Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This goofball didn't list Swanson, Hullaby, or Banks, all of whom could be the next to commit. Yet he listed Dewberry and Llewellyn. He might literally be making up stuff and be less informed than various posters on this board. That list is ... stunning. 

That one might be about to look even dumber.

29 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas commit Evan Stewart opens up on decision

Reveal hidden contents

Texas commit Evan Stewart opens up on decision

MikeRoach

Evan Stewart is the latest big-name prospect to join the 2022 Texas class.

The four-star wide receiver from Frisco (Texas) Liberty chose the Longhorns late on Thursday night, and he told Horns247 that the decision was all about the spotlight he could have in Austin.

"It's a big stage with a big name," Stewart said. "I want to be a really strong performer on that big stage with that big name."

Stewart was being recruited by the existing group of 2022 commits in the class. Armani Winfield, Maalik Murphy and Jaydon Blue were turning up the heat on him and he decided to take the plunge.

"It was really all of them trying to get me to go there," he said. "They were really just recruiting me hard trying to get me down there."

Stewart's recruitment with Texas goes back to the previous staff. He told Horns247 that he always felt he would end up there, but wide receivers coach Andre Coleman and new Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris helped to close the deal on what Jay Valai started.

"Coach Jay (Valai) started it off," he said. "He had a strong input and really started it off well. It was capitalized by (Brandon) Harris and (Andre) Coleman."

Harris is playing a bigger role in each recruitment for Texas. His age and recent experience playing at the college level is huge for Texas, and Stewart said it helps him relate to younger kids.

"He knows how to handle the youth," he said. "That was a big plus. He understands where most of us come from."

Andre Coleman was a big factor as well. The Texas wide receivers coach has a reputation for being genuine and direct, and that approach worked with Stewart.

"Coach Coleman is a good recruiter," he said. "He knows what he wants. He's going to tell you straight up what he wants and that's a good thing to have in a coach."

With his recruitment behind him, Stewart is going back to work to sharpen his skillset to make sure he has a strong senior season and is ready to make an impact when he reaches Austin.

"What's next for me is getting ready for the business I've got to handle," he said. "I've got to be better. I want to be better before I get there so I can display and showcase as soon as I get there."

Stewart works with D-FW wide receiver trainer Margin Hooks, and he's focused on refining some of the finer points of his game.

"Getting in and out of my breaks at the top of my route," he said. "I want to get more of a feel for the game."

Stewart was able to commit while on a Zoom call with the entire staff. The reaction was even more than he would have hoped for.

"They were excited," he said. "Way more excited than what I thought they were going to be. I had a Zoom call with them last night before I told them my final decision. They were all connected and most of the staff was there."

Stewart maintains that he's firmly committed, but he does want to take some visits and see other campuses once the NCAA allows them to make sure he has all of his bases covered.

"I still think I'm going to plan to take visits because I haven't seen any campus yet," he said. "I'm locked in, but if something were to happen I want to be prepared."

At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Stewart is ranked as the No. 5 wide receivers in the nation and No. 8 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite

Still planning to take visits huh. This one may not be completely over

I don't know what he's looking to play but watching him live, he's currently much better suited as a guard.  That said he's still young and growing so could play either one. He's good enough you take him for either one and/or both.

What is the realistic ideal OL class right now? Banks, Dewberry, Campbell, Robertson, plus one OOS badass? Any chance we take 6? Looks like we’re also pretty interested in Hutson and Neto in state.

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What is the realistic ideal OL class right now? Banks, Dewberry, Campbell, Robertson, plus one OOS badass? Any chance we take 6? Looks like we’re also pretty interested in Hutson and Neto in state.

I think we'll get in on one of the guys from WA/CA. Not that we'll land either but it seems like we'll be able to compete for at least one of them.

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Not really recruiting or Texas-specific but Gus Malzahn has hired Chris Dawson (S&C) away from KState. That's a damn good hire for Gus and puts some serious pressure on Klieman to make an excellent hire to replace him. 

That is counter balanced by the fact that he snatched Herb Hand away from Charlotte.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Ryan Day doesn't look like a real human being.

I watched a movie last night called "Freaky" in which, for a portion of the movie, Vince Vaughn is running around wearing an Aaron Rodgers mask. Ryan Day's real face actually kind of looks like that kind of mask. Fun movie, btw. Reminded me of the first Scream.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

TARS always looking on how and how not to upgrade his meat suit. 

1 minute ago, TexasEx said:

Pot, kettle. I trust its opinion. 

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

If he's a cyborg, you would know...

Lots of motherfuckers out here after low hanging fruit I guess.

I just talked to one of the staff members on the Westlake football team that works with Klubnik.  Said he’s not a fan of him.  Said he doesn’t work hard in the weight room and practice and that he’d be a poor leader for whichever school signs him.  Called him a “pretty boy” and said he wasn’t tough.  The same guy was on a support staff at a big 12 school for a few years.  

I was surprised to hear that.  Figured he’d be full of praise considering they just won the title.  

Figured I’d drop that in here.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting