Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You’re a moron and that is evidenced not just by any of the multitude of stupid shit you’ve been saying in your posts, but also the simple fact that you’re choosing this stupid fucking hill to die on. Next you should Ed Orgeron rip your shirt off and offer to fight anyone who doesn’t think True Detective Season 1 is the weakest of the 3 seasons. To stay in that vein, you’re currently the Michael Jordan of having your head up your ass. 

killing it true detective GIF

Season 2 needs to crawl back into the brain of whoever created it and keep any other ideas from being born.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

This shit right here is baffling.  No wonder we fucking lose so much.  These guys have no idea what expectations are at Texas.  My God, we are 7-1-1 all time versus the Billy Bob's...and that 1 loss should have been a curbstomp victory.

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

Look, I like BC.  But you guys are stressing waaaaay to much.  We just landed a borderline 5 star RB in Blue and are leading for 5 star Stewart.  Our recruiting is looking better and better with Sark and his team in place.  He’s replaceable.  There are tons of dudes that can connect to recruits.  Brandon Harris is a great example and probably had a bigger impact with recruits last year than Carrington.  Banks is probably the best recruiter in the country and will be the lead guy for most of the big names.  BC’s role here was going to get diminished now that we have coaches that are willing recruiters and excel at it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

isn't this the thing that Danny Young has been highlighted on for his opinions on TH?

side note, hilarious that they forgot to introduce the last guy lol I think it is JP Urquidez

honestly, i didn't see shit that was on that podcast (28 min and change) that tied to what Shark was saying? guessing they have more coming up?

summary of that pod below:

I haven't tuned in, but I don't think the white dude would be JP. He was at Texas State this fall, so he wouldn't have much direct knowledge of what played out here at the same time. (unless he quit at Texas State after the season started)

(edit: I have been told he opted out before he stepped foot on the Texas State campus, so I stand corrected. I guess he was just hanging around our program this fall.)

Edited by Tex Pete

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I haven't tuned in, but I don't think the white dude would be JP. He was at Texas State this fall, so he wouldn't have much direct knowledge of what played out here at the same time. (unless he quit at Texas State after the season started)

He introduces himself around 50 seconds in. It's JP.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Winning is hard....

Tom didn’t deliver this even remotely correctly. I think in his mind, the entire thing is more like winning is hard so you have to work hard to make it happen. 
the better message would be something like the harder you work and prepare, the easier winning becomes. 

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Are we just going to ignore this awful take...? I can only assume you meant season 2

I like you man, but I think you need to re-read my post for the syntax and the message I'm trying to convey. Because it's almost like saying someone who claimed season 2 the best season of True Detective could be declared a stupid fucking idiot, someone who is say the Michael Jordan of having their head up their ass. Or someone who thinks Sark is being two-faced. Or, in the parlance of memes:

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, elguapo said:

I really don't give a fuck about Carrington leaving, at all. This obsession our fanbase has with certain coaches because they stand out on a staff of mediocrity is unhealthy.

Yup. It’s like liking the shiniest turd in a pasture littered with shit. It’s tucking dumb. Fuck Carrington honestly. We got coaches who recruit better than him and coach better than him. We don’t need Carrington like some of you dipshits think. Hoe ass snitch

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like you man, but I think you need to re-read my post for the syntax and the message I'm trying to convey. Because it's almost like saying someone who claimed season 2 the best season of True Detective could be declared a stupid fucking idiot, someone who is say the Michael Jordan of having their head up their ass. Or someone who thinks Sark is being two-faced. Or, in the parlance of memes:

tenor.gif

I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by Lil Jon
me currently...what I get for just scanning the post

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup. It’s like liking the shiniest turd in a pasture littered with shit. It’s tucking dumb. Fuck Carrington honestly. We got coaches who recruit better than him and coach better than him. We don’t need Carrington like some of you dipshits think. Hoe ass snitch

I wasn't opposed to him staying, but Idc that he's gone.  It's the Sark putting off bad vibes comment that I wasn't a fan of.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Shit's not black or white, this wildly swinging emotionality is embarrassing. Dude did a fine job for a couple years, slacked off in year three, and now he's off to a job with more career advancement prospects than we felt he merited.

"hurr durr fuck that guy hoe ass snitch" is some Bucknuts level commenting.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Shit's not black or white, this wildly swinging emotionality is embarrassing. Dude did a fine job for a couple years, slacked off in year three, and now he's off to a job with more career advancement prospects than we felt he merited.

"hurr durr fuck that guy hoe ass snitch" is some Bucknuts level commenting.

Who gives a shit. No need to let your pussy drip over some off field dipshit. Unless off field dipshit is Casey Horny. 

• Fuck You 5

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

When Herman showed up, he blathered on about "alignment." Carrington versus Sarkisian and CDC is a major position where alignment has to come into play. I don't think Carrington would have been happy staying and I think our team would suffer because of it. All parties are better off with him leaving, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Recruiting board is all filler no substance rn 

Just like a certain second season of a certain television show.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Thanks for your contribution.

I am wondering exactly how hard we're going after Klubnik right now. Anybody?

More importantly, how many different misspellings of his name can we get to? Klubanek, Klobanik, and Klubnek seem to be the most common ones so far.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Just like a certain second season of a certain television show.

More importantly, how many different misspellings of his name can we get to? Klubanek, Klobanik, and Klubnek seem to be the most common ones so far.

Honestly surprised I've been getting it correct. 

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I just moved in the last month or so, and my next door neighbor has a kid on varsity at Westlake. I'll keep my ear to the fence on Klubnik. 

My back neighbor is all involved in the Chap club and is hearing that the staff has offered but not pushing for him to commit yet. Have others higher on the board.

• Like 1

I don't really care one way or another about Carrington, but I would just like to point out on brand it is for a guy who's signature move is the shhhh being called out for being a snitch.

Also, I'm wondering how chin pubes is taking all of this. He seemed to have a more-than-2-hour-seek-medical-attention-style erection for him.

• Haha 4

In a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track I'm posting some OB content

Ketch's Top 100 rankings with some details at the bottom

Spoiler

-

PRO

Austin, TX
Westlake

6'2"

-

CB

Houston, TX
North Shore

6'1"

-

DT

Denton, TX
Ryan

6'4"

Georgia
2/3/21
VERBAL

-

PRO

Southlake, TX
Carroll

6'3"

Ohio State
11/19/20
VERBAL

-

RB

Houston, TX
Klein Cain

5'11"

Texas
2/2/21
VERBAL

-

OT

Humble, TX
Atascocita

6'4"

-

SDE

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'4"

-

WDE

Katy, TX
Katy

6'6"

Texas A&M
1/17/21
VERBAL

-

DUAL

Cypress, TX
Bridgeland

6'2"

Texas A&M
2/4/21
VERBAL

-

OT

Arlington, TX
Bowie

6'4"

-

OT

Houston, TX
Summer Creek

6'5"

-

WR

Frisco, TX
Liberty

6'1"

-

WR

Del Valle, TX
Del Valle

6'0"

Ohio State
11/23/20
VERBAL

-

OLB

Cypress, TX
Cypress Park

6'3"

-

S

Beaumont, TX
Westbrook

6'0"

-

CB

Port Arthur, TX
Port Arthur Memorial

6'0"

Texas
9/19/20
VERBAL

-

WR

Lewisville, TX
Lewisville

6'2"

Texas
1/12/21
VERBAL

-

RB

Tyler, TX
Legacy (Tyler)

5'10"

-

ATH

Spearman, TX
Spearman

5'11"

-

TE

Dickinson, TX
Dickinson

6'4"

Texas A&M
1/21/21
VERBAL

-

WR

Garland, TX
Garland

6'1"

Oklahoma
7/21/20
VERBAL

-

ILB

Lubbock, TX
Cooper

6'3"

Oklahoma
1/15/20
VERBAL

-

RB

El Paso, TX
Burges

5'11"

-

DT

Bremond, TX
Bremond

6'5"

-

OG

Allen, TX
Allen

6'5"

-

DUAL

Sachse, TX
Sachse

6'3"

-

SDE

Arlington, TX
Martin

6'5"

-

S

Aledo, TX
Aledo

6'1"

-

S

Plano, TX
Pope John Paul II

6'0"

-

CB

Katy, TX
Katy

6'1"

-

WDE

Fort Worth, TX
Nolan Catholic

6'4"

-

OT

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'5"

-

WR

Gladewater, TX
Gladewater

6'0"

-

OT

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'6"

-

PRO

Rockwall, TX
Rockwall-Heath

6'2"

-

S

Garland, TX
Garland

6'1"

-

OT

Dickinson, TX
Dickinson

6'5"

Texas A&M
1/21/21
VERBAL

-

CB

Denton, TX
Ryan

6'0"

-

WR

Lancaster, TX
Lancaster

6'4"

-

ILB

Arlington, TX
Martin

6'1"

-

ATH

Lexington, TX
Lexington

6'1"

-

S

Argyle, TX
Liberty Christian

6'1"

-

OLB

Houston, TX
The Woodlands

6'2"

-

RB

Fort Worth, TX
Nolan Catholic

6'1"

-

WDE

McKinney, TX
McKinney North

6'4"

-

TE

Aledo, TX
Aledo

6'5"

-

ATH

Pilot Point, TX
Pilot Point Selz

6'4"

-

OLB

Carthage, TX
Carthage

6'3"

-

SDE

Flower Mound, TX
Coram Deo Academy

6'2"

-

PRO

Frisco, TX
Frisco Lone Star

6'2"

-

OG

Frisco, TX
Frisco

6'6"

-

CB

Houston, TX
Clear Lake

6'0"

-

ILB

Manvel, TX
Manvel

6'1"

-

PRO

Rockwall, TX
Rockwall

6'0"

-

S

Arlington, TX
Timberview

6'0"

-

OLB

Texarkana, TX
Texas

6'5"

-

DT

Houston, TX
North Shore

6'4"

-

OT

Austin, TX
Westlake

6'4"

-

ILB

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'0"

-

PRO

Flower Mound, TX
Flower Mound

6'3"

-

TE

Mesquite, TX
Universal Academy

6'5"

-

RB

Dallas, TX
Skyline

5'8"

-

OT

Lubbock, TX
Estacado

6'4"

-

RB

Newton, TX
Newton

5'11"

-

APB

Denison, TX
Denison

5'11"

-

ATH

Lancaster, TX
Lancaster

6'0"

-

DT

Mount Pleasant, TX
Mount Pleasant

6'3"

-

WR

Missouri City, TX
Fort Bend Marshall

6'4"

-

WR

Dallas, TX
Skyline

6'4"

-

OG

Corpus Christi, TX
Flour Bluff

6'2"

-

WR

Gilmer, TX
Gilmer

6'3"

-

C

Orange, TX
West Orange-Stark

6'3"

-

TE

Southlake, TX
Carroll

6'4"

-

TE

Pearland, TX
Shadow Creek

6'3"

-

RB

Rockwall, TX
Rockwall-Heath

5'10"

-

WR

Tenaha, TX
Tenaha

6'2"

-

WR

Klein, TX
Klein Cain

6'1"

-

SG

Coppell, TX
Coppell

6'6"

-

WR

Lancaster, TX
Lancaster

6'1"

-

ATH

Killeen, TX
Shoemaker

6'1"

-

WDE

Plano, TX
John Paul II

6'5"

-

WR

North Richland Hills, TX
Richland

6'0"

TCU
1/24/21
VERBAL

-

WR

Houston, TX
North Shore

6'1"

Cincinnati
11/2/20
VERBAL

-

CB

Cedar Hill, TX
Cedar Hill

6'0"

-

OT

Haslet, TX
V. R. Eaton High School

6'7"

-

OT

Argyle, TX
Argyle

6'4"

-

WR

Katy, TX
Katy

6'4"

-

RB

Tyler, TX
Tyler Lee

5'11"

-

S

Houston, TX
Shadow Creek

6'0"

-

CB

Brenham, TX
Brenham

5'11"

-

WR

Humble, TX
Atascocita

6'1"

-

S

Pearland, TX
Pearland

6'2"

Colorado
2/4/21
VERBAL

-

TE

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'4"

-

OT

Crowley, TX
Crowley

6'5"

-

OLB

Del Valle, TX
Del Valle

6'1"

-

RB

Euless, TX
Trinity

6'2"

Oklahoma State
2/2/21
VERBAL

-

WR

Grand Prairie, TX
Grand Prairie

6'0"

SMU
9/1/20
VERBAL

-

WR

Dallas, TX
Kimball

6'5"

-

DT

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'5"

-

ILB

Spring, TX
Spring High School

6'0"

A few thoughts....

* I'm just going to cut to the chase. A lot of the same principles from yesterday's rankings update to today's are exactly the same.

* The 2022 list is the least impacted by camps, combined and other non-11-on-11 evaluations than any ist of rankings we've seen in the last decade. There's a lot of clutter beyond the top 14 at certain positions and I'd love to have all the normal evaluation methods that we normally have.

* 1-6 are five-star prospects in my rankings and won't argue too hard with any of you if you believe the order of those top 6.

*7-14 represented high four-star value for me,

Those are for me the definitive game-changers in the state this year. That list will evolve in the next 9-12 months, but I feel real good about those 14.

On Quinn Ewers - I don't know that I'm going to be any less ridiculed in this update than I was in the last update. Let me get the positives out of the way. He's an incredible thrower of the football. The ease with which he throws the football around the field is so superior to his peers that it's an apples and oranges conversation in most cases. I feel like that's an incredible compliment and I'm not sure I've ever said that about a quarterback prospect from Texas.

I do not believe he's the best player/prospect in the country. That's not me trying to have a "look-at-me" moment, it's just me being honest and breaking away from the pack somewhat because it's how I feel. I think one of my biggest compliments of Ewers leads into a question about his game that feels significant. His release and delivery of the ball is so freaking calm that it's actually kind of beautiful in its art-form. At this level, Ewers often is never rushed into quickening his mechanics at all. It's all so calm and so smooth all the time. One of the questions I have about his game is how it will translate to the next level when he is forced to play in a busy pocket and how his play will react to increased urgency around him. In the state title game against Westlake, he found himself in a busier pocket than any other point I saw this season and he blinked a few times in ways that screamed that he was more uncomfortable than normal.. He's a monster player. I think there's a chance he plays football into his 30s. I just think he's closer to being J.T. Daniels at the next level than there is that he's Vince Young, Cam Newton or even Matthew Stafford.

On Klubnick - I'm all-in on this kid. The questions that I have about Ewers with regards to how his game will translate when everything around him forces everything from his decision-making, mechanics and overall urgency to increase. I don't worry about at with Klubnick. This kid has ice in his veins, makes all of the throws, is a better athlete than Ewers and... no matter how much anyone wants to pretend like it might not have mattered... he was clearly the best player on the field when they played against each other in the state title game. There is no player in the 2022 class that I'd rather have right now than him.

I mentioned this in another thread last night, but let me give you an example of what I'm talking about with Klubnick.

Look at this play from this past season. He's hanging in the pocket and he's got pressure coming right into his face. It is not clear at this point what the hell is about to happen.

View attachment 536

In a fraction of a second, the pressure not only reaches him, but he's being lifted off the ground, but Klubnik doesn't flinch a damn lick. I don't know how the hell he gets the ball out, but he does.

View attachment 537

Game. Blouses.

View attachment 538

On Denver Harris: Must-have defensive back prospect. That guy should play on Sundays one day.

On Bear Alexander: Do yourself a favor. Just watch thus.

On Jaydon Blue: I believe he's going to be rated as a five-star by Rivals before this year is out. He had a national top 60 ranking BEFORE his junior season and I'm telling you right now, he found a different gear in 2020.

On Kam Dewberry - Feels very Kenyon Green-ish to me and that's a good thing.

On Weigman - He's the most under-valued prospect in the state. He's f;ing legit.

On Devon Campbell - I thought he was a 5-star coming into the 2020 season... I've backed off that opinion slightly. Same with Kelvin Banks.

On Evan Stewart: The kid can fly. Of all the various receivers in the state and the traits they possess, Stewart's ability to change a game with his speed really stands on.

ON Caleb Burton: Coming off a major injury, I'll need to see him this season before I can put him in the top 2 tiers, especially when you consider the historical bust-rate of players with his profile inside the state of Texas.

On Harold Perkins: part of me thinks he's going to finish as a Top 10 prospect. The other part of me realizes that players at his position with his physical profile that have hit in the last 20 years can be counted on a couple of fingers. My heart tells me he's a bad dude... my head tells me that he has a high bust probability.

* On 25-50: Just throw those names up in the air and rank them in any order. It really doesn't matter. All are very good prospects that could creep into that Top 15 level by the end of the year.

On DJ Allen: Keep an eye on this kid. I have him at No.33.... he might just explode this spring.

War Room. Actually has some decent information about scholarship numbers

Spoiler

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian is taking a methodical approach to putting together his 2021 roster.

During his signing day press conference on Wednesday, Sarkisian explained why the Longhorns still have scholarships available as opposed to obtaining more high school players to complete his roster.

“Clearly, what happened for us here is we didn't want to reach too far and just fill up all of our numbers,” Sarkisian said. “We've really got four spots still available for us. In the nature of college football right now with the transfer portal and the things going on and the potential one-time transfer rule coming down the road, we wanted to make sure we left ourselves enough wiggle room and versatility to get through spring ball and maybe address some a few more needs that may come down the road. Ideally, you come in at the front end and you sign all the 25 of your guys and away you go. This was obviously a unique situation with the signing period where 19 kids were already signed, which we feel very good about. We think they're going to be good additions to the program. Now what do you do with those last few spots, knowing the majority of the players are off the board and they're already signed and going to other schools? Aall in all, I thought we did a really good job on the 21 class, leaving us some wiggle room and filling some needs.”

As a result of Sarkisian’s statement, we decided it was time to dive into the scholarship board and see who is actually available after some players turned pro, others hit the transfer portal, and sorting through the seniors returning for another season.

Here are a few things you need to know about the 2021 college football roster:

--- The NCAA is not counting seniors who returned for another year at the same school against the program’s scholarship number. For instance, Texas senior tight end Cade Brewer does not count. However, senior defensive back Darion Dunn, who transferred from McNeese counts against the 85-scholarship limit.

--- Every team needs to have 85 scholarship players when practice begins in August. The 25 number is a hard cap in each recruiting year for every team.

--- Just to reiterate, Texas can have more than 85 scholarship players this season. However, that number cannot include players who would not have been eligible under normal circumstances.

Here are a few things you need to know about the Texas roster:

--- I was told Texas defensive end Peter Mpagi is expected to medically retire due to his heart condition.

--- Longhorn running back Derrian Brown is on a medical scholarship and no longer counts against the scholarship number. That means Brown has officially given up on playing college football due to his medical condition. However, Texas is still playing for his education.

--- Notre Dame transfer Ovie Oghoufo is not listed in the numbers at this point. Although he is committed to the Longhorns, he won't officially join the program until the summer and hasn't officially been announced by the school.

--- Junior Cort Jaquez was on scholarship last year, but when we checked with school officials on Thursday, we were informed that his scholarship has not yet been renewed.

--- There are seven potential seniors using their extra year: Cade Brewer, Tope Imade, Jacoby Jones, Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor, Brenden Schooler and Gabriel Watson.

--- One thing to keep in mind with regards to the scholarship accounting. The Longhorns signed only 20 prospects in the 2020 recruiting class and added two graduate transfers to the recruiting numbers (Tariq Black and Brenden Schooler), which means the Longhorns could (in theory) have room for up to three more players in the 2021 class if they slide some of the early enrollee numbers from the group that just arrived in January into the 2020 numbers for accounting purposes. We'll double-check on Friday on how the program treated the 2020 year from a scholarship bookkeeping standpoint and update you when we have an answer.

* Numbers in parenthesis are the total at each position counted towards the 85-man scholarship number.

Quarterbacks (3)

Casey Thompson, So.
Hudson Card, Fr.
Charles Wright, QB, incoming freshman

Running Backs (4)

Gabriel Watson, Super Senior
Daniel Young, Senior
Roschon Johnson, So.
Bijan Robinson, Fr.
Jonathon Brooks, RB, incoming freshman

Wide Receivers (13)

Brenden Schooler, Super Senior
Joshua Moore, R-So.
Kai Money, So.
Jake Smith, So.
Marcus Washington, So.
Al’Vonte Woodard, So.
Kennedy Lewis, R-Fr.
Jordan Whittington, R-Fr.
Kelvontay Dixon, Fr.
Dajon Harrison, Fr.
Troy Omeire, Fr.
Jaden Alexis, WR, incoming freshman
Casey Cain, WR, incoming freshman
Keithron Lee, WR, incoming freshman

Tight Ends (5)

Cade Brewer, Super Senior
Malcolm Epps, So.
Jared Wiley, So.
Brayeden Liebrock, R-Fr.
Juan Davis, TE, incoming freshman
Gunnar Helm, TE, incoming freshman

Offensive Line (11)

Top Imade, Super Senior
Derek Kerstetter, Super Senior
Denzel Okafor, Super Senior
Junior Angilau, So.
Rafiti Ghirmai, So.
Christian Jones, So.
Isaiah Hookfin, R-Fr.
Tyler Johnson, R-Fr.
Jaylen Garth, Fr.
Andrej Karic, Fr.
Jake Majors, Fr.
Logan Parr, Fr.
Hayden Conner, OL, incoming freshman
Max Merril, OL, incoming freshman

Defensive Linemen (13)

Jacoby Jones, Super Senior
Marqez Bimage, Senior
Keondre Coburn, So.
Moro Ojomo, So.
T’Vondre Sweat, So.
Myron Warren, R-Fr.
Vernon Broughton, Fr.
Alfred Collins, Fr.
Sawyer Goram-Welch, Fr.
David Abiara, incoming freshman
Byron Murphy, incoming freshman
Ja’tavion Sanders, incoming freshman
Barryn Sorrell, Incoming freshman.
Jordon Thomas, incoming freshman

Linebackers (13)

Ray Thornton, LB, graduate senior
Juwan Mitchell, Jr.
DeMarvion Overshown, Jr.
Luke Brockermeyer, So.
Jett Bush, So.
David Gbenda, R-Fr.
Prince Dorbah, Fr.
Marcus Tillman, R-Fr.
Jaylan Ford, Fr.
Jaden Hullaby, Fr.
Morice Blackwell Jr., LB, incoming freshman
Terrence Cooks II, LB, incoming freshman
Derrick Harris Jr., LB, incoming freshman

Defensive Backs (15)

Darion Dunn, DB, Sr.
Josh Thompson, R-Jr.
Anthony Cook, Jr.
Montrell Estell, Jr.
B.J. Foster, Jr.
D’Shawn Jaminson, Jr.
Chris Adimora, So.
Tyler Owens, So.
Marques Caldwell, R-Fr.
Jahdae Barron, Fr.
Kitan Crawford, Fr.
Jerrin Thompson, Fr.
JD Coffey III, DB, incoming freshman
Ishmael Ibraheem, DB, incoming freshman
Jamier Johnson, DB, incoming freshman

Special Teams (4)

Cameron Dicker, K, Jr.
Ryan Bujcevski, P, Jr.
Justin Mader, Jr., LS
Isaac Pearson, P, incoming freshman

Total: 81

(From Suchomel)

I feel sorry for Cade Klubnik.

When I spoke to him a few weeks ago, it was just prior to Texas having re-offered him. So he got the “pleasure” of dealing with me this week for a follow-up. Now, two days after he and I talked again, Texas A&M picked up a commitment from Connor Weigman, meaning Klubnik will probably have to deal with me pestering him again pretty soon.

Early in the week, Klubnik gave me the rundown of his re-offer from the Longhorns.

“I was talking to coach Sark and we had a good conversation. We were talking about the things he liked about me,” Klubnik said. “I had been talking to coach (AJ) Milwee for about a week. I had talked to coach Sark the day before the national championship game and said he was excited to get to Austin.

“(When Texas re-offered), I remember him just liking my game a lot, liking my leadership, my grit for the game, toughness. I had been battling injury that week and he liked that I toughed it out and played (in the state championship game) and didn’t even worry about it.”

How injured was Klubnik in that MVP-winning performance in Arlington? He had injured his throwing shoulder the week prior in the semi-finals and didn’t throw a ball in practice the week leading up to the title game. In fact, he said he couldn’t even throw the ball five yards downfield that week before gutting it out in the game and leading his team to a 52-34 victory.

As for the Texas offer, Sarkisian seems to have zeroed in on Klubnik as one of his top targets, even before Weigman committed to A&M. He was the first quarterback Sark formally offered once he got to Austin, and he’s made it known to Klubnik that he’s a key part of UT’s recruiting puzzle in the 2022 class.

“I think they kind of need a quarterback in there to fill a spot. I think they’ve got a lot of moving parts around, but think I could be a big addition,” Klubnik said.

We’ll see if the commitment of Weigman changes Klubnik’s timetable at all. We’ve seen it happen before with quarterbacks, where dominoes start falling and players start locking up their spots earlier than expected. As of early this week, Klubnik said he’s “very far from making (his) decision” and he wasn’t planning to pick a school until the summer.

Texas will be in the mix when it comes time for Klubnik to officially decide.

“I definitely think they’ll have a good chance,” Klubnik said. “It’s still pretty new since I haven’t really known their staff until about a week and a half f ago. I’m still learning about them and building that relationship.”

And what does he know about Sarkisian?

“He loves to score TDs,” Klubnik said. “He’s got a good history, has had a good group of guys, has a good résumé.

Klubnik said QB development will be “huge” in his decision, so that should be an element that will weigh in Texas’ favor.

“I think just being able to go somewhere, be better three years later than when you got there, that’s really what it’s about,” Klubnik said.

Sticking with the Westlake theme, Texas put an offer on the table for offensive lineman Connor Robertson earlier this week. Robertson had a call with UT OL coach Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian and the offer was presented on Monday.

“I was really excited. My dad went to the University of Texas, so I have a little connection there,” Robertson said. “I was really excited. It’s always been a dream or goal of mine. I’m pumped up, excited for what coach Sark and coach Flood and them going to do with the program.”

Other recent offers for Robertson include Minnesota, Nebraska and Mississippi State. He wants to take his time and process the attention he’s receiving, but the Texas offer definitely has his attention.

“I’ve always been a fan. Really ever since I grew up. I have gone to a few games here and there. It’s a great school,” Robertson said. “I know my dad was pretty pumped up.”

Could Robertson and Klubnik wind up at UT together? It’s not something the two have talked about much, but Robertson said it’s certainly a possibility.

“That would be pretty cool. I love Cade. He’s a great player, even better person,” Robertson said. “We haven’t really talked about it yet, but I’m sure sometime down the line it will come up. I think it would be pretty cool. I hope he thinks it’ll be cool too. At the end of the day, he’ll make his decision with his best interest, and I’ll make mine.”

Robertson said he’d like to have a good idea of where he’ll wind up before summer rolls around, and he’d like to have his commitment out of the way before his senior season begins. Before deciding, he’s going to try to hit some campuses to get a feel for them during the current dead period.

“With Texas only 15 minutes away from me, I think I’ll definitely go there and kind of walk around. Obviously we can’t meet the coaches, can’t see any of the facilities, but you can get a sense of the actual school,” Robertson said. “The same probably goes with Baylor and SMU - kind of just the schools that are local. I actually did go look at Duke University. I went there and they offered me after I visited. That’s another school I’m interested in, and my mom went there. Once I get a few schools I’m kind of set on, I will probably make a trip or a few, get a look at them and get a sense.”

With Texas adding two preferred walk-ons from Westlake this week (Michael Taafe and Zane Minors), that could be another thing that helps UT in this race.

“I’ll definitely consider that. Michael and Zane are two of my best friends here, Zane especially being that he’s a running back. I would say that will definitely impact my decision to a certain extent,” Robertson said. “It would be cool playing with them for a couple years.”

Texas landed one 2022 running back commitment this week from Rivals100 member Jaydon Blue, but the staff will look to bring in a two-man class in that group. Recently, Rockwall-Heath’s Zach Evans picked up a UT offer and he said the Longhorns are high on his list.

“Right before coach Herman left, I had just got in touch with coach (Stan) Drayton. That’s really when the relationship started,” Evans said. “Once coach Sark came in, two days later we got on the phone. I got to FaceTime with the assistant running backs coach, coach (Brandon) Harris, from that point on I had a small conversation with coach Sark. I got to meet him, got to know him, then I got the offer.

“It’s a blessing. Every Texas recruit always wants to have that Texas offer. It’s amazing to have. It changes my recruiting up. Now I have to take a look.”

Evans said he’ll try to get down to UT for a visit once the dead period ends. As it stands now, Texas, Utah and Princeton are the three schools standing out.

His thoughts on his three favorites …

Utah – “It’s running back U over there. They’re known for having thousand-yard backs, are going to put a back in the league each year. I think that you can’t deny that.”

Princeton – “I think the life after football is something you can’t beat when you go to a school like that. You come out making six or seven figures, which is crazy. The academic part, the scholarship, to be able to graduate and say you graduated from Princeton can get you a job anywhere in the country.”

Texas – “Texas, it’s coach Drayton, the family atmosphere. Being a Texas kid, you always want to play for Texas, you’ve got to be a Texas fan. It’s close to home, a great university academically. And the family atmosphere there is something amazing.”

El Campo standout Rueben Owens was one of a handful of 2023 prospects who was re-offered by Texas this week. Recently, Owens put out a very early top five of Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU and Georgia. He’s been in touch recently with Sarkisian, Drayton and Bryan Carrington, and Owens touched on his top five …

Oklahoma – “I love the way Oklahoma uses the running backs by committee and I’ve built a good relationship with the staff.”

LSU – “LSU was the first program to offer me and has done a great job recruiting me so far.”

Texas A&M – “I love what Jimbo (Fisher) and the staff are building, plus being in the SEC is a plus. Their offensive backs are having great success and I like the linemen they are recruiting and the current O-line. The program is in a healthy place.”

Georgia – “UGA is really big on me coach McGee and I have a really good relationship, and they have done great with backs in the last few years.”

Texas – “Texas is a program that I’ve always liked since a kid. Now that coach Sark is there I’m interested to see if they can bring the tradition back to a respectable program that can contend for championships. If so I would give them a shot to recruit me.”

Though he’s already down to five, Owens said he doesn’t have a timeline for a final decision. He wants to go see the five schools on his list once the dead period ends and then go from there.

(Ketch)

With Steve Sarkisian confirming on Wednesday that the Longhorns have four scholarships that the program will sit on for the rest of the off-season will looking for pieces of the 2021 puzzle in the transfer portal, I thought we'd keep constant track of the best options in the portal throughout the spring.

With special consideration to needs that the Longhorns have and best possible talent available, here's this week's Top 10.

The list is deep with talent at linebacker.

1. LB - James Houston IV (Florida)

Seasons Remaining: 2

Notes: After talking smack about OU and the Big 12 last season, it's possibly a long-shot that he'll end up anywhere other than an SEC school. Still, he's really good and has two seasons of eligibility remaining after recording 100 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and three forced fumbles over the past three seasons for the Gators. He'd potentially be the best player on the Texas defense upon an arrival, but there's zero Texas presence on his social media following.

2. LB - Henry To'o To'o (Tennessee)

Seasons Remaining: 3

Notes: Could easily be the best player on this list after earning freshman All-America honors in 2019 and serving as the best player on the Tennessee defense in 2020. All the big boys are chasing him, including Alabama and Ohio State.

3. LB - Reynard Ellis (Georgia Southern)

Seasons remaining: 2

Notes: Plans on taking his time in the transfer process per a conversation I had with him a few weeks ago. Expects that things will pick up in April.

4. LB - Mike Jones (Clemson)

Seasons remaining: 3

Notes: A seven-game starter with the Tigers this season as a red-shirt sophomore, who finished with 30 tackles, four tackles for loss, four pass breakups and two interceptions this season, including an interception in the playoff against Ohio State. LSU, Miami and Notre Dame are schools that appear to be in the mix at this point, although I haven't seen a real update on him since his entry into the portal. Another player that doesn't appear to have any Texas connections through social media.

5. LB - Palaie Gaoteote IV (USC)

Notes: This is a kid worth keeping an eye on because it seems like the Longhorns have some interest in the former starter at USC, who was regarded as a five-star talent only two years ago. Big boys from all over the country are involved.

6. LB - Chance Campbell (Maryland)

Notes: The Longhorns are looking to beef up the inside linebacker position and Campbell earned honorable mention All Big 10 honors in 2020 after leading the Terps and ranking 12th in the nation in tackles per game. Michigan is a school to watch.

7. OL - Jahmir Johnson (Tennessee)

Seasons remaining: 1

Notes: Johnson is a former JUCO prospect that entered the 2020 season as a senior, but has an extra season of eligibility remaining because of the COVID rules and was projected to start at left tackle for the Vols at the time of his transfer. Split starts with OU transfer Wayne Morris this past season. Texas A&M is a school to watch at the moment.

8. WR - Ricky Smalling (Illinois)

Seasons Remaining: 1

Notes: This kid has been a very good player in the Big 10 and I've heard a number of Big 10 teams are interested.

9. DL - Weston Kramer (Northern lliinois)

Notes: A four year starter and the best defensive player at Northern Illinois, Kramer is viewed as a player that could be an instant starter for a power five school. Is following Baylor AD for Scouting James Blanchard( @jkbtc_53 on Twitter) on Twitter, which just seemed like an interesting note to bury in the War Room.

10. LB - Quavaris Crouch (Tennessee)

Notes: The 6-2, 235-pound Crouch was the third-leading tackler for the Vols during his sophomore season with 57 tackles, while also forcing two fumbles and recording two tackles for loss. I haven't seen any recent updates since his entry into the portal.

Please don't quote me to bitch about Ketch's rankings. I haven't even looked at them and I don't want all the notifications. It's better than the vomit of the last couple pages. And if we get this off topic again I'll post more Ketch content. That's not a threat; it's a promise. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

IT

Spoiler

It’s 2018 all over again

At least when it comes to a new Texas staff having a fantastic instate crop of defensive backs to recruit.

In talking to numerous sources close to defensive back recruits we’re picking up on the infant stages of a consensus being built. The new staff is pushing the idea of competition truly opening up after the current group consisting of D’Shawn Jamison, Josh Thompson, Darion Dunn, and BJ Foster leave. The young bucks are sensing opportunity for early playing time.

That written, the recruitment of Denver Harris hasn’t exactly come out of the gates fast. He’s not the type of recruit who likes to talk to coaches every day so striking the right balance between being aggressive yet not overly burdensome is difficult at first. Harris and his mother will be on an important call with Sarkisian later today. We say it’s important because momentum with him is there for the taking.

This call will just be the intro to the much bigger Zoom presentation. We‘ve heard the new staff is blowing these Zoom calls out of the water. The coaches are detailed, organized, and highly personable. One source has been on countless Zoom calls with coaches across the country and he claims time with the Texas staff is unparalleled in its effectiveness.

From what we’ve heard from talking to recruits or those close to them, Sarkisian is incredibly hands on and accessible. When Tom Herman was hired we said his approach would only work if he won big. With Sarkisian, you can see how his reputation for being a great recruiter is deserved. If UT wins, he will become as good of a recruiter as we’ve seen.

2022 TE opens recruitment back up

Westminster (GA) 2022 TE Holden Staes backed off his commitment to Penn State Friday morning. Thst is music to the ears of Texas TE's coach Jeff Banks. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Staes was the first TE offered by Banks when he arrived in Austin. Staes says the Longhorns are in the mix for his signature.

"He (Banks) offered me to play at Texas because he was familiar with me from when he was at Bama. He said that he believed I was the top TE on his board, and that I would be a great fit in Sark's offense. I'm definitely interested in Texas. I loved what Sark did at Bama."

QB Dominoes

As we put the finishing touches on to our 2021 class recap we were reminded of how QB dominoes shape classes and shift momentum. With Conner Weigman wisely committing to A&M, we could be reaching an inflection point with what happens at Texas.

We say Weigman was wise to commit to A&M because he didn’t have a UT offer but his instate competition, Cade Klubnik, did. Now Klubnik is down to one option he truly covets, Texas, unless Clemson offers soon. The problem there is, Clemson is very likely to get Tennessee quarterback Ty Simpson later this month. A&M held on to optimism regarding Simpson as long as it could, but realized it better shift to Klubnik and Weigman. Despite him not committing yet, Simpson was the first domino affecting UT and A&M.

Klubnik is likely going to survey the field and see UT as his best option. It’s certainly an option he likes. You’ll recall we’ve been saying his A&M ties were overblown, but with Weigman now in the boat for the Aggies, Klubnik has any family pressure there might be to select A&M off of him. It could end up where Weigman the UT fan ends up at A&M while the Aggie legacy ends up at UT. But we all know the dragon in the room.

The issue for Klubnik is the unknown with Quinn Ewers. While Klubnik got the best of Ewers on the field in the state championship game, Ewers is unquestionably the top target for Steve Sarkisian. How much time can Klubnik reasonably take to make a decision? We know he’s already comfortable with the idea of being the QB at Texas.

From Ewers’ competitive perspective, the idea of Klubnik becoming the quarterback at Texas can’t sit too well, despite his Ohio State commitment. Unless you believe he’s completely over Texas there has to be some fear of missing out. That position in his class is essentially his birthright.

From a year ago we know Ewers is very fond of Sarkisian. That feeling extends prior to Sarkisian coming to Austin and continues now as the two stay in contact. Recently we’ve heard UT feels like it still has a decent chance for the flip.

In recruiting there’s often a card to play and Texas is now showing interest in Southlake Carroll 2022 WR Landon Samson. Samson is Ewers‘ closest friend on the Dragons. Samson has offers from Baylor, SMU, and others, along with serious interest from Texas, Utah, Nebraska, and Arizona State.

We’re well aware of Ewers’ pro-Ohio State posture on Twitter. If you go by only that, you’ll assume he’s a lock to stick with the Buckeyes, but that might end up being like taking a vote of confidence at face value.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

This shit right here is baffling.  No wonder we fucking lose so much.  These guys have no idea what expectations are at Texas.  My God, we are 6-1 all time versus the Billy Bob's...and that 1 loss should have been a curbstomp victory.

Fuckin A. Shows a lot of players don’t know shit. “Outside of 05 and 09”?? Sorry guess I imagined Texas being the winningest cfb program of the 2000s. 

25 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

In a desperate attempt to get this thread back on track I'm posting some OB content

Ketch's Top 100 rankings with some details at the bottom

Hide contents

-

PRO

Austin, TX
Westlake

6'2"

-

CB

Houston, TX
North Shore

6'1"

-

DT

Denton, TX
Ryan

6'4"

Georgia
2/3/21
VERBAL

-

PRO

Southlake, TX
Carroll

6'3"

Ohio State
11/19/20
VERBAL

-

RB

Houston, TX
Klein Cain

5'11"

Texas
2/2/21
VERBAL

-

OT

Humble, TX
Atascocita

6'4"

-

SDE

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'4"

-

WDE

Katy, TX
Katy

6'6"

Texas A&M
1/17/21
VERBAL

-

DUAL

Cypress, TX
Bridgeland

6'2"

Texas A&M
2/4/21
VERBAL

-

OT

Arlington, TX
Bowie

6'4"

-

OT

Houston, TX
Summer Creek

6'5"

-

WR

Frisco, TX
Liberty

6'1"

-

WR

Del Valle, TX
Del Valle

6'0"

Ohio State
11/23/20
VERBAL

-

OLB

Cypress, TX
Cypress Park

6'3"

-

S

Beaumont, TX
Westbrook

6'0"

-

CB

Port Arthur, TX
Port Arthur Memorial

6'0"

Texas
9/19/20
VERBAL

-

WR

Lewisville, TX
Lewisville

6'2"

Texas
1/12/21
VERBAL

-

RB

Tyler, TX
Legacy (Tyler)

5'10"

-

ATH

Spearman, TX
Spearman

5'11"

-

TE

Dickinson, TX
Dickinson

6'4"

Texas A&M
1/21/21
VERBAL

-

WR

Garland, TX
Garland

6'1"

Oklahoma
7/21/20
VERBAL

-

ILB

Lubbock, TX
Cooper

6'3"

Oklahoma
1/15/20
VERBAL

-

RB

El Paso, TX
Burges

5'11"

-

DT

Bremond, TX
Bremond

6'5"

-

OG

Allen, TX
Allen

6'5"

-

DUAL

Sachse, TX
Sachse

6'3"

-

SDE

Arlington, TX
Martin

6'5"

-

S

Aledo, TX
Aledo

6'1"

-

S

Plano, TX
Pope John Paul II

6'0"

-

CB

Katy, TX
Katy

6'1"

-

WDE

Fort Worth, TX
Nolan Catholic

6'4"

-

OT

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'5"

-

WR

Gladewater, TX
Gladewater

6'0"

-

OT

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'6"

-

PRO

Rockwall, TX
Rockwall-Heath

6'2"

-

S

Garland, TX
Garland

6'1"

-

OT

Dickinson, TX
Dickinson

6'5"

Texas A&M
1/21/21
VERBAL

-

CB

Denton, TX
Ryan

6'0"

-

WR

Lancaster, TX
Lancaster

6'4"

-

ILB

Arlington, TX
Martin

6'1"

-

ATH

Lexington, TX
Lexington

6'1"

-

S

Argyle, TX
Liberty Christian

6'1"

-

OLB

Houston, TX
The Woodlands

6'2"

-

RB

Fort Worth, TX
Nolan Catholic

6'1"

-

WDE

McKinney, TX
McKinney North

6'4"

-

TE

Aledo, TX
Aledo

6'5"

-

ATH

Pilot Point, TX
Pilot Point Selz

6'4"

-

OLB

Carthage, TX
Carthage

6'3"

-

SDE

Flower Mound, TX
Coram Deo Academy

6'2"

-

PRO

Frisco, TX
Frisco Lone Star

6'2"

-

OG

Frisco, TX
Frisco

6'6"

-

CB

Houston, TX
Clear Lake

6'0"

-

ILB

Manvel, TX
Manvel

6'1"

-

PRO

Rockwall, TX
Rockwall

6'0"

-

S

Arlington, TX
Timberview

6'0"

-

OLB

Texarkana, TX
Texas

6'5"

-

DT

Houston, TX
North Shore

6'4"

-

OT

Austin, TX
Westlake

6'4"

-

ILB

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'0"

-

PRO

Flower Mound, TX
Flower Mound

6'3"

-

TE

Mesquite, TX
Universal Academy

6'5"

-

RB

Dallas, TX
Skyline

5'8"

-

OT

Lubbock, TX
Estacado

6'4"

-

RB

Newton, TX
Newton

5'11"

-

APB

Denison, TX
Denison

5'11"

-

ATH

Lancaster, TX
Lancaster

6'0"

-

DT

Mount Pleasant, TX
Mount Pleasant

6'3"

-

WR

Missouri City, TX
Fort Bend Marshall

6'4"

-

WR

Dallas, TX
Skyline

6'4"

-

OG

Corpus Christi, TX
Flour Bluff

6'2"

-

WR

Gilmer, TX
Gilmer

6'3"

-

C

Orange, TX
West Orange-Stark

6'3"

-

TE

Southlake, TX
Carroll

6'4"

-

TE

Pearland, TX
Shadow Creek

6'3"

-

RB

Rockwall, TX
Rockwall-Heath

5'10"

-

WR

Tenaha, TX
Tenaha

6'2"

-

WR

Klein, TX
Klein Cain

6'1"

-

SG

Coppell, TX
Coppell

6'6"

-

WR

Lancaster, TX
Lancaster

6'1"

-

ATH

Killeen, TX
Shoemaker

6'1"

-

WDE

Plano, TX
John Paul II

6'5"

-

WR

North Richland Hills, TX
Richland

6'0"

TCU
1/24/21
VERBAL

-

WR

Houston, TX
North Shore

6'1"

Cincinnati
11/2/20
VERBAL

-

CB

Cedar Hill, TX
Cedar Hill

6'0"

-

OT

Haslet, TX
V. R. Eaton High School

6'7"

-

OT

Argyle, TX
Argyle

6'4"

-

WR

Katy, TX
Katy

6'4"

-

RB

Tyler, TX
Tyler Lee

5'11"

-

S

Houston, TX
Shadow Creek

6'0"

-

CB

Brenham, TX
Brenham

5'11"

-

WR

Humble, TX
Atascocita

6'1"

-

S

Pearland, TX
Pearland

6'2"

Colorado
2/4/21
VERBAL

-

TE

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'4"

-

OT

Crowley, TX
Crowley

6'5"

-

OLB

Del Valle, TX
Del Valle

6'1"

-

RB

Euless, TX
Trinity

6'2"

Oklahoma State
2/2/21
VERBAL

-

WR

Grand Prairie, TX
Grand Prairie

6'0"

SMU
9/1/20
VERBAL

-

WR

Dallas, TX
Kimball

6'5"

-

DT

Duncanville, TX
Duncanville

6'5"

-

ILB

Spring, TX
Spring High School

6'0"

A few thoughts....

* I'm just going to cut to the chase. A lot of the same principles from yesterday's rankings update to today's are exactly the same.

* The 2022 list is the least impacted by camps, combined and other non-11-on-11 evaluations than any ist of rankings we've seen in the last decade. There's a lot of clutter beyond the top 14 at certain positions and I'd love to have all the normal evaluation methods that we normally have.

* 1-6 are five-star prospects in my rankings and won't argue too hard with any of you if you believe the order of those top 6.

*7-14 represented high four-star value for me,

Those are for me the definitive game-changers in the state this year. That list will evolve in the next 9-12 months, but I feel real good about those 14.

On Quinn Ewers - I don't know that I'm going to be any less ridiculed in this update than I was in the last update. Let me get the positives out of the way. He's an incredible thrower of the football. The ease with which he throws the football around the field is so superior to his peers that it's an apples and oranges conversation in most cases. I feel like that's an incredible compliment and I'm not sure I've ever said that about a quarterback prospect from Texas.

I do not believe he's the best player/prospect in the country. That's not me trying to have a "look-at-me" moment, it's just me being honest and breaking away from the pack somewhat because it's how I feel. I think one of my biggest compliments of Ewers leads into a question about his game that feels significant. His release and delivery of the ball is so freaking calm that it's actually kind of beautiful in its art-form. At this level, Ewers often is never rushed into quickening his mechanics at all. It's all so calm and so smooth all the time. One of the questions I have about his game is how it will translate to the next level when he is forced to play in a busy pocket and how his play will react to increased urgency around him. In the state title game against Westlake, he found himself in a busier pocket than any other point I saw this season and he blinked a few times in ways that screamed that he was more uncomfortable than normal.. He's a monster player. I think there's a chance he plays football into his 30s. I just think he's closer to being J.T. Daniels at the next level than there is that he's Vince Young, Cam Newton or even Matthew Stafford.

On Klubnick - I'm all-in on this kid. The questions that I have about Ewers with regards to how his game will translate when everything around him forces everything from his decision-making, mechanics and overall urgency to increase. I don't worry about at with Klubnick. This kid has ice in his veins, makes all of the throws, is a better athlete than Ewers and... no matter how much anyone wants to pretend like it might not have mattered... he was clearly the best player on the field when they played against each other in the state title game. There is no player in the 2022 class that I'd rather have right now than him.

I mentioned this in another thread last night, but let me give you an example of what I'm talking about with Klubnick.

Look at this play from this past season. He's hanging in the pocket and he's got pressure coming right into his face. It is not clear at this point what the hell is about to happen.

View attachment 536

In a fraction of a second, the pressure not only reaches him, but he's being lifted off the ground, but Klubnik doesn't flinch a damn lick. I don't know how the hell he gets the ball out, but he does.

View attachment 537

Game. Blouses.

View attachment 538

On Denver Harris: Must-have defensive back prospect. That guy should play on Sundays one day.

On Bear Alexander: Do yourself a favor. Just watch thus.

On Jaydon Blue: I believe he's going to be rated as a five-star by Rivals before this year is out. He had a national top 60 ranking BEFORE his junior season and I'm telling you right now, he found a different gear in 2020.

On Kam Dewberry - Feels very Kenyon Green-ish to me and that's a good thing.

On Weigman - He's the most under-valued prospect in the state. He's f;ing legit.

On Devon Campbell - I thought he was a 5-star coming into the 2020 season... I've backed off that opinion slightly. Same with Kelvin Banks.

On Evan Stewart: The kid can fly. Of all the various receivers in the state and the traits they possess, Stewart's ability to change a game with his speed really stands on.

ON Caleb Burton: Coming off a major injury, I'll need to see him this season before I can put him in the top 2 tiers, especially when you consider the historical bust-rate of players with his profile inside the state of Texas.

On Harold Perkins: part of me thinks he's going to finish as a Top 10 prospect. The other part of me realizes that players at his position with his physical profile that have hit in the last 20 years can be counted on a couple of fingers. My heart tells me he's a bad dude... my head tells me that he has a high bust probability.

* On 25-50: Just throw those names up in the air and rank them in any order. It really doesn't matter. All are very good prospects that could creep into that Top 15 level by the end of the year.

On DJ Allen: Keep an eye on this kid. I have him at No.33.... he might just explode this spring.

War Room. Actually has some decent information about scholarship numbers

Hide contents

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian is taking a methodical approach to putting together his 2021 roster.

During his signing day press conference on Wednesday, Sarkisian explained why the Longhorns still have scholarships available as opposed to obtaining more high school players to complete his roster.

“Clearly, what happened for us here is we didn't want to reach too far and just fill up all of our numbers,” Sarkisian said. “We've really got four spots still available for us. In the nature of college football right now with the transfer portal and the things going on and the potential one-time transfer rule coming down the road, we wanted to make sure we left ourselves enough wiggle room and versatility to get through spring ball and maybe address some a few more needs that may come down the road. Ideally, you come in at the front end and you sign all the 25 of your guys and away you go. This was obviously a unique situation with the signing period where 19 kids were already signed, which we feel very good about. We think they're going to be good additions to the program. Now what do you do with those last few spots, knowing the majority of the players are off the board and they're already signed and going to other schools? Aall in all, I thought we did a really good job on the 21 class, leaving us some wiggle room and filling some needs.”

As a result of Sarkisian’s statement, we decided it was time to dive into the scholarship board and see who is actually available after some players turned pro, others hit the transfer portal, and sorting through the seniors returning for another season.

Here are a few things you need to know about the 2021 college football roster:

--- The NCAA is not counting seniors who returned for another year at the same school against the program’s scholarship number. For instance, Texas senior tight end Cade Brewer does not count. However, senior defensive back Darion Dunn, who transferred from McNeese counts against the 85-scholarship limit.

--- Every team needs to have 85 scholarship players when practice begins in August. The 25 number is a hard cap in each recruiting year for every team.

--- Just to reiterate, Texas can have more than 85 scholarship players this season. However, that number cannot include players who would not have been eligible under normal circumstances.

Here are a few things you need to know about the Texas roster:

--- I was told Texas defensive end Peter Mpagi is expected to medically retire due to his heart condition.

--- Longhorn running back Derrian Brown is on a medical scholarship and no longer counts against the scholarship number. That means Brown has officially given up on playing college football due to his medical condition. However, Texas is still playing for his education.

--- Notre Dame transfer Ovie Oghoufo is not listed in the numbers at this point. Although he is committed to the Longhorns, he won't officially join the program until the summer and hasn't officially been announced by the school.

--- Junior Cort Jaquez was on scholarship last year, but when we checked with school officials on Thursday, we were informed that his scholarship has not yet been renewed.

--- There are seven potential seniors using their extra year: Cade Brewer, Tope Imade, Jacoby Jones, Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor, Brenden Schooler and Gabriel Watson.

--- One thing to keep in mind with regards to the scholarship accounting. The Longhorns signed only 20 prospects in the 2020 recruiting class and added two graduate transfers to the recruiting numbers (Tariq Black and Brenden Schooler), which means the Longhorns could (in theory) have room for up to three more players in the 2021 class if they slide some of the early enrollee numbers from the group that just arrived in January into the 2020 numbers for accounting purposes. We'll double-check on Friday on how the program treated the 2020 year from a scholarship bookkeeping standpoint and update you when we have an answer.

* Numbers in parenthesis are the total at each position counted towards the 85-man scholarship number.

Quarterbacks (3)

Casey Thompson, So.
Hudson Card, Fr.
Charles Wright, QB, incoming freshman

Running Backs (4)

Gabriel Watson, Super Senior
Daniel Young, Senior
Roschon Johnson, So.
Bijan Robinson, Fr.
Jonathon Brooks, RB, incoming freshman

Wide Receivers (13)

Brenden Schooler, Super Senior
Joshua Moore, R-So.
Kai Money, So.
Jake Smith, So.
Marcus Washington, So.
Al’Vonte Woodard, So.
Kennedy Lewis, R-Fr.
Jordan Whittington, R-Fr.
Kelvontay Dixon, Fr.
Dajon Harrison, Fr.
Troy Omeire, Fr.
Jaden Alexis, WR, incoming freshman
Casey Cain, WR, incoming freshman
Keithron Lee, WR, incoming freshman

Tight Ends (5)

Cade Brewer, Super Senior
Malcolm Epps, So.
Jared Wiley, So.
Brayeden Liebrock, R-Fr.
Juan Davis, TE, incoming freshman
Gunnar Helm, TE, incoming freshman

Offensive Line (11)

Top Imade, Super Senior
Derek Kerstetter, Super Senior
Denzel Okafor, Super Senior
Junior Angilau, So.
Rafiti Ghirmai, So.
Christian Jones, So.
Isaiah Hookfin, R-Fr.
Tyler Johnson, R-Fr.
Jaylen Garth, Fr.
Andrej Karic, Fr.
Jake Majors, Fr.
Logan Parr, Fr.
Hayden Conner, OL, incoming freshman
Max Merril, OL, incoming freshman

Defensive Linemen (13)

Jacoby Jones, Super Senior
Marqez Bimage, Senior
Keondre Coburn, So.
Moro Ojomo, So.
T’Vondre Sweat, So.
Myron Warren, R-Fr.
Vernon Broughton, Fr.
Alfred Collins, Fr.
Sawyer Goram-Welch, Fr.
David Abiara, incoming freshman
Byron Murphy, incoming freshman
Ja’tavion Sanders, incoming freshman
Barryn Sorrell, Incoming freshman.
Jordon Thomas, incoming freshman

Linebackers (13)

Ray Thornton, LB, graduate senior
Juwan Mitchell, Jr.
DeMarvion Overshown, Jr.
Luke Brockermeyer, So.
Jett Bush, So.
David Gbenda, R-Fr.
Prince Dorbah, Fr.
Marcus Tillman, R-Fr.
Jaylan Ford, Fr.
Jaden Hullaby, Fr.
Morice Blackwell Jr., LB, incoming freshman
Terrence Cooks II, LB, incoming freshman
Derrick Harris Jr., LB, incoming freshman

Defensive Backs (15)

Darion Dunn, DB, Sr.
Josh Thompson, R-Jr.
Anthony Cook, Jr.
Montrell Estell, Jr.
B.J. Foster, Jr.
D’Shawn Jaminson, Jr.
Chris Adimora, So.
Tyler Owens, So.
Marques Caldwell, R-Fr.
Jahdae Barron, Fr.
Kitan Crawford, Fr.
Jerrin Thompson, Fr.
JD Coffey III, DB, incoming freshman
Ishmael Ibraheem, DB, incoming freshman
Jamier Johnson, DB, incoming freshman

Special Teams (4)

Cameron Dicker, K, Jr.
Ryan Bujcevski, P, Jr.
Justin Mader, Jr., LS
Isaac Pearson, P, incoming freshman

Total: 81

(From Suchomel)

I feel sorry for Cade Klubnik.

When I spoke to him a few weeks ago, it was just prior to Texas having re-offered him. So he got the “pleasure” of dealing with me this week for a follow-up. Now, two days after he and I talked again, Texas A&M picked up a commitment from Connor Weigman, meaning Klubnik will probably have to deal with me pestering him again pretty soon.

Early in the week, Klubnik gave me the rundown of his re-offer from the Longhorns.

“I was talking to coach Sark and we had a good conversation. We were talking about the things he liked about me,” Klubnik said. “I had been talking to coach (AJ) Milwee for about a week. I had talked to coach Sark the day before the national championship game and said he was excited to get to Austin.

“(When Texas re-offered), I remember him just liking my game a lot, liking my leadership, my grit for the game, toughness. I had been battling injury that week and he liked that I toughed it out and played (in the state championship game) and didn’t even worry about it.”

How injured was Klubnik in that MVP-winning performance in Arlington? He had injured his throwing shoulder the week prior in the semi-finals and didn’t throw a ball in practice the week leading up to the title game. In fact, he said he couldn’t even throw the ball five yards downfield that week before gutting it out in the game and leading his team to a 52-34 victory.

As for the Texas offer, Sarkisian seems to have zeroed in on Klubnik as one of his top targets, even before Weigman committed to A&M. He was the first quarterback Sark formally offered once he got to Austin, and he’s made it known to Klubnik that he’s a key part of UT’s recruiting puzzle in the 2022 class.

“I think they kind of need a quarterback in there to fill a spot. I think they’ve got a lot of moving parts around, but think I could be a big addition,” Klubnik said.

We’ll see if the commitment of Weigman changes Klubnik’s timetable at all. We’ve seen it happen before with quarterbacks, where dominoes start falling and players start locking up their spots earlier than expected. As of early this week, Klubnik said he’s “very far from making (his) decision” and he wasn’t planning to pick a school until the summer.

Texas will be in the mix when it comes time for Klubnik to officially decide.

“I definitely think they’ll have a good chance,” Klubnik said. “It’s still pretty new since I haven’t really known their staff until about a week and a half f ago. I’m still learning about them and building that relationship.”

And what does he know about Sarkisian?

“He loves to score TDs,” Klubnik said. “He’s got a good history, has had a good group of guys, has a good résumé.

Klubnik said QB development will be “huge” in his decision, so that should be an element that will weigh in Texas’ favor.

“I think just being able to go somewhere, be better three years later than when you got there, that’s really what it’s about,” Klubnik said.

Sticking with the Westlake theme, Texas put an offer on the table for offensive lineman Connor Robertson earlier this week. Robertson had a call with UT OL coach Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian and the offer was presented on Monday.

“I was really excited. My dad went to the University of Texas, so I have a little connection there,” Robertson said. “I was really excited. It’s always been a dream or goal of mine. I’m pumped up, excited for what coach Sark and coach Flood and them going to do with the program.”

Other recent offers for Robertson include Minnesota, Nebraska and Mississippi State. He wants to take his time and process the attention he’s receiving, but the Texas offer definitely has his attention.

“I’ve always been a fan. Really ever since I grew up. I have gone to a few games here and there. It’s a great school,” Robertson said. “I know my dad was pretty pumped up.”

Could Robertson and Klubnik wind up at UT together? It’s not something the two have talked about much, but Robertson said it’s certainly a possibility.

“That would be pretty cool. I love Cade. He’s a great player, even better person,” Robertson said. “We haven’t really talked about it yet, but I’m sure sometime down the line it will come up. I think it would be pretty cool. I hope he thinks it’ll be cool too. At the end of the day, he’ll make his decision with his best interest, and I’ll make mine.”

Robertson said he’d like to have a good idea of where he’ll wind up before summer rolls around, and he’d like to have his commitment out of the way before his senior season begins. Before deciding, he’s going to try to hit some campuses to get a feel for them during the current dead period.

“With Texas only 15 minutes away from me, I think I’ll definitely go there and kind of walk around. Obviously we can’t meet the coaches, can’t see any of the facilities, but you can get a sense of the actual school,” Robertson said. “The same probably goes with Baylor and SMU - kind of just the schools that are local. I actually did go look at Duke University. I went there and they offered me after I visited. That’s another school I’m interested in, and my mom went there. Once I get a few schools I’m kind of set on, I will probably make a trip or a few, get a look at them and get a sense.”

With Texas adding two preferred walk-ons from Westlake this week (Michael Taafe and Zane Minors), that could be another thing that helps UT in this race.

“I’ll definitely consider that. Michael and Zane are two of my best friends here, Zane especially being that he’s a running back. I would say that will definitely impact my decision to a certain extent,” Robertson said. “It would be cool playing with them for a couple years.”

Texas landed one 2022 running back commitment this week from Rivals100 member Jaydon Blue, but the staff will look to bring in a two-man class in that group. Recently, Rockwall-Heath’s Zach Evans picked up a UT offer and he said the Longhorns are high on his list.

“Right before coach Herman left, I had just got in touch with coach (Stan) Drayton. That’s really when the relationship started,” Evans said. “Once coach Sark came in, two days later we got on the phone. I got to FaceTime with the assistant running backs coach, coach (Brandon) Harris, from that point on I had a small conversation with coach Sark. I got to meet him, got to know him, then I got the offer.

“It’s a blessing. Every Texas recruit always wants to have that Texas offer. It’s amazing to have. It changes my recruiting up. Now I have to take a look.”

Evans said he’ll try to get down to UT for a visit once the dead period ends. As it stands now, Texas, Utah and Princeton are the three schools standing out.

His thoughts on his three favorites …

Utah – “It’s running back U over there. They’re known for having thousand-yard backs, are going to put a back in the league each year. I think that you can’t deny that.”

Princeton – “I think the life after football is something you can’t beat when you go to a school like that. You come out making six or seven figures, which is crazy. The academic part, the scholarship, to be able to graduate and say you graduated from Princeton can get you a job anywhere in the country.”

Texas – “Texas, it’s coach Drayton, the family atmosphere. Being a Texas kid, you always want to play for Texas, you’ve got to be a Texas fan. It’s close to home, a great university academically. And the family atmosphere there is something amazing.”

El Campo standout Rueben Owens was one of a handful of 2023 prospects who was re-offered by Texas this week. Recently, Owens put out a very early top five of Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU and Georgia. He’s been in touch recently with Sarkisian, Drayton and Bryan Carrington, and Owens touched on his top five …

Oklahoma – “I love the way Oklahoma uses the running backs by committee and I’ve built a good relationship with the staff.”

LSU – “LSU was the first program to offer me and has done a great job recruiting me so far.”

Texas A&M – “I love what Jimbo (Fisher) and the staff are building, plus being in the SEC is a plus. Their offensive backs are having great success and I like the linemen they are recruiting and the current O-line. The program is in a healthy place.”

Georgia – “UGA is really big on me coach McGee and I have a really good relationship, and they have done great with backs in the last few years.”

Texas – “Texas is a program that I’ve always liked since a kid. Now that coach Sark is there I’m interested to see if they can bring the tradition back to a respectable program that can contend for championships. If so I would give them a shot to recruit me.”

Though he’s already down to five, Owens said he doesn’t have a timeline for a final decision. He wants to go see the five schools on his list once the dead period ends and then go from there.

(Ketch)

With Steve Sarkisian confirming on Wednesday that the Longhorns have four scholarships that the program will sit on for the rest of the off-season will looking for pieces of the 2021 puzzle in the transfer portal, I thought we'd keep constant track of the best options in the portal throughout the spring.

With special consideration to needs that the Longhorns have and best possible talent available, here's this week's Top 10.

The list is deep with talent at linebacker.

1. LB - James Houston IV (Florida)

Seasons Remaining: 2

Notes: After talking smack about OU and the Big 12 last season, it's possibly a long-shot that he'll end up anywhere other than an SEC school. Still, he's really good and has two seasons of eligibility remaining after recording 100 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and three forced fumbles over the past three seasons for the Gators. He'd potentially be the best player on the Texas defense upon an arrival, but there's zero Texas presence on his social media following.

2. LB - Henry To'o To'o (Tennessee)

Seasons Remaining: 3

Notes: Could easily be the best player on this list after earning freshman All-America honors in 2019 and serving as the best player on the Tennessee defense in 2020. All the big boys are chasing him, including Alabama and Ohio State.

3. LB - Reynard Ellis (Georgia Southern)

Notes: Plans on taking his time in the transfer process per a conversation I had with him a few weeks ago. Expects that things will pick up in April.

4. LB - Mike Jones (Clemson)

Notes: A seven-game starter with the Tigers this season as a red-shirt sophomore, who finished with 30 tackles, four tackles for loss, four pass breakups and two interceptions this season, including an interception in the playoff against Ohio State. LSU, Miami and Notre Dame are schools that appear to be in the mix at this point, although I haven't seen a real update on him since his entry into the portal. Another player that doesn't appear to have any Texas connections through social media.

5. LB - Palaie Gaoteote IV (USC)

Notes: This is a kid worth keeping an eye on because it seems like the Longhorns have some interest in the former starter at USC, who was regarded as a five-star talent only two years ago. Big boys from all over the country are involved.

6. LB - Chance Campbell (Maryland)

Notes: The Longhorns are looking to beef up the inside linebacker position and Campbell earned honorable mention All Big 10 honors in 2020 after leading the Terps and ranking 12th in the nation in tackles per game. Michigan is a school to watch.

7. OL - Jahmir Johnson (Tennessee)

Notes: Johnson is a former JUCO prospect that entered the 2020 season as a senior, but has an extra season of eligibility remaining because of the COVID rules and was projected to start at left tackle for the Vols at the time of his transfer. Split starts with OU transfer Wayne Morris this past season. Texas A&M is a school to watch at the moment.

8. WR - Ricky Smalling (Illinois)

Seasons Remaining: 1

Notes: This kid has been a very good player in the Big 10 and I've heard a number of Big 10 teams are interested.

9. DL - Weston Kramer (Northern lliinois)

Notes: A four year starter and the best defensive player at Northern Illinois, Kramer is viewed as a player that could be an instant starter for a power five school. Is following Baylor AD for Scouting James Blanchard( @jkbtc_53 on Twitter) on Twitter, which just seemed like an interesting note to bury in the War Room.

10. LB - Quavaris Crouch (Tennessee)

Notes: The 6-2, 235-pound Crouch was the third-leading tackler for the Vols during his sophomore season with 57 tackles, while also forcing two fumbles and recording two tackles for loss. I haven't seen any recent updates since his entry into the portal.

Please don't quote me to bitch about Ketch's rankings. I haven't even looked at them and I don't want all the notifications. It's better than the vomit of the last couple pages. And if we get this off topic again I'll post more Ketch content. That's not a threat; it's a promise. 

How do you still egregiously misspell Jaquess as a 995er? He's a multiple-game starter at this point.

Also Klubnik at 1. Lol.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just learning how much that matters to a current football player or recruit?

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make — my comment is in reference to John Burt believing we shouldn’t have fired Herman based on his performance and Texas’ expectations are too high. I know you don’t agree with that, either. Burt doesn’t know what the fuck he’s talking about.

But yeah a few people made the point better than me upthread and I didn’t read before responding, my bad. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting