Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

(Mike Roach) Longhorns to host four-star safety Larry Turner-Gooden for unofficial visit

Spoiler

The Texas staff continues to work hard to get quality players on campus, and they will host a big target on Monday.

Horns247 has confirmed that four-star Playa Del Ray (Calif.) St. Bernard athlete Larry Turner-Gooden will make an unofficial visit to Texas on Monday, June 21. Turner-Gooden tells Horns247 that it will be a two-day trip and he's looking to return to Austin in the fall for an official trip during the Oklahoma State game.

Turner-Gooden was a major target for Texas during the spring before making a commitment to Arizona State. While he remains committed to Arizona State, the four-star prospect will take his trips. Arizona State is also in the midst of an NCAA investigation centering around hosting visits during the COVID-19 dead period.

Turner-Gooden plays both ways for St. Bernard, but Texas likes him as a safety.

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Greg Biggins describes Turner-Gooden's game in the following way.

"An athletic two-way player who could play safety or receiver in college but projects best as a safety. Plays a physical game with an edge in his game. Has good cover skills and ball awareness and is always around the football. Shows good football instincts and is tough in run support. Has a strong body and has filled out and added size in his upper body over the last year. He shows both short-area quickness and has good long speed as well. He’s an excellent return man and should be able to return punts and kicks at the college level. Plays very hard with a consistent motor and has a strong will to win."

At 6-feet, 179 pounds, Turner-Gooden is ranked as the No. 7 athlete in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Hide contents

IT is hearing that Georgia DT verbal Tyre West (Tift County, GA) could be scheduling an OV to Texas for this weekend, or early next week.

Has been on campus at Auburn and FSU since June 1.

https://247sports.com/player/tyre-west-46083347/

Five minutes later:

Don't be surprised if this doesn't materialize.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Kids post a lot of stupid shit on social media these days. Car/cash is hard to track without a subpeona but it's surprising there aren't videos/pics floating around at Jimbo's ranch where coaches pop on the screen. Or guys like Enai White (?) flying on the Aggy private jet. Or Leon cruising around CS in a Bentley. Yes, a lot of these would require more support to be actionable but still pretty obvious red flags that should get the NCAA looking a lot closer (if they cared).
Cancel culture (due to percieved racism) is real, and the NCAA isnt immune from such nonsense. Take Bear Alexander for instance..the NCAA would essentially be saying there's no way his dad could afford to buy his kid a Chrysler 300 with aftermarket wheels. And tbh I don't even know if thats a 2020/2021 model, could be 5 years old and have 90k miles on the clock...and they arent exactly the most expensive thing you can buy even showroom new.

I mean it's probably going to be paid off by some Geogia booster in an indirect way, but awfully hard to prove, and the accusation could be very insulting to the family if that truly isnt the case.
  • Fuck You 10
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, ousux said:

Cancel culture (due to percieved racism) is real, and the NCAA isnt immune from such nonsense. Take Bear Alexander for instance..the NCAA would essentially be saying there's no way his dad could afford to buy his kid a Chrysler 300 with aftermarket wheels. And tbh I don't even know if thats a 2020/2021 model, could be 5 years old and have 90k miles on the clock...and they arent exactly the most expensive thing you can buy even showroom new.

I mean it's probably going to be paid off by some Geogia booster in an indirect way, but awfully hard to prove, and the accusation could be very insulting to the family if that truly isnt the case.

GIF by Giphy QA

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Allegedly it would "change the balance of power out west", so it would have to be USC or Oregon. Not another school that moves the needle in terms of power out west.

Washington has the most on field success and has recruited consistent top 15-20 classes. I think they’d fit the bill.
Gerry
Spoiler

IT is hearing that Georgia DT verbal Tyre West (Tift County, GA) could be scheduling an OV to Texas for this weekend, or early next week.
Has been on campus at Auburn and FSU since June 1.

https://247sports.com/player/tyre-west-46083347/

I like it. For one, with all these SEC schools trying to poach Texas talent, I like going on offense in their territory. Tons of DL talent in the Deep South, find a couple that wouldn’t mind a change of scenery and go to work. And two, if we’re going into Georgia for elite UGA commit DL, that says something about “commitment,” if you will.
“The NCAA doesn’t investigate violations because of the fear of being cancelled” is quite a take. 

lol seriously. Let’s gloss over the NCAA’s consistent track record of simply not caring and go for dumbass nonsense.

I rarely neg but this is so goddamn stupid. On tapa but bookmarking for later.

Gerry - Best Class Scenario

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst

IT Recruiting Matters: The Texas 2022 best class scenario

The Texas staff is midway through the craziest recruiting month in my two decades in the industry. When Steve Sarkisian said Texas would be #AllGasNoBrakes at his introductory press conference, I’m not sure he knew how fitting it would end up being for the first month of in-person recruiting by the staff.

Even with the addition of Xavier Worthy, the program needs more speed and playmaking at wide receiver, as well as needing more big bodies with long arms on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

With 11 commitments on the board headed into the all-important June 18 official visit weekend that will include at least 11 combined four and five-star prospects, the class is on track to have a shot as one of the top 10 in the country with the possibility remaining of a top 5 finish if the staff shoots the moon at wide receiver and defensive back.

Today, it’s time to look at the best class scenario without a hard class number taken into account as the staff will not sign all 29 prospects listed. But signing 25 from this list with the juggling the staff has to do would make for a very good first full class.

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra
6-5, 225
Committed to: #AllGasNoBrakes
Murphy showed this spring the arm talent that makes him an intriguing developmental prospect.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain
5-10.5, 205
Blue's Clues runs 10.8 FAT at over 200 pounds, and possesses elite hands out of the backfield. Will be interesting to see if he changes his mind about playing football his senior season. Blue is on the list because he’s committed, or I would go with Jamarion Miller.

RB Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burges
5-10, 185
The competition: TCU
A recruitment that will come down to Texas saying yes or no. The Longhorns will take a second back in the class, and Jones wants to raise his hand first.

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty
6-0, 175
The skinny: Texas vs. SEC
Freak athlete that is a “must get” for Texas in the 2022 cycle. Florida had a successful OV, he has been to Texas A&M this week, and will make his OV to Texas this weekend.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland High
6-1, 185
Where it stands: Hudson finally decommitted from Oklahoma after being a soft commitment for months. Texas and SMU have emerged as the top two schools, but it’s early.
Hudson has the best hands in America in 2022, and sneaky athleticism featuring excellent balance and lower body strength.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman
5-10, 165
The competition: Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Clemson, Alabama and Oregon
After posting the 10.4 after a slower start to the track season than expected, all the top programs are all in once again. Texas has never wavered, and Thompson is considered a near “must get” by the staff. Thompson and his mother will be on campus in Austin this weekend, followed by an OV to Texas A&M.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville
6-2, 180
Looked smoother and quicker than ever at March Under Armour Camp Dallas, where he ran a 4.59 laser forty.

TE Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (CA)
6-3, 225
The competition: Arizona State
Boardingham informed IT that he is rescheduling his OV to Arizona State that was supposed to be this weekend. He will make his OV to Texas June 24-26.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
6-5, 300
Inside skinny: Texas still leads Texas A&M and LSU with Oklahoma State and Oregon also having received OV’s. Plays for Lifetime Longhorn Kenny Harrison at Summer Creek.

OT Cameron Williams, Duncanville
6-5.5, 375
The competition: Oklahoma, Oregon, Miami
Texas has been rising with Williams since offering, and the agile big man will be in Austin June 25-27. Oregon impressed, as did Miami, and this weekend the early favorite Oklahoma will take a swing with a commitment date scheduled for July 1. Could Jacob Sexton beat Williams to the punch?

OG Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
6-3.5, 317
The inside skinny without Steve McKinney: Texas continues to be in a good spot with Oklahoma, USC and others chasing. A “must get” for Texas, but this recruitment will play out for a while. An OV to Texas during the season will happen.

OG Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake
6-4, 295
The competition: Northwestern June 11-13 OV and Stanford June 25-27 OV
Should Robertson want to be part of Texas’ class, the Longhorns would happily take him.

C/G Cole Hutson, Frisco High
6-5, 305
The compeition: Oklahoma and Texas A&M
Hutson was part of the very successful official visit weekend at Texas June 11-13. Trips to Oklahoma and Texas A&M are up the next two weekends, but the Longhorns remain in a good spot.

DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
6-4, 275
The real contenders: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama
When IT first stopped by Bremond, Oklahoma was the first school mentioned as having Bledsoe’s attention. Bo Davis has the best position coach relationship, and the mom likes the message about getting the academics set up. Where Bledsoe visits in June is the question, but Texas is expected June 25-27.

DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore
6-3, 279
Getting Ross on campus two weekends in a row is huge for Texas with TCU and Oklahoma trying to make pushes in June.

DT Zac Swanson, Brophy College prep (AZ)
6-3, 255

DE/T Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (AL)
6-2, 260
The competition: Michigan, Stanford, Colorado
A Texas vs. Stanford and Michigan battle, unless Alabama goes all in. The Longhorns receive the last OV of the month June 25-27.

EDGE/DE Derrick Brown, Texas High
6-4, 205
The competition: Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Baylor
Texas is in a good spot after the June 4-6 OV. A long time until that mid-September OV to Norman.

OLB/EDGE Anthony Jones, Liberty (NV)
6-4.5, 240

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin
6-1, 195
A hidden gem in terms of being a guy that is an active recruiter for the Longhorns in the class.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy Park
6-2.5, 205
The competition: Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU
Both Texas and Texas A&M have had the athletic freak on campus for OV’s the last two weekends. Mom prefers close to home (she lives in Cypress), while dad likes idea of Alabama (he lives in New Orleans). This recruitment will very likely go the distance into December or January.

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (IL)
6-2.5, 210
The competition: North Carolina, Notre Dame and Michigan
A Texas vs. Mack Brown recruitment? Looks that way if Notre Dame doesn’t go all in this weekend.

S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo
6-0, 185
Favorite IT poster is @keganr

N/CB/S Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
5-11.5, 190
The competition: Texas A&M and Alabama
James Brown vs. Chip Ambres recruitment … James continues to predict the Longhorns! IT still believes this is an in-state decision despite an OV to Alabama this weekend.

N/S/CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial
6-0, 180
Was on campus at TCU last weekend, and the Frogs believe they have a real shot to flip.

CB/N/S Terrance Brooks, Plano John Paul II
5-11.5, 185
The competition: Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Oregon
Brooks has made OV’s to Oregon and Florida, and will end the month with Texas June 18-20, Ohio State June 21-23 and Alabama June 25-27

CB Denver Harris, North Shore
6-1, 180
The competition: Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU and Georgia
Texas has a fight on their hands, and the main one throwing punches has seven rings and 7,000 first round draft picks.

K Will Stone, Austin Regents School
6-0, 175

LS Lance St. Louis, Williams Field (AZ)
6-1, 215

7 hours ago, ousux said:

negged for being one of the dumbest fucking things I have read on a Longhorn recruiting board in the 20+ years I've been following them, so congrats for that I guess

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You'd think we'd want Sexton over one of the center guys (Hutson/Robertson) as well.

Yeah, one of of Huston/Robertson with Neto or Sexton as the fifth take certainly seems more ideal.

I’m also a little surprised he didn’t put Sexton in there since he’s thought to be one of the two silents. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wouldn't think this will have any effect on his relationship with IT. It will be very interesting to see if IT becomes on3 affiliated, however. 

It looks like Gerry will be the equivalent of what Biggins/Ivins/Dohn/Huffman etc are at 247, and likely cover Texas. Good point on a potential acquisition. If they're using the old playbook, that's how you build a sub base. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It looks like Gerry will be the equivalent of what Biggins/Ivins/Dohn/Huffman etc are at 247, and likely cover Texas. Good point on a potential acquisition. If they're using the old playbook, that's how you build a sub base. 

I only said that because I believe it was referenced by a poster here or elsewhere that on3 might be acquiring or tempting existing fan communities to move over, or I could be making this up completely and weaving it directly from the dark bowels of my own asshole. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I only said that because I believe it was referenced by a poster here or elsewhere that on3 might be acquiring or tempting existing fan communities to move over, or I could be making this up completely and weaving it directly from the dark bowels of my own asshole. 

Will they acquire us? Paging @immamac

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Here is Gerry's post regarind On3....as you will notice he changed it from ESPN analyst to on3.

Gerry Hamilton

Senior National Recruiting Analyst On3.com

An announcement to the Inside Texas community

Wanted to give the great Inside Texas community an update. I have joined On3.com as a Senior National Recruiting Analyst. I’m not one to make a big deal about leaving one job for another on social media, but I resigned from my position as part of ESPN Recruiting and Under Armour All-American Game and camps selection committee May 31. I’m extremely excited to be part of On3, and once again work for Shannon Terry with the common goal of building the best product in the recruiting industry.

On3.com will be the market dominator in the industry in the near future. Shannon Terry has already announced Ivan Maisel and Matt Zenitz to lead the college football writing and reporting team, and Chad Simmons and myself to help lead up the national recruiting team.

My job will also include being part of the national recruiting/evaluations team in basketball.

It’s very important to note that my work at On3 will not affect my ability to help bring Inside Texas the best coverage possible, it will only make it better.

https://www.on3.com/news/gerry-hamilton-joins-on3-com-as-senior-national-recruiting-analyst/

Gerry Hamilton Joins On3.com as Senior National Recruiting Analyst

Growing up in the Friday night high school football world in Texas, there was little doubt that my career would be in sports. Whether it was being the ball boy for a team my father was coaching, the countless car rides with my father to watch high school games being scouted, or sitting in the Astrodome with friends watching a playoff game in November, following top football prospects and where they would be attending college became a passion.

I was lucky enough to get into the industry with Rivals.com, and instantly knew that this would be my career path. The excitement to wake up, grab a cup of coffee and hit the road to see the top football and basketball prospects around the state of Texas and nationally has never felt like a job. Sure, I have always had a passion for the job; but being a member of great and talented teams with common goals is what has made a career enjoyable for many years.

Now two decades later in the business, I have never been this excited about an opportunity. I have worked for Shannon Terry before and have a full understanding that the team at On3.com will jell and work hard together to create a great product for fans, but it’s the continued growth and vision in the industry by Shannon that has me all in on the next part of the journey in the business.

Shannon Terry’s vision and ability to adapt to the changes in the recruiting industry is why I am here. From advances in the way information is delivered to fans, being on the cutting edge from technology standpoint, building the most comprehensive database in the recruiting industry and blending great college football writing and news breaking with elite recruiting coverage; Shannon will once again raise the bar in the industry with On3.com.

To begin this journey on a team with Ivan Maisel, Matt Zenitz, Chad Simmons was a no brainer, and I’m blessed that Shannon asked me to be a part of the team. Having covered many events with Chad Simmons over the last decade plus, there isn’t another recruiting analyst I would pick to work alongside.

I can’t wait for fans to see this product that Shannon and the team are putting together, and the team that deliver the vision for On3.com.

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wouldn't think this will have any effect on his relationship with IT. It will be very interesting to see if IT becomes on3 affiliated, however. 

48 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

damn that was fast.. he just joined IT a few months ago.. Wonder if Burton will now go after Howe

IT will "probably" be a flagship site for On3. Gerry will "probably" continue working with IT. Burton is "probably" not only not surprised but an architect of the whole thing along with Terry. 

There will be a new standard in recruiting coverage and rankings by summer's end. The 247 composite will either need to add another service's numbers to their math or get left behind.

The Rivals network isn't being supported with any effort from Verizon and will be a boneyard, picked over for value, over the course of the next year. Orangebloods, a site so bloated and lazy that they pretty much depend on other analysts in their network for any information of value, is going to be laughably behind the other UT sites who are actually doing work and paying attention. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Rivals network isn't being supported with any effort from Verizon and will be a boneyard, picked over for value, over the course of the next year. Orangebloods, a site so bloated and lazy that they pretty much depend on other analysts in their network for any information of value, is going to be laughably behind the other UT sites who are actually doing work and paying attention. 

OrangeBloods has been behind. They are surviving off inertia and consumer ignorance.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

IT will "probably" be a flagship site for On3. Gerry will "probably" continue working with IT. Burton is "probably" not only not surprised but an architect of the whole thing along with Terry. 

There will be a new standard in recruiting coverage and rankings by summer's end. The 247 composite will either need to add another service's numbers to their math or get left behind.

re: composite

can't they just he On3's rankings in place of Rivals?

Just now, NoName said:

re: composite

can't they just he On3's rankings in place of Rivals?

They’re not going to replace Rivals. They had 4 grades in the composite when Scout was around. I’m sure they’ll add On3 when it gets going.

The real question is whether On3’s evals will be so much better than the competition that people quit using the composite as the standard. Right now with ESPN and Rivals making up 2/3 of the composite, it’s already a pretty shitty metric. There just isn’t anything else that’s clearly better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They’re not going to replace Rivals. They had 4 grades in the composite when Scout was around. I’m sure they’ll add On3 when it gets going.

The real question is whether On3’s evals will be so much better than the competition that people quit using the composite as the standard. Right now with ESPN and Rivals making up 2/3 of the composite, it’s already a pretty shitty metric. There just isn’t anything else that’s clearly better. 

In my eyes the composite is always going to be pretty close to the standard just because it is taking a high variance data point (state/national/position rankings) and smoothing them out somewhat by adding more data points and averaging them together.

If On3 is fantastic, then it will still take them a couple of years to get that track record in place (and CTJ has said they have a new way of measuring things and ranking i think?)

I just don't see how they keep Rivals medium term if it continues to just be trash.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting