Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Looks like Conner Robertson is getting some BOMC on Rivals.  The state rankings won't be released until the end of the week, but his rating has already been changed from 5.5 to 5.7 (highest 3* rating).  If he gets a bump from 247 he'll probably be in the .88 range composite wise.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Conner Robertson is getting some BOMC on Rivals.  The state rankings won't be released until the end of the week, but his rating has already been changed from 5.5 to 5.7 (highest 3* rating).  If he gets a bump from 247 he'll probably be in the .88 range composite wise.

He looks athletic, strong and mean to my untrained eye. I hope he hops on board

28 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

He looks athletic, strong and mean to my untrained eye. I hope he hops on board

I would like to get him. Watching the highlights, I am pretty sure he grades out well. And he pulls really well. But, he doesn't look overly athletic considering how well he pulls. He needs to play guard or center at the next level.

16 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Hope we can win out on Harris. Would be huge to keep him in state for the good guys.

Yeah, I am tired of so many of the top 15 players going out of state. tOSU gets a few, Alabama gets a few, LSU gets a few and a few go to Clemson, Georgia, etc. This needs to stop if we are going to compete with the playoff regulars.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Goodies.)

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Recruiting notes on in-state prospects

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Recruiting notes on in-state prospects

MikeRoach

— We were very much expecting Landon Hullaby to pick Texas when he made his commitment on Saturday. The Mansfield Timberview safety has been said to be leaning toward the Longhorns and when he announced his commitment date, and I think that when you look at where things went wrong there was a combination. On one hand, I think there were a lot of assumptions made with Hullaby considering his brother was on the team, but I also think that Landon let that be the belief. I've seen some talk that he may not have been a take for Texas, but I haven't heard that at all when talking to sources in Austin. The decision was a surprise to just about everyone. In fact, I heard that while Oregon thought they could land him during the week leading up, they didn't know it was going to happen until the day of.

— Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell is a priority target for the Longhorns. The five-star big man recently tweeted a cryptic emoji which made people think he's close to a commitment. I've reported in the past that the plan for Campbell is to take his time with the process and that doesn't seem to be changing. I believe the next step for Campbell is to cut his list to a Top 10 and carry his recruitment into the summer.

— I feel that Texas is continuing to make a strong impression on Atascocita's four-star offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. I was told that he spoke with Kyle Flood tonight and Flood has totally flipped the script on how he views the Longhorns. Coming into the year, Dewberry just didn't feel like a priority for Texas and wasn't hearing a lot from Tom Herman or Herb Hand. Flood has been a breath of fresh air in the recruitment and Sarkisian is involved contacting him "once or twice a week" according to a source I spoke with. Nobody is at the very top for him, but Texas seems to be moving from the back of the pack toward the very top.

— Elite cornerback Denver Harris dropped his Top 4 over the weekend and Texas made the cut along with Texas A&M, Alabama and LSU. I really think this comes down to a head to head battle with Texas and Texas A&M, but I'm not counting out the other two. Alabama will really be one to watch with their strong record of development and Jay Valai on the job. Valai had Texas in a great position with Harris due to the relationship he had with the family, and he will be gunning for him now that he's in Tuscaloosa. That said, one source I spoke with today thought Texas had the slight edge at the moment.

— Texas is still sorting out the safety picture, but there is a lot of confidence in Blake Gideon landing some of his big targets. We feel best about Bryce Anderson at this point, but the Longhorns are also in a very good position with Bryan Allen. Outside of the two in-state studs, Texas is prioritizing out of state prospects like Larry Turner-Gooden and Kamari Wilson. One source I spoke with said that there was a belief they would come out with a strong group regardless, but it's encouraging to hear positives about Gideon as we have.

— Pilot Point athlete Ish Harris has been on a meteoric rise. Nick and I actually went to see him in the playoffs because we anticipated this hot streak of offers. I was told that Texas A&M was a big offer when it came, but Texas and Oklahoma might have trumped the Aggies in that race. Regardless, those three regional rivals are likely at the top of the list for the versatile athlete. Each school has something unique that appeals to Harris, so we will see who recruits him the hardest moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Goodies.)

Reveal hidden contents

MikeRoach

— We were very much expecting Landon Hullaby to pick Texas when he made his commitment on Saturday. The Mansfield Timberview safety has been said to be leaning toward the Longhorns and when he announced his commitment date, and I think that when you look at where things went wrong there was a combination. On one hand, I think there were a lot of assumptions made with Hullaby considering his brother was on the team, but I also think that Landon let that be the belief. I've seen some talk that he may not have been a take for Texas, but I haven't heard that at all when talking to sources in Austin. The decision was a surprise to just about everyone. In fact, I heard that while Oregon thought they could land him during the week leading up, they didn't know it was going to happen until the day of.

— Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell is a priority target for the Longhorns. The five-star big man recently tweeted a cryptic emoji which made people think he's close to a commitment. I've reported in the past that the plan for Campbell is to take his time with the process and that doesn't seem to be changing. I believe the next step for Campbell is to cut his list to a Top 10 and carry his recruitment into the summer.

— I feel that Texas is continuing to make a strong impression on Atascocita's four-star offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. I was told that he spoke with Kyle Flood tonight and Flood has totally flipped the script on how he views the Longhorns. Coming into the year, Dewberry just didn't feel like a priority for Texas and wasn't hearing a lot from Tom Herman or Herb Hand. Flood has been a breath of fresh air in the recruitment and Sarkisian is involved contacting him "once or twice a week" according to a source I spoke with. Nobody is at the very top for him, but Texas seems to be moving from the back of the pack toward the very top.

— Elite cornerback Denver Harris dropped his Top 4 over the weekend and Texas made the cut along with Texas A&M, Alabama and LSU. I really think this comes down to a head to head battle with Texas and Texas A&M, but I'm not counting out the other two. Alabama will really be one to watch with their strong record of development and Jay Valai on the job. Valai had Texas in a great position with Harris due to the relationship he had with the family, and he will be gunning for him now that he's in Tuscaloosa. That said, one source I spoke with today thought Texas had the slight edge at the moment.

— Texas is still sorting out the safety picture, but there is a lot of confidence in Blake Gideon landing some of his big targets. We feel best about Bryce Anderson at this point, but the Longhorns are also in a very good position with Bryan Allen. Outside of the two in-state studs, Texas is prioritizing out of state prospects like Larry Turner-Gooden and Kamari Wilson. One source I spoke with said that there was a belief they would come out with a strong group regardless, but it's encouraging to hear positives about Gideon as we have.

— Pilot Point athlete Ish Harris has been on a meteoric rise. Nick and I actually went to see him in the playoffs because we anticipated this hot streak of offers. I was told that Texas A&M was a big offer when it came, but Texas and Oklahoma might have trumped the Aggies in that race. Regardless, those three regional rivals are likely at the top of the list for the versatile athlete. Each school has something unique that appeals to Harris, so we will see who recruits him the hardest moving forward.

Hmmm, Roach calls Harris a UT vs. aggy UT battle and the IT update indicated it was more UT and Bama. Hopefully it’s just Texas and we never have to award any points in the source off. 

Still pretty baffled by the entire Hullaby thing. I wonder if while he was still a take he wasn’t a high priority and the staff just kind of took him for granted. 

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

(Goodies.)

Hide contents

MikeRoach

Harris is down to his final 4.  I think it is between these two, but don't be surprised if it's one of the other two.

• Haha 9

7 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Hmmm, Roach calls Harris a UT vs. aggy UT battle and the IT update indicated it was more UT and Bama. Hopefully it’s just Texas and we never have to award any points in the source off. 

Aggy will perceive Texas to be the leader and probably drive him to Bama whom they actually have on their schedule. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

If Texas beats Bama, aggy still gets to take a moral victory! S-E-C, S-E-C! 

image.jpeg.5bea3d32099fd09a297be65c89052ff1.jpeg

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Observations on Texas targets and eye catchers from Pylon 7v7 Bullhead City

Spoiler

Observations on Texas targets and eye catchers from Pylon 7v7 Bullhead City
MIKE ROACH

BULLHEAD CITY, Arizona — This weekend's Pylon 7v7 tournament in Bullhead City provided a great opportunity for live evaluations. Teams turned out from all over the coutnry and many Texas targets were in attendance.

Horns247 was able to see three Texas commits in action along with a bevy of targets currently holding offers. There were also several prospects not on the radar who caught our eye with strong performances over the weekend.

As we wrap up our coverage from the event, Horns247 provides observations on Texas targets and those who caught our eye during Pylon 7-on-7.

Maalik Murphy, QB, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

I went into detail on Saturday about my thoughts on the new Texas commit. I’m not going to rehash the evaluation notes, but I will talk more about Murphy’s intangibles. I don’t know him well enough yet, but observing him both up close and from afar, I believe he has all of the qualities programs look for in a quarterback. He’s a natural leader who exudes confidence that borders on cocky, but he somehow comes off as very humble at the same time. I also saw what I believe to be a thirst to grow in the mental aspect of the game. We’ve talked about the risk involved with a player like Murphy, but I believe if you combine his tools with work ethic and good coaching, the sky is the limit for what he can do.

Niuafe Tuihalamaka, LB, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany

Tuihalamaka has a big frame, and I was somewhat worried about his fit in a passing conference like the Big 12 where we have seen teams move more toward a smaller, swifter player at the position. Evaluating linebackers in 7-on-7 is always difficult, but I thought Tuihalamaka showed some quickness in coverage and fluidity in space. Combine that with his physical ability playing downhill and he could be a fit in just about any defense. He’s listed close to 240, but if he can keep those abilities, he can play in the Big 12.

C.J. Williams, WR, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Williams’ ranking can sometimes be deceiving because he doesn’t always make incredible plays, but he always seems to make the right ones. While other guys on the circuit love blowing the tops off of defenses vertically or going up and mossing a defender, Williams thrives as a strong route runner who has a great feel for space and catches anything that comes near him. He’s also pretty strong after the catch. You need the type of guys who are consistently open and provide a reliable target for their quarterbacks, and he can also go deep and get it every now and then. Don't let the lack of highlight plays fool you, Williams is a very technically sound and dangerous playmaker at receiver.

Malik Agbo, OL, Federal Way (Wash.) Tom Beamer

Agbo played tight end and showed he could move very well for his size, but it wasn’t a great eval opportunity for an offensive lineman. Agbo would have won the Mr. Congeniality award at the event as he was all smiles and chatty with everyone he came across. I’m a bit worried about his build right now as he’s already well north of 300 pounds going into his junior spring. He did show off some athleticism and quick feet at times which makes me think he could be a big-time player. 

James Monds, DB, Fort Pierce (Fla.) Westwood

I’ve seen Monds play with Fast 7v7 several times and he’s caught my eye. Playing in the slot opposite of Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau, Monds showed quickness, sticky coverage ability, and the killer instincts needed to read and break on balls. Monds picked up a ton of offers quickly, and he’s recently been in contact with Terry Joseph. He’s a player I’d like to see a lot more of to get a better idea of his overall skillset, but file the name away.

Kevin Coleman, WR, St. Louis (Mo.) Saint Mary’s

Coleman proved to be one of the best deep threats of the weekend consistently getting behind defenses and providing big scoring plays for Fast 7v7. Coleman showed considerable twitch and burst with the ability to separate because of his wheels. It’s easy to see why so many schools love Coleman’s ability. One thing I’d like to see more of is Coleman winning contested balls in traffic, but he’s tough to cover in a one-on-one situation.

Chris Marshall, WR, Fort Bend Marshall

Marshall continues to make a case to rise within the group of wide receivers in the state of Texas. Once again this week, Marshall flashed the big play ability with his large frame and strong ball-winning ability. Marshall is adjusting to the position well after coming over from basketball, and he shows some strong natural body control and the ability to adjust to the ball in flight to make some eye-popping catches.

Ty Lee, S, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Lee was a previously un-offered 2023 prospect who flashed immediately during pool play on Saturday. With a big frame around 6-2, 180 pounds, Lee showed great range and reaction skills and got his hands on a few passes to force turnovers. He was rewarded with an offer from USC, which should be considered a favorite as he’s the cousin of Bru McCoy. Keep an eye on this kid because he could really rise in the 2023 class.

Darrius Clemons, WR, Portland (OR.) Westview

Darrius Clemons was one of the most dominant players I saw during pool play on Saturday. A big-framed receiver with elite speed and quickness, Clemons made several highlight-reel plays for Grind Time out of the Portland area. Clemons did say he talked with Maalik Murphy recently and would love to hear from Texas.

Tobias Merriweather, WR, Camas (Wash.) Union

Merriweather was another Pacific Northwest pass catcher who flashed. I’ve seen him several times and he’s always been a big-time performer. Merriweather has a massive frame with a ton of room to add weight, and he’s extremely tough to cover in the red zone. Merriweather is also interested in getting off of the west coast, so Texas could be a good option if they get involved.

Jaylon Guilbeau, CB, Port Arthur Memorial

Guilbeau was solid as always playing in the slot for Fast 7v7’s defense. He’s increasing his versatility by repping different positions and getting a lot of experience. The Texas commit is confident in his ability and he takes pride in the technical side of the game as well. He also got a few interceptions during the tournament.

Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain

Blue rarely lines up in the backfield for 7v7, but he showed off his track speed several times going deep for big touchdowns. Blue also showed fantastic ball skills for a running back, and his overall versatility is what makes him such a hot commodity. The most important thing I’ve seen from Blue in 7v7 is his desire to compete. Nobody can question his heart.

Cole Welliver, QB, Flower Mound Marcus

I’ve written about Welliver several times in the last few weeks, but I can’t stress how impressive he was on day one of the tournament playing for FSP. His big body is hard to miss out there, but he plays with such poise for a young player. Welliver showed great command of the offense with an effortless delivery. It’s still early, but I’ve only felt this way about one other quarterback that I saw that young, and his name was Quinn Ewers.

Rayshon Luke, RB, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Maalik Murphy had some help from a few talented playmakers on offense, and Luke was one of my favorites to watch. A running back who played out of the backfield and made several huge plays. Luke showed electric speed and quickness and was nearly impossible to get a hand on when he was in the open field. USC seems to be the favorite for him, but he wouldn’t be a badoption for Texas looking for a do-it-all weapon on offense.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

If anybody can pull a moral victory out of that, it's aggy.

tu takes non-SEC ready, scared-of-the-SEC recruit after being finessed by wiley SEC coached and sitting national championship Coaches Saban and Fisher, neither of whom was ever interested in signing the player onto a team in the toughest division of the toughest conference in college football. We, the premiere SEC school in Texas, don't care about tu whom we've left in our rearview mirror because they were mean to us/because we really, really don't care about them and were just moving to bigger, better things.

[Okay, Aggies would never use the words finessed or whom, but I am cursed by a tu education and can't help myself.]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.jpeg.5bea3d32099fd09a297be65c89052ff1.jpeg

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Observations on Texas targets and eye catchers from Pylon 7v7 Bullhead City

Reveal hidden contents

Observations on Texas targets and eye catchers from Pylon 7v7 Bullhead City
MIKE ROACH

BULLHEAD CITY, Arizona — This weekend's Pylon 7v7 tournament in Bullhead City provided a great opportunity for live evaluations. Teams turned out from all over the coutnry and many Texas targets were in attendance.

Horns247 was able to see three Texas commits in action along with a bevy of targets currently holding offers. There were also several prospects not on the radar who caught our eye with strong performances over the weekend.

As we wrap up our coverage from the event, Horns247 provides observations on Texas targets and those who caught our eye during Pylon 7-on-7.

Maalik Murphy, QB, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

I went into detail on Saturday about my thoughts on the new Texas commit. I’m not going to rehash the evaluation notes, but I will talk more about Murphy’s intangibles. I don’t know him well enough yet, but observing him both up close and from afar, I believe he has all of the qualities programs look for in a quarterback. He’s a natural leader who exudes confidence that borders on cocky, but he somehow comes off as very humble at the same time. I also saw what I believe to be a thirst to grow in the mental aspect of the game. We’ve talked about the risk involved with a player like Murphy, but I believe if you combine his tools with work ethic and good coaching, the sky is the limit for what he can do.

Niuafe Tuihalamaka, LB, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany

Tuihalamaka has a big frame, and I was somewhat worried about his fit in a passing conference like the Big 12 where we have seen teams move more toward a smaller, swifter player at the position. Evaluating linebackers in 7-on-7 is always difficult, but I thought Tuihalamaka showed some quickness in coverage and fluidity in space. Combine that with his physical ability playing downhill and he could be a fit in just about any defense. He’s listed close to 240, but if he can keep those abilities, he can play in the Big 12.

C.J. Williams, WR, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Williams’ ranking can sometimes be deceiving because he doesn’t always make incredible plays, but he always seems to make the right ones. While other guys on the circuit love blowing the tops off of defenses vertically or going up and mossing a defender, Williams thrives as a strong route runner who has a great feel for space and catches anything that comes near him. He’s also pretty strong after the catch. You need the type of guys who are consistently open and provide a reliable target for their quarterbacks, and he can also go deep and get it every now and then. Don't let the lack of highlight plays fool you, Williams is a very technically sound and dangerous playmaker at receiver.

Malik Agbo, OL, Federal Way (Wash.) Tom Beamer

Agbo played tight end and showed he could move very well for his size, but it wasn’t a great eval opportunity for an offensive lineman. Agbo would have won the Mr. Congeniality award at the event as he was all smiles and chatty with everyone he came across. I’m a bit worried about his build right now as he’s already well north of 300 pounds going into his junior spring. He did show off some athleticism and quick feet at times which makes me think he could be a big-time player. 

James Monds, DB, Fort Pierce (Fla.) Westwood

I’ve seen Monds play with Fast 7v7 several times and he’s caught my eye. Playing in the slot opposite of Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau, Monds showed quickness, sticky coverage ability, and the killer instincts needed to read and break on balls. Monds picked up a ton of offers quickly, and he’s recently been in contact with Terry Joseph. He’s a player I’d like to see a lot more of to get a better idea of his overall skillset, but file the name away.

Kevin Coleman, WR, St. Louis (Mo.) Saint Mary’s

Coleman proved to be one of the best deep threats of the weekend consistently getting behind defenses and providing big scoring plays for Fast 7v7. Coleman showed considerable twitch and burst with the ability to separate because of his wheels. It’s easy to see why so many schools love Coleman’s ability. One thing I’d like to see more of is Coleman winning contested balls in traffic, but he’s tough to cover in a one-on-one situation.

Chris Marshall, WR, Fort Bend Marshall

Marshall continues to make a case to rise within the group of wide receivers in the state of Texas. Once again this week, Marshall flashed the big play ability with his large frame and strong ball-winning ability. Marshall is adjusting to the position well after coming over from basketball, and he shows some strong natural body control and the ability to adjust to the ball in flight to make some eye-popping catches.

Ty Lee, S, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Lee was a previously un-offered 2023 prospect who flashed immediately during pool play on Saturday. With a big frame around 6-2, 180 pounds, Lee showed great range and reaction skills and got his hands on a few passes to force turnovers. He was rewarded with an offer from USC, which should be considered a favorite as he’s the cousin of Bru McCoy. Keep an eye on this kid because he could really rise in the 2023 class.

Darrius Clemons, WR, Portland (OR.) Westview

Darrius Clemons was one of the most dominant players I saw during pool play on Saturday. A big-framed receiver with elite speed and quickness, Clemons made several highlight-reel plays for Grind Time out of the Portland area. Clemons did say he talked with Maalik Murphy recently and would love to hear from Texas.

Tobias Merriweather, WR, Camas (Wash.) Union

Merriweather was another Pacific Northwest pass catcher who flashed. I’ve seen him several times and he’s always been a big-time performer. Merriweather has a massive frame with a ton of room to add weight, and he’s extremely tough to cover in the red zone. Merriweather is also interested in getting off of the west coast, so Texas could be a good option if they get involved.

Jaylon Guilbeau, CB, Port Arthur Memorial

Guilbeau was solid as always playing in the slot for Fast 7v7’s defense. He’s increasing his versatility by repping different positions and getting a lot of experience. The Texas commit is confident in his ability and he takes pride in the technical side of the game as well. He also got a few interceptions during the tournament.

Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain

Blue rarely lines up in the backfield for 7v7, but he showed off his track speed several times going deep for big touchdowns. Blue also showed fantastic ball skills for a running back, and his overall versatility is what makes him such a hot commodity. The most important thing I’ve seen from Blue in 7v7 is his desire to compete. Nobody can question his heart.

Cole Welliver, QB, Flower Mound Marcus

I’ve written about Welliver several times in the last few weeks, but I can’t stress how impressive he was on day one of the tournament playing for FSP. His big body is hard to miss out there, but he plays with such poise for a young player. Welliver showed great command of the offense with an effortless delivery. It’s still early, but I’ve only felt this way about one other quarterback that I saw that young, and his name was Quinn Ewers.

Rayshon Luke, RB, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Maalik Murphy had some help from a few talented playmakers on offense, and Luke was one of my favorites to watch. A running back who played out of the backfield and made several huge plays. Luke showed electric speed and quickness and was nearly impossible to get a hand on when he was in the open field. USC seems to be the favorite for him, but he wouldn’t be a badoption for Texas looking for a do-it-all weapon on offense.

Holy shit

spacer.png

Also:

https://247sports.com/player/darrius-clemons-46058500/ - laser 4.37

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Major recruiting battles will shape Texas' class

Spoiler

The 2022 recruiting battles for Steve Sarkisian and staff inside state lines are beginning to take shape.

While there are several prospects on the Longhorns' top target list IT is not specifically focusing on today, there are 11 recruitments that will in large part shape the Longhorns' 2022 class and could build optimal momentum for future classes with a successful 2021 season on the field. If the Longhorns are to push for a top 5 class come December, the staff will have to win more than half of these key battles against Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Stanford and Notre Dame.

Texas vs. Oklahoma
S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo
The former LSU verbal is shaping up as a Longhorns vs. Sooners showdown with Texas A&M sitting third. Blake Gideon, Terry Joseph and staff have done a really good job here.

OG Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
This is a “must get” for the Longhorns. Campbell has been a Texas lean for a while, Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks have Texas positioned well, and an upset loss in this recruitment would likely send Campbell to Norman, or possibly LSU.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman
While there is some chatter the Sooners won’t have room for the versatile playmaker, let me say again that this is a prospect that runs 10.2-10.3 in the 100m. Programs find spots for difference making players, or difference making speed. The Longhorns are pushing as hard as they can. IT is not discounting other schools' chances, for the record.

OG/T Kam Dewberry, Atascocita
Texas' hire of Kyle Flood as OC/OL coach is big in this recruitment considering the Dewberry family admiration for Sooners' OL coach Bill Bedenbaugh has OU primed to win this recruitment. Texas A&M is also a legitimate player here.

Texas vs. Texas A&M/LSU/Alabama
CB Denver Harris, North Shore
Harris’ top 4 was Texas vs. the SEC West recruiting powers, but is likely to end up a Texas vs. Alabama battle. One source believes Harris ends up closer to home, and one source says it’s 50-50 right now between the Longhorns and Nick Saban.

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
Texas is trending here over Texas A&M. There is still work to be done to win out in a few weeks, but the entire Texas staff is pushing the correct buttons to this point.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
Banks has gone from LSU over Texas A&M during the last half of the 2020 season, to a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle with LSU not being counted out. The offensive line coach relationship continues to be key here, and Kyle Flood has Texas ascending.

CB Terrance Brooks, Plano John Paul II
Brooks could be in the Texas vs. Notre Dame/Stanford battles too. With that said, Nick Saban’s Zoom call was an eye opener and now it comes down to how hard the Crimson Tide pushes when assessing everyone's chances. Texas has been a constant. Texas A&M is trying to push hard now after not doing so for the majority of the 2020 season.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall
This is heading towards a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle should both programs remain fully engaged. LSU is one of many others in the mix.

Texas vs. Stanford/Notre Dame
DE Ernest Cooper IV, Arlington Martin
The 6-4, 235-pounder has Stanford remaining at the top of the list with Notre Dame, Texas and Texas A&M also very much in the mix. The Longhorns have some momentum at Martin High with teammates Morice Blackwell and now Trevell Johnson heading to Austin, but Cooper will make his own decision. This recruitment will be all about the Texas staff’s ability to win out on academics/football close to home vs. Stanford and possibly Notre Dame’s distance.

Texas vs. Ohio State
QB Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll
This is a battle that IT will continue to keep mentioning, as this is a potential game changer for Steve Sarkisian and staff in terms of perception and with the ultimate goal of locking down the state as much as possible.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

@Bam Bam Sam there's the defensive ADPP: https://twitter.com/robertcolemoore

Cole Moore

QB in high school -- LB at Montana State Sr year 2014

Montana State Univ -- Asst Athletic Director - Football Operations

https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/roster/cole-moore/2544

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robertcolemoore

• Hook 'Em 1

Rivals updated 2022 for Texas

1) Quinn Ewers
4) Bear Alexander
5) Denver Harris
14) Kam Dewberry
20) Devon Campbell
35) Harold Perkins
39) Conner Weigman
40) Cade Klubnik
42) Brenen Thompson
43) Bryce Anderson
52) Kelvin Banks
53) Caleb Burton
55) Julian Humphrey
62) Jaydon Blue
68) Omari Abor
77) Evan Stewart
96) Malick Sylla
106) Jaray Bledsoe
107) Armani Winfield
123) Chace Biddle
132) Terrance Brooks
136) Kobie McKinzie
140) Tavorus Jones
144) PJ Williams
150) Neto Umeozulu
162) Bryan Allen Jr
166) Ollie Gordon
167) Jordan Hudson
168) DJ Allen
169) Phaizon Wilson
181) Jaylen Early
188) Cameron Williams
190) Donovan Green
212) Jaylon Guilbeau
218) Cole Hudson
219) Bobby Taylor
224) Ish Harris
230) Jadarian Price
242) Cristian Driver

Some out of staters

18) Kevin Coleman
27) CJ Williams
48) Maalik Murphy
56) Earnest Greene
69) Larry Turner-Gooden
71) Niuafe Tuihalamaka
84) Xavier Nwankpa
117) Trevonte Citizen
193) Malik Agbo
211) Jacob Sexton

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Rivals250 rankings changes

Spoiler

1. Quinn Ewers (Ohio State - unchanged)

2. Domani Jackson (USC - unchanged)

4. Bear Alexander (up 1)

5. Denver Harris (down 2)

7. Luther Burden (OU - unchanged)

14. Kam Dewberry (down 1)

18. Kevin Coleman (down 1)

20. Devon Campbell (up 6)

27. CJ Williams (down 4)

32. Raleek Brown (OU - down 1)

33. Kamari Wilson (down 11)

35. Harold Perkins (down 2)

39. Conner Weigman (Texas A&M - up 31)

40. Cade Klubnik (up 106)

42. Brenen Thompson (down 15)

43. Bryce Anderson (down 3)

48. Maalik Murphy (Texas - down 3)

52. Kelvin Banks (up 14)

53. Caleb Burton (Ohio State - down 19)

55. Julian Humphrey (up 153)

56. Earnest Greene (down 7)

62. Jaydon Blue (Texas - down 6)

68. Omari Abor (up 21)

69. Larry Turner-Gooden (down 6)

71. Niuafe Tuihalamaka (down 6)

77. Evan Stewart (Texas - up 10)

96. Malick Sylla (Texas A&M - down 4)

106. Jaray Bledsoe (newly ranked)

107. Armani Winfield (Texas - down 4)

117. Trevonte' Citizen (up 100)

123. Chace Biddle (down 4)

132. Terrance Brooks (newly ranked)

136. Kobie McKinzie (OU - up 29)

140. Tavorus Jones (down 6)

144. PJ Williams (Texas A&M - newly ranked)

150. Neto Umeozulu (newly ranked)

162. Bryan Allen (down 52)

166. Ollie Gordon (Oklahoma State - newly ranked)

167. Jordan Hudson (OU - up 30)

168. DJ Allen (newly ranked)

169. Phaizon Wilson (down 26)

181. Jaylen Early (newly ranked)

182. Le'veon Moss (down 23)

188. Cameron Williams (down 21)

190. Donovan Green (Texas A&M - down 21)

193. Malik Agbo (down 21)

211. Jacob Sexton (down 45)

212. Jaylon Guilbeau (Texas - down 22)

218. Cole Hutson (up 18)

219. Bobby Taylor (down 14)

224. Ish Harris (newly ranked)

230. Jadarian Price (Notre Dame - down 20)

242. Cristian Driver (down 21)

• Hook 'Em 4

CJ Vogel (TFB) on Ish Harris

Spoiler

I made the trip up to Pilot Point yesterday to see rising 2022 athlete Ish Harris who traded in the hardwood last weekend for the baseball diamond.

In the last two weeks, Harris has picked up offers from Texas (Feb. 12) and Oklahoma (Feb. 17), yet his recruitment was already beginning to pop prior to the Red River rivals jumping into the mix.

“(Recruiting) has been pretty good to me,” said Harris, who was district 4-3A Offensive MVP this past season. “I’m just embracing it. It doesn’t last forever, so I am just not taking the things I have for granted.”

Harris told me there are four teams hot on his tail right now, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor. For the time being, there has not been any communication, but Alabama has started following Harris on Twitter and he expects them to get in the mix soon as well.

He added that Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas talk to him every day on the phone. The Texas staff even hosted him for a virtual visit last night as well. Harris said the coach that he has heard the most from so far during his recruitment is A&M’s Terry Price.

While he is listed as an ATH, Harris told me the majority of his offers are coming on the defensive side of the ball. Though, “I feel like wherever you put me, any environment, I feel like I can be a program changer,” Harris said. “I don’t prefer one side or the other, but side I know I will be the best at is probably outside linebacker because of my size and my build.”

The four aforementioned schools of Texas, A&M, OU and Baylor all offered on the defensive side of the ball. Though, it is worth noting that Texas A&M has pitched using Harris on both sides of the ball for a few series a game. “It is really appealing to me because I love both sides of the ball, but I still want to have a touch on the offensive side just a little bit.”

Getting into the Texas specific side of things, Harris said he is in communication with head coach Steve Sarkisian often, as well as LB coach Jeff Choate.

Harris has been down to Austin before and said he really enjoyed his trip down there, so he is familiar with the city.

My Take

Harris told me he hopes to have a top schools released prior to his senior season and commit sometime during the season, so I expect this recruitment to carry out quite a bit. The four-sport athlete hopes to study agricultural engineering at the next level which plays into the favor of Texas A&M.

For the time being, Texas A&M and Texas are both up at the top, though I would probably give the Aggies a slight edge. I am willing to bet Oklahoma makes up ground, but Harris pointed out a loaded depth chart at the LB position as something that is holding back the Sooners right now. But again, things will change once he is able to visit campuses in person.

(Mike Farrell) Mind of Mike: Thoughts on updated Rivals250 rankings

The Mind of Mike is a scary place. We dive into the mind of National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell and get his thoughts on the latest Rivals250 for the class of 2022.

SHUFFLING AT THE TOP

There wasn’t much of a debate over who should be ranked No. 1 overall as Ohio State quarterback commit Quinn Ewers stays on top based on his elite ability at the greatest position of need in football. While USC cornerback pledge Domani Jackson remains No. 2, I still think defensive tackle Walter Nolen is the rarest prospect in the class. His ability to run plays down, shoot the gap, handle double-teams and chase the passer is on the level of standouts such as Gerald McCoy and Rashan Gary .I doubt Ewers will be knocked off his throne anytime soon as Nolen has bounced around schools a bit but whoever gets the big man in the middle will be getting a star. Alabama, LSU, Florida, Clemson, Ohio State and especially Michigan of late have momentum.

The defensive line group overall appears to be special as Nolen is joined by Georgia defensive tackle commit Keithian Alexander, fellow Georgia commit Tyre West, North Carolina defensive tackle prospect Travis Shaw and yet another Georgia lean in defensive end Mykel Williams. While the quarterbacks will be getting a lot of the attention this year, the defensive line could be the position group that impacts college football the most over the next few years.
THOUGHTS ON THE NEW FIVE-STARS

Here’s my take on the new five-star prospects.

QB Gunner Stockton
— Stockton reminds me a bit of Sam Howell. He won’t impress you physically with his stature but he can make all the throws, has a great feel for the game and is more mobile than Howell. These are all the reasons why he made the jump because as a dual-threat quarterback he’s elite.

OT Devon Campbell
— Campbell could play tackle or guard and that versatility has schools lining up. He is going to give Kam Dewberry a run for his money as the best OL in the state if he continues to improve his feet.

DE Mykel Williams
— Williams is a big and long end who can beat you with power and off contact. He has an excellent shoulder dip around the corner. He could easily grow into a defensive tackle and could play there because of his excellent leverage.

QB Walker Howard
— Howard just played his first full season of high school ball and everything that was seen in camp settings looked even better in live action. He’s cool as a cucumber with the game on the line and that’s hard to teach.
PROSPECTS THAT JUST MISSED A FIFTH STAR

Here are some prospects that I think are just on the cusp of that fifth star.

QB Ty Simpson
— He’s accurate and smooth. He just needs to get a bit stronger and with that will come a bit more zip on the ball but he can be special.

DE Dani Dennis-Sutton
— Not getting to play this past season because of his home state shutting down football is probably the only reason why Sutton isn’t a five-star yet. He’s certainly got the power and frame to be dominant.

CB Jeadyn Lukas
— Lukas has great speed and excellent instincts, and is battling for his place in a very elite cornerback class.

WR CJ Williams
— I like Williams as a big receiver with an excellent catch radius who is hard to bring down but not playing this past season hurt a bit.

LB Gabe Powers
— The only issue with Powers is he keeps getting bigger and is now kind of a tweener between linebacker and defensive end.

LB Dasan McCullough
— McCullough is a quick-twitch kid who needs to get a bit thicker and reminds me of Terrence Lewis, who eventually got his fifth star.

LB Harold Perkins
— He’s tall, long and thin, and needs to add size and strength but his athleticism is there.

BITS AND PIECES

... Let’s talk quarterbacks as Ewers, Stockton and Howard have earned fifth stars and Simpson is pushing. I really like this quarterback class overall with some other high ceiling guys such as Cade Klubnick, Maalik Murphy (Texas), Conner Weigman (Texas A&M) and one of my favorites is Tanner Bailey. There are others as well in a deep class but these prospects all stand out to me for different reasons. Whether it’s the command of Ewers, the mobility of Stockton or the downfield accuracy of Bailey, this is as good of a group as 2021. That class ended up with four different five-star quarterbacks in Caleb Williams, Brock Vandagriff, Ty Thompson and Sam Huard. I’m not saying we will have four in this class but the depth and the top-end talent is excellent.

... So far it’s not an elite year at running back or wide receiver but with fewer evaluations this past spring and summer that means some surprises are going to emerge this year.

... Tight end Oscar Delp made a big push upward – 88 spots to No. 89 in the country – and is the clear No. 1 tight end in this class. He’s not on the cusp of a fifth star such as Thomas Fidone
was last year, at least not yet, but he has a similar frame and can play flex or out wide.

RIVALS RANKINGS WEEK SCHEDULE

MONDAY: Five-star countdown

TUESDAY: New Rivals250 is revealed | Biggest movers in the new Rivals250 | New five-stars spotlight

WEDNESDAY: Offensive position rankings | Schools with the most in the Rivals250

THURSDAY: Defensive position rankings

FRIDAY: State rankings spotlight

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting