Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

9 hours ago, Nowhichski said:

A cunning Linguist is always a threat. 

Linguist was probably Jimbo's worst recruiter, and now he's a threat to steal on of Texas' top in state DB targets from the far flung region of Michigan? Yeah I don't believe that Ears to the Street, 

Congrats to Mo for turning a shitcanning at Aggy into a promotion at Michigan. Only on a Jim Harbaugh staff. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

So...  Linguist, the new  *looks up title* co-DC?

Motherfuckingfuck. Added titles to get more money and/or to avoid lateral movement clauses in contracts are as old as the hills. Do any of you fuckers think Banks is doing any Head coach work? How about our very own Co-DC Jeff Choate? 

fuck

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

FWIW Michigan fans like Linguist so far. They landed a 5* CB recently and seemed to think he was a big reason why. 

Maybe the problem at A&M wasn't Linguist and Joseph, but some other common factor...

They also think Banks is an average recruiter based on his aggy results. So... 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Breakfast Bites: Team and recruiting notes to get the morning started

Spoiler

Breakfast Bites: Team and recruiting notes to get the morning started

MikeRoach

—Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert is now officially on the job at Texas and met with leadership from the Texas High School Coaches Association. Gilbert was a member of the Region 3 Board of Directors for the THSCA when he was hired at Texas. Sarkisian and Gilbert were pictured with THSCA Executive Director Joe Martin and Assistant Executive Director Glen West. In talking to sources at several Texas high schools and others within the THSCA, Steve Sarkisian has been very well-received so far. His first meeting with the THSCA went extremely well, and hiring Gilbert was another great move to ingratiate himself with the Texas coaches. So far, the reviews have been strong and I was told that there’s a lot of faith in Sarkisian going forward. Where the Texas job can be a pressure cooker for many, Sark’s time at USC and Alabama prepared him well for a high-pressure environment.

—Speaking of Gilbert, it’s been an all-hands-on-deck approach for Texas recruiting and Gilbert has been involved. In the past, Bob Shipley didn’t seem to be involved a ton in the day-to-day recruiting operation for Tom Herman, but several high school coaches have told me that Gilbert has been involved with a number of prospects. While Gilbert doesn’t serve as a primary recruiter for anyone, several high school coaches told me he’s been working the phones to connect with other coaches in the state in order to reach kids or parents. Gilbert is an incredible relationship builder and universally liked within the state of Texas, so consider him another weapon for Texas on the recruiting trail.

—I’m told the mood around the team can best be described as “refreshing.” Maybe it was the shadow over the program with Tom Herman’s job constantly in question over the last two years, but it sounds like the change in leadership has been a breath of fresh air. One source told me that the staff is coming together in a very cohesive manner quickly. One source told me they were impressed with the overall knowledge and work ethic of the coaches and support staff members. While there are some big resumes in the coach’s office, there doesn’t seem to be any big ego right now. Coaches tend to take their cues from the head coach, and I’ve been told by several people that Sark is a regular and approachable guy.

—When Tom Herman first got to Texas, he remarked that he hadn’t watched any film on his team and wasn’t effusive in his praise of the talent on the roster. I was told that the staff likes the roster they have and feel they have a chance to get a lot out of them come this fall. So far, several members of the team have impressed the staff with their work ethic in the offseason and they feel they are getting strong leadership from several members of the team. It also helps that some of the most talented players on the roster are leading the way in those workouts. It’s too early to gauge buy-in, but I haven’t heard very many negatives from the team since the new staff arrived and workouts started.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

While Gilbert doesn’t serve as a primary recruiter for anyone, several high school coaches told me he’s been working the phones to connect with other coaches in the state in order to reach kids or parents. Gilbert is an incredible relationship builder and universally liked within the state of Texas, so consider him another weapon for Texas on the recruiting trail.

Love this. All gas baby!

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Breakfast Bites: Team and recruiting notes to get the morning started

Hide contents

Breakfast Bites: Team and recruiting notes to get the morning started

MikeRoach

—Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert is now officially on the job at Texas and met with leadership from the Texas High School Coaches Association. Gilbert was a member of the Region 3 Board of Directors for the THSCA when he was hired at Texas. Sarkisian and Gilbert were pictured with THSCA Executive Director Joe Martin and Assistant Executive Director Glen West. In talking to sources at several Texas high schools and others within the THSCA, Steve Sarkisian has been very well-received so far. His first meeting with the THSCA went extremely well, and hiring Gilbert was another great move to ingratiate himself with the Texas coaches. So far, the reviews have been strong and I was told that there’s a lot of faith in Sarkisian going forward. Where the Texas job can be a pressure cooker for many, Sark’s time at USC and Alabama prepared him well for a high-pressure environment.

—Speaking of Gilbert, it’s been an all-hands-on-deck approach for Texas recruiting and Gilbert has been involved. In the past, Bob Shipley didn’t seem to be involved a ton in the day-to-day recruiting operation for Tom Herman, but several high school coaches have told me that Gilbert has been involved with a number of prospects. While Gilbert doesn’t serve as a primary recruiter for anyone, several high school coaches told me he’s been working the phones to connect with other coaches in the state in order to reach kids or parents. Gilbert is an incredible relationship builder and universally liked within the state of Texas, so consider him another weapon for Texas on the recruiting trail.

—I’m told the mood around the team can best be described as “refreshing.” Maybe it was the shadow over the program with Tom Herman’s job constantly in question over the last two years, but it sounds like the change in leadership has been a breath of fresh air. One source told me that the staff is coming together in a very cohesive manner quickly. One source told me they were impressed with the overall knowledge and work ethic of the coaches and support staff members. While there are some big resumes in the coach’s office, there doesn’t seem to be any big ego right now. Coaches tend to take their cues from the head coach, and I’ve been told by several people that Sark is a regular and approachable guy.

—When Tom Herman first got to Texas, he remarked that he hadn’t watched any film on his team and wasn’t effusive in his praise of the talent on the roster. I was told that the staff likes the roster they have and feel they have a chance to get a lot out of them come this fall. So far, several members of the team have impressed the staff with their work ethic in the offseason and they feel they are getting strong leadership from several members of the team. It also helps that some of the most talented players on the roster are leading the way in those workouts. It’s too early to gauge buy-in, but I haven’t heard very many negatives from the team since the new staff arrived and workouts started.

I feel Mike Roach should be morally, if not legally obligated to make all of his post updates something food related. Breakfast Bites was so obvious I can't believe we haven't seen it before today. Mike at Night clearly has to fucking go. Does Austin have an Ike's Love and Sandwiches? Because Mike at Ike's seems like an obvious replacement. The only thing holding us back is our creativity, people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

When Tom Herman first got to Texas, he remarked that he hadn’t watched any film on his team

You know, at the time I thought this was coachspeak. It didn't make a lot of sense, but I figured it was just something he was saying. Now, I'm 100% convinced he didn't feel the need to watch film of the team he was coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I feel Mike Roach should be morally, if not legally obligated to make all of his post updates something food related. Breakfast Bites was so obvious I can't believe we haven't seen it before today. Mike at Night clearly has to fucking go. Does Austin have an Ike's Love and Sandwiches? Because Mike at Ike's seems like an obvious replacement. The only thing holding us back is our creativity, people. 

"Mike Between Bites"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You know, at the time I thought this was coachspeak. It didn't make a lot of sense, but I figured it was just something he was saying. Now, I'm 100% convinced he didn't feel the need to watch film of the team he was coaching. 

Honestly yeah. It seems actually moronic and negligent not to watch prior film of the team you're tasked with coaching. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Linguist was probably Jimbo's worst recruiter, and now he's a threat to steal on of Texas' top in state DB targets from the far flung region of Michigan? Yeah I don't believe that Ears to the Street, 

Congrats to Mo for turning a shitcanning at Aggy into a promotion at Michigan. Only on a Jim Harbaugh staff. 

Member when Harbaugh made a huge push into recruiting Texas and got his ass handed to him by our worst coach ever? I member. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Honestly yeah. It seems actually moronic and negligent not to watch prior film of the team you're tasked with coaching. 

When you inherit a team as down as we were who put a lot of shitty play on tape, I can see why he did that at the time. Giving everyone a reset was probably a boost to guys who had underperformed. The situation is different for Sark, the roster is good and it is just a matter of getting the team to the next level. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

When you inherit a team as down as we were who put a lot of shitty play on tape, I can see why he did that at the time. Giving everyone a reset was probably a boost to guys who had underperformed. The situation is different for Sark, the roster is good and it is just a matter of getting the team to the next level. 

Even if the gameplay wasn't good you need to have a fundamental understanding of your players weaknesses and strengths from the film you watch to develop and grow them.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Even if the gameplay wasn't good you need to have a fundamental understanding of your players weaknesses and strengths from the film you watch to develop and grow them.

Did we have any actual confirmation that that wasn't just some coaching bullshit Herman told the media (and he actually did watch some amount of tape in private) or are people just taking what that dipshit said publicly at face value?

Granted, not watching any prior tape does seem very in line with Herman's personality.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting