Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

It really makes you wonder just how much further advanced Maalik would be if he had a Todd Dodge coaching him up.
Kinda frustrating reading that article where it says he could have gone to one of the high powered privates, but grew up wanting to be the QB for Serra and wouldnt consider playing anywhere else

7 hours ago, ousux said:

Kinda frustrating reading that article where it says he could have gone to one of the high powered privates, but grew up wanting to be the QB for Serra and wouldnt consider playing anywhere elseemoji85.png

Which is the strangest thing I’ve heard.  Serra is a tiny ass school in Gardena with like 500 kids. I mean shit he could have went to Inglewood or narbonne and had more talent around him or 45 min to Mater dai 

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Which is the strangest thing I’ve heard.  Serra is a tiny ass school in Gardena with like 500 kids. I mean shit he could have went to Inglewood or narbonne and had more talent around him or 45 min to Mater dai 

Seriously. California is SO much more mercenary when it comes to high school sports. I can't imagine growing up just dying to play for any of my local schools.

59 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Seriously. California is SO much more mercenary when it comes to high school sports. I can't imagine growing up just dying to play for any of my local schools.

Ya I went to a public school in LA that had a 40-50 game losing streak when I entered and never won more than 2-3 games I believe in my time there. The few legitimate players would go out of district or private to actually have a shot at a scholly. Then a few NFL involved people decided to make it their personal project, legitimate high major prospects magically then end up living in the district and the school became a powerhouse and state contender basically overnight.

Some of the players who will be at the UA All American Camp in DFW tomorrow.

Spoiler

Devon Campbell, OL, Arlington Bowie
Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Legacy
Jordan Hudson, WR, Garland (OU commit)
Armani Winfield, WR (Texas commit)
Kelvin Banks, OL, Humble Summer Creek
Ernest Cooper, DL, Arlington Martin
Cole Hutson, OL, Frisco
Bryan Allen, DB, Aledo (Texas commit)
Patrick Williams, OL (Texas A&M commit)
Bryce Anderson, DB, Beaumont West Brook
Jamarion Miller, RB, Tyler Legacy
Jaylen Early, OL, Duncanville
Kameron Dewberry, OL, Humble Atascocita
Cameron Williams, OL, Duncanville
Bear Alexander, DL (Georgia commit)
Terrance Brooks, DB, Pope John Paul II
Kristopher Ross, DL, North Shore
Neto Umeozulu, OL, Allen
Kyron Chambers, CB, South Oak Cliff
Torami Dixon, DE, West Rusk
Alvin Ebosele, OL, Coppell
Jay Fair, WR, Rockwell-Heath
Stephon Johnson, WR, Lancaster
Tavorus Jones, RB, El Paso Burges
Jarred Kerr, DB, Lexington
Kip Lewis, LB, Carthage
Owen McCown, QB, Rusk

Edited by Machinator

STEVE WILTFONG:  Inside five-star OT Kelvin Banks Jr recruiting process and top schools

Spoiler

Inside five-star OT Kelvin Banks Jr recruiting process and top schools
STEVE WILTFONG

None of the attention five-star offensive tackle Kelvin Banks Jr. has garnered and earned has surprised his father.

In a way the elder Banks kind of expected it would come.

“When he was little, I’d say about four-years old, I always said he’d be different because he always had the mindset and the attitude, he was always two steps ahead of everybody,” Banks Sr. said. “He’s a thinker. He’s always in control of the game he plays. He thinks on his feet and with his mind.”

Banks Sr. says that all still applies for his second son who is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the nation's No. 2 offensive tackle and by the Top247 as the No. 24 prospect overall. The Humble (Texas) Summer Creek blue-chipper is a nimble, yet devastating blocker who finds himself on the honor roll off the field.

“Overall he’s an A, B student and he works hard, just like he works hard on the field, he works hard off the field, even harder,” the elder Banks said.

All those traits saw the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Banks garner scholarship offers from just about every powerhouse program in the land and this week he narrowed his list of suitors to eight in Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Oregon and Ole Miss. The three in best position right now are the Longhorns, Aggies and Tigers.

“It’s kind of like all those coaches are genuine,” Banks Jr. said. “I talk to all three head coaches a few times a week. just being themselves and being in good communication.”

But Banks and his family look forward to getting to know more about the others and see most of them with their own eyes before making any kind of decision. He has two officials locked in, one to see Oklahoma State the weekend of June 11 and then to College Station to check out the Aggies on June 18.

Banks elaborated on the two in-state powers and LSU.

Regarding the Aggies: “Their coaching staff is great. On my birthday which was March 10 they had a whole birthday thing for me, that was cool. They have great personalities there and their program is wonderful. They can develop me.”

Regarding the Longhorns: “I like Coach Sark. He’s a great guy. I’ve been Zooming a lot with him. There are times he jokes a lot but when it’s time to go its time to go. I’ve been up there for a visit before, it was with the old staff and I know what everything looks like. It was pretty and it was a nice place.”

Regarding LSU: “Coach Cregg and Coach O are great coaches and always talking to me and communicating with me and that’s great as well.”

Banks used to live in Louisiana as well. Those programs have made an impression on his father too.

“He pretty much has a good rapport with all of them but he’s been really into UT and A&M and like LSU,” the elder Banks said of the finalists. “Those are the main people he’s really looking at. UT I’ve always liked them. They’re a great school. They’re part of Texas. I always liked that group, got some good coaches in there, we’ve always been UT fans. A&M they have a good program. Jimbo he’s a good coach. We had a chance to sit down and talk with him and he’s pretty good at what he does and I like the school overall. LSU, Coach O, I like him too. My wife is from Louisiana and we used to live down there for awhile. They have a good atmosphere and we also like the coaches.”

As thoughtful as Banks is, you can imagine he plans to leave no stone unturned in trimming this list from eight to one. His dad says his son will major in education as he aspires to coach down the road.

“The most important thing I would say, it’s not just a school it's a home as well,” Banks Jr. said of what he’s looking for. “That will be the most important thing in my recruitment.”

“We’re going to take a couple visits before he makes a decision,” Banks Sr. said. “We want to take visits and we’ll make a decision from there. If we can we want to pretty much see everybody in his eight.”

Banks is keeping tabs on what some of peers are doing like Jaydon Blue who is committed to Texas, Donovan Green who is a verbal to the Aggies and Kam Dewberry who has yet to declare. Those are guys he would like to play with if it works out, but with that, “I’ll make my own decision knowing it’s the best fit for me.”

Playing on the offensive line has fit Banks quite well. When his father thinks back on his son being four-years old, he’s reminiscing about a kid that began playing football under center at quarterback.

“We were on the Cougars at that particular time and we were actually throwing the ball at four-years old,” the elder Banks laughed.

Banks eventually found himself playing running back and defensive end before finding his home between the chalk on the offensive front.

“I’ve always liked blocking more than having the ball,” Banks said. “You can be your own independent player. You don’t have to rely on others to help you. You’re on an island basically you versus the person you’re going against.”

Banks doesn’t lose too many of those.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Gerry Hamilton) What is next? Evan Stewart talks recruiting with IT

Spoiler

When Evan Stewart backed off his commitment to Texas, it sent shockwaves throughout the Longhorn fan base.

On Saturday, IT caught up with the explosive playmaker to get a feel for where Stewart’s recruitment stands headed following the March 11 decommitment.

Inside Texas: What led to your decision to decommit?

Evan Stewart: “I just wanted to basically take a ll my visits. I was just thinking about it, and I haven’t really been up there (Texas). So I just said let me take my visits, and be patient with everything,”

IT: Did You inform the Texas staff before decommitting?

ES: “I texted Sark. We were talking, but he didn’t hit me back after. (Brandon) Harris is the main one I have been talking to since,”

IT: Was there any negative recruiting that led to your decision?

ES: “There is a little bit of that. There is always going to be some of that, but not much though. I just want to take my visits,”

IT: What is next in the process for you?

ES: “Hopefully, when things open up, makes some visits. I want to go to Texas, of course, Texas A&M, Florida, LSU and Alabama. Possibly Georgia too,”

IT: What other coaching staffs are doing a good job building relationships with you?

ES: “Coach Jay (Valai), we have always had a good bond, and Coach Wiggins too. Coach Hankton from Georgia and Coach Billy (Gonzales) from Florida,”

IT: What will you be looking for when you make visits this summer?

ES: “I’m really going to be asking more questions when I make visits. How they vibe with each other, and how the vibe is with the players and coaches,”

IT: Do you have a timetable for making a decision?

ES: “Hopefully before the season. That’s really what I’m aiming for,”

Stewart said he plans to go through the visit process with his father.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

(Gerry Hamilton) What is next? Evan Stewart talks recruiting with IT

Hide contents

When Evan Stewart backed off his commitment to Texas, it sent shockwaves throughout the Longhorn fan base.

On Saturday, IT caught up with the explosive playmaker to get a feel for where Stewart’s recruitment stands headed following the March 11 decommitment.

Inside Texas: What led to your decision to decommit?

Evan Stewart: “I just wanted to basically take a ll my visits. I was just thinking about it, and I haven’t really been up there (Texas). So I just said let me take my visits, and be patient with everything,”

IT: Did You inform the Texas staff before decommitting?

ES: “I texted Sark. We were talking, but he didn’t hit me back after. (Brandon) Harris is the main one I have been talking to since,”

IT: Was there any negative recruiting that led to your decision?

ES: “There is a little bit of that. There is always going to be some of that, but not much though. I just want to take my visits,”

IT: What is next in the process for you?

ES: “Hopefully, when things open up, makes some visits. I want to go to Texas, of course, Texas A&M, Florida, LSU and Alabama. Possibly Georgia too,”

IT: What other coaching staffs are doing a good job building relationships with you?

ES: “Coach Jay (Valai), we have always had a good bond, and Coach Wiggins too. Coach Hankton from Georgia and Coach Billy (Gonzales) from Florida,”

IT: What will you be looking for when you make visits this summer?

ES: “I’m really going to be asking more questions when I make visits. How they vibe with each other, and how the vibe is with the players and coaches,”

IT: Do you have a timetable for making a decision?

ES: “Hopefully before the season. That’s really what I’m aiming for,”

Stewart said he plans to go through the visit process with his father.

Pretty much confirms what I hoped wouldn't be the case. Valai is trying to fuck us and Georgia is probably making some ridiculous bids. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG:  Inside five-star OT Kelvin Banks Jr recruiting process and top schools

Hide contents

Inside five-star OT Kelvin Banks Jr recruiting process and top schools
STEVE WILTFONG

None of the attention five-star offensive tackle Kelvin Banks Jr. has garnered and earned has surprised his father.

In a way the elder Banks kind of expected it would come.

“When he was little, I’d say about four-years old, I always said he’d be different because he always had the mindset and the attitude, he was always two steps ahead of everybody,” Banks Sr. said. “He’s a thinker. He’s always in control of the game he plays. He thinks on his feet and with his mind.”

Banks Sr. says that all still applies for his second son who is tabbed by the 247Sports Composite as the nation's No. 2 offensive tackle and by the Top247 as the No. 24 prospect overall. The Humble (Texas) Summer Creek blue-chipper is a nimble, yet devastating blocker who finds himself on the honor roll off the field.

“Overall he’s an A, B student and he works hard, just like he works hard on the field, he works hard off the field, even harder,” the elder Banks said.

All those traits saw the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Banks garner scholarship offers from just about every powerhouse program in the land and this week he narrowed his list of suitors to eight in Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Oregon and Ole Miss. The three in best position right now are the Longhorns, Aggies and Tigers.

“It’s kind of like all those coaches are genuine,” Banks Jr. said. “I talk to all three head coaches a few times a week. just being themselves and being in good communication.”

But Banks and his family look forward to getting to know more about the others and see most of them with their own eyes before making any kind of decision. He has two officials locked in, one to see Oklahoma State the weekend of June 11 and then to College Station to check out the Aggies on June 18.

Banks elaborated on the two in-state powers and LSU.

Regarding the Aggies: “Their coaching staff is great. On my birthday which was March 10 they had a whole birthday thing for me, that was cool. They have great personalities there and their program is wonderful. They can develop me.”

Regarding the Longhorns: “I like Coach Sark. He’s a great guy. I’ve been Zooming a lot with him. There are times he jokes a lot but when it’s time to go its time to go. I’ve been up there for a visit before, it was with the old staff and I know what everything looks like. It was pretty and it was a nice place.”

Regarding LSU: “Coach Cregg and Coach O are great coaches and always talking to me and communicating with me and that’s great as well.”

Banks used to live in Louisiana as well. Those programs have made an impression on his father too.

“He pretty much has a good rapport with all of them but he’s been really into UT and A&M and like LSU,” the elder Banks said of the finalists. “Those are the main people he’s really looking at. UT I’ve always liked them. They’re a great school. They’re part of Texas. I always liked that group, got some good coaches in there, we’ve always been UT fans. A&M they have a good program. Jimbo he’s a good coach. We had a chance to sit down and talk with him and he’s pretty good at what he does and I like the school overall. LSU, Coach O, I like him too. My wife is from Louisiana and we used to live down there for awhile. They have a good atmosphere and we also like the coaches.”

As thoughtful as Banks is, you can imagine he plans to leave no stone unturned in trimming this list from eight to one. His dad says his son will major in education as he aspires to coach down the road.

“The most important thing I would say, it’s not just a school it's a home as well,” Banks Jr. said of what he’s looking for. “That will be the most important thing in my recruitment.”

“We’re going to take a couple visits before he makes a decision,” Banks Sr. said. “We want to take visits and we’ll make a decision from there. If we can we want to pretty much see everybody in his eight.”

Banks is keeping tabs on what some of peers are doing like Jaydon Blue who is committed to Texas, Donovan Green who is a verbal to the Aggies and Kam Dewberry who has yet to declare. Those are guys he would like to play with if it works out, but with that, “I’ll make my own decision knowing it’s the best fit for me.”

Playing on the offensive line has fit Banks quite well. When his father thinks back on his son being four-years old, he’s reminiscing about a kid that began playing football under center at quarterback.

“We were on the Cougars at that particular time and we were actually throwing the ball at four-years old,” the elder Banks laughed.

Banks eventually found himself playing running back and defensive end before finding his home between the chalk on the offensive front.

“I’ve always liked blocking more than having the ball,” Banks said. “You can be your own independent player. You don’t have to rely on others to help you. You’re on an island basically you versus the person you’re going against.”

Banks doesn’t lose too many of those.

I like his dad's quotes here. Basically makes it sounds like us vs ATM (no surprise) but dad's quotes are way more effusive for UT

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting