Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Per Roach, this is our new Director of Player Personnel target: https://gopack.com/staff-directory/billy-glasscock/545

“Glasscock holds a bachelor’s degree from the United States Sports Academy.”

WTF is the United States Sports Academy? That sounds like a name they’d use for a fake college in a movie. 

According to Wikipedia, they have a 14% graduation rate and their most notable alumnus is Mike Leach. I also just learned that Leach went to BYU for undergrad when Lavell Edwards was the coach and Norm Chow was the OC, which means his first exposure to innovative passing offenses was the same as Sark. Lavell Edwards’ coaching tree is actually one of the most impressive and underrated in all of football. 

source.gif 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

My high-school principal was Mr. Glasscock..... but his last name was Smith. 

South Austin's mom has a .... Ahhh, nevermind.

I'm interested to see what our WR board looks like. I assume that the positions will be filled very fast.

SIAP.

Greg Biggins (247 Sports) with a more detailed look at Maalik Murphy.

Spoiler

Commit Analysis: Close Look at Texas Commit Maalik Murphy

Greg Biggins

247Sports takes a look at what Texas is getting with their new QB commit, Gardena (Calif.) Serra signal caller Maalik Murphy…

Profile: Maalik Murphy

Position: Quarterback

Height: 6-5

Weight: 225 pounds

Recruiting: Murphy looked like a solid UCLA lean but things changed quick when Steve Sarkisian took over at Texas. The Horns has been involved with Murphy on and off over the last year but looked out of the running when Quinn Ewers committed to Texas. A week after Ewers de-committed, Texas jumped back in play with Murphy and then really went in once Sarkisian took over. Despite a deep and talented year for in-state quarterbacks in the Lone Star State, Murphy was the one Sarkisian prioritized and he went all in. A few other schools like Oregon, Rutgers and LSU were involved as well but Murphy decided to make a birthday commitment and chose the Horns earlier today.

What to Like: Murphy has all the physical tools you could want in a next level quarterback. He’s a big strong kid who can move around but is most comfortable siting in the pocket. He has arguably the biggest arm in the ’22 class and makes it look effortless. He doesn’t need a big windup to get the ball down the field and has worked hard on tightening his release and getting the ball out quicker over the last year. He’s a smart kid who understands when to take something off and change speeds when he needs to. He doesn’t try and over throw but is more about completing passes and has also improved in his ability to throw on-time with anticipation. He’s mobile enough to buy time in the pocket and will take off and run when necessary although we wouldn’t call him a dual-threat quarterback, more someone who can run when he needs to. He’s a natural leader, someone who has always been a great teammate and a future captain. He’s already hitting the recruiting trail and will be an active recruiter and should have a lot of influence both nationally and in California. He needs game reps for sure and not having a season this year in California hurt his development but if he maximizes his potential and hits his ceiling, there is no doubt he’s a high round NFL Draft pick someday.

Areas to improve: As mentioned, the biggest thing he needs is game reps. Murphy split time as a sophomore and then suffered a late shoulder injury. His junior year was set to be his breakout season but football was shut down in the fall in California. Murphy has yet to really show what he can do with the pads on so there’s always a slight risk there. When you look at the talent in the state of Texas this year at the quarterback position, there will definitely be some second guessing of Sarkisian if Murphy isn’t a home run. I think it’s a risk worth taking, he’s a very talented kid, a high character person with a great off the field work ethic and his upside is hard to pass on.

Overall Analysis: This one will be a lot of fun to watch over the coming years. Sarkisian chose Murphy, a player from out of state with limited game reps over some of the talented in-state signal callers. The hope is Murphy reaches his huge ceiling and if he does, he's a 1st day NFL Draft pick, he has that kind of upside. He's a pure thrower who makes it looks easy. We want to see him in game action with a defense coming after him. The great quarterbacks are the ones who can make the game slow down, go through progressions and make quick decisions and that only happens with live bullets coming at you. There's a small chance there could be a five-game season in California in March this year but if not, Murphy's senior year will need to be a big one for him where he can hopefully take some strides and become comfortable at the position. He won't need to play right away and a red-shirt year will be a good thing for him and allow him more time to learn and get up to speed. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

SIAP.

Greg Biggins (247 Sports) with a more detailed look at Maalik Murphy.

Hide contents

Commit Analysis: Close Look at Texas Commit Maalik Murphy

Greg Biggins

247Sports takes a look at what Texas is getting with their new QB commit, Gardena (Calif.) Serra signal caller Maalik Murphy…

Profile: Maalik Murphy

Position: Quarterback

Height: 6-5

Weight: 225 pounds

Recruiting: Murphy looked like a solid UCLA lean but things changed quick when Steve Sarkisian took over at Texas. The Horns has been involved with Murphy on and off over the last year but looked out of the running when Quinn Ewers committed to Texas. A week after Ewers de-committed, Texas jumped back in play with Murphy and then really went in once Sarkisian took over. Despite a deep and talented year for in-state quarterbacks in the Lone Star State, Murphy was the one Sarkisian prioritized and he went all in. A few other schools like Oregon, Rutgers and LSU were involved as well but Murphy decided to make a birthday commitment and chose the Horns earlier today.

What to Like: Murphy has all the physical tools you could want in a next level quarterback. He’s a big strong kid who can move around but is most comfortable siting in the pocket. He has arguably the biggest arm in the ’22 class and makes it look effortless. He doesn’t need a big windup to get the ball down the field and has worked hard on tightening his release and getting the ball out quicker over the last year. He’s a smart kid who understands when to take something off and change speeds when he needs to. He doesn’t try and over throw but is more about completing passes and has also improved in his ability to throw on-time with anticipation. He’s mobile enough to buy time in the pocket and will take off and run when necessary although we wouldn’t call him a dual-threat quarterback, more someone who can run when he needs to. He’s a natural leader, someone who has always been a great teammate and a future captain. He’s already hitting the recruiting trail and will be an active recruiter and should have a lot of influence both nationally and in California. He needs game reps for sure and not having a season this year in California hurt his development but if he maximizes his potential and hits his ceiling, there is no doubt he’s a high round NFL Draft pick someday.

Areas to improve: As mentioned, the biggest thing he needs is game reps. Murphy split time as a sophomore and then suffered a late shoulder injury. His junior year was set to be his breakout season but football was shut down in the fall in California. Murphy has yet to really show what he can do with the pads on so there’s always a slight risk there. When you look at the talent in the state of Texas this year at the quarterback position, there will definitely be some second guessing of Sarkisian if Murphy isn’t a home run. I think it’s a risk worth taking, he’s a very talented kid, a high character person with a great off the field work ethic and his upside is hard to pass on.

Overall Analysis: This one will be a lot of fun to watch over the coming years. Sarkisian chose Murphy, a player from out of state with limited game reps over some of the talented in-state signal callers. The hope is Murphy reaches his huge ceiling and if he does, he's a 1st day NFL Draft pick, he has that kind of upside. He's a pure thrower who makes it looks easy. We want to see him in game action with a defense coming after him. The great quarterbacks are the ones who can make the game slow down, go through progressions and make quick decisions and that only happens with live bullets coming at you. There's a small chance there could be a five-game season in California in March this year but if not, Murphy's senior year will need to be a big one for him where he can hopefully take some strides and become comfortable at the position. He won't need to play right away and a red-shirt year will be a good thing for him and allow him more time to learn and get up to speed. 

That's what I liked about him--quick release without a lot of wasted motion.  Yeah, it's what my mom said--jokes write themselves.  But he gets the ball out quick which kind of nullifies the pass rush and helps the oline.  Throw some quick receivers in there and he can look like a champ.  At worst, he's better than Mond who was a project and Maalik will get better coaching.  He isn't going to run for the first down but will extend the play with his feet, always looking to throw.  Stepping into throws should increase velocity and help throw guys open, anticipating where they'll be to hit them in stride.  And quick receivers could erase errant passes as long as the ball leads them.  What's not to like--everything is there.  Just needs more live game reps against solid competition.    

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

image.png

This is more of a commentary on how these guys are written about overall by the 9.95ers, but it's remarkable how literally like 80% of the people at these positions are the best in the country. I'm sure a lot of them are sources for 9.95ers but I have literally never seen anything written about a Director of Player Personnel where the consensus is that they're even mediocre at their job.

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

That's what I liked about him--quick release without a lot of wasted motion.  Yeah, it's what my mom said--jokes write themselves.  But he gets the ball out quick which kind of nullifies the pass rush and helps the oline.  Throw some quick receivers in there and he can look like a champ.  At worst, he's better than Mond who was a project and Maalik will get better coaching.  He isn't going to run for the first down but will extend the play with his feet, always looking to throw.  Stepping into throws should increase velocity and help throw guys open, anticipating where they'll be to hit them in stride.  And quick receivers could erase errant passes as long as the ball leads them.  What's not to like--everything is there.  Just needs more live game reps against solid competition.    

I actually thought his release was kinda slow, like he had a bit of a wind up to it. Seems like it could be more compact but what do I know? But there's no doubt he has a cannon. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mike Roach: Sarkisian and staff heating up after commitment of Maalik Murphy

It took just over a month, but Steve Sarkisian netted his first five-star prospect at Texas. The commitment of Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra quarterback Maalik Murphy is a huge commitment for a number of reasons. Murphy is the second five-star passer to commit to the Longhorns in the last year after Quinn Ewers committed last summer before decommitting in the fall.

New coaches usually receive the benefit of the doubt and a first year bump, but Sarkisian and his staff are starting to build some real momentum in 2022. They inherited four-star cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau, but in just a little over a month in Austin, Texas landed commitments from four-star wide receiver Armani Winfield and four-star running back Jaydon Blue before reeling in Murphy. In comparison, it took Tom Herman until June of his first full cycle to land a five-star when BJ Foster made his decision.

Charlie Strong didn’t score a five-star prospect until December of his first cycle when he topped the in-state rival Aggies for Malik Jefferson. Even more impressive, Sarkisian is finding success with major limitations on recruiting. The COVID-19 dead period will be in place more than a year before it can be lifted and the staff cannot host on campus visits. Sarkisian came to Texas with a reputation as a great recruiter with significant prowess on the west coast, and it didn’t take long for him to get a major win in California.

The commitment of Murphy gives Texas a big gun to work with when selling skill position players on the future of the program. It will also help to open some pathways out west where Texas has a few big targets. Murphy is close with players like Texas wide receiver target CJ Williams, and his presence in the recruiting class gives the Longhorns a more realistic shot at the elite Mater Dei receiver. There’s still a long road in front of Sarkisian and his staff before he can sign his first full class, but the early indications are showing what this staff can do on the recruiting trail.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I actually thought his release was kinda slow, like he had a bit of a wind up to it. Seems like it could be more compact but what do I know? But there's no doubt he has a cannon. 

It's weird to sift through sophomore footage mostly but the rest is camp and although good to see, there's not much pressure.  Pretty much shows a variety and even shows a stiff arm on a run.

6 hours ago, Teryor said:

This is more of a commentary on how these guys are written about overall by the 9.95ers, but it's remarkable how literally like 80% of the people at these positions are the best in the country. I'm sure a lot of them are sources for 9.95ers but I have literally never seen anything written about a Director of Player Personnel where the consensus is that they're even mediocre at their job.

That's not true, the predecessor is usually a step down - crazy how good all school are at hiring these guys

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

Will Glasscock be involved in the on campus recruiting or is he mainly in charge of the board and organizing activities 

Well I believe the searels chick will spearhead activities and campus visits. I’m assuming he’ll have his hand in all of it, but probably the Derek Chang role and running the whole department. But that’s just a wild ass guess. 

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

“Glasscock holds a bachelor’s degree from the United States Sports Academy.”

WTF is the United States Sports Academy? That sounds like a name they’d use for a fake college in a movie. 

According to Wikipedia, they have a 14% graduation rate and their most notable alumnus is Mike Leach. I also just learned that Leach went to BYU for undergrad when Lavell Edwards was the coach and Norm Chow was the OC, which means his first exposure to innovative passing offenses was the same as Sark. Lavell Edwards’ coaching tree is actually one of the most impressive and underrated in all of football. 

source.gif 

Had same thought about USSA.  I will say their campus statue game is A+ though.

image.thumb.png.055bb42ebcae51826d986c349301a92a.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

His release is fairly slow right now and his arm motion is inconsistent. He also needs to work on his footwork. He’s a little heavy-footed and let’s his feet get crossed up too much. Based on the limited video footage since his sophomore year, it does look like he’s been making strides in those areas, but he still has work to do on that front and even then, you don’t know if mechanics have actually been fixed until he can do it consistently in games while under pressure. 

I’m liking what I’m hearing about his leadership and work ethic. Those were the biggest questions for me. He’s extremely talented, but he needs to be a guy who works relentlessly on his mechanics if he’s going to be a good take here, and it sounds like that’s the case so far.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Getting to watch our 5 star QB play a season in the spring will be an exciting change to the Kool-aid filled spring practice reports. Let's hope Cali doesn't chicken out 

Yeah about that....

I have a couple friends who are CA HS football coaches, and they aren’t very optimistic about getting to play. 

• Rage+1 5

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah about that....

I have a couple friends who are CA HS football coaches, and they aren’t very optimistic about getting to play. 

I know it’s Cali, but that’s wild. By current projections, the vaccine should be widely available to the public by the summer so how could they be so pessimistic about playing football in seven months?

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I know it’s Cali, but that’s wild. By current projections, the vaccine should be widely available to the public by the summer so how could they be so pessimistic about playing football in seven months?

They're talking about playing this school year's season in the spring.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Probably talking about last year's season that got pushed to this spring.  Believe they were going to try to play a shortened season of about 5 games starting in March or so.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting