Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Not really. They have a stud ready to make it real, and ... fuck it. The other guy can enjoy the shithole. 

There is a lot of consternation out there about taking an OOS guy at QB in year one, but I have a lot of consternation about the lead guy in this state willing to commit career suicide by going to OSU where they haven’t developed a QB since it seems like Art Schleister. Not talking about picks, just players. Anyway, fuck’em if they can’t take a joke. 
I’m no fan of Klubnik. I’ll take Murphy and others in the wave of momentum with him. At least it will be interesting. Either way, seems like it’s happening, full Ron Paul-style. 

I’ll have you know, Troy Smith won a Heisman.
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I’ll have you know, Troy Smith won a Heisman.

Ha. You touch on a fun subject for me, but probably a distraction on this thread, unless we want to get to 1000. 

Who is the worst Heisman winner since WW2? It’s hard to beat Paul Hornung. Nevermind his pro career. It was fucking rigged for Notre Dame. Outside of that fuckjob, there is some other good bullshit. Gino fucking Torretta. Troy fucking Smith. Jason fucking White. One of Archie Griffin’s two years. 

For me, Torretta is the worst followed by Griffin’s 2nd. Smith is a top 5-er though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. You touch on a fun subject for me, but probably a distraction on this thread, unless we want to get to 1000. 

Who is the worst Heisman winner since WW2? It’s hard to beat Paul Hornung. Nevermind his pro career. It was fucking rigged for Notre Dame. Outside of that fuckjob, there is some other good bullshit. Gino fucking Torretta. Troy fucking Smith. Jason fucking White. One of Archie Griffin’s two years. 

For me, Torretta is the worst followed by Griffin’s 2nd. Smith is a top 5-er though. 

Danny Wuerfful(sp) Jason White and Charlie Ward say hold my beer.

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Danny Wuerfful(sp) Jason White and Charlie Ward say hold my beer.

Charlie Ward? He of the fast break offense? Holy shit, man, no fucking way. He was amazing to watch on that team. 

Wuerfful gets mentioned in these discussions a lot, but he put up amazing college numbers for a title winning team or near title winning team. His pro value matters not to me. 

I mentioned White. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Unbelievable raw tools. No katfid but he reminds me a lot of Jameis Winston with his arm motion. He has some shit to clean up for sure but if you trust your development and have a guy like Card or Thompson to stick him behind for 3ish years...I totally get it. Easily my second favorite QB prospect in this class and the second highest upside as well, my only problem with it is he’s not the first

I've seen that one posted and it shows the cannon, but I like this one a lot more. It's a year later and there's noticeable improvement in his footwork. His ball placement isn't the best in the first but you can't really knock him on that when he hasn't played with the receivers much. Usually look at the tape to judge that... There's also a video of him at 7v7 in 2020 where has a couple really nice throws in tight windows (along with some overthrows but oh well)

I think it's an awesome take

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The 2003 OU team was a buzzsaw for most of the season, but I'm probably going to go with Jason White.  First, fuck OU.  Second, he really might objectively be the least talented Heisman winner.  He wasn't drafted.  He spent no time in the NFL.  Even Torretta was a 7th round pick and hung around the league for 5 years or so. 

Jason White won a Heisman without even being an NFL prospect.  If you remove the team and the system around him - a way ahead of its time QB-friendly system, btw - what was he really?

Also, to make this recruiting related, Sam Ehlinger was a better player and more talented future prospect as a junior in high school at Westlake than Klubnik is at the same stage now.   I welcome our California QB overlord with open arms. 

Don’t forget he beat out Larry Fucking Fitzgerald for the award, literally the best college receiver I’ve ever seen

13 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I've seen that one posted and it shows the cannon, but I like this one a lot more. It's a year later and there's noticeable improvement in his footwork. His ball placement isn't the best in the first but you can't really knock him on that when he hasn't played with the receivers much. Usually look at the tape to judge that... There's also a video of him at 7v7 in 2020 where has a couple really nice throws in tight windows (along with some overthrows but oh well)

I think it's an awesome take

Fuck yea, I'll take the 6'5" guy who can throw 70+ yards and do a backflip before throwing a strike. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Yikes.  I was trying to remember who the alternative choice could have been that year but didn't remember it was Fitzgerald.  That has to be the all-time product of a system blunder.  Fitzgerald was dominating while Rod Rutherford threw up the worst wounded ducks you'll ever see from a QB.  Jason White threw WR screens to Mark Clayton that nobody would stop because OU was the first major program running the shotgun spread air raid.  

Digging a little deeper (at least to the extent looking at Wikipedia can be portrayed as that), White appears to be the ONLY Heisman winner who wanted to play pro football but just wasn't good enough.

"Despite his strong college career, White was not selected in the 2005 NFL Draft and did not receive a tryout from any NFL team in the first several weeks of post-draft free agency. White became the only Heisman Trophy winner to be unsuccessful in an attempt to play professional football and just the third Heisman Trophy winner not to be drafted in the NFL after Pete Dawkins instead chose a military career and Charlie Ward chose a career in the NBA."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_White_(American_football)#Professional_career

And don’t forget about the jeans. Wouldn’t be on my draft board for decision making

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yikes.  I was trying to remember who the alternative choice could have been that year but didn't remember it was Fitzgerald.  That has to be the all-time product of a system blunder in Heisman voting.  Fitzgerald was dominating while Rod Rutherford threw up the worst wounded ducks you'll ever see from a QB.  Meanwhile, Jason White threw WR screens to Mark Clayton that nobody would stop because OU was the first major program running the shotgun spread air raid.  

Digging a little deeper (at least to the extent looking at Wikipedia can be portrayed as that), White appears to be the ONLY Heisman winner who wanted to play pro football but just wasn't good enough.

"Despite his strong college career, White was not selected in the 2005 NFL Draft and did not receive a tryout from any NFL team in the first several weeks of post-draft free agency. White became the only Heisman Trophy winner to be unsuccessful in an attempt to play professional football and just the third Heisman Trophy winner not to be drafted in the NFL after Pete Dawkins instead chose a military career and Charlie Ward chose a career in the NBA."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_White_(American_football)#Professional_career

I thought the the Big XII CCG against K-State where they blew ou out 35-7 would've helped Fitzgerald that year.

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I seem to recall Jason White blew out both knees and failed the pre-draft physical.  Not to excuse his undeserving win, but him sucking might not be the only reason he didn’t play pro. 

Maybe he should stop sucking dick then. Imagine failing a pre draft physical because you couldn’t get off your knees 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The 2003 OU team was a buzzsaw for most of the season, but I'm probably going to go with Jason White.  First, fuck OU.  Second, he really might objectively be the least talented Heisman winner.  He wasn't drafted.  He spent no time in the NFL.  Even Torretta was a 7th round pick and hung around the league for 5 years or so. 

Jason White won a Heisman without even being an NFL prospect.  If you remove the team and the system around him - a way ahead of its time QB-friendly system, btw - what was he really?

White wasn't even the best QB in the Big 12. BJ Symons blew him away playing on a torn ACL for half the season and with much less talent to work with.

18 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I seem to recall Jason White blew out both knees and failed the pre-draft physical.  Not to excuse his undeserving win, but him sucking might not be the only reason he didn’t play pro. 

Most people in Oklahoma suck dick for meth. It’s their birthright. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

No question Ewers is uber talented and will be a great player, but fuck him if he doesn't want to come to UT. For a guy whose family is a bunch of diehard Longhorns, copy ehlinger with the baby pic in UT gear, and his "loyal to the soil" comments early on, he sure didn't bother wasting time committing to fosu. I had no problem with him decommitting from Herman, but for him to not even bother giving Sark and the new staff a hard look to go to fucking Columbus reeks of Beta energy.

With that being said, I'd love for him to jump back in if he decides to, but I'm not losing sleep over a guy who doesn't want to be here. I've shit on Sam in the past for his (lack of) athletic ability and not being as ppl preach him to be, but the dude was an Alpha here. He wanted to be the guy to bring UT back to prominence; he truly is burnt orange-blooded. Ewers doesn't give off that energy at all to me which sucks given his talent and ability.

If Murphy wants in, you fucking take him and another QB. Dude will have time to develop here before playing, and he looks like a beast. Ok, rant over.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

- Paul Hornung sucks, but he played in an era where [insert ND's best player] was the default Heisman winner every year unless someone did something super exceptional. He was still terrible though. Huarte winning the Heisman years later over Dick Butkus was just as bad if not worse.

- Andre White roasted us so this take is sour grapes-tinged, but he totally flamed out with the Lions and his CFL career was a disaster as well. When David Klingler stepped up and surpassed his numbers the very next year, people realized he was nothing more than a system QB in the Run-and-Shoot.

- Mark Ingram was benched in the Iron Bowl after a horrible first-half performance, and his replacement, Trent Richardson, played better than him. That should immediately disqualify someone from winning the Heisman. Alabama was playing terribly, then Richardson came in, scored a TD and jump-started the offense. Ingram didn't see the field again until the fourth quarter IIRC. How the hell do you give the Heisman to someone after that?

- Gino Torretta was media bullshit. Lee Corso publicly bragged that he was leaving Marshall Faulk off his ballot entirely so Gino would win. It was such blatant BS.

- Troy Smith had the benefit of a very weak field. But people hate on him too hard for the national title game blowup. He was Jameis Winston before Winston, playing in a much more conservative Tressel-style 'three yards and a cloud of dust' offense. Tough to hold that against him.

- Griffin winning twice was just stupid. Four touchdowns on the year? You're not a complete back. McCaffrey got the same criticism with 15 TDs, and lost the award to Henry because of it. Also he played in Woody's offense and Woody just fed him the ball constantly because he was allergic to passing.

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

- Paul Hornung sucks, but he played in an era where [insert ND's best player] was the default Heisman winner every year unless someone did something super exceptional. He was still terrible though. Huarte winning the Heisman years later over Dick Butkus was just as bad if not worse.

- Andre White roasted us so this take is sour grapes-tinged, but he totally flamed out with the Lions and his CFL career was a disaster as well. When David Klingler stepped up and surpassed his numbers the very next year, people realized he was nothing more than a system QB in the Run-and-Shoot.

- Mark Ingram was benched in the Iron Bowl after a horrible first-half performance, and his replacement, Trent Richardson, played better than him. That should immediately disqualify someone from winning the Heisman. Alabama was playing terribly, then Richardson came in, scored a TD and jump-started the offense. Ingram didn't see the field again until the fourth quarter IIRC. How the hell do you give the Heisman to someone after that?

- Gino Torretta was media bullshit. Lee Corso publicly bragged that he was leaving Marshall Faulk off his ballot entirely so Gino would win. It was such blatant BS.

- Troy Smith had the benefit of a very weak field. But people hate on him too hard for the national title game blowup. He was Jameis Winston before Winston, playing in a much more conservative Tressel-style 'three yards and a cloud of dust' offense. Tough to hold that against him.

- Griffin winning twice was just stupid. Four touchdowns on the year? You're not a complete back. McCaffrey got the same criticism with 15 TDs, and lost the award to Henry because of it. Also he played in Woody's offense and Woody just fed him the ball constantly because he was allergic to passing.

Andre Ware 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Andre Ware 

My favourite Ware story is when John David Crow and Earl Campbell worked together to convince Ware to enter the NFL Draft after his junior year. The Houston AD Rudy Davalos was furious, and wrote some pompous-ass open letter saying Houston did not "need anyone from our sister institutions telling us how to run our program." Of course, Ware was already out the door 😁

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kanly said:

Ran a 4.68 two years ago at the opening. Do not want.

So play him at safety.  

3 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I get it, but scared money don’t make money. We can debate the riskiness of taking a player with so few live reps but Sark better not take a player he evaluates as worse to appease Texas High school coaches or because he needs help with recruiting. He has a staff of well paid coaches to recruit, he doesn’t need Westlake’s qb to do it for them. Surely they can sell a 5 star qb from CA with a cannon for an arm to OL and skill players around TX.

Also, it took Jimbo what, 3 classes to take a Texas high school qb? And that was basically because he was the last option available. 

They all attend the same camps and will play in some of the same bowls--vacuum days are long past.  Receivers mostly know who's out there.  

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Didn't say we would for sure but that it would be easier. Especially if he fails to put up any other meaningful tape. 

Biggest hurdle to this is the lack of a backup position for Murphy like both Card and Jackson had. 

Jackson as a backup position didn't work out and Card is still competing at qb.  Once players are set on a position, it's not if but where?  Think Card would go the Shane route if things didn't work out at Texas.  

Edited by Mdhorn

3 hours ago, Laga4 said:

That would be a hell of a QB class.

I think Hoover is going to shoot up in the rankings this year. 

Hoover is a stud. Have been able to watch him for the past two years in games and practice. Has good arm strength and accuracy as well as good decision making. Getting him and Murphy would be a hell of a Qb class. 

30 minutes ago, TenCarryTom said:

Hoover is a stud. Have been able to watch him for the past two years in games and practice. Has good arm strength and accuracy as well as good decision making. Getting him and Murphy would be a hell of a Qb class. 

I've read that Hoover is trending to Arkansas. Regardless, I think he's going to blow up and won't end up being QB2 in any given class.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

I've read that Hoover is trending to Arkansas. Regardless, I think he's going to blow up and won't end up being QB2 in any given class.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes there. It’s his best offer at the moment. I think a lot of players at heath are going to blow up. They have 4 star Zach Evans at rb, Hoover at QB and 4 star receiver Jay Fair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

That's right,  probably won't be a QB2.

I know a guy that coached against him last year and he was really impressed with him. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting