Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

This is something I really enjoy about recruiting at this time of year. Some guy off everybody's radar suddenly starts emitting a blip. I don't know anything about him nor would I know what to make of any film he has out there on the ol' internet. 

Thanks for posting the link to Mr. N/A on 247. Be interesting to see what happens.

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There is a distinctive lack of "knocking it out of the park" after "rolling out the red carpet," although absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. 

spacer.png

And was not single recruit blown away and given something to think about?'

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Well these officials that everyone is taking right now would have been in late winter early spring time frame, but there was the Covid dead period. I think a lot of these kids would already be committed in a non pandemic recruiting cycle. Usually June and July are pretty quiet for recruiting purposes, and it's really the only time coaches get to take any type of vacation as they prepare for fall camp in August.

Unlike Jimbo who won't let a little thing like recruiting come between him and Margaritaville, I don't think Sark and company will be pushing for commitments cuz they have a plane to catch

He's going on safari hunting in Africa.

Edited by texifornia

52 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

You're @South Austin's dad?

Aalso, this kid took time to take a pic with your son. Tell your son not to be a complete douchebag. 

I don’t disagree, if I would have been there that shit wouldn’t have went down. Not a fan of the whorns down, seems Busch league to me. But he’s a 14 year old kid

• Fuck You 5

17 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.295d004969119cce7f530e7cb6b6eadf.png

It sucks that he is rated as an athlete. On 247, there are all different body types as "athletes" so comparing one to another is pretty pointless. I wonder how he rates compared to our other corner targets. By numbers alone, he is higher rated than Allen and Guilbeau.

Edited by Bevo

59 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It sucks that he is rated as an athlete. On 247, there are all different body types as "athletes" so comparing one to another is pretty pointless. I wonder how he rates compared to our other corner targets. By numbers alone, he is higher rated than Allen and Guilbeau.

LTG? I think he’s a safety at the next level 

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) Afternoon Delight: Commitment coming for Texas?

Hide contents

— Newton running back DeAnthony Gatson will make his decision tomorrow. I've been going back and forth over this one for a while, but I've decided to enter a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick in favor of Texas. When Gatson made his visit to Austin a few weeks ago, we heard very strong feedback regarding the trip, but there was still some uncertainty about where Texas saw him. When the Longhorns canceled the visit of Tavorus Jones this weekend, I was told it was a strong indicator about where Texas stood with another back in the class. Complicating the matter was the confidence at USC about landing him, but after talking to folks today, I'm moving forward with a cautiously optimistic Texas pick.

— LSU commit Jacoby Mathews made an official visit to Texas A&M last week. I had heard during the spring that Texas still expected to get Mathews on campus, so I checked around to see if he might take a trip this week. I was told that Mathews was kicking the idea around but nothing is set in stone at the moment. One source I spoke with said they didn't believe he'd ultimately make the trip. Additionally, I checked with Florida commit Isaiah Bond who was scheduled for an official visit next week. Bond made trips to Miami and Alabama, but he told me he will not be making the trip to Austin.

— Beaumont Westbrook safety Bryce Anderson has been back and forth about his decision date and visit to Texas. I was told today that the current plan was still to come in on Saturday after his team is done with the state 7v7 tournament. While he teased the idea of moving the decision date back, a source I spoke with still expects him to decide on July 4. Anderson and his family are still working out if this weekend will be official or unofficial.

— Tenaha linebacker Jeremy Patton is still making his visits. Texas made a huge first impression on him, but he wants to take in the whole experience. Texas is working on getting Patton to return for an unofficial visit sometime this summer to try and solidify their position. Patton is currently looking at an October decision date, but he could move that up depending on how he feels.

So Anderson is going to be this year’s Guy That Sticks to an Early Commitment Date That Literally Nobody is Forcing Him to Stick to Even Though He Doesn’t Know Where He Wants to Go. 

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s a cali kid but dad is wearing a Texas Rangers jersey?

I thought there might be ties but I didn't see any. It was probably the only Texas thing his dad had in his closet.

Meet Larry Turner-Gooden, the jewel of Arizona State’s next recruiting class

ltg1.jpg
By Doug Haller Mar 3, 2021 comment-icon@2x.png 3 save-icon@2x.png

TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State landed its biggest commitment in years last week, securing a pledge from Larry Turner-Gooden, a four-star prospect from St. Bernard High in Playa Del Rey, Calif. According to the 247Sports Composite rankings, Turner-Gooden is the No. 6 “athlete” and the No. 57 overall prospect in the 2022 class. The Sun Devils recruited him to play safety.

Five things to know about Turner-Gooden’s decision:

1. He’s in great demand — and that won’t stop

Turner-Gooden made the announcement on his mother’s birthday. That same day, several Oregon coaches texted Asia Gooden to wish her a happy birthday. Keithan Gooden Sr., the safety’s father, said Alabama sent him a text message Sunday. “I’m also told that USC said that it’s not over until it’s over,” Gooden Sr. said.

It’s not. Nothing is official until Turner-Gooden signs, but the Sun Devils are in a good spot. Arizona State, Nevada and Colorado were among the first to offer Turner-Gooden, but that list grew quickly and impressively. Per 247Sports, he has scholarship offers from heavyweights such as Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Oregon, Miami and Notre Dame. New Texas coach Steve Sarkisian has also come on strong.

“I think the bigger surprise is how quickly he committed with the offers that he had and knowing how hard Texas was coming after him,” said Brandon Huffman, national recruiting editor for 247Sports. “I think (Arizona State) — absolutely no pun intended — they’re going to have to keep their eye on Texas, and, obviously, USC’s not going to let him go, either.”

After Turner-Gooden said he was ready to commit, his father told him to make sure he understood the pros and cons, and to be a man of his word. Turner-Gooden replied that he was ready. He became the fourth-highest rated prospect to ever commit to Arizona State, according to 247Sports.

Vontaze Burfict
LB
Zach Miller
TE
Jayden Daniels
QB
?
Larry Turner-Gooden
DB
?
Terrell Suggs
OLB

2. Turner-Gooden has strong Arizona State ties

The biggest cliche in recruiting: “It’s all about relationships.” This time, it is. Although Turner-Gooden was in great demand, his ties to the Sun Devils stood strong. Among them:

Linebackers coach Chris Claiborne: Before transferring to St. Bernard, Turner-Gooden played for Claiborne at Calabasas High. A former USC star, Claiborne worked on the USC quality control staff before joining Arizona State in January as linebackers coach. Claiborne is like family. “We talk all the time, and it’s not just about football,” said Gooden Sr., who has two sons and a nephew who have played for Claiborne. “We have some of the same stuff in common. We grew up a little bit of the same way. He’s just always been there for my boys.”

Defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce: Like most everyone who comes out of Southern California, the Turner-Gooden family has known Pierce dating to his coaching days at Long Beach Poly.

Defensive backs coach Chris Hawkins: In Southern California, Turner-Gooden plays for the Ground Zero 7-on-7 program. It was co-founded by Armond Hawkins Sr., father of Arizona State defensive backs coach Chris Hawkins. Since joining Edwards’ staff, Chris Hawkins has been a strong recruiter, in large part because he’s young enough to relate to high school prospects. “And I think that means a lot,” Gooden Sr. said. “Knowing there’s someone there you can trust. Or just being able to talk with someone when you’re away from home.”

Receivers coach Prentice Gill: At St. Bernard, Turner-Gooden plays for Manuel Douglas, who spent the bulk of his coaching career at Narbonne High. There, Douglas coached Gill, who is now the assistant recruiting coordinator for the Sun Devils. In fact, Gill’s dad, Robert, is godfather to Douglas’ son and assists the St. Bernard staff.

Receiver Johnny Wilson: Turner-Gooden was a teammate of the Arizona State second-year player at Calabasas. In practice, he went up against not only Wilson but also Jermaine Burton, a four-star prospect who signed with Georgia. “I took my wins and losses,” Turner-Gooden told RecruitingNewsGuru.

All these ties provide a comfort level that will make it difficult for Turner-Gooden to change his mind no matter which school comes calling.

3. He compares well to an Arizona State linebacker

At Narbonne Douglas coached linebacker Darien Butler, an inspirational story now entering his fourth season at Arizona State. Coming out of high school, Butler attracted little Division I interest. College coaches contacted Douglas about four-star prospect Raymond Scott, who had great size at 6-2 and 225 pounds. Douglas told everyone the 5-11 Butler was his best linebacker, but college coaches wanted size. Scott ended up at USC.

Butler ended up at Arizona State for one reason: Pierce had gone up against Narbonne and Butler when he was head coach at Long Beach Poly. He knew Butler could play, and he was right. At Arizona State, Butler started as a true freshman and twice has been voted team captain. This is something in which Douglas takes great pride. He said nine Narbonne players have gone on to become college captains. Turner-Gooden, he said, has the makeup to one day join them.

“I think Larry after football, whether he’s fortunate enough to make it to the NFL or not, that’s between him and God,” said Gooden Sr. “Me and my wife just needed to get him to college. I think after he’s done with his football career, he’ll be a coach. And he’ll be a great coach.”

4. Turner-Gooden is a well-rounded talent

Keithan Gooden Sr., grew up a basketball player, but he raised a football secondary. Julius Childs was a starting cornerback at Youngstown State. Keithan Jr. was a defensive back at Idaho State. Turner-Gooden grew up wearing his older brother’s jerseys and helmets around the house. Early in his high school career, Turner-Gooden (6-feet, 188 pounds) was listed as one of Southern California’s top young receivers, but as he matured, he appeared better suited for defense.

“He can play safety, he can play nickel, he can be the receiver,” Huffman said. “He’s really well put together. There’s not any bad weight. He’s (gotten) thicker. When I saw him two weeks ago, his lower trunk was getting a little thicker, not in a bad way, he was just filling out. And I think as he’s started to fill out, that’s given him more confidence in press coverage because he’s got the strength to knock a guy off inside five yards. But he hasn’t lost any of the athleticism that really stood out about him early on.”

Although Turner-Gooden has been at St. Bernard for a year, he has not yet played because COVID-19 shut down the 2020 season. Defensive coordinator John Landwehr is impressed just from what he’s seen in pod workouts.

“First off, he’s a great kid,” Landwehr said. “His academics are phenomenal. He’s a ‘Yes-sir, no-sir’ kind of guy. Everything you tell him, he soaks it in like a sponge. And what’s nice is, he has the athletic ability to where if you ask him to do something, he’s immediately able to do it physically. That’s been a great thing. His football IQ is spectacular. He can match routes and he’ll be right on top of the guy. Obviously, we haven’t seen him (in games) yet, but what we have seen, we’ve been very happy about.”

5. Proximity is important

At one point, Gooden Sr. said Turner-Gooden favored Clemson. To this day, Dabo Swinney’s program sends Turner-Gooden the most mail. And that was exciting, tempting. “It’s hard because when they’re gong to the national championship and final four every year, you got to think about it,” Gooden Sr. said. “But at the end of the day, you got to make it make sense. I feel like Larry can go anywhere and compete, but sometimes it’s just about being in the right situation.”

Plus, he pointed out, Turner-Gooden is a “mama’s boy.” He couldn’t go too far.

“We’re a family,” he said. “We always want him to be somewhere where he can trust people. No disrespect to any other college because I think all of them were the same, but ASU and USC, they always showed a lot of support. I felt like Larry wanted to get away from home a little, but not too far.”

(Photo courtesy of Brandon Huffman / 247Sports)

Visitor list for this weekend, from Roach. He's still working for confirmation on Anderson.

Spoiler

Jaylon Guilbeau

Arlis Boardingham

Justice Finkley

J'Mond Tapp

Aaron Bryant

TJ Dudley

Keith Miles Jr

Cameron Williams

Austin Jordan

There will also be a ton of guys in for camps over the last few days.

Edited by Machinator

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So Anderson is going to be this year’s Guy That Sticks to an Early Commitment Date That Literally Nobody is Forcing Him to Stick to Even Though He Doesn’t Know Where He Wants to Go. 

He's already

- committed to LSU

- decommitted from LSU

- set multiple commitment dates after that, and moved them back

"Stick" and "Early" are not in his vocabulary.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Jaylon Guilbeau

Arlis Boardingham

Justice Finkley

J'Mond Tapp

Aaron Bryant

TJ Dudley

Keith Miles Jr

Cameron Williams

Austin Jordan

There will also be a ton of guys in for camps over the last few days.

That is a great group: It also consists of guys I seem to always forget about. I could easily see Williams and Boardingham in the class.

Mike at Night: Texas hosting two big visitors today and tomorrow

Spoiler

— Larry Turner-Gooden arrived in Austin today for a two-day unofficial visit with his family. The four-star safety and Arizona State commit has been increasing his contact with Texas lately, and an unofficial trip to Austin shows how serious he is about the Longhorns. I caught up briefly with Turner-Gooden who spent some time with the staff tonight and has a full list of activities planned tomorrow with an early start. I should be able to catch up with him tomorrow for more.

— Elite tight end target Jaleel Skinner is also on campus for a visit. Skinner has been talking about taking a trip to Austin since the spring, and it's big for Texas that they managed to get him to Austin. Skinner has four official visits booked having been on two already, and Texas is angling to get him to return to Austin for another. We are attempting to get in contact with Skinner as well and catch up after the trip.

— It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but Maalik Murphy has been in contact with both of these guys tonight. Murphy said he FaceTimed with Skinner earlier in the evening while he was eating dinner and spent some time pitching Texas to him. Murphy is also close to Turner-Gooden with both players coming from southern California. Murphy said he just sent Turner-Gooden a few messages but wanted to let him enjoy the overall visit experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

He’s a cali kid but dad is wearing a Texas Rangers jersey?
If every city in Texas is any indication, lots of people fleeing Cali these days beyond those who's job came to Texas.

But it is odd he has a Rangers Jersey with no Texas ties.

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

He probably picked the jersey up in the airport. 

Who the fuck is buying a Rangers jersey at an airport besides some desperate Dallas honk who has been locked in a Sri Lankan prison for a decade? 

That dude got that jersey in 2010 and has been waiting for a reason to wear it since 2015. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Who the fuck is buying a Rangers jersey at an airport besides some desperate Dallas honk who has been locked in a Sri Lankan prison for a decade? 

That dude got that jersey in 2010 and has been waiting for a reason to wear it since 2015. 

Yeah go bang on a trash can more buddy. Kidding.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting