Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - All Gas No Brakes

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work closely with a certain previously committed 5 star QB's father (hint: its Quinn Ewers, for those who haven't been following recruiting closely like I have) and chatted with him a bit this after

I find all of the angst about Murphy to be laughable. After Ewers, he's the guy I've been cheering for Texas to land for 3 weeks. Texas has a healthy QB room right now and that isn't going to change.

Posted Images

Greg Biggins, on Maalikmas.

Spoiler

Texas picks up commitment from QB Maalik Murphy
GREG BIGGINS

Gardena (Calif.) Serra quarterback Maalik Murphy committed to Texas moments ago and talked about why he’s a Longhorn.

Murphy is currently rated the No. 30 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite as well as the No. 2 pro-style quarterback. Despite a strong group of in-state signal callers in Texas, Murphy was the guy new UT head coach Steve Sarkisian zeroed in and he got his man.

“Texas was the only school on my list that I couldn’t find a single negative about,” Murphy said. “Football is the biggest thing going in Texas. It’s more then just a sport, it’s a staple of life and everyone is so passionate about it there.

“Austin is a great city and when you’re the quarterback there, you have a chance to be the face of the program. I’ve never been to Texas but my mom and my dad have, I have cousins out there and I’ve talked to a lot of other people who said I would fit in really well. This is an incredible opportunity for me to play at such a storied program for a great head coach and I couldn’t pass it up.”

New head coach Steve Sarksian was a huge reason why Murphy chose Texas.

“I think he’s the perfect coach to prepare me for the next level,” Murphy said. “He’s a Cali guy and someone I’m really comfortable with. I look at what he’s done in the past and how he develops quarterbacks and I think he can help me reach my goals, which are to play in the NFL. I love his offense and think I fit in really well with what he wants to do scheme wise.

"I can be a threat with my arm and legs, moving around, throwing the ball down field but also getting the running backs involved and being balanced. Watching him at Alabama and the way he used all those weapons, I can’t wait to be a part of something like that.”

Murphy said another big reason for choosing Texas was the chance to compete for a National Championship.

“I think Texas has everything in place to make a run,” Murphy said. “They can recruit nationally and I’m already seeing that with some of the guys I’ve been talking with. There’s a ton of talent right there in Texas but they can go out and recruit players from all over the country and that’s really exciting for me.

“Offensively, I know we’re going to be great and I like the new defensive coaches that are there now too. Like I said, it was the one school that I couldn’t find a negative or weakness about. At some schools, I questioned if they can win on a national level, other schools, I didn’t know if I would fit in as well or be comfortable with the weather. Texas is just like California in a lot of ways so the comfort level is strong and then I know we can win big too.”

Murphy had always planned to take some visits before making a decision but decided he was ready. He didn’t just commit on his birthday, he committed at 1:37 PM, the exact time he was born.

“Yeh, I thought that would be fun to do,” Murphy said. “It wasn’t an easy decision and I had some other great schools I really liked a lot. UCLA was my No. 2 and I’m always going to have love for them. That’s home for me, my mom works there and I like them a lot but I just felt like Texas was the best all around fit.

“I didn’t see the need to hold off making a decision when I knew Texas was the right move. I’ll be there on Monday to take a visit and I’m looking forward to walking around the campus and city and just seeing everything that the school has to offer. I'm already recruiting hard for Texas and I think we're going to have a really special recruiting class, it's going to be a lot of fun."

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Greg Biggins, on Maalikmas.

Reveal hidden contents

Texas picks up commitment from QB Maalik Murphy
GREG BIGGINS

Gardena (Calif.) Serra quarterback Maalik Murphy committed to Texas moments ago and talked about why he’s a Longhorn.

Murphy is currently rated the No. 30 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite as well as the No. 2 pro-style quarterback. Despite a strong group of in-state signal callers in Texas, Murphy was the guy new UT head coach Steve Sarkisian zeroed in and he got his man.

“Texas was the only school on my list that I couldn’t find a single negative about,” Murphy said. “Football is the biggest thing going in Texas. It’s more then just a sport, it’s a staple of life and everyone is so passionate about it there.

“Austin is a great city and when you’re the quarterback there, you have a chance to be the face of the program. I’ve never been to Texas but my mom and my dad have, I have cousins out there and I’ve talked to a lot of other people who said I would fit in really well. This is an incredible opportunity for me to play at such a storied program for a great head coach and I couldn’t pass it up.”

New head coach Steve Sarksian was a huge reason why Murphy chose Texas.

“I think he’s the perfect coach to prepare me for the next level,” Murphy said. “He’s a Cali guy and someone I’m really comfortable with. I look at what he’s done in the past and how he develops quarterbacks and I think he can help me reach my goals, which are to play in the NFL. I love his offense and think I fit in really well with what he wants to do scheme wise.

"I can be a threat with my arm and legs, moving around, throwing the ball down field but also getting the running backs involved and being balanced. Watching him at Alabama and the way he used all those weapons, I can’t wait to be a part of something like that.”

Murphy said another big reason for choosing Texas was the chance to compete for a National Championship.

“I think Texas has everything in place to make a run,” Murphy said. “They can recruit nationally and I’m already seeing that with some of the guys I’ve been talking with. There’s a ton of talent right there in Texas but they can go out and recruit players from all over the country and that’s really exciting for me.

“Offensively, I know we’re going to be great and I like the new defensive coaches that are there now too. Like I said, it was the one school that I couldn’t find a negative or weakness about. At some schools, I questioned if they can win on a national level, other schools, I didn’t know if I would fit in as well or be comfortable with the weather. Texas is just like California in a lot of ways so the comfort level is strong and then I know we can win big too.”

Murphy had always planned to take some visits before making a decision but decided he was ready. He didn’t just commit on his birthday, he committed at 1:37 PM, the exact time he was born.

“Yeh, I thought that would be fun to do,” Murphy said. “It wasn’t an easy decision and I had some other great schools I really liked a lot. UCLA was my No. 2 and I’m always going to have love for them. That’s home for me, my mom works there and I like them a lot but I just felt like Texas was the best all around fit.

“I didn’t see the need to hold off making a decision when I knew Texas was the right move. I’ll be there on Monday to take a visit and I’m looking forward to walking around the campus and city and just seeing everything that the school has to offer. I'm already recruiting hard for Texas and I think we're going to have a really special recruiting class, it's going to be a lot of fun."

Might want to hold off on that Monday visit there champ.

• Haha 1