Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I think player recruiting is whats going to give Texas a good chance here. All the big time players in Houston are close so I do think Texas can find they’re way into this recruitment, just got to keep chipping away....

cypress has usually been a pipeline to A&M in past recruitments though

It depends on where in Cy - there's only about 12 high schools in Cypress Fairbanks. Vernon Broughton is from Cy Ridge. Christian Jones from Cy Woods.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Anyone know anything about the Cy Park coaching staff? I know the principal is a Longhorn but that doesn't matter very much. 

It's a really nice looking school built a couple of years ago way out by 99 with not much around it but a neighborhood or two.

Here's their coaches

https://sites.google.com/cfisd.net/cypress-park-athletics/football/coaches

Head Coach: Greg Rogers - Running Backs

Assistant Coaches:

Todd Ringo - Defensive Coordinator / Safeties 

Richard Ibarra - Offensive Coordinator / Offensive Line 

Pete Longoria - Wide Receivers 

Kenneth Stockton - Offensive Line 

Brett Barrett - 9th OL/DL 

David Tilbury - Corners 

Ashante Joseph - Linebackers 

Patrick Hasker - Defensive Line 

Cass Ingvardsen - 9th WR/LB 

Chris Roberts - Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends 

Kenneth Carrell - Outside Linebackers 

Casey Rosellini - Quarterbacks 

Dexter Redd - 9th RB/DB 

Edited by Viper

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Looks fucking huge driving past it

yeah it looks like 3 stories or something. Looks nicer than some college buildings. Before they started building it, they had the middle school done and I thought it was the high school at first because it was so big and nice.

28 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I think player recruiting is whats going to give Texas a good chance here. All the big time players in Houston are close so I do think Texas can find they’re way into this recruitment, just got to keep chipping away....

The general consensus is there just isn't much interest from Perkins, which is really too bad because I think he's awesome and would kill it with Kwiatkowski. It's probably aggy unless Saban decides to make him a big priority and then maybe it's Bama. 

I'll will say, if we could claw our way into the picture and somehow land him that would be a real "oh shit" moment for a&m and to some extent SEC schools who like to recruit in Texas. Even more so than Anderson and Allen. LB recruiting isn't even supposed to be the strength of our staff and a come from behind win for a CY Park stud who was all about the SEC would be eye opening. 

Again, it's most likely mute but if I'm pleasantly surprised it would probably be the best bellwether yet of what this staff can (and is willing to) do on the recruiting trail. 

43 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Anyone know anything about the Cy Park coaching staff? I know the principal is a Longhorn but that doesn't matter very much. 

I  believe @SydneyCarton has one of his aggie cousins there on the staff. He apparently drives Perkins to and from school each day, as well as their regular random visits to College Station. 

37 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Texas' "good chance" with Perkins is rivaled by the odds of flipping a coin and having it land on heads for about 15 straight flips. So, yeah, this one is a coin flip, folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The general consensus is there just isn't much interest from Perkins, which is really too bad because I think he's awesome and would kill it with Kwiatkowski. It's probably aggy unless Saban decides to make him a big priority and then maybe it's Bama. 

I'll will say, if we could claw our way into the picture and somehow land him that would be a real "oh shit" moment for a&m and to some extent SEC schools who like to recruit in Texas. Even more so than Anderson and Allen. LB recruiting isn't even supposed to be the strength of our staff and a come from behind win for a CY Park stud who was all about the SEC would be eye opening. 

Again, it's most likely mute but if I'm pleasantly surprised it would probably be the best bellwether yet of what this staff can (and is willing to) do on the recruiting trail. 

Oh, it's not "muted", sir. You are coming in loud and clear with the voicing of your fantasy.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I  believe @SydneyCarton has one of his aggie cousins there on the staff. He apparently drives Perkins to and from school each day, as well as their regular random visits to College Station. 

Texas' "good chance" with Perkins is rivaled by the odds of flipping a coin and having it land on heads for about 15 straight flips. So, yeah, this one is a coin flip, folks.

This is never going to stop being funny to you, is it?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh, it's not "muted", sir. You are coming in loud and clear with the voicing of your fantasy.

Harsh. Next you are going to tell me that my treatise on what it means for the future IF J.T. Tuimoloau shocks the world and signs with Texas next month is also a waste of time.

Yeah ok fair enough.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Could be worse. @SydneyCarton could be the one driving him to school each day.

(Mike Roach) Thoughts on Texas commits and targets in 2022 Top247 update

Spoiler

—Omari Abor checks in at No. 12 nationally after bumping up from No. 19. I’ve shared before how I feel about Abor’s potential to be a first round draft pick and elite edge rusher at the college level. Oklahoma is perceived as a leader in this race while Ohio State poses a huge threat as well. I spoke with a source near Abor who said Texas is doing everything they can to land the elite pass rusher right now. He’s pretty close to a must have in this 2022 in-state class.

—St. Louis (Mo.) Saint Mary’s wide receiver Kevin Coleman rose from No. 18 to No. 16. Coleman proved several times on the 7v7 circuit that he can push defenses vertically and track the ball well over his shoulder. His big play ability is a must for any school, but I’d like to see him play the ball in traffic and make contested catches a bit better. Texas is very much in the mix for his services at the time.

—Aside from Abor, Harold Perkins is the maybe the best pure defensive prospect in the state. Perkins showed last year he had freakish ability to do it all no matter where he lined up. Perkins is the type of athletic linebacker needed to play defense in the Big 12. Texas A&M is perceived as the leader right now, but Texas won’t go away quietly.

—Denver Harris debuted as an elite prospect and has retained his position ever since. Harris moved up a few spots from No. 24 to 20 after another strong season and looks to be a cinch to finish a five-star prospect in this class barring a big setback. Texas seems to be putting themselves into a strong position for Harris once again but will have a battle with LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M.

—Arlington Bowie OL Devon Campbell holds strong at No. 22 after another good season. I was worried about Campbell because he was a bit heavy the first game of the year, but he’s dropped some of that bad weight and is still playing a dominant brand of football. Campbell showed off his skill and power on both sides of the ball and remains the No. 1 offensive lineman in the state of Texas. Campbell is releasing a Top 10 soon, and Texas should remain towards the top of his list until the very end.

—The case of Kelvin Banks will be interesting to watch. He actually bumped two spots from No. 26 to 24 but his position was changed by 247Sports from tackle to guard. Our evaluators felt it was more likely he’d end up as a guard in college after watching his junior film. Wherever he ends up, Banks has the frame and dominant ability to become an impact piece for whatever school he chooses.

—Jaydon Blue is now the No. 1 running back in the country. Making the move from No. 70 to No. 32, Blue checks all the boxes for our evaluators. His combination of verified athleticism and on field production were huge components of his move and getting to No. 32 puts him in five-star territory going forward.

—Evan Stewart drops one spot from No. 36 to 37 but he was bumped in October following a big start to his junior year. Stewart’s position puts him just outside of five-star range as we head into his junior spring where he could put up some more incredible track times.

—Texas target Kamari Wilson moves from No. 39 to 41 but his rating actually went up a point from a 94 to a 95. The Longhorns have Wilson as one of their top out of state safety targets and are working to land him, but they will face tough competition from SEC programs used to winning elite recruits in Florida.

—C.J. Williams dropped 10 spots from No. 35 to No. 45. While there is a lot to like, I think the physical tools aren’t quite what they are for a few other prospects in the class. Still, Williams is a strong prospect who has a good natural feel for the game and the ability to get open in different situations. Texas is battling with programs like Alabama, Notre Dame and USC for his services.

—Beaumont Westbrook safety Bryce Anderson saw a ratings bump after his season and moves from No. 85 to No. 57 making him the top safety in the state of Texas. Texas has been picking up the momentum on the 247Sports Crystal Ball as of late, and Anderson would be a strong early addition for Texas.

—Aledo safety Bryan Allen Jr. checks in at No. 58 right behind Anderson. His ranking took a slight fall from No. 54 to No. 58. Allen had another strong year for Aledo and showed some more versatility in coverage. Texas seems to be surging in this race as well along with Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Ohio State.

—Maalik Murphy stayed put, and that’s a win for him at this point. Murphy will get the opportunity to get on the field this spring in a shortened season, but it’s tough to give him a significant bump or drop without playing. Murphy showed his stuff on the camp and 7v7 scene, but he has to prove it on Friday nights if he wants to make that big move up.

—Jaylon Guilbeau remained pretty stationary after his season. There’s still some question as to where Guilbeau ultimately ends up at the next level. He usually plays out on an island in high school, but he might be a strong fit at nickel where he plays in 7v7.

—Texas linebacker target Niuafe Tuihalamaka saw his rating go up from a 93 to a 94 despite a small drop from No. 79 to 83. Tuihalamaka is a strong interior player, but he showed this weekend that he can also move in coverage.

—Austin Westlake quarterback Cade Klubnik made a big jump from No. 220 to No. 99 after a great first year as the full-time starter. Klubnik has more room for growth as his senior season could be even better than his dominant junior year. Texas has still been in contact with Klubnik throughout the process after landing Maalik Murphy and could possibly push to take two quarterbacks in this class.

—Chris Marshall makes his debut in the Top247 at No. 118. He should continue his rise as he grows into a complete football player. Marshall previously played basketball, but his first year on the field was strong and he’s carried that over to the 7v7 circuit. Marshall has some strong physical tools to go along with his big frame, but he’s still raw from a technical standpoint.

—Armani Winfield saw a slight drop from No. 115 to No. 127 as others moved up around him. Armani first popped as a freshman, so his rate of development has slowed more as late bloomers keep rising. Still, he shows strong route running ability and the skill to go catch the deep ball.

—Texas target Jamarion Miller got a one-point rating bump and went up from No. 137 to 131. Miller had a strong junior season and was near the top of the group of highly-ranked in state backs in yards per carry. Texas is in his top group and could close if they push.

—Denton Ryan DB Austin Jordan took a tumble from 86 to 152 and his position was changed to safety. While Jordan showed a lot of straight-line speed, there are questions about his lateral ability and quickness. As a safety he can use his tremendous explosive ability and range and come downhill to make plays in the box.

—Texas target Tavorus Jones got off to a tough start but actually finished his season strong. Jones went up slightly and earned a point on his rating. Texas is still sorting out secondary options at running back, but Jones is squarely in the mix.

—Spearman athlete Brenen Thompson rose a point on his rating despite taking a small fall in his overall ranking. Thompson has an electric skillset and owns explosive track times, and he’s been able to make some big plays at the small school level. Texas is in the mix along with Clemson and a few others right now.

—Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry fell a few spots to No. 216. I thought he had a dominant junior season on the field and has shaped his body a little better, but some have concerns over his ceiling, build and physical tools. Whatever the case, Dewberry should be a strong college prospect and Texas is squarely in the mix for his services.

—While he isn’t technically a Texas target, Gladewater receiver DJ Allen is one to watch for the Longhorns. He made his debut in the Top247 after a big season and could be a rising guy to watch this spring.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Could be worse. @SydneyCarton could be the one driving him to school each day.

He apparently can't start his car most mornings. He's got to be able to pass the county-mandated blow-test before the car can start and, well, my understanding is that that can't normally happen for him but for a window between 12 and 3pm.

• Hook 'Em 1

—Omari Abor checks in at No. 12 nationally after bumping up from No. 19. I’ve shared before how I feel about Abor’s potential to be a first round draft pick and elite edge rusher at the college level. Oklahoma is perceived as a leader in this race while Ohio State poses a huge threat as well. I spoke with a source near Abor who said Texas is doing everything they can to land the elite pass rusher right now. He’s pretty close to a must have in this 2022 in-state class.

He's a must have. Also we will not have him. So now what, Mike?

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

—C.J. Williams dropped 10 spots from No. 35 to No. 45. While there is a lot to like, I think the physical tools aren’t quite what they are for a few other prospects in the class. Still, Williams is a strong prospect who has a good natural feel for the game and the ability to get open in different situations. Texas is battling with programs like Alabama, Notre Dame and USC for his services.

This one is just pure stupid. Great evaluators and blue bloods like Bama, Notre Dame, Texas, and USC all want the guy but he doesn't have elite physical tools? Solid eval Roach.  

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) Thoughts on Texas commits and targets in 2022 Top247 update

Reveal hidden contents

—St. Louis (Mo.) Saint Mary’s wide receiver Kevin Coleman rose from No. 18 to No. 16. Coleman proved several times on the 7v7 circuit that he can push defenses vertically and track the ball well over his shoulder. His big play ability is a must for any school, but I’d like to see him play the ball in traffic and make contested catches a bit better. Texas is very much in the mix for his services at the time.

—Aside from Abor, Harold Perkins is the maybe the best pure defensive prospect in the state. Perkins showed last year he had freakish ability to do it all no matter where he lined up. Perkins is the type of athletic linebacker needed to play defense in the Big 12. Texas A&M is perceived as the leader right now, but Texas won’t go away quietly.

—Denver Harris debuted as an elite prospect and has retained his position ever since. Harris moved up a few spots from No. 24 to 20 after another strong season and looks to be a cinch to finish a five-star prospect in this class barring a big setback. Texas seems to be putting themselves into a strong position for Harris once again but will have a battle with LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M.

—Arlington Bowie OL Devon Campbell holds strong at No. 22 after another good season. I was worried about Campbell because he was a bit heavy the first game of the year, but he’s dropped some of that bad weight and is still playing a dominant brand of football. Campbell showed off his skill and power on both sides of the ball and remains the No. 1 offensive lineman in the state of Texas. Campbell is releasing a Top 10 soon, and Texas should remain towards the top of his list until the very end.

—The case of Kelvin Banks will be interesting to watch. He actually bumped two spots from No. 26 to 24 but his position was changed by 247Sports from tackle to guard. Our evaluators felt it was more likely he’d end up as a guard in college after watching his junior film. Wherever he ends up, Banks has the frame and dominant ability to become an impact piece for whatever school he chooses.

—Jaydon Blue is now the No. 1 running back in the country. Making the move from No. 70 to No. 32, Blue checks all the boxes for our evaluators. His combination of verified athleticism and on field production were huge components of his move and getting to No. 32 puts him in five-star territory going forward.

—Evan Stewart drops one spot from No. 36 to 37 but he was bumped in October following a big start to his junior year. Stewart’s position puts him just outside of five-star range as we head into his junior spring where he could put up some more incredible track times.

—Texas target Kamari Wilson moves from No. 39 to 41 but his rating actually went up a point from a 94 to a 95. The Longhorns have Wilson as one of their top out of state safety targets and are working to land him, but they will face tough competition from SEC programs used to winning elite recruits in Florida.

—Beaumont Westbrook safety Bryce Anderson saw a ratings bump after his season and moves from No. 85 to No. 57 making him the top safety in the state of Texas. Texas has been picking up the momentum on the 247Sports Crystal Ball as of late, and Anderson would be a strong early addition for Texas.

—Aledo safety Bryan Allen Jr. checks in at No. 58 right behind Anderson. His ranking took a slight fall from No. 54 to No. 58. Allen had another strong year for Aledo and showed some more versatility in coverage. Texas seems to be surging in this race as well along with Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Ohio State.

—Maalik Murphy stayed put, and that’s a win for him at this point. Murphy will get the opportunity to get on the field this spring in a shortened season, but it’s tough to give him a significant bump or drop without playing. Murphy showed his stuff on the camp and 7v7 scene, but he has to prove it on Friday nights if he wants to make that big move up.

—Jaylon Guilbeau remained pretty stationary after his season. There’s still some question as to where Guilbeau ultimately ends up at the next level. He usually plays out on an island in high school, but he might be a strong fit at nickel where he plays in 7v7.

—Texas linebacker target Niuafe Tuihalamaka saw his rating go up from a 93 to a 94 despite a small drop from No. 79 to 83. Tuihalamaka is a strong interior player, but he showed this weekend that he can also move in coverage.

—Austin Westlake quarterback Cade Klubnik made a big jump from No. 220 to No. 99 after a great first year as the full-time starter. Klubnik has more room for growth as his senior season could be even better than his dominant junior year. Texas has still been in contact with Klubnik throughout the process after landing Maalik Murphy and could possibly push to take two quarterbacks in this class.

—Chris Marshall makes his debut in the Top247 at No. 118. He should continue his rise as he grows into a complete football player. Marshall previously played basketball, but his first year on the field was strong and he’s carried that over to the 7v7 circuit. Marshall has some strong physical tools to go along with his big frame, but he’s still raw from a technical standpoint.

—Armani Winfield saw a slight drop from No. 115 to No. 127 as others moved up around him. Armani first popped as a freshman, so his rate of development has slowed more as late bloomers keep rising. Still, he shows strong route running ability and the skill to go catch the deep ball.

—Texas target Jamarion Miller got a one-point rating bump and went up from No. 137 to 131. Miller had a strong junior season and was near the top of the group of highly-ranked in state backs in yards per carry. Texas is in his top group and could close if they push.

—Denton Ryan DB Austin Jordan took a tumble from 86 to 152 and his position was changed to safety. While Jordan showed a lot of straight-line speed, there are questions about his lateral ability and quickness. As a safety he can use his tremendous explosive ability and range and come downhill to make plays in the box.

—Texas target Tavorus Jones got off to a tough start but actually finished his season strong. Jones went up slightly and earned a point on his rating. Texas is still sorting out secondary options at running back, but Jones is squarely in the mix.

—Spearman athlete Brenen Thompson rose a point on his rating despite taking a small fall in his overall ranking. Thompson has an electric skillset and owns explosive track times, and he’s been able to make some big plays at the small school level. Texas is in the mix along with Clemson and a few others right now.

—Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry fell a few spots to No. 216. I thought he had a dominant junior season on the field and has shaped his body a little better, but some have concerns over his ceiling, build and physical tools. Whatever the case, Dewberry should be a strong college prospect and Texas is squarely in the mix for his services.

—While he isn’t technically a Texas target, Gladewater receiver DJ Allen is one to watch for the Longhorns. He made his debut in the Top247 after a big season and could be a rising guy to watch this spring.

So when he was 36th in the country, Evan Stewart was in the 5* range, now that he's at 37, he's not in consideration, god bless Roach 

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This one is just pure stupid. Great evaluators and blue bloods like Bama, Notre Dame, Texas, and USC all want the guy but he doesn't have elite physical tools? Solid eval Roach.  

What elite physical tools would you say that he has? 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting