Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

BLAIR ANGULO:  Anthony Jones reacts to latest Pac-12 offer

https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Jones-46099847/

(Committed to Washington, decommitted in Feb, talks to Kw)

Spoiler

Anthony Jones reacts to latest Pac-12 offer
BLAIR ANGULO

After a two-month commitment to Washington, three-star athlete Anthony Jones recently took a step back and re-opened his recruiting process.

The jumbo prospect from Henderson (Nev.) Liberty made his initial decision in mid December after visiting Seattle but has since garnered additional interest and opted to slow things down heading into the spring.

USC is the latest scholarship offer and it's a monumental one for the 6-foot-5, 242-pound Jones.

"It was crazy to get that offer, it actually happened while I was sleeping so I woke up to take that call from coach Todd Orlando," Jones told 247Sports. "I had been talking to him for a few days and he's been telling me they loved my film. There is big-time legacy there and the history speaks for itself. My cousin (Robert Woods) played there and I have been to campus a couple times, seen all the Heisman trophies and that is definitely inspiring knowing all the history of the school.

"Coach Orlando has been telling me they will be losing a couple guys at my edge position and they're looking for players that are physically ready and built to play right away. He told me if USC is a place I am interested in, it's a possibility to go in there and play from the jump so it's definitely a big option for me."

Oregon is another recent program to offer and Jones has been garnering added attention since backing off his pledge to the Huskies.

Jones was one of three players from reigning state champion Liberty headed to play for the Huskies at the next level along with four-star receiver Germie Bernard and three-star defensive tackle Sir Mells, who has also picked up an offer from the Trojans.

"I have a lot of family in Los Angeles, so I will be planning to go out there next month to see the campus again, look through things more thoroughly this time just knowing I have an offer to play there," Jones said. "I love coach Orlando already. He told me he’s not going to sugarcoat anything and will be straightforward at all times. I believe him for sure and I feel a good about that offer right now.

"I think I am going down to Oregon sometime next month. When I get to LA I'll probably make it out to UCLA as well since I have been talking with them a bit. I have been talking to coach K (Pete Kwiatkowski) at Texas and have also been connecting a lot more with Colorado as well."

Jones had a strong sophomore season in 2019 at Las Vegas (Nev.) Arbor View and followed that up with an impressive start to the off-season camp circuit before the ongoing recruiting dead period went into the place. Nearby UNLV became the first to enter the race for Jones and we could see his recruitment continue to take off this spring. Jones intends to play in a club football league to get some highlights together since the season for Clark County public schools has been cancelled.

As a sophomore, Jones had an impact on the defensive side of the ball and was credited with 37 total tackles.

Despite the absence of official visits and in-person meetings, the 2021 recruiting cycle was the most accelerated in recent memory, with 86.9 percent of FBS committed prospects signing in December. More than 75 percent of the total class had already come off the board by the end of the Early Signing Period when compared to the total that inked in the 2020 cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, JackBurton said:
Spoiler

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA): Matthews participated in the New Orleans Pylon 7 on 7 tournament this weekend where an out-of-market correspondent conducted this interview for IT.

On most important thing in a school:

“What's important to me is anything that's gonna set me up for life after football, financial-wise, me being a man? How will a school prepare me for something more than this?”

How does a school standout in conversation to show that it’s about more than just football?

“What they do most of the time is they just talk to you, man, instead of it being about football. They take my mind off football. They talk to me about my life and everything. Let me know what classes I can take. Let me know what I can do with what I'm majoring and what degree I could have, what could I do to make myself a lot of money and have a good life even if I’m not playing football.”

On what schools are recruiting him to play:

“Most every school is recruiting me as a three-down safety. Mississippi State is still talking to me about playing on either, or both, sides of the ball.”

On relationships with Texas coaches:

“It's been a close relationship since Coach Gideon was at Ole Miss. And you know, Coach Joseph was at Texas, and I've been hearing from them ever since my freshman year. So them moving there and being together? That's a good thing for me, cause I know them both. I just know I can trust that coaching staff.”

Message from Steve Sarkisian on what he’s trying to build/accomplish for kids at Texas:

“They really just want me to be three and out. To go there and finish with a degree and go on from their program to the NFL, it's as simple as that. They told me, word for word, they want me to have more than a 10 year career in the league, and then after that, they just want me to be wealthy and be able to take care of my family.”

ATH Ish Harris, Pilot Point (Pilot Point, TX): We’ve been wondering some about how Texas views the versatile 6-foot-4, 200 pounder. Like Lil‘Jordan Humphrey in high school, Harris is a taller athlete who plays running back. Harris also stars on the defensive side of the ball, and unlike Humphrey, that’s where he best projects. Texas is recruiting him for the Overshown role.

The info IT gathered from a source on the ground in Pilot Point tells us as much about Steve Sarkisian as it does Harris. Sark was the first head coach to contact him, and to this point, Sark and Jimbo Fisher are the only two head coaches to get involved. Fisher held a Zoom call with Harris last Wednesday.

Another indication of Sark’s involvement in the recruiting process: “Sark called an assistant Pilot Point coach during the ice storm to check on him; he is a Baylor grad and that impressed the hell out of him.” Shades of Mack Brown...”Now Bobby, make sure you have enough 87 octane for the generator. If you don’t, I’ll send Cleve on over.” *Harris commits from the warmth of Bobby’s house*

The source indicates Harris is wide open at this time. He has a top six of Texas, A&M, OU, Oklahoma State, Utah, and Baylor, with no known timeline to make a decision.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - Texas: The high profile Longhorn commit was at the Margin Hooks vs Christian “Flight” White workout on Sunday in Plano. The top portion of Stewart’s body we see every week, but the lower half — the athlete half — looks like an Olympian. You can probably gather from that disclaimer, because he’s so uncommon, Texas is going to have to recruit Stewart through the whistle.

After the workout IT caught up with Stewart along with Mike Roach of 247. Here are some quotes he gave us.

Mindset since his commitment:

”I just want to be the best wide receiver I can be. I want to be the greatest of all time, of course. I’m just striving to live out a dream.”

What’s he working on to become the best of all time:

”Top of my route, and my release work. I want to get better at both of those.”

How has his relationships improved since committing to Texas?

“I’ve grown in relationships with plenty of the staff members, especially B. Harris (Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris). I’ve been talking to him a lot lately.”

What does he like about Harris?

”He strictly reminds me of Jay, Coach Jay (Valai). I really like B. Harris. He knows how to recruit. He knows how to talk to a younger audience.”

Goals on the track this season:

”I’m trying to get that 100 to a 10.3 and I’m trying to break 21 in the 200. Then probably like 26, 25 in the long jump.”

On who he’s recruiting:

”The one I was working on was Bryan (Allen) and we got him so that was my assignment in the class, so I did my assignment.”

Communication with fellow commits:

“We’re all cool. We’re in a little group chat with Sark. We’re also in a group chat without Sark.”

Has recruiting quieted since he committed to UT?

“After my track meet last week, it got a little more riled up again. It’s calmed down a little bit.”

On visits:

“I’m different because I haven’t been anywhere. I’m going to make sure I visit Texas first, they’re always going to be first. But I think I want to see two campuses maybe.”

He declined to name the two schools outside of Texas who hold his interest but he does want to “investigate them“ and not just take visits.

Some of you will probably need to be held by your significant other after reading that last part, but that’s the nature of high stakes recruiting. Embrace it and trust the staff.

IT had the opportunity to speak to a source close to several prospects in the Houston area over the weekend. The source has believed that Kelvin Banks would end up at Texas since the hire of Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and that remains the case. Banks has Texas A&M and LSU in the top three with the Longhorns. The same source wasn't as confident on Kam Dewberry signing with Texas.

"Kelvin will end up Texas. Would be very surprised if he doesn't end up at Texas. With Kam, not sure. He could end up at Texas, or Texas A&M or Oklahoma," the knowledgeable source relayed to IT.

As IT has mentioned, Dewberry actually prefers Ohio State, but that will likely be too far from home at the end of the day. Texas A&M, Oklahoma or Texas is most likely at the end of the day. There is a family preference for Texas A&M, and there is also a strong liking of Sooners OL coach Bill Bedenbaugh.

Inside Texas attended the Klein Cain Relays on Saturday, and had the chance to check in with 2022 WR Matthew Golden.

The 5-foot-11, near 190-pound receiver with a 10.9 100-meter and 21'8.5" long jump to his credit early this spring, has TCU in the lead pack with Arkansas, Wisconsin and Houston. The news out of Saturday was the communication in the last week with both Texas and Oklahoma. Neither head coach has spoken with Golden, but both schools are definitely seriously evaluating the junior receiver, punt returner, punter and wildcat quarterback.

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) (2022): Texas remains in the hunt for the four-star receiver from Cali.

It'll be a numbers crunch at wide receiver for the 2022 class at Texas, and that's a good thing. At the moment, Williams is still loving the Horns.

"I definitely want to get down to Austin as soon as possible," said Williams. "(Coach Sark) is a California guy, so that fact that he shows love to his roots means a lot to me."

Alabama, Notre Dame, and Georgia are schools currently recruiting the 6-foot-2, 180-pounder. Each offers a different perspective for Williams.

It'll be interesting to see how those programs push, and even more interesting how eager he might be to leave the state.

TE Sean Sallis, Carrollton Creekview (2022): It seems that Jeff Banks might want a tight end for the 2022 cycle. Meet Sean Sallis.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound flex tight end holds six offers including Minnesota, Maryland, UConn, and New Mexico. That list may grow soon.

"The best part of recruiting is talking to coaches from around the country," said Sallis. "I always loved watching Texas play. The Red River Rivalry was my favorite game."

Sallis is slowly figuring out what he wants from his future school.

"I’m looking for a team that throws the ball to tight ends and lets me block on the edges," said Sallis.

He's been talking to Texas of late, as the staff continues to evaluate the position in the 2022 class.

"I love the new staff," Sallis said. "I have heard great things about Coach Sark and Coach Banks."

If UT us taking a tight end this cycle, Sallis is being monitored. He's got the unique skillset to be effective in the passing game, while being an eager and quality blocker in the run game.

OLB/WDE Derrick Brown, Texas High (2022): After grabbing a Texas offer last month, the UT staff has been slowly climbing up the charts for Brown.

Texas had a Zoom meeting with the three-star .87 composite over the weekend and continue to build its relationship with the long, athletic edge rusher.

"Texas is a school I've always watched," said Brown. "I hope to continue to get to know the staff and possibly visit."

He tallied 67 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, six sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and one interception in 2020. That was good enough for 23 offers, including OU, Arkansas, Colorado, Penn State, and Utah, who offered on Saturday.

While the Sooners seem to be the team to beat, Arkansas and Colorado are making credible pushes as well.

Texas sits in a good spot today, and will continue to pursue the multi-sport stud.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

“It's been a close relationship since Coach Gideon was at Ole Miss. And you know, Coach Joseph was at Texas, and I've been hearing from them ever since my freshman year. So them moving there and being together? That's a good thing for me, cause I know them both. I just know I can trust that coaching staff.”

hahaha. 

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

With Kam, not sure. He could end up at Texas, or Texas A&M or Oklahoma," the knowledgeable source relayed to IT.

As IT has mentioned, Dewberry actually prefers Ohio State, but that will likely be too far from home at the end of the day. Texas A&M, Oklahoma or Texas is most likely at the end of the day. There is a family preference for Texas A&M, and there is also a strong liking of Sooners OL coach Bill Bedenbaugh.

Dewberry has the classic feel of a guy that was rated higher but is fading and will end up at aggy. Pushing his decision back to ESD only exacerbates that feeling. Texas doesn't seem to be pushing super hard for him and I don't know a lot about the Sooners big board, but I know that Bedenbaugh talks daily with Malik Agbo and Dave Iuli, Dewberry? Not so much. Would not be surprised to see LSU throw their hat in the ring late and make a run vs. aggy - as several of their OT targets are heading elsewhere. 

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA): Matthews participated in the New Orleans Pylon 7 on 7 tournament this weekend where an out-of-market correspondent conducted this interview for IT.

On most important thing in a school:

“What's important to me is anything that's gonna set me up for life after football, financial-wise, me being a man? How will a school prepare me for something more than this?”

How does a school standout in conversation to show that it’s about more than just football?

“What they do most of the time is they just talk to you, man, instead of it being about football. They take my mind off football. They talk to me about my life and everything. Let me know what classes I can take. Let me know what I can do with what I'm majoring and what degree I could have, what could I do to make myself a lot of money and have a good life even if I’m not playing football.”

On what schools are recruiting him to play:

“Most every school is recruiting me as a three-down safety. Mississippi State is still talking to me about playing on either, or both, sides of the ball.”

Message from Steve Sarkisian on what he’s trying to build/accomplish for kids at Texas:

“They really just want me to be three and out. To go there and finish with a degree and go on from their program to the NFL, it's as simple as that. They told me, word for word, they want me to have more than a 10 year career in the league, and then after that, they just want me to be wealthy and be able to take care of my family.”

ATH Ish Harris, Pilot Point (Pilot Point, TX): We’ve been wondering some about how Texas views the versatile 6-foot-4, 200 pounder. Like Lil‘Jordan Humphrey in high school, Harris is a taller athlete who plays running back. Harris also stars on the defensive side of the ball, and unlike Humphrey, that’s where he best projects. Texas is recruiting him for the Overshown role.

The info IT gathered from a source on the ground in Pilot Point tells us as much about Steve Sarkisian as it does Harris. Sark was the first head coach to contact him, and to this point, Sark and Jimbo Fisher are the only two head coaches to get involved. Fisher held a Zoom call with Harris last Wednesday.

Another indication of Sark’s involvement in the recruiting process: “Sark called an assistant Pilot Point coach during the ice storm to check on him; he is a Baylor grad and that impressed the hell out of him.” Shades of Mack Brown...”Now Bobby, make sure you have enough 87 octane for the generator. If you don’t, I’ll send Cleve on over.” *Harris commits from the warmth of Bobby’s house*

The source indicates Harris is wide open at this time. He has a top six of Texas, A&M, OU, Oklahoma State, Utah, and Baylor, with no known timeline to make a decision.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - Texas: The high profile Longhorn commit was at the Margin Hooks vs Christian “Flight” White workout on Sunday in Plano. The top portion of Stewart’s body we see every week, but the lower half — the athlete half — looks like an Olympian. You can probably gather from that disclaimer, because he’s so uncommon, Texas is going to have to recruit Stewart through the whistle.

After the workout IT caught up with Stewart along with Mike Roach of 247. Here are some quotes he gave us.

Mindset since his commitment:

”I just want to be the best wide receiver I can be. I want to be the greatest of all time, of course. I’m just striving to live out a dream.”

What’s he working on to become the best of all time:

”Top of my route, and my release work. I want to get better at both of those.”

How has his relationships improved since committing to Texas?

“I’ve grown in relationships with plenty of the staff members, especially B. Harris (Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris). I’ve been talking to him a lot lately.”

What does he like about Harris?

”He strictly reminds me of Jay, Coach Jay (Valai). I really like B. Harris. He knows how to recruit. He knows how to talk to a younger audience.”

Goals on the track this season:

”I’m trying to get that 100 to a 10.3 and I’m trying to break 21 in the 200. Then probably like 26, 25 in the long jump.”

On who he’s recruiting:

”The one I was working on was Bryan (Allen) and we got him so that was my assignment in the class, so I did my assignment.”

Communication with fellow commits:

“We’re all cool. We’re in a little group chat with Sark. We’re also in a group chat without Sark.”

Has recruiting quieted since he committed to UT?

“After my track meet last week, it got a little more riled up again. It’s calmed down a little bit.”

On visits:

“I’m different because I haven’t been anywhere. I’m going to make sure I visit Texas first, they’re always going to be first. But I think I want to see two campuses maybe.”

He declined to name the two schools outside of Texas who hold his interest but he does want to “investigate them“ and not just take visits.

Some of you will probably need to be held by your significant other after reading that last part, but that’s the nature of high stakes recruiting. Embrace it and trust the staff.

IT had the opportunity to speak to a source close to several prospects in the Houston area over the weekend. The source has believed that Kelvin Banks would end up at Texas since the hire of Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and that remains the case. Banks has Texas A&M and LSU in the top three with the Longhorns. The same source wasn't as confident on Kam Dewberry signing with Texas.

"Kelvin will end up Texas. Would be very surprised if he doesn't end up at Texas. With Kam, not sure. He could end up at Texas, or Texas A&M or Oklahoma," the knowledgeable source relayed to IT.

Inside Texas attended the Klein Cain Relays on Saturday, and had the chance to check in with 2022 WR Matthew Golden.

The 5-foot-11, near 190-pound receiver with a 10.9 100-meter and 21'8.5" long jump to his credit early this spring, has TCU in the lead pack with Arkansas, Wisconsin and Houston. The news out of Saturday was the communication in the last week with both Texas and Oklahoma. Neither head coach has spoken with Golden, but both schools are definitely seriously evaluating the junior receiver, punt returner, punter and wildcat quarterback.

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) (2022): Texas remains in the hunt for the four-star receiver from Cali.

It'll be a numbers crunch at wide receiver for the 2022 class at Texas, and that's a good thing. At the moment, Williams is still loving the Horns.

"I definitely want to get down to Austin as soon as possible," said Williams. "(Coach Sark) is a California guy, so that fact that he shows love to his roots means a lot to me."

Alabama, Notre Dame, and Georgia are schools currently recruiting the 6-foot-2, 180-pounder. Each offers a different perspective for Williams.

It'll be interesting to see how those programs push, and even more interesting how eager he might be to leave the state.

TE Sean Sallis, Carrollton Creekview (2022): It seems that Jeff Banks might want a tight end for the 2022 cycle. Meet Sean Sallis.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound flex tight end holds six offers including Minnesota, Maryland, UConn, and New Mexico. That list may grow soon.

"The best part of recruiting is talking to coaches from around the country," said Sallis. "I always loved watching Texas play. The Red River Rivalry was my favorite game."

Sallis is slowly figuring out what he wants from his future school.

"I’m looking for a team that throws the ball to tight ends and lets me block on the edges," said Sallis.

He's been talking to Texas of late, as the staff continues to evaluate the position in the 2022 class.

"I love the new staff," Sallis said. "I have heard great things about Coach Sark and Coach Banks."

If UT us taking a tight end this cycle, Sallis is being monitored. He's got the unique skillset to be effective in the passing game, while being an eager and quality blocker in the run game.

OLB/WDE Derrick Brown, Texas High (2022): After grabbing a Texas offer last month, the UT staff has been slowly climbing up the charts for Brown.

Texas had a Zoom meeting with the three-star .87 composite over the weekend and continue to build its relationship with the long, athletic edge rusher.

"Texas is a school I've always watched," said Brown. "I hope to continue to get to know the staff and possibly visit."

He tallied 67 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, six sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and one interception in 2020. That was good enough for 23 offers, including OU, Arkansas, Colorado, Penn State, and Utah, who offered on Saturday.

While the Sooners seem to be the team to beat, Arkansas and Colorado are making credible pushes as well.

Texas sits in a good spot today, and will continue to pursue the multi-sport stud.

Would be great if Bama filled up at WR re:Stewart

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What's the opinion on Hutson from the OL knowers of the board (cough @Burt Macklin cough)? He seems to get the least pub of any of our real targets, even below Robertson.

I’ve watched 0 film on Hutson  and confused him once with a 2023 OL, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Burt Macklin

Roach on Neat-o

Spoiler

Neto Umeozulu saw his stock take off after hitting the radar last summer. The four-star offensive lineman from Allen (Texas) has been seeing a ton of attention but he isn’t letting it go to his head right now.

“It is what it is,” he said. “Everybody’s offering but I don’t let it get to my head. I keep working and keep my head down. I don’t get complacent.”

Umeozulu isn’t close to narrowing things down yet. As he continues to build relationships with the different staffs recruiting him, he’s giving everyone a fair shot.

“I’ve still got an open mind,” Umeozulu said. “I’ve got to take my visits and everything so it’s fair game with everybody.”

Texas is in that mix, and Umeozulu said the staff has been consistent with the contact.

“They’re consistent,” he said. “I talk with (Kyle) Flood, Sark, (Jeff) Banks and coach (Chris) Gilbert. I talk with those guys a lot.”

Umeozulu took notice of the fast start the Texas class was able to get off to. He’s been talking with several other Texas commits and targets about his future.

“They’ve been landing a lot of recruits. A lot of guys have been coming for me too,” he said. “I talk to Evan (Stewart) a little bit and I’ve talked to Connor Robertson. He’s not committed but we talk about Texas with him being in Austin at Westlake.”

The message from coaches and recruits is pretty clear. They want to build something new, and they want Umeozulu to be a part of it.

“They’re building something special,” he said. “The coaching staff said they want to build something strong up front.”

Umeozulu and his family are starting to plan some spring trips. They will look for some in-state locations first, and Texas is on the list to get a trip.

“We’re trying to work out some unofficials or officials,” he said. “It might push back the timeline a bit, but it is what it is. I’m going to take some in-state trips after spring break. I’m going to Baylor and Texas first.”

At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, Umeozulu is ranked as the No. 7 offensive guard in the country and No. 38 overall propsect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What's the opinion on Hutson from the OL knowers of the board (cough @Burt Macklin cough)? He seems to get the least pub of any of our real targets, even below Robertson.

Sounds like he was originally thought to have been guard specific, but he keeps growing and is now almost 6'6, so he might be thought of as a OG/RT swing guy instead

OU really wants him 

30 minutes ago, Fud said:

Umeozulu took notice of the fast start the Texas class was able to get off to. He’s been talking with several other Texas commits and targets about his future.

“They’ve been landing a lot of recruits. A lot of guys have been coming for me too,” he said. “I talk to Evan (Stewart) a little bit and I’ve talked to Connor Robertson. He’s not committed but we talk about Texas with him being in Austin at Westlake.”

The message from coaches and recruits is pretty clear. They want to build something new, and they want Umeozulu to be a part of

Time for Connor to go ahead and make it official. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Wasn't Wells saying we basically stopped talking to this guy?

No, TFB said that, and it wasn't true. Texas is recruiting him hard 

Not that we have much of a chance with him anyway. His parents are sooner honks and he really likes Ohio State, and his parents would probably push him to Ohio State over Texas if it isn't OU 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

No, TFB said that, and it wasn't true. Texas is recruiting him hard 

Not that we have much of a chance with him anyway. His parents are sooner honks and he really likes Ohio State, and his parents would probably push him to Ohio State over Texas if it isn't OU 

Ah that makes more sense. I guess it's not a bad thing to recruit  one of the top in-state DEs until the end though.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Any olineman committing would be huge, regardless of ranking, since we spent the last year frantically offering every private school and 6 man OT and couldn’t even reel them in. If I have to watch tape of one more slow, weak, 6’6 225 pound “tackle” block a bunch of small children while standing perfectly straight I am going to kill myself. 

I watched the Tate Williams video as well. 

• Haha 2

If Maalik looks good in his five game season, I don't see the need for a second QB in the class not named Ewers 
Exactly this. His team doesnt look great, and the schedule posted has some heavyweight Cali privates on it. If he can rise above what his team appears to be capable of, he will be fine as the only QB this year. With the transfer portal being what it is these days, taking two potential starting QB's each year isnt as important as it used to be.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, Fud said:
If Maalik looks good in his five game season, I don't see the need for a second QB in the class not named Ewers 

Exactly this. His team doesnt look great, and the schedule posted has some heavyweight Cali privates on it. If he can rise above what his team appears to be capable of, he will be fine as the only QB this year. With the transfer portal being what it is these days, taking two potential starting QB's each year isnt as important as it used to be.

He will need to throw passes to himself. His WRs were regularly dropping routine catches in that practice vid

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Any olineman committing would be huge, regardless of ranking, since we spent the last year frantically offering every private school and 6 man OT and couldn’t even reel them in.

Yeah, this. 

If we could lock in the supposed leans soon and have Campbell, Banks, and Robertson in the boat that would be amazing. Would set a really high floor for that position after last year. Then fill the rest of the class with 2 or 3 out of Dewberry, Hudson, Neto, Agbo, late risers, whoever. And shoot your shot with Rice and the other big OOS guys as long as the entire class doesn't depend on them. 

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He will need to throw passes to himself. His WRs were regularly dropping routine catches in that practice vid

This. I don't really care either way about his high school season. The only thing a good season will do is keep his ranking high, which doesn't matter for shit. 

Them taking a 2nd qb only depends on whether Thompson or Card transfers. If Thompson wins the battle I expect Card to stick around and we'll only take 1. I'm guessing Ewers is the only 2nd qb that they would take a commitment from in any scenario.

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

This. I don't really care either way about his high school season. The only thing a good season will do is keep his ranking high, which doesn't matter for shit. 

Them taking a 2nd qb only depends on whether Thompson or Card transfers. If Thompson wins the battle I expect Card to stick around and we'll only take 1. I'm guessing Ewers is the only 2nd qb that they would take a commitment from in any scenario.

I mean, there is so much you can still glean about a QB even if his WRs are trash. Don't turn into aggy talking about Haynes King's senior season.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

hahaha. 

Dewberry has the classic feel of a guy that was rated higher but is fading and will end up at aggy. Pushing his decision back to ESD only exacerbates that feeling. Texas doesn't seem to be pushing super hard for him and I don't know a lot about the Sooners big board, but I know that Bedenbaugh talks daily with Malik Agbo and Dave Iuli, Dewberry? Not so much. Would not be surprised to see LSU throw their hat in the ring late and make a run vs. aggy - as several of their OT targets are heading elsewhere. 

Excuse me sir, but Rivals just bumped Dewberry up to #14 in the entire country, so it’s obvious one of you does not know what they’re talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

This is nonsense. Seeing him actually produce while playing real football matters. Saying you don’t care if he has a good season is just dumb. 

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, there is so much you can still glean about a QB even if his WRs are trash. Don't turn into aggy talking about Haynes King's senior season.

Alright don't take it that literally.  If he puts on THAT bad of a season then they should go ahead and grab somebody else too. 

I'm assuming he's more likely to have an average season than a completely shitty one. It's not like he's going to be tossing up wounded ducks. His "noodle arm" isn't exactly the same as that noodle arm.

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is nonsense. Seeing him actually produce while playing real football matters. Saying you don’t care if he has a good season is just dumb. 

To an extent, but if his receivers regularly drop balls it affects a quarterback's game. Does he loft passes and risk interceptions? Does he drill it and hurt his completion percentage? Does he tuck it and run when he should pass? Does he skip an open receiver and throw it into a tight window to a receiver with better hands? It isn't an easy decision for a quarterback to make and having a bunch of armchair quarterbacks second guess the decisions makes it even more difficult.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

To an extent, but if his receivers regularly drop balls it affects a quarterback's game. Does he loft passes and risk interceptions? Does he drill it and hurt his completion percentage? Does he tuck it and run when he should pass? Does he skip an open receiver and throw it into a tight window to a receiver with better hands? It isn't an easy decision for a quarterback to make and having a bunch of armchair quarterbacks second guess the decisions makes it even more difficult.

They have a tough schedule, but Their team’s been above .500 the last two years. Let’s not start making aggy-like excuses for the guy before he’s even played a down yet.  And as has already been pointed out to you, the prior QB was able to put up good stats and get a D1 scholarship.  

If his teammates are actually that bad, then it’s possible to take that into account when evaluating him. It still matters if he plays well. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

As long as Malik is out there having fun and trying his best and making lifelong memories with his friends I’ll be happy. Maybe the real commitment is to the friends he makes along the way. 

We're all winners in life.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They have a tough schedule, but Their team’s been above .500 the last two years. Let’s not start making aggy-like excuses for the guy before he’s even played a down yet.  And as has already been pointed out to you, the prior QB was able to put up good stats and get a D1 scholarship.  

If his teammates are actually that bad, then it’s possible to take that into account when evaluating him. It still matters if he plays well. 

They went 1-4 in league play last year, and they’re playing almost exclusively league games in this shortened seasoned. They probably aren’t going to be great.

But people who know what they’re doing know how to evaluate good players on bad teams. The staff will see (or not see) what they need to. Most of this board probably won’t though.

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

Tyrone Swoopes agrees with this statement. Winning doesn’t mean shit and is indicative of nothing. 

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting