Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, the issue is that you're making very stupid posts that aren't based in reality. And then you compound it by making more stupid posts trying to dig out of the hole.

Your latest example was saying that Iowa State did not play better against us than they normally do. This about a program which is now well-known for playing up against big opponents and then having letdowns against inferior opponents. (Barely beat shitass TCU and Baylor, beat us and Oklahoma and Oregon, etc.)

Did you watch the Iowa state game? They won despite playing terrible. They tried to give us the game and we just wouldn't take it. Here is my stupid take, Anyway,  I am done with this shit. Back to circlejerkkng.

• Fuck You 4

41 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Cross-posting here because it's relevant to points made about Sark's QB coaching and his recruiting preferences at the position.

(Scipio Tex) Sark's QB History

Reveal hidden contents

I covered Sark's history with RB bell cows and what it means for Bijan.

What about QBs?

Steve Sarkisian has a well-deserved reputation as a QB guru and he has coached a variety of throwers to success at the college level. He's also managed to inflate several NFL draft values along the way, generally by featuring the very best attributes of his signal callers and minimizing their weaknesses.

Let's go school by school, focusing on college jobs where he was either the QB coach or offensive coordinator.

USC 2001-2003

Carson Palmer - 1st pick, 1st round
Matt Leinart - 10th pick, 1st round

Sarkisian's debut as Carson Palmer's QB coach coincided with Palmer blowing up, transforming from an elite prospect whose on field performance never matched the hype to a Heisman winning senior campaign. Palmer finished his senior season with 3942 passing yards and a 33/10 TD-INT ratio. A QB once perceived as a college bust (he had as many interceptions as touchdowns in his prior three years at USC - 39/39) became the #1 pick in the NFL draft. Palmer was the classic drop back pro style QB: huge arm, accurate with a clean pocket, not a runner, 6-5, 235. Sarkisian helped build out a big boy NFL style passing attack around that arm and turned Carson's senior year into a draft infomercial.

In 2003, Palmer's successor, a relative unknown named Matt Leinart outperformed Palmer with a 38/9 TD to INT ratio, 3556 yards passing, and an amazing 9.7 yards per attempt. Leinart didn't have Palmer's arm strength and shared his immobility, but he was accurate, understood how to get the ball out quickly, and he thrived in Sarkisian's play action heavy pro style offense.

USC 2005-2006

Matt Leinart 10th pick, 1st round
JD Booty 5th round

Sarkisian returned to the Trojans as QB coach after a Raider diversion and helped lead Matt Leinart to a terrific senior season. But we all know how that season ended!

Leinart would be the 10th pick in the 2006 draft and eventually a NFL bust. However, he was indisputably a great college QB.

In 2006, USC started former high school 5 star prodigy John David Booty and he was acceptable in his first season as a starter, throwing for 3347 yards and a 29/9 TD to INT ratio. No one confused Booty with Palmer or Leinart - he labored to make timely reads and his alleged arm talent was often AWOL - but it was naturally assumed that his senior campaign would show improvement and the Trojan juggernaut would roll on.

USC 2007-2008

JD Booty 5th round
Mark Sanchez 5th pick, 1st round

It didn't get better. Sarkisian's first year as the USC OC coincided with several high profile offensive recruiting busts and JD Booty crashing to the ground, no longer buoyed by the talent that drove USC's run from 2002-2006. Booty struggled badly to get the ball down the field, demonstrated a penchant for untimely picks, and Trojan fans clamored for a guy named Mark Sanchez. Sarkisian was heavily criticized by Trojan fans for the drop in offensive production. Norm Chow would have somehow made it work!

We know now that Booty the prospect was largely a creation of early spread adoption at Shreveport Evangel and he lacked passing game awareness. But at the time, his deficits were blamed squarely on Sark.

Somehow JD Booty was drafted in the 5th round, despite no particular strengths as a QB.

Sarkisian silenced the critics in his second year as OC, as one year starter Mark Sanchez threw for 3207 yards, a 32-10 TD to INT ratio, and a healthy 8.8 yards per attempt. Sanchez looked the part of a star QB and he threw a beautiful ball off of play action, but much of his success came from Sarkisian putting him in excellent spots and creating easy progressions and reads. Sanchez owes Sarkisian a lot of money for featuring his best attributes and Jets fans probably curse Sark to this day for making a moth look like a butterfly.

Sanchez was the 5th overall pick in the NFL draft and despite a heady start (Sanchez is just a winner narratives abounded!) elevated by the dominant Jets defense, he crashed and burned into a butt fumbling bust.

Washington 2009-2013

Jake Locker 8th pick, 1st round
Keith Price UDFA

At Washington, Sarkisian coached Jake Locker, the ultimate projection traits guy who lacked every possible on-field skill needed to succeed at QB. The charismatic 6-3, 230 pound (4.59 40, tough, home state hero) Locker had the throwing feel of a Highland Games athlete, but damn did he look good in a uniform. Sarkisian struggled to showcase the slow-reading, inaccurate Locker, but he also can can shoulder some blame for making his offense needlessly complex for a QB who badly needed Offense 101 and a chance to better feature his legs and physicality.

Sark struggled through two years of Locker who, amazingly, was drafted 8th by the Tennessee Titans who compared him to "a bigger, stronger, right handed Steve Young." If you needed proof that nearly anyone can become a NFL GM...

Locker was replaced by his opposite: a coordinated, weak-armed, slow QB named Keith Price. Sark could work with a guy with some feel, even one with major physical limitations. Price would start for Sark for three years and proved to be a massive upgrade over Locker despite few redeeming physical attributes. Two of those years were quite good in terms of QB production, but Sarkisian's offense could be highly inconsistent. Particularly when defenses tested Price's physical deficiencies or the unit struggled to be on the same page with Sark's required route adjustments.

Price had zero future in the NFL, but the fact that Sark extracted much more value from him than the heralded Locker is worth noting.

USC 2014-2015

Cody Kessler 3rd round

Sarkisian returned to USC and inherited the closest analogue to what Sark was as a player at BYU in the form of the undersized, smart, slow Cody Kessler. Kessler was accurate and a competitor and that's generally enough for Sark.

Kessler rewarded his mentor with a huge year: 39/5 TD/INT and 9.7 yards per attempt. Eventually, he was drafted in the 3rd round by Cleveland. About three rounds too high.

Once again, Sarkisian proved that when he can mind meld with a QB who can execute what he wants and has the necessary surrounding offensive tools (Nelson Agholor and a young Juju Smith Schuster were featured), good stuff is going to happen.

Alabama 2019-2020

Tua Tagovailoa 5th pick, 1st round
Mac Jones (likely 1st rounder)

After public burn out and a two year cup of coffee with Atlanta, Sarkisian found himself at Alabama.

Little needs to be written about what he did with Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones, but in 2019 the two combined for 47 TDs and only 6 INTs as Alabama averaged 11 yards per pass attempt. Tua was already accomplished and heralded, but Sark allowed him to feature some NFL route concepts that secured him as the #5 pick in the draft despite significant injury concerns. Tua's history is not yet written, but early indications suggest that he's not yet figured out NFL open vs. Alabama open.

In 2020, the cerebral Mac Jones - effectively a Matt Leinart clone - shattered Tide records with 4500 yards passing, a 41-4 TD to INT ratio, and an incredible 11.2 yards per attempt. Jones got everything Sark was trying to do and arguably no Sarkisian QB has exhibited a better grasp of Sark's offense than Jones. A pure distributor, Jones evidenced good pocket feel, but very little athleticism and his arm is only adequate.

Sarkisian also effectively integrated the best of NFL and college passing game concepts, allowing Bama to feature their talent and steamroll a succession of quality defenses. Sark the OC had caught up to Sark the QB Whisperer.

Conclusions

There are a few things that can be reasonably surmised:

1. Sark can succeed with a variety of QBs and physical types, but prefers the QB to be pass first.

2. Sark has little patience or success with QBs who lack feel or timing. See: Booty, Locker.

3. Sark wants the QB to distribute to creators.

4. Sark the QB coach has always been damn good.

5. Sark the OC was still improving and growing into his 40s.

6. He has covered up a lot of warts on some pretty mediocre NFL prospects and made them a boat load of money.

7. He has also maximized several college guys with little NFL future. All they need is competitiveness, accuracy, feel, and some heart.

Picking a clear frontrunner in the 2021 QB race between Card and Thompson purely on traits or pedigree isn't Sark's mindset. He'll pick the guy that most opens up the offense for others with their feel, accuracy, and decision making.

Interesting that the conclusion here basically sounds like the opposite of Maalik. Basically saying physical traits don't matter nearly as much as feel / accuracy. Maalik has all the physical stuff but his feel and accuracy are the question marks

Also, someone do Ryan Day now. I think his list is...Dwayne Haskins? lol what a qb whisperer

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Also, someone do Ryan Day now. I think his list is...Dwayne Haskins? lol what a qb whisperer

I don't think you're making the point you think you are making with Haskins. He put up monstrous numbers and was a top 15 draft pick. 

Haskins 2018 season for tOSU ::

4831 yards. 50 TD 8 INT - 70% completions and 4 rushing TDs. 

IDGAF what happens in the NFL or how Haskins has done there, I would gladly take that stat line from my QB any season. Do you think current recruits think that Day isn't developing QBs? Because the Buckeyes hadn't had a QB drafted in the 1st round since Art Schlichter in 1982. Fields is about to be taken off the board early as well.  Meyer didn't have any and Day is about to sport his second in a row. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Did you watch the Iowa state game? They won despite playing terrible. They tried to give us the game and we just wouldn't take it. Here is my stupid take, Anyway,  I am done with this shit. Back to circlejerkkng.

Are you kidding?  Herm and his staff handed ISU both of their last wins over us.  Heck, if Herm had played Bijan more this year he may still be here.  It took a lot of effort for us to lose our three games this year.  Yeah, Keontay and the refs (TCU first half) helped a bit, but talent wasn't the issue in this conference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I don't think you're making the point you think you are making with Haskins. He put up monstrous numbers and was a top 15 draft pick. 

IDGAF what happens in the NFL or how Haskins has done there, I would gladly take that stat line from my QB any season. Do you think current recruits think that Day isn't developing QBs? Because the Buckeyes hadn't had a QB drafted in the 1st round since Art Schlichter in 1982. Fields is about to be taken off the board early as well.  Meyer didn't have any and Day is about to sport his second in a row. 

Fields has always been a five star though.  He was #2 out of college, behind Lawrence.  Where was Mac Jones rated?  Hell, Tua? 

52 minutes ago, satyanash said:

...relevant username?

No kidding, I’ll show you a loss....

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Lol, this forum has become TexAgs. Either you drink the coolaid or you get negged. Euphoria is at its peak when there is a new coaching staff and the lowest after year 3. Rinse and repeat.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Recruits sure should care what happens in the NFL. If they want college stats, go play for Mike Leach. Doesn't mean shit for their careers

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Recruits sure should care what happens in the NFL. If they want college stats, go play for Mike Leach. Doesn't mean shit for their careers

I'm confused what you are getting at, are you arguing against Sark now? The only player on that list with real sustained NFL success was Carson Palmer and that's probably the player he had the least to do with his development. That's not a knock on him anymore than Haskins washing out in the NFL is a knock on Day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick Harris on Kristopher Ross - he's pushing his decision back:

Spoiler

In talking to sources, we were able to confirm that North Shore DT Kris Ross will most likely be pushing back his decision date. He was initially set to commit on Friday after posting his top four of Texas, LSU, Oklahoma and Baylor last week, but a USC offer has made things interesting. There is no current timeline for when Ross plans to decide, but I expect him to take some time with it. This obviously doesn't bode well for Texas as they emerged as the favorite going into the week.

On why:

Early playing time and a familiarity with some guys on the coaching staff, including Carrington.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

Did you think that writing this was actually going to help your case?

And we weren't exactly a rolling ball of butcher knives during the late Akers, McWilliams, and Mackovic years, either. And STILL we were everyone's big game.

We were bad. Awful. We were happy to make a bowl back then. We didn't scare ANYBODY. Not even Rice. But beating us was still everyone's goal.

Did you think this was going to prove your point? We are talking about Rice, a small private school. Of course we were their big game. Did you read my caveat that we are big games for in-state programs? Damn, some of you have such tunnel vision. 

• Fuck You 9

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

If the college stats get you picked in the first half of the 1st rd, you're pretty well set. Maybe if Day's guys keep flaming out a Leach-esque stigma will develop, but we haven't reached that point yet

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

In talking to sources, we were able to confirm that North Shore DT Kris Ross will most likely be pushing back his decision date. He was initially set to commit on Friday after posting his top four of Texas, LSU, Oklahoma and Baylor last week, but a USC offer has made things interesting. There is no current timeline for when Ross plans to decide, but I expect him to take some time with it. This obviously doesn't bode well for Texas as they emerged as the favorite going into the week.

On why:

Are we really not able to recruit against Orlan_o scheme?????

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Playing for Leach (a la Sonny Cumbie) has nothing in common with what is happening here don't be purposefully obtuse. Playing for tOSU is not like playing for Leach FFS. What recruits see in Day is that Haskins was wildly productive in the NCAA, won a shit ton of games, and went on to be a top 15 draft pick and got fucking paid. The next QB in line was wildly productive, won a shit ton of games, and is about to be a top 10 pick and get fucking paid. Day did this after Urban Meyer could not produce NFL 1st round QBs. What exactly do you think is a differentiator here for Sark? Day is batting 1.000 and you can try to argue around it 300 different ways but it remains true. 

To clarify, I didn't say the recruits don't care about the NFL, I said IDGAF. I don't. Fuck the NFL. I care about the Texas Longhorns. I give not a single fuck about the NFL other than it's effect on recruiting and to that end it really only matters where they get drafted. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Playing for Leach (a la Sonny Cumbie) has nothing in common with what is happening here don't be purposefully obtuse. Playing for tOSU is not like playing for Leach FFS. What recruits see in Day is that Haskins was wildly productive in the NCAA, won a shit ton of games, and went on to be a top 15 draft pick and got fucking paid. The next QB in line was wildly productive, won a shit ton of games, and is about to be a top 10 pick and get fucking paid. Day did this after Urban Meyer could not produce NFL 1st round QBs. What exactly do you think is a differentiator here for Sark? Day is batting 1.000 and you can try to argue around it 300 different ways but it remains true. 

To clarify, I didn't say the recruits don't care about the NFL, I said IDGAF. I don't. Fuck the NFL. I care about the Texas Longhorns. I give not a single fuck about the NFL other than it's effect on recruiting and to that end it really only matters where they get drafted. 

image.png.77deecdbba5c0f0736cad28eddb0ab97.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I guess Alex Smith and Tim Tebow doesn't exist anymore.

While what the qb does in the nfl is irrelevant, I agree, what Day has done in the NFL is not. Belief in Chip Kelly, enough to follow him from PHL to SFO, should throw a carrotkake amount of red flags. Day hasn’t developed anyone at either level because it’s not about the player, it’s about the system. Sell the system all you want, but the negative recruiting angle is an easy and underutilized one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Dude, just give it up. 

You're now at:

"sure, we are a big game for in-state programs (which make up 1/4 of our schedule right off the bat). And we are a big game for OU. And then there are small private schools...of course we are a big game for them. Traditional SWC rivals like Arkansas, yes, we are a big game for them. And sure, there may be a couple dozen more Big 12 opponents, SEC schools, and other blue bloods (USC, OSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska) that have a history with us and get super hyped to play us. But other than that Texas is basically just any other school on a schedule, don't believe Mack's lies".

But other than that what have Romans ever done for us?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Day is batting 1.000? What about UDFA JT Barrett? What about his QBs at Boston College or anywhere else before tOSU? Sure, he's had 2 successful college QBs in a row, but that's a very small sample size for someone who's been coaching just as long as Sark.

By the way, why doesn't UM get any credit for Haskins even though he was the HC his entire college career? Plus UM's prior QBs Barrett, Cardale, and Braxton were just as successful in college and equally inept in the NFL. As far as I can tell, the only thing that changed is NFL teams decided they liked the potential of Haskins and were wrong (and Fields is a true stud).

Meanwhile, Sark has been putting guys in the NFL for two decades across 3 different programs, with 3 sustained NFL careers (I know Leinart and Sanchez didn't light it up but 7/9 year NFL careers are nothing to scoff at). 

Ultimately, agree to disagree but the only people I see with a possible argument over Sark as a college QB developer are Lincoln and Mullen.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Dude, just give it up. 

You're now at:

"sure, we are a big game for in-state programs (which make up 1/4 of our schedule right off the bat). And we are a big game for OU. And then there are small private schools...of course we are a big game for them. Traditional SWC rivals like Arkansas, yes, we are a big game for them. And sure, there may be a couple dozen more Big 12 opponents, SEC schools, and other blue bloods (USC, OSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska) that have a history with us and get super hyped to play us. But other than that Texas is basically just any other school on a schedule, don't believe Mack's lies".

Did you graduate from UT, seriously? I said we are not big games for all our opponents and I accepted that we were for some. Learn to fucking read.

• Fuck You 5

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

On why:

This board is going to start hating Carrington soon aren't we?

8 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Please if we negged those who didn't drink the Kool-Aid then Satya would have been crowdsourced moments after he made his first post. No, we are fine with negativity and sandy vaginas to some degree. What we don't tolerate is pants-on-head level stupidity (we do tolerate a lot of stupidity though or else we'd all be banned, coelenterates, normal humans, and all in between). Your post was fucking dumb, it was provably dumb, and you should feel ashamed for posting it. This decade is our worst in history, no one disputes that, but to pretend no one gets up for us anymore is just laughable. We get everyone's best for the most part (unless you ask Georgia fans who will proudly claim a team that fought for points down three scores mid-way through the fourth didn't actually want to be in a NY6 bowl and that we got lucky). We are the news. And we will be good eventually again. It's a question for when, not if. People like your stupid-ass pea-brain self would be claiming no one cares about Alabama anymore after the Dubose, Franchione, and Shula era at Alabama as Nick Saban comes in and you would criticize anyone who said "uh...people still care about us and that's despite us being in the worst period ever" and claim that the board is now TexAgs. If you're going to make such stupid arguments, just accept it when everyone calls you regarded.

Once again, I never said we are not a big opponent for anyone. I took issue with someone saying we are big games for everyone. A one loss Iowa State, who doesn't have a historic rivalry with us, doesn't consider a 2 loss Texas a big game. That game was important to them because they had a clear path to the conference championship game. Calling my post stupid is classic group thinking that Texags has. Everyone nagging my post missed where I wrote "We are not a big game for everyone" because God forbid anyone says we are not the baddest and biggest program in CFB.

Edited by ShowMeALoss
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 35

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

this is such a dumb line of reasoning. If Day can get production and a first round draft pick out of a lazy, arrogant headcase like Haskins, then it shows he’s a good coach. Haskins not succeeding in the NFL won’t hurt Day. If anything, it just shows he’s a good coach. Same thing with Scipio’s article on Sark. Getting the most out of bad QBs and getting them drafted higher than they should be is not a bad sign for a coach and it won’t hurt recruiting, because Day can still show that his last toe QBs are first round picks. How they develop in the NFL has little to do with Day. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

45 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Calling my post stupid is classic group thinking that Texags has. Everyone nagging my post missed where I wrote "We are not a big game for everyone" because God forbid anyone says we are not the baddest and biggest program in CFB.

Nobody could've missed it. You've posted it over and over again. You're getting negged because you're saying nothing new and shitting on the board. Just put down the shovel...sorry for quoting for the rest of the degenerates.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting