Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

(Super K) Texas has Harold Perkins’ Attention

Spoiler

Yesterday, I spoke with 2022 5-star LB, Harold Perkins (Cy Park) and let’s just say, Texas knocked this visit out of the park.

Let me bottom line this for you.

***Harold really didn’t expect to like this visit as much as he did. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say (and he has said) that in some ways it was just an official visit because he had the weekend free to take one.

***Texas was in the mix to some degree but not to any significant degree.

***That has changed in a big way.

***I asked Harold to rate his TAMU visit and he gave it a 10/10. I know he likes TAMU. He has a longstanding relationship with the coaches there. And, he’s close to some of the commits. So, that didn’t surprise me.

***Harold is a straight shooter so I knew he’d tell me what he really thought of Texas. He gave it an emphatic 10/10.

***He gave his recent LSU visit an 8/10 but he is headed back there for a return visit this weekend. He’s originally from the area and spends a lot of time in Louisiana.

***With Texas A&M, Harold himself admitted that his own view of it may have been enhanced by the fact that he was around his friends.

***But with Texas he said three things really stood out to him.

***First, he loved how real Sark and Banks are. It’s clear he connected with them. That will be important down the road. Harold is big on relationships.

***He also loved the fact that while TAMU and other schools are recruiting him as a linebacker, Texas pitched him on playing that big nickel spot.

***Lastly, he said the new stadium and what he sees it’s going to be, blew him away.

***Harold said he will definitely be back for a game.

***Texas made a major impression here and I think for Harold, it was a bit unexpected.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Super K) Texas has Harold Perkins’ Attention

Hide contents

Yesterday, I spoke with 2022 5-star LB, Harold Perkins (Cy Park) and let’s just say, Texas knocked this visit out of the park.

Let me bottom line this for you.

***Harold really didn’t expect to like this visit as much as he did. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say (and he has said) that in some ways it was just an official visit because he had the weekend free to take one.

***Texas was in the mix to some degree but not to any significant degree.

***That has changed in a big way.

***I asked Harold to rate his TAMU visit and he gave it a 10/10. I know he likes TAMU. He has a longstanding relationship with the coaches there. And, he’s close to some of the commits. So, that didn’t surprise me.

***Harold is a straight shooter so I knew he’d tell me what he really thought of Texas. He gave it an emphatic 10/10.

***He gave his recent LSU visit an 8/10 but he is headed back there for a return visit this weekend. He’s originally from the area and spends a lot of time in Louisiana.

***With Texas A&M, Harold himself admitted that his own view of it may have been enhanced by the fact that he was around his friends.

***But with Texas he said three things really stood out to him.

***First, he loved how real Sark and Banks are. It’s clear he connected with them. That will be important down the road. Harold is big on relationships.

***He also loved the fact that while TAMU and other schools are recruiting him as a linebacker, Texas pitched him on playing that big nickel spot.

***Lastly, he said the new stadium and what he sees it’s going to be, blew him away.

***Harold said he will definitely be back for a game.

***Texas made a major impression here and I think for Harold, it was a bit unexpected.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Who were the other main players for Hyphen? I know we were up there but can't remember who else.

That would be a huge pickup. Great to get him on campus although too bad he won't be here with Maalik and co.

i thought ou was a player for him but i could be wrong

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Gerry's best case scenario class seems a little meh on defense outside of DB.

This underwhelms you? Really?

DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
6-4, 275
The real contenders: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama
When IT first stopped by Bremond, Oklahoma was the first school mentioned as having Bledsoe’s attention. Bo Davis has the best position coach relationship, and the mom likes the message about getting the academics set up. Where Bledsoe visits in June is the question, but Texas is expected June 25-27.

DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore
6-3, 279
Committed to: #AllGasNoBrakes
Getting Ross on campus two weekends in a row is huge for Texas with TCU and Oklahoma trying to make pushes in June.

DT Zac Swanson, Brophy College prep (AZ)
6-3, 255

DE/T Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (AL)
6-2, 260
The competition: Michigan, Stanford, Colorado
A Texas vs. Stanford and Michigan battle, unless Alabama goes all in. The Longhorns receive the last OV of the month June 25-27.

EDGE/DE Derrick Brown, Texas High
6-4, 205
The competition: Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Baylor
Texas is in a good spot after the June 4-6 OV. A long time until that mid-September OV to Norman.

OLB/EDGE Anthony Jones, Liberty (NV)
6-4.5, 240

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin
6-1, 195
A hidden gem in terms of being a guy that is an active recruiter for the Longhorns in the class.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy Park
6-2.5, 205
The competition: Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU
Both Texas and Texas A&M have had the athletic freak on campus for OV’s the last two weekends. Mom prefers close to home (she lives in Cypress), while dad likes idea of Alabama (he lives in New Orleans). This recruitment will very likely go the distance into December or January.

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (IL)
6-2.5, 210
The competition: North Carolina, Notre Dame and Michigan
A Texas vs. Mack Brown recruitment? Looks that way if Notre Dame doesn’t go all in this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Compared to the offensive side, yeah I think so. Which of those guys is a true difference maker other than Perkins? 

So, working with the headwind of a fairly meh year at DL and LB in-state, you're going to underwhelmed with closing the borders to take the two best in-state DTs and the [second-]best EDGE, supplementing that with two OOS bluechips and a good developmental take on the line, and adding a 5-star, an OOS bluechip, and a class leader at LB?

You've got some wild expectations, man.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The Rivals network isn't being supported with any effort from Verizon and will be a boneyard, picked over for value, over the course of the next year. Orangebloods, a site so bloated and lazy that they pretty much depend on other analysts in their network for any information of value, is going to be laughably behind the other UT sites who are actually doing work and paying attention. 

Geoff Ketchum responds:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So, working with the headwind of a fairly meh year at DL and LB in-state, you're going to underwhelmed with closing the borders to take the two best in-state DTs and the [second-]best EDGE, supplementing that with two OOS bluechips and a good developmental take on the line, and adding a 5-star, an OOS bluechip, and a class leader at LB?

You've got some wild expectations, man.

You seem to have conveniently eliminated all the elite DL and EDGEs we don’t have a chance with. Bear Alexander, Abor, and Sylla all still exist.

There’s also a difference between the staff doing their best with the situation presented and the ceiling on the ideal front 7 being somewhat weak compared to the offense or to most other cycles.

Right now, we’re not in it for a true difference maker on the DL, like an Alfred Collins or even a Leal type. I like Harris a lot and think he’ll be great but that ideal DL and Edge combo doesn’t exactly blow you away, especially since it doesn’t seem all that realistic. We’re almost definitely not getting Perkins and the odds of us landing Bledsoe and Finkley seem pretty low. 

I think the staff will put together a good defensive class, but the ceiling on the class seems lower than most years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You seem to have conveniently eliminated all the elite DL and EDGEs we don’t have a chance with. Bear Alexander, Abor, and Sylla all still exist.

Man, Sylla and Bear as well, you're right. Well, at least I didn't forget any linebackers.

Roach on Hudson

Spoiler

As was first reported by Jason Suchomel at Orangebloods, Garland WR Jordan Hudson has an unofficial visit planned for Texas on Sunday. Today he’s starting an official trip to SMU according to a source near him. This source I spoke with said that SMU moved swiftly once Hudson decommitted and could close the deal on the visit. If he and his family like what they see from the Ponies, I don’t expect them to make it to Austin on Sunday. I went ahead and entered a Crystal Ball for SMU.

• Rage+1 1

It's infuriating to think that keeping Samples here would have given us a huge leg up in DFW.  We were in it for every Duncanville prospect and guys like Camar Wheaton who was on commit watch because of Samples.  Instead we hired a fucking analyst that cannot recruit and has yet to show he can develop our WRs.  

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Hudson

Hide contents

As was first reported by Jason Suchomel at Orangebloods, Garland WR Jordan Hudson has an unofficial visit planned for Texas on Sunday. Today he’s starting an official trip to SMU according to a source near him. This source I spoke with said that SMU moved swiftly once Hudson decommitted and could close the deal on the visit. If he and his family like what they see from the Ponies, I don’t expect them to make it to Austin on Sunday. I went ahead and entered a Crystal Ball for SMU.

So...Roach is predicting with some level of certainty that SMU is going to land their highest rated recruit since the death penalty?

Pull yourself together, Mike. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Hudson

Hide contents

tenor.gif?itemid=13829919

• Like 1

Just now, victory88 said:

It's infuriating to think that keeping Samples here would have given us a huge leg up in DFW.  We were in it for every Duncanville prospect and guys like Camar Wheaton who was on commit watch because of Samples.  Instead we hired a fucking analyst that cannot recruit and has yet to show he can develop our WRs.  

I fully support your frustration, but literally none of this is correct

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

When Sark first showed up and started knocking commitments out of the park I thought "this thread will be lucky to hit 600 pages, let alone 1,000."  But I have the feeling that we're about to see a wild and wooly recruiting year the likes of which we've never seen. Commitments, decommitments, the Portal, and now the impact of the NIL ... Let's just say that I've got my seatbelts on. 

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I fully support your frustration, but literally none of this is correct

I know his resume is solid, but I saw shitty WR play last year and the spring game.  On top of that, we aren't exactly killing it in WR recruiting either.  Given the chance to go back, I'd still go with Samples over Coleman based on their 1.5 years at their respective programs.  Just my opinion

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Hudson

Hide contents

imagine being a top flight WR and picking SMU over OU.

it's almost as dumb as picking A&M over Bama in the same scenario.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Hudson

Hide contents

This won’t happen (or stick) as assured by @closetojumping  

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s also a difference between the staff doing their best with the situation presented and the ceiling on the ideal front 7 being somewhat weak compared to the offense or to most other cycles.
Right now, we’re not in it for a true difference maker on the DL, like an Alfred Collins or even a Leal type. I like Harris a lot and think he’ll be great but that ideal DL and Edge combo doesn’t exactly blow you away, especially since it doesn’t seem all that realistic. We’re almost definitely not getting Perkins and the odds of us landing Bledsoe and Finkley seem pretty low. 

I think the staff will put together a good defensive class, but the ceiling on the class seems lower than most years. 

I think it's an underwhelming even given the points you've raised. I think there are some good players in that "best case" list (some that we simply aren't getting) but it's list full of undersized guys that have limited frames and/or limited athleticism. You can chalk up some of the losses to social fits (like Abor) and scheme etc ... but there's no way to look at that best case list and not come away thinking that at best it's an undersized group that lacks elite athleticism. At this point I'd like to see a focus put into finding some bigger raw athletes with higher athletic upside. More focus on guys like McClellan instead of Finkley, another guy with a small maxed out frame, for example. Especially with the need for guys to have positional flexibility in this scheme. Derrick Brown and Chris McClellan would help me feel much better about the front seven - but even they are guys that should be our second tier.  Those guys should be rounding out a defensive class at Texas - not headlining it. Guys like Abor, Bear, and Sylla are miles ahead in terms of talent, frame, and athleticism. We weren't getting them (for various reasons) but the gap between them and their frames/athleticism and guys like Finkley/Bledsoe/Swanson/Ross is substantial. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Guys like Abor, Bear, and Sylla are miles ahead in terms of talent, frame, and athleticism. We weren't getting them (for various reasons) but the gap between them and their frames/athleticism and guys like Finkley/Bledsoe/Swanson/Ross is substantial. 

Anthony Jones is 1.5" taller and 40lbs heavier than we saw him as a Sophomore. Judging some of the West Coast guys and saying that they are less developed than some of the guys in the South may be a mistake. COVID is masking many people's views this recruiting year. Although the $9.95ers usually don't have big changes in their evaluations, I suspect that they should once the high school senior football seasons begin.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I know his resume is solid, but I saw shitty WR play last year and the spring game.  On top of that, we aren't exactly killing it in WR recruiting either.  Given the chance to go back, I'd still go with Samples over Coleman based on their 1.5 years at their respective programs.  Just my opinion

Stop being a pussy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mantis toboggan said:

This won’t happen (or stick) as assured by @closetojumping  

All I did was call everyone's manhood into question for handwringing about SMU. I don't know if the fucking guy actually winds up there or not, but who wants to live life worrying about an AAC team that is the only embarrassment in college sports history to have received a fucking death penalty? Mike Roach, apparently. I'd hope none of the rest of us.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All I did was call everyone's manhood into question for handwringing about SMU. I don't know if the fucking guy actually winds up there or not, but who wants to live life worrying about an AAC team that is the only embarrassment in college sports history to have received a fucking death penalty? Mike Roach, apparently. I'd hope none of the rest of us.

That’s not all you did. You gave me hope  

morgan freeman quote GIF

• Haha 1

In all seriousness, this strategy - and I am talking about the option 2 scenario you wrote about as the new Sark approach to our football recruiting against the Sec and other bag games. Does this take time to work effectively?  More patience needed?  Seems like the current results are not indicative of a successful working “play the game” strategy that I am hoping we are truly going to attempt. 

I see visits by Georgia commits and dewberry and Perkins showing up in Austin so I get encouraged then i see worrisome tea leaves rumors of guys we thought were silent locks on mid week trips to aggy (as an example)and get the feeling of all brakes no gas. 

I assume a lot of UT fans are just not used to the wild swings that come from an era of essentially open pay for play. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting