Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’m told Texas coaches have been reviewing practice film from last year, not just game film, to get an idea of the players who return to the team this season.

Sark is said to be pleasantly surprised with the talent on campus. “Better than expected,” he told an athletic department official

everything about this paragraph just makes me want to tell FUCK YOU TOM HERMAN! 

• Hook 'Em 2

Cooper Petagna steps down from Oregon recruiting position

By. JAYLON THOMPSON Jan 29, 2021

Oregon Ducks recruiting director Cooper Petagna is stepping away from his position with the program. Petagna will pursue other opportunities according to a statement released on his social media account.

Petagna came over from the Washington Huskies in 2020 and took on a role in the recruiting department. He helped the Ducks have the best recruiting class in the Pac-12 during the 2020 cycle and was a crucial figure in bringing along several players.

“I’d like to thank the Oregon football program for giving me the opportunity to work for one of the best fan bases in college football this past season,” Petagna wrote in the statement. “I’m proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish in such a brief time together. With that being said, the timing feels right to pursue some other opportunities elsewhere.”

Oregon currently has the sixth-ranked class in the 2021 recruiting cycle according to 247Sports Composite. There are 21 players that have signed a letter of intent including several four-star recruits for head coach Mario Cristobal.

Petagna brought a lot of coaching experience to the Ducks. Prior to joining the staff, Petagna also worked in several Power 5 conferences. He also spent time at Cincinnati, LSU and Alabama as well.

In a 2017 interview with 247Sports’ Sam Webb, there was a lot of praise for Petagna by J.T. Rogan (Director of Communications and Operations for Jim Harbaugh) of the Michigan Wolverines.

Rogan explained that Petagna had an eye for talent that helped him be successful in his role at several stops.

“And with Cooper Petagna… really highly respected evaluator of talent,” Rogan said. “(He) has drawn NFL interest, has drawn interest form other colleges, so there’s an element of us being fortuitous to have him. His brother is a DFO at Army. And he’s a really promising young mind. And what he won’t tell you is just the amount of time he spends evaluating talent on a weekly basis – 2018s, 2019s, not as much into 2020s because that’s maybe a little bit too far down the road. But walk-ons, every position, and evaluating them, and then also putting in a new structure and implementing that.

“And then managing people to get the tape that he needs to watch to make the evaluation; because it’s not just enough to watch a highlight tape, or to watch a game tape. You need to watch, a variety of the skillsets. And then he knows what he’s looking for.”

The Ducks will now have to look for another leader in the recruiting department. Petagna is a big loss for the program as it continues to build towards another successful season in the Pac-12 during the 2021 campaign.

https://247sports.com/Article/Cooper-Petagna-steps-away-from-Oregon-Ducks-recruiting-position--160136824/

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Bobby this morning:

Hide contents

- Bryan Carrington, after making what could only be described as an “official visit” to USC over the weekend is now expected to take the Trojans up on their offer. I’m told Steve Sarkisian wasn’t exactly beat up about Carrington’s departure given Carrington’s outright overtures to another program just days before signing day.

This is so stupid.  I really hope this isn't indicative of his "authenticity" and saying one thing and doing another.  I would think that a national championship game is more important than national signing day, and not only did Sark have outright overtures before that game, he was actively working for us and splitting time leading up to it.  Being ok with Carrington leaving because you think he was a mole, or you think he is fairly easily replaceable is one thing.  But this just gives me a bad vibe if he's truly begrudging BC for accepting overtures from another school during a period when the current staff he is on had been fired and he was somewhat in limbo.  It's not like BC has been making top assistant coaching money for years either.  He has to consider all opportunities that jump his pay significantly.  Holding people to a standard higher than your own is a quick way to lose the team a la Herman.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 8

1 minute ago, JPETERMAN said:

This is so stupid.  I really hope this isn't indicative of his "authenticity" and saying one thing and doing another.  I would think that a national championship game is more important than national signing day, and not only did Sark have outright overtures before that game, he was actively working for us and splitting time leading up to it.  Being ok with Carrington leaving because you think he was a mole, or you think he is fairly easily replaceable is one thing.  But this just gives me a bad vibe if he's truly begrudging BC for accepting overtures from another school during a period when the current staff he is on had been fired and he was somewhat in limbo.  It's not like BC has been making top assistant coaching money for years either.  He has to consider all opportunities that jump his pay significantly.  Holding people to a standard higher than your own is a quick way to lose the team a la Herman.

2 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Yea but Sark worked that out with Saban?   He put in the time to game plan and they crushed osu.  BC has done well for himself thanks to ironically enough Tom herman.  Not sure what position he’s qualified to coach at usc but good luck to him 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, JPETERMAN said:

Yea but Sark worked that out with Saban?   He put in the time to game plan and they crushed osu.  BC has done well for himself thanks to ironically enough Tom herman.  Not sure what position he’s qualified to coach at usc but good luck to him 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Seems to me that Carrington wasn't exactly keeping Sark in the dark either.  We've been hearing about it for quite a while and that Texas would have the opportunity to match.   So either match, or don't.  But don't get all bent out of shape because he's willing to listen to someone else who makes him a better offer.    Who on NSD2 did we not get that BC would have been a vital player in getting?  I'll hang up and listen.

Seems to me that Carrington wasn't exactly keeping Sark in the dark either.  We've been hearing about it for quite a while and that Texas would have the opportunity to match.   So either match, or don't.  But don't get all bent out of shape because he's willing to listen to someone else who makes him a better offer.    Who on NSD2 did we not get that BC would have been a vital player in getting?  I'll hang up and listen.

"wasn't exactly beat up about it" != "all bent out of shape"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

How do you know Sark got bent out of shape?  Because of some shit Burton wrote.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

I mean carrington is a rock star right?   Maybe he would’ve made a difference maybe he wouldn’t have. But him being recruited by usc on national signing day is a bit crass, taking pics with Horace McCoy.   But you’re getting bad vibes because Steve was doing things for his new gig?   Which he mentioned publically btw.  Said “I’m gonna fulfill my duties to Nick and the kids.  I will use my spare time to build staff”

i thought bc was somewhat unprofessional being so open about it.  We didn’t hear about sark until he was hired.  

Could he have waited for Sarks counter before releasing stuff on Twitter?

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:
Not sure where to put this but not everyone is sad BC is gone

FD0A5C75-5136-4813-B6F6-EBEAB4584BA0.png

isn't this the thing that Danny Young has been highlighted on for his opinions on TH?

Spoiler

side note, hilarious that they forgot to introduce the last guy lol I think it is JP Urquidez

honestly, i didn't see shit that was on that podcast (28 min and change) that tied to what Shark was saying? guessing they have more coming up?

summary of that pod below:

Spoiler

the audio on this is hard to understand at times, even after rewinding a bunch so sorry if this is only close vs exact on audio.

• all 5 players have been through a coaching change
  • McCullough: Charlie to Herman was a tough transition. "we were tired of mediocrity, tired of 5-7"
  • K Johnson: "Herman came in hot" - practice was easy, woke players up at 4a for punishment because he wanted to show who was boss basically. Treated them pretty poorly it sounds like. sounds like they didn't feel respected. "Thank you for instilling that will in me, you couldn't break me then, you can't break me now"
  • Danny Young on Herman to Sark: TH is a good coach, but pulled trigger too early on him - still on rise as head coach, wish he had a couple more years. Hopefully Sark comes in and takes it and runs with it.
  • Burt: "(change) didn't makes sense to me" - 3 losing seasons to 3 bowl wins is progress. It's about expectations, thinks they are too high especially if you take out 05 and 09. "We haven't been Alabama with like 9 straight playoff games." "what expectations are we trying to put on him" - he thinks it was too quick of a move like Danny Young. Didn't think TH peaked. Think's its crazy to give a guy an extension, he gets 2 bowl wins then can him.
  • white guy (no clue who he is? i think it is JP Urquidez based on some later comments?😞 did he win? yes but did he raise the bar? "there is more to it at Texas than just the wins" - not going to name names, but there are guys (starters, NFL guys) complaining about it's raining, how they are talked to, etc (Danny Young is shaking his head this whole time) - championship programs (tOSU and Bama called out by name) are playing for the coach too, a lot more to it than wins and losses. thinks that "they" realized people weren't playing for this guy (TH) anymore.
  • Burt: Strong and Herman never really had a tema that was all there - as in all their dudes only. Never got to see "his" team. (again DY shakes his head here)
  • Shark: I think he said that with Strong you knew what it was going to be day in and day out and he was going to be fair.
  • Burt: They all liked Yancy McKnight. He was 100% genuine and a G.
  • Burt: We felt we were going to be the guys who got Texas back and wanted to be those guys.
  • Burt: That Kansas loss was tough, because "everybody knew" after that game that that was it. "at that point it was hard" - Herman came in "real hot."
  • white guy: "we all had a connection to strong" - herman just "came in hot"
  • Danny Young: "there was a lot going on this year", weird season that impacted the mental piece, people have to remember this is a game. "everything happened for a reason" - Jeff M said something about the team connection around here and how it was less than in prior years due to no offseason, COVID, etc
  • Host: Do you feel like the other elements (to the season) were not weighed when firing Herman? Danny Young - "definitely"
  • JP: "if the guy who is coaching you, you really care about, it (the offseason stuff) doesn't seem to effect you." again talks about tOSU who came in strong even with their season initially cancelled, played well. Bama won 12. at the end of the day when that person at top thats teaching you, you cherishes you, etc - however when you are playinf ro a certain thing you win. it was missing. lose to TCU, on the hot seat in second game of year...host: so (the team) should have put it to the side and played for him? JP: "if it was that person who had respected you (?)
  • Multiple dudes (JP, Jeff M) said that Urban stuff started kicking up after the TCU loss
  • Kirk Johnson cared about having fun on the field
  • Danny Young: factor in the aspect of things is that "we feel it when coaches are stressed" - especially with all Texas is. (after OU game last year brought up) - you can feel the intenseness beyond just coaching style. DY: don't get me wrong pressure from up top ... trickles down. nobody can function properly under such intense (pressure)
  • Burt: spoke again positive w/r/t McKnight, and said he called out coaching staff for lack of consistency on how the coached us or  (JP: "literally" with a number of head nods from the other dudes). that is what kind of led up to a bunch of coaches getting fired last year

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Look, I think not being heartbroken that Carrington is leaving after taking pictures with Bru McCoy's dad clowning on UT while still an employee is pretty normal.

right? he had every opportunity to take a silent visit there and do his due diligence but he didn't do that a all, so fuck that guy for doing it that close to NSD

• Hook 'Em 4

Mike Roach: Chris Gilbert fits Sarkisian's mantra of authentic relationships

When Steve Sarkisian was hired, he said in his introductory press conference that a big component of his program was building “authentic relationships.” He backed that talk up with the hiring of Chris Gilbert as Director of High School Relations. It doesn’t get more authentic than Chris Gilbert. An Oak Cliff native, Gilbert grew up wanting to be a coach. While he knew that knowledge of the game was going to be an important component of the job, relationship building would be equally important.

In an interview Gilbert did with Horns247 on The State of Recruiting podcast last summer, Gilbert talked about his role working with the Texas High School Coaches Association and the Texas Alliance of Black School Educators. Gilbert said he saw leadership as “elements of service” rather than “elements of stature.” Gilbert went on to say, “Relationships are by far what matters the most. It’s not even close. If the relationships are there, the trust will be there.”

While Gilbert won’t directly be involved with recruiting high school players, his relationships within the high school world will open doors for Texas in areas of the state where they’ve struggled. An ardent fan of Sun Tzu and The Art of War, Gilbert said he was fascinated with leadership, transformation and culture. Gilbert will also help oversee the preferred walk-on program as Shipley did before him. This has been a vital part of the program as the Longhorns have been able to find contributors to from that program since Tom Herman revamped it.

The most important job Gilbert will face is re-building the reputation of Texas with the high school coaches. Bob Shipley was well-liked and did a fantastic job in his role, and Gilbert will have to take the torch and run with it. Mack Brown was universally beloved in the state, but Charlie Strong and Tom Herman both had their struggles with high school coaches. For Strong, it seemed he didn’t get a fair shake from the beginning while Herman seemed to alienate himself further into his career with arrogance and a general lack of self-awareness.

If you’ve ever been around Gilbert, you know he loves to talk. His thoughts on relationship aren’t superficial, they are who he is. When you visit Lancaster, he treats you like family and makes you feel included. Those types of interpersonal skills are often lost in today’s age of smartphones and social media. Gilbert is a guy who mixes an old school attitude with a cutting edge thirst for education. His primary job will be to keep Texas in good standing with the high school coaches, and that sounds perfectly suited for a man who loves nothing more than catching up with friends and talking about football over a big plate of barbecue.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:
  • Burt: "(change) didn't makes sense to me" - 3 losing seasons to 3 bowl wins is progress. It's about expectations, thinks they are too high especially if you take out 05 and 09. "We haven't been Alabama with like 9 straight playoff games." "what expectations are we trying to put on him" - he thinks it was too quick of a move like Danny Young. Didn't think TH peaked. Think's its crazy to give a guy an extension, he gets 2 bowl wins then can him.

This shit right here is baffling.  No wonder we fucking lose so much.  These guys have no idea what expectations are at Texas.  My God, we are 6-1 all time versus the Billy Bob's...and that 1 loss should have been a curbstomp victory.

• Hook 'Em 4

Mike Roach: Texas offer 'a dream come true' for Westlake OL Connor Robertson

Connor Robertson has been trending up in recruiting. The Austin Westlake offensive lineman grew up in the shadow of the campus and Texas runs in his family. Robertson said the offer was one he was waiting for his entire life. “It’s a dream come true,” Robertson said. “My father went to UT and I’ve always wanted the opportunity to play there.” Robertson has been getting to know Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood and he’s excited to see how his coaching style translates at Texas. “I really like coach Flood,” he said. “He’s got a great reputation and I’m really excited for what he’s going to bring to Texas.”

When Robertson spoke with Horns247, the offer was weighing heavily. When asked about the rest of his recruitment, it was clear that Robertson was still digesting the Texas offer. “At this point, I’m just so thrilled to receive an offer from UT,” he said. Texas is also targeting Robertson’s teammate Cade Klubnik. The two haven’t discussed playing together, but Robertson wouldn’t be against it. “We haven’t talked about it much,” he said. “That would be totally awesome.”

Robertson wants to make a decision this spring. To win him over, a school will need to check all the boxes. “I would like to make a decision probably sometime within the next couple of months most likely,” he said. “What matters most to me are the academics, a great program, and one where I have an unbelievable relationship with the coaching staff. Those are likely the three most important things to me.” At 6-foot-4, 296 pounds, Robertson is ranked as the No. 26 offensive guard in the country and No. 92 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

He was our recruiting coordinator and he didn't tweet the month before signing day. He's been MIA for weeks. Goodbye and good luck, Carrington. But ya can't stay around here if you're not gonna do your job.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I mean carrington is a rock star right?   Maybe he would’ve made a difference maybe he wouldn’t have. But him being recruited by usc on national signing day is a bit crass, taking pics with Horace McCoy.   But you’re getting bad vibes because Steve was doing things for his new gig?   Which he mentioned publically btw.  Said “I’m gonna fulfill my duties to Nick and the kids.  I will use my spare time to build staff”

The picture was certainly in poor taste.  But it seems pretty clear to me (And no I don't know 100% for sure because I have zero sources) that Carrington knew he was gone by the time he took those pictures.  Sark knew BC was gone too, but it didn't leak until after NSD2 just in case any recruits would have been turned off by it.   Every year guys leave the day or 2 days after signing day.  You don't think they've been talking for weeks beforehand, doing interviews etc.  This is no different.  If anything, it's more excusable for Carrington because the staff was just blown up and in transition.  I'm sure he started putting out feelers the hour after Herman was fired, as well he should have.

I'm not getting bad vibes from Sark splitting duties.  I was getting bad vibes from him seemingly not wanting BC to potentially explore an opportunity that was presented to him when it is probably standard practice in the industry (timing-wise).  I mean hell, we've been talking about Petagna for as long as the USC/Carrington rumors have been going on so we don't exactly have a moral superiority here.  But again, I'm apparently reading too much into it, so let's drop it.

• Fuck You 4

That conversation pretty much epitomizes why this program has been in a dumpster fire.

And Carrington and Sark cannot be compared in regards to how they left. It would be like Sark walking out two days before the NCG. Instead he had one of the best offensive game plans we have seen in the playoffs. He might have taken a job before it but it didn't affect his performance. Carrington didn't even try to perform. He left during the most critical time of his job.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

The picture was certainly in poor taste.  But it seems pretty clear to me (And no I don't know 100% for sure because I have zero sources) that Carrington knew he was gone by the time he took those pictures.  Sark knew BC was gone too, but it didn't leak until after NSD2 just in case any recruits would have been turned off by it.   Every year guys leave the day or 2 days after signing day.  You don't think they've been talking for weeks beforehand, doing interviews etc.  This is no different.  If anything, it's more excusable for Carrington because the staff was just blown up and in transition.  I'm sure he started putting out feelers the hour after Herman was fired, as well he should have.

I'm not getting bad vibes from Sark splitting duties.  I was getting bad vibes from him seemingly not wanting BC to potentially explore an opportunity that was presented to him when it is probably standard practice in the industry (timing-wise).  I mean hell, we've been talking about Petagna for as long as the USC/Carrington rumors have been going on so we don't exactly have a moral superiority here.  But again, I'm apparently reading too much into it, so let's drop it.

I’m sure carrington thought his time was probably up but sark did have a final sit down with him?   But as stated above BC hasn’t tweeted (about Texas recruiting in any way) for about a month.  I assume he was still on the pay roll.  Looking out for yourself and your family is priority 1.  How you do it is also Important.   Sark actually could’ve told Nick “hey thanks for everything but I have like one month to hire and salvage this recruiting class at Texas.  I’m out”.  But he stayed because he was grateful,loyal and a professional.  

BC may have known he was gone but he didn’t seem to mind staying on the payroll?   If he quit the moment Tom was fired then I do stand corrected and certainly don’t blame BC at all   

petagna announced his departure publically last week in a released statement on Twitter.  Different than how BC did it. 

Edited by closetohumping

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I really don't give a fuck about Carrington leaving, at all. This obsession our fanbase has with certain coaches because they stand out on a staff of mediocrity is unhealthy.

i think he was pretty obviously good at his job, but he is far from irreplaceable.

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

You’re a moron and that is evidenced not just by any of the multitude of stupid shit you’ve been saying in your posts, but also the simple fact that you’re choosing this stupid fucking hill to die on. Next you should Ed Orgeron rip your shirt off and offer to fight anyone who doesn’t think True Detective Season 1 is the weakest of the 3 seasons. To stay in that vein, you’re currently the Michael Jordan of having your head up your ass. 

• Haha 5

55 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5567122

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I really don't give a fuck about Carrington leaving, at all. This obsession our fanbase has with certain coaches because they stand out on a staff of mediocrity is unhealthy.

He was also a really good self promoter who decided to take 2020 off for whatever reason. His skill set is the most replaceable of anyone on Herman’s staff. But yes how are we supposed to be heartbroken about losing a coach that has been checked out so long? THIS IS SO STUPID AND AN INDICTMENT ON SARK OMG!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

This shit right here is baffling.  No wonder we fucking lose so much.  These guys have no idea what expectations are at Texas.  My God, we are 6-1 all time versus the Billy Bob's...and that 1 loss should have been a curbstomp victory.

Yeah, my thought as well. 

It's about expectations, thinks they are too high especially if you take out 05 and 09. "We haven't been Alabama with like 9 straight playoff games." "what expectations are we trying to put on him"

05 and 09, huh? How about 04 and 08? Shit how about 01, 02, 03, 06, 07...because those were all better than any of the bullshit that Strong or Herman rolled out. 

There is a lot of space between Herman's 8-5 and Saban's annual playoff berth. A fucking lot. 

Players basically saying "how could they expect us to be better than mediocre"? Christ man. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JPETERMAN said:

BC was still a staff member and getting paid here. He definitely wasn't showing outward signs that he was actively recruiting for us still (social media) and it became big news that he flew to USC before NSD2. And we have no idea what Sarkisian thought or said to BC on the matter. 

Sarkisian passed his test after the "overtures," winning the NC at Bama. Did Carrington pass his? Could Carrington have waited until Thursday or this weekend to fly to LA? 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

BC was still a staff member and getting paid here. He definitely wasn't showing outward signs that he was actively recruiting for us still (social media) and it became big news that he flew to USC before NSD2. And we have no idea what Sarkisian thought or said to BC on the matter. 

Sarkisian passed his test after the "overtures," winning the NC at Bama. Did Carrington pass his? Could Carrington have waited until Thursday or this weekend to fly to LA? 

And if we're to believe the 9.95ers, and since Peterman is basing his opinion off of a 9.95 post, why not, Sark wanted a chance to at least discuss BC's future with us.  Sark hadn't fired him yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, my thought as well. 

It's about expectations, thinks they are too high especially if you take out 05 and 09. "We haven't been Alabama with like 9 straight playoff games." "what expectations are we trying to put on him"

05 and 09, huh? How about 04 and 08? Shit how about 01, 02, 03, 06, 07...because those were all better than any of the bullshit that Strong or Herman rolled out. 

There is a lot of space between Herman's 8-5 and Saban's annual playoff berth. A fucking lot. 

Players basically saying "how could they expect us to be better than mediocre"? Christ man. 

Winning is hard....

Edited by irishtexan

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Winning is hard....

Mensa told us "Winning is Hard" all the time -- no wonder the players believed it

Burt: "(change) didn't makes sense to me" - 3 losing seasons to 3 bowl wins is progress. It's about expectations, thinks they are too high especially if you take out 05 and 09. "We haven't been Alabama with like 9 straight playoff games." "what expectations are we trying to put on him"

And yes folks, I expect TEXAS to be competing for Championships in the CFP in the next 4 years... 🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The only reason we know Carrington's name is because of the ineptitude surrounding him.  He is very good at his job and stepped in admirably when Herman's staff failed, but a properly run organization does not need someone to play the role Carrington did over the past few years.

What? You still want a pipe-hitting recruiting director. You just also want everyone around him to pull their own weight as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JPETERMAN said:

I was getting bad vibes from him seemingly not wanting BC to potentially explore an opportunity that was presented to him when it is probably standard practice in the industry (timing-wise).

This is amongst the stupidest things you wrote on the subject. Where in the fuck did anybody, anywhere, say that Sark didn't want BC to explore other opportunities? Bobby said "Sark isn't sad to see a guy from the previous staff, who was at least derelict in his duties - if not outright engaging in conduct detrimental to the team - in the week leading up to the biggest day of the year for somebody in his position, decide to leave the team."

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting