Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, Tex-19 said:

247 writers may be getting pantsed by this class. Nick Harris 10 min ago - 

Not expecting any target to pop this weekend aside from Hullaby. Phaizon’s announcement will be a top schools and I don’t expect Texas to be on that list. There’s more to his recruitment that we probably won’t be able to get at until after signing day.

Well one of them between Fong and Harris definitely will be.

[mention=429]closetojumping[/mention] Isn't blueshirt QB Cole Lourd technically the QB2 for the '22 recruiting class? Or expect 2 QB classes from here on out.
'21 QB room: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card, Charles Wright, Cole Lourd (blueshirt)
'22 QB room: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card, Charles Wright, Cole Lourd, Maalik Murphy, and '22 QB2?

I think Cole is the QB2 for ‘22 unless Card starts, Casey transfers, AND another QB is not up to par OR is getting the transfer bug. We can survive if Casey transfers with Card, Wright, Lourd, and Murphy in the room.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I like this kind of exercise, so I'll play. 

QB 2 - Murphy and high floor guy in Texas that is being recruited by ULaLa, UTSA, Troy and the like. 

TB 2 - Blue and Miller

WR 4 - Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, Williams

TE 1 - a rando find from Texas

OT 2 - Neto, Banks

OT/OG 1 - Ernest Greene

OG 1 - Campbell

OG/C 1 - Robertson

DT 2 - Ross, Lucas

DE 2 - Swanson, Cooper

LB 3 - Johnson, Tuihalamaka, Lewis

CB 3 - Guilbeau, Harris, late find guy

S 3 - Anderson, Allen, Hullaby

That's 27. I'm sure if it is all still amazeballs recruiting because Texas is suddenly winning 10+ the list improves and another WR is added. Pretty sure this would be a top 5-6 class. 

Normally when I go back later and find these predictions, they're like 60-70% right unless all hell broke loose and there's regime change.

As guys are currently rated, that would come out to 315.57 in the calculator. Ross is currently unrated and the unnamed QB/TE aren't in there but are unlikely to move the number much. 

It would be the #1 rated class in 4 of the last 10 years. In the last decade only 3 schools (Bama, UGA, OSU) have signed a combined 7 classes rated higher (5 of them were Bama lol).

We'll likely fall short but it's really not that far out of reach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thought Anderson said we are recruiting him as a cb. Also, with wright and the walk on kid from 2021 do we really need a floor setting qb2 this cycle?

He's a safety. I'm not on the zooms, so I don't know how they're recruiting him, but that dude ain't a CB at the next level. 

Regarding QB2, I'm sticking with them taking a 2nd guy irrespective of existing depth. 

4 minutes ago, MoJames said:

This is the most optimistic you've been in a long time.

7d421d37c8df3d98c3b217c7f90bd527.gif

I expect Texas to sign top 5 recruiting classes every year. I wouldn't say it's optimism from that perspective, but sure, I'm not fucking @SydneyCarton or @golfclap over here cutting myself because of a few of the hires.

It's the best staff assembled at Texas since probably Akers. I can at least stay excited about things until they lose to ULaLa, I guess. Strong killed my buzz with Shawn Watson. I never had a buzz with Herman because I knew he was a fucktard, but his terrible first staff and the insistence of hiring of Casey Horny pretty much ensured that I was going to be holding my nose during his tenure barring something crazy. I at least get to make it to the first game this time.

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, Askew said:

Didn't we fill this need sufficiently well with Wright and Lourd this class? 

In the ideal scenario: Thompson wins the job this year, plays lights out. Thompson gets drafted in '22 or '23. Card, Wright, Lourd, Murphy for '22 +/- Thompson. 

Less ideal scenario: Card wins the job, Thompson transfers. Card, Wright, Lourd, Murphy for '22.  

No matter what, Card has at least three years of eligibility in '22 and you have 4 bodies in the room for the foreseeable future, barring transfers. Wright is for sure a 5-year guy. Why not use the '22 recruiting spot on another position instead of taking a Lourd replacement?

For transfer purposes I do like the idea of taking two-person classes with a 5/4-star and a high floor guy, rather than two 5/4-stars.

I hope you’re right but I think the Thompson/Card situation is one starts, one transfers.   If Thompson ends up winning it, I can’t see Card sticking around for 2 more years before he’s the guy.  Best case is Thompson wins, sets the world on fire, goes pro and Card starts RS Soph and Jr years and Maalik follows up starting RS Soph and Jr years. But that’s a hell of a stretch with a half of football to his name.  

What I think happens is Card wins the job, Thompson transfers, Card is the guy for 3 years and Maalik takes over afterwards.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

He's a safety. I'm not on the zooms, so I don't know how they're recruiting him, but that dude ain't a CB at the next level. 

Regarding QB2, I'm sticking with them taking a 2nd guy irrespective of existing depth. 

I expect Texas to sign top 5 recruiting classes every year. I wouldn't say it's optimism from that perspective, but sure, I'm not fucking @SydneyCarton or @golfclap over here cutting myself because of a few of the hires.

It's the best staff assembled at Texas since probably Akers. I can at least stay excited about things until they lose to ULaLa, I guess. Strong killed my buzz with Shawn Watson. I never had a buzz with Herman because I knew he was a fucktard, but his terrible first staff and the insistence of hiring of Casey Horny pretty much ensured that I was going to be holding my nose during his tenure barring something crazy. I at least get to make it to the first game this time.

You mean Fred “feet on the coach’s desk” Akers?

Why are people thinking that Card will beat out Thompson? What did I miss about Card besides his small hands?
I may be incorrect in the specifics. But there was an athletic article that came out from herman era coaches saying hudson was far and away more impressive than Thompson and that it was effectively his show moving forward.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Why are people thinking that Card will beat out Thompson? What did I miss about Card besides his small hands?

Pretty much all based on "sources in the program" saying Card is more talented. Not really running down Thompson's ability so much as hyping Card's. We'll see. 

The Athletic had an article where an anonymous coach on our staff compared him to Aaron Rodgers, keeping things nice and grounded: 

Spoiler

“Casey is a good player,” Coach Three said of Thompson. “Great personality. He’s probably only 5-11. OK arm strength. He throws a good catchable ball. He’s accurate. Has good touch. He’s fast, mobile. I think he’s a sub-4.5 guy. But I’d be shocked if Hudson’s not the quarterback.

“I love the guy. Love his accuracy. Hudson can really drive the football. His footwork and ability to throw from any platform. He’s a very intelligent kid. I think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented quarterback ever in terms of skill set. This kid reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers in how he can move within the pocket and throw from different arm angles and make off-platform throws, and he’s got really good agility. He’s like a 4.5 (40) guy. I’m not bullshitting you. He’s really that talented.”

Coach Two gushed about Card’s talent. “Hudson has got a chance to be special,” he said. “He is ridiculously good. He can really spin it. He makes good decisions. He has a lot of ‘It’ factor.”

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I like this kind of exercise, so I'll play. 

QB 2 - Murphy and high floor guy in Texas that is being recruited by ULaLa, UTSA, Troy and the like. 

TB 2 - Blue and Miller

WR 4 - Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, Williams

TE 1 - a rando find from Texas

OT 2 - Neto, Banks

OT/OG 1 - Ernest Greene

OG 1 - Campbell

OG/C 1 - Robertson

DT 2 - Ross, Lucas

DE 2 - Swanson, Cooper

LB 3 - Johnson, Tuihalamaka, Lewis

CB 3 - Guilbeau, Harris, late find guy

S 3 - Anderson, Allen, Hullaby

That's 27. I'm sure if it is all still amazeballs recruiting because Texas is suddenly winning 10+ the list improves and another WR is added. Pretty sure this would be a top 5-6 class. 

Normally when I go back later and find these predictions, they're like 60-70% right unless all hell broke loose and there's regime change.

Nice. Was hoping you’d have Coleman as one of the WRs.

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

@closetojumping Isn't blueshirt QB Cole Lourd technically the QB2 for the '22 recruiting class? Or expect 2 QB classes from here on out.

'21 QB room: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card, Charles Wright, Cole Lourd (blueshirt)

'22 QB room: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card, Charles Wright, Cole Lourd, Maalik Murphy, and '22 QB2?

To be clear, my view on 2 qbs in this class is colored by my view of the following:

1) Murphy is going to take a while potentially, so he's got a high beta. That puts more risk on the QB room.

2) One of Card and Thompson will be gone by the summer.

3) They can't feel certain that either Wright or Lourd will be able to play to this level. 

Obviously, all of those assumptions could be wrong, or eventually proven wrong by what the staff gets to see in the spring and fall. I'm happy if that's the case. I feel like the variables and therefore, the odds, favor what I'm thinking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

To be clear, my view on 2 qbs in this class is colored by my view of the following:

1) Murphy is going to take a while potentially, so he's got a high beta. That puts more risk on the QB room.

2) One of Card and Thompson will be gone by the summer.

3) They can't feel certain that either Wright or Lourd will be able to play to this level. 

Obviously, all of those assumptions could be wrong, or eventually proven wrong by what the staff gets to see in the spring and fall. I'm happy if that's the case. I feel like the variables and therefore, the odds, favor what I'm thinking. 

It’s to the point that a 2 QB class is a given.  One as your guy and one as transfer insurance.  Guys like Wright and Lourd are gonna be the biggest beneficiaries to it all cause they’ll get to spend 4-5 years in Austin vs insert low level D1 of your choosing. 

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Just seeing that name makes my eye twitch

I haven't heard, actually. Is he still with the program, or did he get the boot? I mean, fuck him either way. I'm just hoping he's gone.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Talk about deflating if Texas takes this guy. Bad take that will block better takes. I have more faith in them to clean up the WR depth chart than adding to the problem with this fucking guy.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells just doubled down by saying that Texas isn't taking him.

Kid just strikes me as a wave rider given his immediate decommitment after Ewers and his subsequent interest in Texas right after we started getting some other top recruits. Nothing wrong with tracking momentum, but maybe try to be a little less obvious with it? Wish him the best wherever he ends up but, given we are in a good position for several other more talented prospects, I hope it's not Texas at this point.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Brophy's probably AZ's most prestigious high school, especially for the total athletics/academics combination. Similar profile to the big California Jesuit/Catholic high schools. He'll already have access to great facilities, etc. No idea about level of competition.

So you're saying its AZ's version of Lake Travis! Nice...

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells just doubled down by saying that Texas isn't taking him.

This is fun. I got an emphatic "no" when picking around too. Wiltfong has never had much pull with UT. I'd be curious to read his actual write-up and see what it smells like on the bullshit meter. I assumed he must be right since he never really seems to make a pick unless a staffer or coach has told him "it's happening" for a recruit.

27 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Right now in Sark's life cycle that's good enough for me in an admin position that's behind the scenes. 

So ....   TrUsT tHe CoRcHEs 

Be better than this shameful bullshit.

You were happy with Chang and we were average on the field.

Do you actually understand what a DPP does? Do you honestly not understand the distance, the vast chasm between eval and the finished product? Much less the on-field result? 

You hate Drayton but every football person I've talked to has the exact opposite feeling.

Then you don't know very many football people. He's has absolutely coasted in this job since he's got here and it's widely known among coaches that he is. He's on the same fucking path as half the dudes at his age who go up to the NFL and come back down. When they come back they've lost the fire and the will to recruit and coast on name recognition and a bunch of the same old same old in drills. He so bad at his job that we literally hired a whole ass person to try and help him recruit and he's a RB COACH FFS.

You seem like a smart guy but you definitely sniff your own farts.

I'm embarrassed for you.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting