Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Winfield is currently solid but have to think he's the most likely of those three, yeah? Him committing at halftime of the natty smacks of a bit of a snap decision...hopefully we don't give him a reason to look around. Official visits are going to be a rollercoaster this summer.
Snap decision based on what he was seeing from Sarks offense. But yeah..none of these guys are signed yet, and as Bru demonstrated, even wearing practice gear and working out with the team doesnt mean what it used to.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Both Roach and Gerry are suspect of the reports on Winfield's timed 40.

lol. Gerry is skeptical? What an unexpected development! 

that being said I don’t understand how his alleged time hasn’t been confirmed or denied at this point. I absolutely don’t get the uncertainty. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Recruiting overload from a busy weekend

Spring brings about the busiest time of the year when it comes to recruiting events. This past weekend was one of the craziest when it comes to schedules, but Horns247 has you covered like no place else in the market. We had boots on the ground at Endzone's 7-on-7 tournament in Houston and Pylon's 7v7 tournament in Atlanta on Saturday, and we also had extensive coverage of Under Armour's Dallas camp on Sunday. UA served as the first major camp to be held in Texas since COVID-19 forced a shutdown a year ago.

Throughout the weekend, we were able to see many major targets and talk to sources regarding most of the recruits on the Texas board. After a week that saw Texas lose a big commitment from Evan Stewart, Texas looks to bounce back and get into the win column again. In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we drop a boatload of notes on Texas recruiting targets.
Texas making a move with elite defender

From the moment Harold Perkins started picking up major buzz last spring, his recruitment has been relatively wide open. In the time since, he has emerged as a composite five-star prospect and the No. 1 linebacker in the country, and now he is starting to get an idea of which schools could be contenders moving forward.

In the fall, Texas sat on the outside looking in at best, but behind a spirited effort from Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks, the Longhorns are now squarely in the mix as Perkins begins to get an idea of where he wants to take visits when the dead period is lifted. Communication between the two parties has been described as “daily.” Perkins and Jeff Banks have a long-standing relationship going back to Banks’ days at Alabama as that momentum has carried over to Banks’ current assignment in Austin. The Crimson Tide remains in the picture along with Texas A&M, USC, LSU, Florida and Oklahoma.

This recruitment will require patience as Perkins plans to take his time and see all of the schools that he is intrigued by. The in-state schools will most likely get unofficial visits while out-of-state schools will see official visits when/if the dead period is lifted. While this has been a crowded race from the get-go with very few programs getting cut from consideration, the Longhorns have made themselves a contender moving forward with an important visit season possibly looming in the summer. (Nick Harris)
Longhorns looking to recruit the boot

Texas has never tried to make Louisiana a fertile recruiting ground under the last few staffs, but that could be changing moving forward. In talking with a number of Louisiana prospects in recent weeks, Texas is starting to generate some buzz. A big part of that are the Louisiana ties on staff. Texas cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph is a New Orleans native who recruited the state for years. Texas director of recruiting Brandon Harris is a native of Bossier City (LA.) and former quarterback at LSU. New Texas analyst Cordae Hankton is also a native of New Orleans with experience as a high school coach.

Those ties have the Longhorns in the mix for some of the best in Louisiana. In 2022, the big target is Jacoby Mathews. The Ponchatoula (LA.) safety is one of the best in the country, and Texas is a legitimate contender. Mathews recently released a Top 6 with Texas involved, and a source told Horns247 over the weekend that the Longhorns are in the Top 3. The competition seems to be LSU and Florida, but there are some out there who feel Texas will come away with his commitment. Two separate sources I spoke with seem to think Texas could do enough to win that commitment sooner rather than later.

Mathews told Horns247 that his commitment could come at any time and he has a strong relationship with the coaches at Texas. Mathews specifically mentioned Joseph and Harris as a big part of the push to land him.

Shazz Preston is another big target for Texas. The big time wide receiver from Saint James (LA.) also mentioned Texas as a school he has significant interest in. He mentioned his contact with Andre Coleman and occasionally Steve Sarkisian, but Harris and Hankton have also been involved there. Preston still seems fairly open, but he feels Steve Sarkisian’s offense is one that would fit him personally.

Lake Charles (LA.) Prep running back TreVonte’ Citizen mentioned the Longhorns first when it came to the schools recruiting him the hardest at the moment. The big back said that he likes Stan Drayton, but Harris is like an older brother to him. LSU is picking up Crystal Balls like crazy, but Texas is a real contender. Of course, the long play will be for 2023 New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning.

Manning recently mentioned Texas as one of the schools recruiting him the hardest, and the early buzz I’ve heard indicates a strong interest in the Longhorns for him. While that recruitment will take a while to really play out, the Longhorns are creating some early momentum. Winning Louisiana kids away from LSU and the rest of the SEC is always a tough task, but if Texas can make some inroads there, the Longhorns could really take recruiting to the next level.

Recruiting notes from 7v7 tournaments

— While at the Endzone 7v7 tournament in Houston, Nick Harris saw St. Louis (Mo.) Saint Mary’s wide receiver Kevin Coleman. The five-star prospect counts Texas among the schools recruiting him the hardest. He has a relationship going back a year with Andre Coleman and he talks to Coleman and Steve Sarkisian every day. Coleman said on multiple occasions that relationships are going to be huge for him. Some dynamics have changed in Coleman’s recruitment and he’s no longer playing with Fast 7v7 where he was surrounded by Texas commits in Jaydon Blue and Jaylon Guilbeau. Coleman said he loves the vibe of the state of Texas along with the weather having spent a lot of time here playing 7v7. Coleman still appears to be in no rush and will announce at the All-American Bowl.

— Keep an eye on the name of Klein (Texas) Cain wide receiver Matthew Golden. Golden told Nick over the weekend that he’s been in contact with Texas as of late. I’ve also heard that Texas seems to be looking into him and evaluating his overall game. A source I spoke with said that the evaluation process is always evolving under this staff, and they are always looking for players. The receiver board seems to be in a state of flux, but Golden is a guy who could soon be offered.

— Nick mentioned a note about Harold Perkins above, and he’s been all over that recruitment in the last few months. I’ll add that sources I’ve spoken with are gaining a bit more confidence when it comes to the elite defender. Texas is prioritizing him as much as anyone. The Longhorns are throwing a lot of resources into this one with several members of the staff, including ace recruiter Jeff Banks, working hard to get to him. This is going to be a long and arduous recruitment, but Texas is certainly looking good right now.

— The Woodlands (Texas) College Park DB Marcus Scott was somewhat of a surprise early commit to LSU. With a lanky build at 6-foot-2, 170 pounds, and strong speed, Scott is the type of kid who could grow into a strong player with proper development. Scott seems to be locked in with his recruitment, but he did tell me that Texas has been in contact and he feels they could offer soon along with Auburn. Scott said he will take visits this summer if he can, so watch for Texas to enter this race.

— I checked with a source regarding Fort Bend Marshall wide receiver Chris Marshall over the weekend. While I’ve recently heard that Texas is closing the distance, I was cautioned that Marshall is just starting out his recruiting process. I was told that he bounces back and forth between a few schools, but mostly between Texas and Texas A&M. The bottom line is, no reason to get too attached to this one as of now. Check back in the summer for an update unless something changes.

More scoop from Under Armour Dallas

— I feel that Texas will continue to be in the fight for Evan Stewart. The electric wide receiver recently decommitted, but he mentioned Texas first amongst schools he still holds in high regard. Florida is a school to watch for him with 7v7 quarterback Nick Evers as a recent commit and LSU is also generating some interest. Alabama will be a thorn with Jay Valai on board, but in the end, I think Texas can win him back. With any decommitment there will be some hurt feelings. That said, Texas knows how talented Stewart is and will continue to recruit him until the very end. If the staff can produce on offense and show something at the receiver position, they will have the goods to reel Stewart back in.

— A few weeks ago, I mentioned Michigan was making a strong push for Beaumont Westbrook safety Bryce Anderson. I was told the Wolverines made a credible push, but they don’t seem to be as big of a factor in his recruitment anymore. We still feel that Texas sits in the driver’s seat in this recruitment and the Longhorns could be closing in on a big win in the secondary.

— Denton Ryan defensive tackle Bear Alexander was dressed head to toe in Georgia gear when he arrived at the camp. It’s safe to say that the Dawgs have a strong hold on Alexander, but Texas is going to take its best shot. Alexander told me that Bo Davis is in communication with his father daily. Jeff Banks and Chris Gilbert are both working on this one as well as Texas begins the long journey of trying to win over the Bear.

— I think Kyle Flood is right where he needs to be with his major targets. My only concern is a lack of true tackle prospects in this class, but things are unfolding nicely compared to a year ago when the Longhorns seemed to whiff on every offensive line prospect they came across. Here’s a quick rundown of the Texas offensive line board as I see it right now. I think Texas is the team to beat right now for Devon Campbell as the Longhorns remain the one constant in his recruitment despite other schools changing around them. I feel Texas is likely one or two for Cole Hutson who values a great business school. I feel Texas could be emerging a bit with Kelvin Banks who said that Jaydon Blue and Maalik Murphy are both recruiting him hard, and I expect them to remain in the race for Allen OL Neto Umeozulu who hasn’t really trimmed anything down yet. They will be a finalist for Jacob Sexton, but I don’t see them winning that race. Throw in some out-of-state targets for Flood and I think Texas could be in line to pick up a great offensive line class.

— Speaking of Campbell, something interesting happened in his recruitment last week. Arlington Bowie had been open for a month or two after previous head coach Danny DeArman moved on. The job was pursued by a number of big name coaches, and Joseph Sam was named as his successor last week. Sam is a native of Lancaster and is closely connected to Chris Gilbert who played a mentor role in his career. Campbell and his uncle, who also coaches at Bowie, have a good handle on the relationship, and I don’t expect Sam to have a ton of influence. That said, Gilbert will have a friendly face overseeing Campbell’s senior year. How big of an effect will it have? That’s yet to be seen, but it’s nothing bad for Texas.
(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

—I mentioned in my notes last night that Texas seems to be making a move with Derrick Brown. It will likely come down to a mix of Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, and I think the Aggies and Longhorns have closed the gap on the Sooners. Texas seems to be surging the most right now with a few virtual visits as of late that blew him away. Brown wants to make a decision in June, but he could push that back if visits aren’t allowed. Brown plans to go to the Oklahoma barbecue this summer and the Texas A&M spring game. He wants to go to Texas as well on a student-trip. Brown wants to study kinesiology and be a coach when he gets out of school.

— Texas has the chance to make a move with another east Texas defender in Carthage’s Kip Lewis. As of now, I’d say Oklahoma seems to be the lead for Lewis with linebacker coach Brian Odom. Lewis likes what he knows of Texas, but the Longhorns haven’t been able to catch a lot of traction with him yet. Lewis plans to visit Austin on a self-guided trip this coming weekend and he could meet up with former teammate Kelvontay Dixon to see the campus. Lewis is still a bit new to the recruiting process and a strong trip could push Texas up his list.

— I’m slightly concerned with where the recruitment of North Shore defensive tackle Kristopher Ross is going. Texas looked like a cinch to land him when he was originally going to make a decision a few weeks ago but he decided to push it back to March 23. While we haven’t heard anything that makes me think something major has changed, the fact that he pushed it back and some increasing buzz around Oklahoma gives us some pause. We’ll keep digging over the next week to see which way the wind is blowing.

— Pilot Point’s Ish Harris is taking off after picking up a ton of offers. This race also seems to be coming down to Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. At the moment, it sounds like Texas is behind both rivals. Harris was high on Texas A&M, but Oklahoma recently had a strong virtual visit with him and a trip to Norman impressed him. Texas is hanging in but will need to make up some ground. Harris is a small town kid and Austin is typically less of a fit for those types of players.

— The recruitment of John Paul II cornerback Terrance Brooks could prove to eventually be one of the most important in the state of Texas. Brooks flies under the radar, but he’s rounding into shape as one of the better cornerbacks in the state and possibly the country. Brooks mentioned Alabama, Notre Dame, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Oregon and Nebraska as the schools recruiting him the hardest. Terry Joseph was previously recruiting Brooks at Notre Dame and the two have a good relationship. Brooks said he will cut his schools in April or May, and the biggest factors will be playing time and his relationship with the coaches. Texas A&M has been making a big push as of late, and Oklahoma seems to have slipped a bit since having some momentum there a few months ago. Aside from Denver Harris, this could be the biggest battle ahead for Terry Joseph.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Both Roach and Gerry are suspect of the reports on Winfield's timed 40.

Gerry said that it's rumored to be in the 4.3s

Even a time in the 4.5s would probably be a good time for him. Sub 4.5s would be great. 

• Like 1

— Pilot Point’s Ish Harris is taking off after picking up a ton of offers. This race also seems to be coming down to Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. At the moment, it sounds like Texas is behind both rivals. Harris was high on Texas A&M, but Oklahoma recently had a strong virtual visit with him and a trip to Norman impressed him. Texas is hanging in but will need to make up some ground. Harris is a small town kid and Austin is typically less of a fit for those types of players.

Didn't TFB or IT say recently they thought Texas was in the lead here?

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

— Pilot Point’s Ish Harris is taking off after picking up a ton of offers. This race also seems to be coming down to Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. At the moment, it sounds like Texas is behind both rivals. Harris was high on Texas A&M, but Oklahoma recently had a strong virtual visit with him and a trip to Norman impressed him. Texas is hanging in but will need to make up some ground. Harris is a small town kid and Austin is typically less of a fit for those types of players.

No

Super K on Jacoby Mathews

Spoiler

I know we had previously said that in the race for 5 star 2022 DB, Jacoby Mathews (Ponchatoula, LA) Texas was likely running tied for third with Oklahoma behind LSU and Florida.

After speaking to Mathews his past weekend, I no longer feel that way.

I went through Mathews' top six with him and we discussed each school. I’ll have more on that but let me bottom line it for you, for now.

My sense is there is a three way tie at the top and Texas is right in that group. After that conversation, I came away thinking, Texas can win this one. I’m not saying they will win it but I absolutely believe they can. I wouldn’t necessarily have said that prior to this most recent conversation.

• Hook 'Em 5

Gerry

Spoiler

I'll have some thoughts later today on the camp ... some quick hitters

Devon Campbell was terrific. He's gained 30-35 pounds in the last year, and still moves with the same body quickness.

Terrance Brooks ... just like what was seen on junior season tape. He's always attached. Chet has taught him well, and he applies it to the field.

Alan Anderson (LSU) commit ... an absolute dude. Built like Devin Duvernay. Not going to have the same 100meter speed (but Anderson isn't slow at all), but Anderson has a little more shake.

Kip Lewis looked really good moving around in coverage. Terrific frame for development.

Can't tell you guys how terrific of a group it was yesterday. DL and OL were awesome. WR's and DB's were a given.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nah. He grew up liking UT, but he wants to major in ag stuff, which aggy has a pretty natural sell on.

11 hours ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG: Inside five-star OL Devon Campbell's top schools

Reveal hidden contents

Inside five-star OL Devon Campbell's top schools
STEVE WILTFONG

ARLINGTON, Texas - Not long after showing a nasty streak on the field at the Under Armour All-American Camp Series stop in Dallas, the 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 ranked offensive guard Devon Campbell politely took questions about his future.

College programs covet the five-star for both sides of Campbell, the enforcer at the point of attack yet the mature young man he is away from the gridiron.

“You know what’s funny about it, off the field he’s as humble and serene and calm as I don’t know what,” his uncle, who Devon happened to be named after, explained. “We always talk about football players having that switch. He has that freaking switch man. And I love it.”

A couple defensive linemen felt that switch during 1-on-1s on Sunday with him knocking guys off balance with his combination of power and explosiveness.

“When he gets on the field, he’s a beast,” his uncle continued. “When he crosses those lines, he loves to compete.”

Tabbed as the nation’s No. 7 prospect regardless of position several schools are competing for his signature and the Arlington (Texas) Bowie standout recently narrowed his list of offers to USC, Texas, Florida State, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Houston and LSU. He maintains no leaders among that group. A few of those schools certainly aren’t lacking effort in calling.

“UT for sure, LSU for sure, we’ve been Zooming the last two weeks,” the elder Campbell said. He also coaches the defensive backs at Bowie during the fall. “We had a Zoom with LSU, a Zoom with OU, a Zoom call with USC, we have had so many of them because he has his top eight. UT calls a bunch, Coach (Chris) Gilbert, Coach (Jeff) Banks, Coach (Steve) Sark(asian) and Coach Flood. They send a message every morning.”

LSU is also coming at the same pace.

The younger Campbell is taking it all in as he searches for the best combination of what he’s looking for.

“Producing on and off the field, player development and getting me to the next level,” Campbell said.

At this point he’s only been on the Texas campus.

“It’s close to home and just their tradition,” he said of what stands out. “The new staff is cool. I like how they try and stay on me and contact me and try to stay in constant contact.”

Campbell talked about his other favorites as well.

Regarding LSU: “I constantly talk to Coach (James) Cregg and Coach (Ed) O(rgeron). Just their tradition, a championship mindset, physicality all the time.”

Regarding the Sooners: “Coach (Bill) B(edenbaugh) he constantly stays on me, consistently hitting me every day and letting me know I’m a high priority to the school. The way they produce their linemen.”

Regarding Alabama: “I like the tradition of winning, constantly winning, a championship school.”

Regarding Florida State: Coach (Alex) Atkins from FSU, I have a good relationship with him as well. From Coach Atkins is telling me they’re going to be a great program and they’re going to go far.

Regarding USC: “Cali vibes and it’s somewhere different. Experiencing something new every day.”

Regarding Houston: “Coach (Brandon) Jones me and him have a really good relationship.”

Regarding Texas A&M: Me and Coach (Josh) Henson he’s a good coach. Really technical about everything. The trajectory of the program is great. If I was to go there I think I’d fit in pretty good.”

Campbell has a personality to fit in anywhere.

“People are always asking him where are you going to go, where are you going to go,” his uncle said. “We definitely want to get him on this summer tour, drive him down to LSU, drive him down to (Alabama), drive him to UT, drive him down to A&M and kind of hang out with the guys and start to get the vibe going.

“We want to get out to Cali and Florida and definitely go see LSU. They got the new locker room and all that. We want to get to Cali and Florida of sure, just to get out there and vibe out there. If he does choose to go to one of those schools, my nephew is going to be in another state for the next five years. We want to make sure DJ gets to know those guys.”

The elder Campbell thinks this process will go till the Early Signing Period.

“His dad isn’t going to let him make a decision till then.”

"dad won't let him decide until NSD" ugh that is not in our favor

14 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A bunch of kids are talking about wanting to take trips, and I don’t think the Texas class has seen the end of its attrition yet.

Curious who we think Roach may be alluding to?  Winfield, Allen, and Johnson were our commits at this event.  Was talk of Guilbeau a while back.

This really isn't surprising at all. NCAA is so dumb for not allowing visits yet. Decommits are going to be at an all-time high nationwide. Sounds like Roach hasn't heard of specific people decommitting, just people (for all schools) wanting to take visits which naturally could lead to decommits.

Ex: Bobby Taylor (very vocal Aggy commit) just announced an OV to Bama this summer

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick Harris:  Harold Perkins dives into crowded recruiting process, communication with Texas

Spoiler

Harold Perkins dives into crowded recruiting process, communication with Texas

Nick Harris

THE WOODLANDS, Texas — Cypress Park five-star outside linebacker Harold Perkins has been one of the most coveted recruits in the country for the class of 2022 for almost a year as his combination of athleticism, size and physicality has his stock as high as any prospect you could find in the country.

On Saturday, Perkins competed in his first 7-on-7 event of the season after helping lead Cy Park into the fourth round of the playoffs on the basketball court as he looks to improve on the intricacies of his game this offseason.

"I'm trying to work on just staying patient," Perkins said. "Just staying patient, my hips and stuff that defensive backs do. I'm not your typical mike or sam linebacker, or will. I will be that dude that can do everything."

On the recruitment side of things, Perkins has been in contact with a good handful of schools including USC, Texas, Florida, Auburn, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

"Right now, communication has been good," he said. "I've been talking to everybody. I'm just staying focused on school, AAU ball and 7-on-7."

His relationship with Texas continues to strengthen under the new coaching staff as his lead recruiter, Jeff Banks, has carried over the momentum he had while working on the Alabama staff to his current assignment in Austin.

"They hit me up every day," Perkins said. "As a matter of fact, they just texted my phone. I like those guys, I feel like they know what it takes to be the dogs. Coming to the Big 12, I think they're gonna be able to win it."

When Perkins watches Texas or any other team in the fall, he's keeping a close eye on how his position is used under that specific defense.

"I'm watching everybody," he said. "When I watch football, I watch how they use that dude in their defense that I want to be. I just watch their defense and see if I like it or not."

Another big contender in the race for Harold Perkins is Texas A&M as the Aggies stay in communication "every other day" with head coach Jimbo Fisher and linebackers coach Tyler Santucci. His long-standing relationship with Texas A&M commit Donovan Green also plays a big role in the Aggies' recruitment of the five-star linebacker.

Perkins still plans on making his decision at the Under Armour All-American Game in January after taking visits this summer and fall to all of his in-state options as well as official visits to out-of-state schools.

At 6-foot-2.5, 200 pounds, Perkins is the No. 14 ranked overall prospect in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 1 outside linebacker in the country and the No. 4 recruit from the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT 

Spoiler

By: Joe, Gerry, and Justin

An absurd amount of talent converged on Arlington Martin High School on Sunday for the Under Armour Camp Series DFW stop.

Let's get to it.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie: Dominant. The big offensive guard has gotten bigger. Strong at the point of attack, Campbell is mean, nasty, and one of the best o-line prospects in the country. He'd like to take visits before his decision, but it's clear Texas is the lead dog. Campbell wants to make visits before deciding, and those visits include Oklahoma for the Sooners spring game, Texas, Texas A&M and maybe Alabama and LSU. The Longhorns recently made Campbell’s top eight that included USC, FSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Houston, and LSU. Texas is selling Campbell on being able to be a part of the tradition in Austin. He keeps up with former Bowie Volunteer and Texas OL Tope Imade, and Campbell can go to him for any questions he has about Texas. Imade gave positive reviews about the new staff. He spoke highly of Kyle Flood continuing to recruit him at Texas after talking with him at Alabama. Members of Texas 2022 class are recruiting Campbell telling him to be a part of something special. He told IT he wants to take official visits before making a decision and wants to see his top schools after the dead period ends. Despite saying he wants to take visits, when asked if he planned on another trimming of his list, Campbell said “there’s no telling, really. I could commit.” When asked one more time about a decision timeline, he said “doesn’t know when I want to make a decision. It could be anytime soon. It could be later. I don’t know.”

Bottom line: As IT has said for a very long time, Texas remains the team to beat.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek: Even though he's soft-spoken and measured with his words, his play on the field spoke loud enough. Nobody is doing better here that UT. Coach Sarkisian and Coach Flood recently had a Zoom meeting for his birthday, including a cake that in no way resembled Jim Harbaugh's monstrosity of baking for Jordan Elliott. "They're like family," Banks said of Texas.

Bottom line: This is another one Texas can and should win.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco: He's definitely bigger and looked the part on Sunday. His strength is his versatility. A lot of school are recruiting him at center, guard, and tackle. While he could do all three, guard is where he’ll likely maximize. He gushed over his student visit to Texas last weekend. He loves the size and energy of Austin, not to mention the class they're currently building. This looks to be a Texas-OU battle, with Arizona State a wild card. He'd like to have a decision as soon as the dead period is lifted, hopefully June 1st.

Bottom line: Like the Red River Shootout, this could come down to who wants it more between UT and OU.

OLB/WDE Derrick Brown, Texas High: The bendy, athletic rush end showed the ability that led to an insane stat line for the 2020 season. Texas is still in the hunt, but OU and Colorado are also strongly in the mix. He'd like to have his decision made by early June. He should Zoom with the Texas staff this week.

Bottom line: OU still has the lead but UT is pushing to make up ground.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen: He may not attend UT, but it won't be from a lack of effort by the Texas staff. Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks are putting in the work, but so is Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and others. He looked strong during 1-on-1's and remains a priority for the staff.

Bottom line: This recruitment is in its infancy.

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage: He looked fabulous. He's filing out his frame and showing the athleticism that led coach Scott Surratt to say he's the best defender he's ever coached. Here's the deal, Kip Lewis is wide open. Texas, LSU, OU, and Texas A&M are setting the pace here, and nobody is separating. He's looking to plan a student visit to Austin over the next few weeks, and will likely Zoom with the UT staff this week as well.

Bottom line: Another recruitment that has yet to truly begin.

DB BJ Allen, Aledo (TEXAS): He's bigger and stronger, even resembling a linebacker. The DB received a golden ticket to UA's All American game in Orlando. Allen’s family was decked out in Texas gear in the stands.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (TEXAS): Ever since his commitment, sources close to Winfield have indicated he's maturing, becoming more of a leader in the locker room, and by the way, has really improved his skill-set at the position. He went through the gauntlet (series of running, catching quick passes) like a champ. His stride and body control were getting separation on the regular. Texas will have to fight to keep him committed with the dead period likely to be lifted in June. It’s important to remember this still isn’t a normal cycle and the 2022 class of recruits haven’t been on campuses in well over a year. Some haven’t been anywhere.

Bottom line: We’re watching this commitment closely.

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty: Like we just said, kids want to take visits. Texas is clearly still in this pursuit with Alabama and Oregon, but add Texas A&M, LSU, Georgia, and Florida to the mix.

Bottom line: It’s probably safe to tune this recruitment out until the fall.

DE Ernest Cooper, Arlington Martin: Cooper remains a Stanford lean, but hasn’t been formally accepted yet. If that happens, the Cardinal will be tough to beat. With that said, Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas and Texas A&M have been lightly trying to pressure Cooper into a decision sooner rather than later. That could turn a kid like Cooper off. Nobody will speed up his process. He has only been to Stanford. He wants to go see and meet coaches at ND, Texas, and Texas A&M before making a decision. This will be a well thought out decision, and not one based on emotion. The No. 2 player in the Inside Texas 2022 Top 75 earned an invite to the Under Armour All-America game on his home turf Sunday, and his excitement was easy to see. The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Cooper noted how a lot of players have committed in his class without even seeing campuses. He has been on several virtual visits, but the only place Cooper was able to see in person was Stanford before the visit shutdown. He gave glowing praise to the Cardinal, not just about academics, but also their athletic prowess. Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Texas, Nebraska, Oregon, and a few others have been on Cooper lately. He keeps up with Bo Davis and Jeff Banks at Texas, and he said Texas has spoken with him about playing “Jack.” Cooper has not had much communication with Sarkisian but did have a virtual meeting with ND head coach Brian Kelly. When officials open up, Texas, Texas A&M, Oregon, Notre Dame, and Stanford are likely destinations. 81-inch wingspan, by the way.

Bottom line: Still Stanford.

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin (TEXAS): Intelligent with a giant smile. Not to mention the top linebacker Sunday after being named MVP at the position. Since his pledge to UT, schools have basically stopped recruiting him outside a few Pac 12 programs. He's now the recruiter and along with UT signee Morice Blackwell, is currently working on teammate Javien Toviano (stud 2023 CB) and doing well with that. He also would like to take a few visits, but that seems to be the popular trend in early March.

RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy: For years, Miller wanted to go to Texas. Partly because his big brother, Damion, loved the Horns and his mother is also a big fan. But now it seems Jamarion is looking at other options. The Alabama offer was big, but it’s uncertain how much they’ll actually push. Jamarion wants to take his decision to the UA All American Game, which he received a golden ticket to attend. Right now this kid is loving Oklahoma State.

Bottom line: Unlikely to be the second running back take for Texas.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II: Brooks received an Under Armour All-America Game invite after looking just as smooth and talented as he did on junior tape. His student visit to TCU went well according to a source close to the versatile defensive back. While TCU is recruiting Brooks at safety, the family has been impressed by the honest approach to recruiting by Gary Patterson. Brooks had a zoom call with Texas late in the week that went well. Brooks will visit Texas at some point in the next few weeks. A visit to Texas A&M for the Aggies spring game is on the calendar. The Aggies are now working the Chet Brooks angle really hard. Alabama, Notre Dame and Stanford remain out of region players in this recruitment. Brooks is one of the top defensive backs in the 2022 class, and most major programs in the country are after his services. He holds offers from 34 schools including Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Cal, Colorado, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas A&M, and even Yale. The list will be cut down soon as he plans to release either a top five or a top 12 soon, and Texas has very, very strong chances to make the cut. He speaks with Sarkisian and Joseph the most, with Sarkisian staying in regular contact. Joseph has told Brooks he can play any position in the defensive backfield on the Forty Acres. He plans to commit in the mid-to-late Summer.

Bottom line: There’s still some optimism with Texas at John Paul II, but the recruitment is certainly heating up.

ATH/LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point: The four-star is being looked at for defense by almost every school recruiting him, but the 6-foot-4, athlete participated as a running back on Sunday to help him prepare for when he has to play the position for PPHS. He recently released a top six of Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Utah. Harris plans to enroll early and decide in the middle of the upcoming season. He hears from Jeff Choate, who is selling him on playing a similar role to DeMarvion Overshown. Most schools have recruited him for outside linebacker, but A&M is telling him he can run the ball. Education is important for Harris, more so than an individual position. He is in daily contact with Steve Sarkisian, and recently went on a virtual visit of the UT campus. The likely-future OLB will make a student visit to Texas A&M on Friday. Texas will also receive a visit at some point. Harris plans to make official visits this summer before hopefully deciding prior to the season.

Bottom line: Texas is in the middle of yet another regional Battle Royale.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

https://theathletic.com/2450887/2021/03/15/visiting-with-devon-campbell-who-might-be-the-nations-most-important-uncommitted-prospect/

Spoiler

ARLINGTON, Texas — The offensive linemen were in the gymnasium at Arlington Martin High School on Sunday morning while it spit rain outside. Parents and reporters stood around the bleachers at the football field — and took cover under them when the rain periodically picked up.

This was a small price to pay to see competition in person again. This was the 2021 Under Armour All-America Camp Series regional in Dallas, where a collection of the best prospects in the area came to work out and increase their chances of being properly evaluated.

Inside the gym, the players were doing agility drills and getting measured. That part was closed to everyone but counselors and the participants. And perhaps the most important uncommitted prospect of the 2022 cycle was inside that gym.

An hour flew by. Then close to two. But finally, the players jogged out to the football field in their custom-made Under Armour cleats. And that meant the first glimpse of five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell of nearby Bowie High School, who was eager to show why he’s rated the No. 7 overall player and the No. 1 offensive guard in the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite.

The counselors set up a one-on-one offensive line vs. defensive line drill that inherently favors the defensive linemen — there were no pads, and it’s harder to block someone that way. Campbell, however, didn’t lose a single rep despite going against some of the most talented defensive line prospects in the region. He was big at 6-foot-4, 310-pounds. He was powerful. And he was agile. That’s why he earned his recruiting rating and a list of scholarship offers that he recently trimmed to eight schools: Texas, Texas A&M, Florida State, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Houston and LSU.

As for what’s next in his recruitment?

“I really don’t know what my next step would be,” Campbell said. “I could commit, I don’t know. I could make a top three or a top five. I don’t have a target date. I don’t know. I’m just seeing how everything goes right now.”

It’s practically an obligation for five-star prospects to be as vague as possible about their recruitments. It makes things more fun. Recruiting is about speculation, the unknown, and then, alas, the potential.

Campbell said “I don’t know” a lot during the conversation about his recruitment, which is understandable. The prolonged NCAA dead period has made it difficult for prospects to get a good feel for the schools pursuing them. Some of his peers have issued commitments, others are waiting. Campbell has been inundated with Zoom calls from college coaches all over the country, but he hopes to see these schools in person before making a final decision. That could happen in camps this summer, but we won’t know for sure until the NCAA announces when it plans to lift the dead period.

Here is one thing Campbell knows: His importance to the schools in the region.

“I really am starting to feel how important I am to these coaches,” he said. “Everything in the recruiting process is starting to sink in for me. At first, I was trying to get my head so wrapped around it, but I can see now that I am a major priority for all the schools who are recruiting me. Being one of the top players, all the schools have said they’d be lucky to have me. … Whenever the dead period is over, I’ve been planning to go to every school I can possible.”

You could make the case that he is the most important uncommitted prospect in the country, and he’s certainly the most important in the state of Texas. This is about as regional of a recruitment as possible, with Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Houston, LSU and Alabama all heavily in play. Texas is the main — or at least a main — recruiting territory for each of these schools. So when there is a top-10 offensive lineman in the Dallas area, you can imagine how important that prospect is specifically to Texas and Texas A&M.

The Longhorns and Aggies consistently battle for prospects. Sometimes those prospects pick Texas. Sometimes they pick A&M. And it’s easy to see what adding a top-10 national player from the 2022 class would mean for both schools.

Texas is trying to re-legitimize itself as a national threat under recently hired coach Steve Sarkisian while Texas A&M, coming off a 9-1 season under Jimbo Fisher, is hoping to continue its crazy recruiting momentum and add to a roster that is stockpiling elite talent. Both schools are doing their part to keep elite-level prospects from leaving the state.

“To be honest, you get the feeling about how important geography is and what his recruitment means for Texas and Texas A&M, but his father and I don’t really think about it,” said Campbell’s uncle, also named Devon Campbell. “We just think about DJ and what fits for him. He dropped the top eight and now we are going to go from there. We just want to get him on these campuses. At least to a spring game, to a practice or something so he can vibe with these coaches face to face and really get a sense for what he is feeling.

“Do we sense he’s important? Of course. You have coaches getting to me, giving me their cellphone numbers. We are on Zoom calls for two or three hours at a time. If I pull out my phone right now, I bet I’d have five text messages from coaches seeing how he did at the camp. We are just doing what we can do to enjoy the process. The recruiters are doing what they can, and we just hope and pray that we can give him as much information as possible for him to make an educated decision that fits what he wants.”

Campbell has only been to Texas, so maybe that’s a nice little boost for the Longhorns.

But the elder Campbell — who is taking on a leading role in the recruitment because Devon’s father, Renaldo, is a truck driver who is frequently on the road — said the plan is to visit each of the schools in the top eight this summer. As we inch closer and closer to normalcy, the thought that those visits could be possible is comforting.

Hearing whistles and contact on a high school football field in March was also comforting. Things are starting to feel more normal. And when Campbell starts visiting these schools and his recruitment becomes even more dramatic, well, that just means we’re back.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

some are; some aren't.

And when you have 2 quality guys committed with about 5 guys looking for a spot when the coach thinks there are already too many on the roster, there is no sense in worrying.

Super K on Ross

Spoiler

As you know, 2022 DL, Kris Ross is set to announce his decision on March 23rd.

Saturday night I checked in with Ross and he tells me that he has not yet made a decision. In fact, after chatting with him, I got word via a source that he is headed out to Cali in the next week or two for a self guided tour to USC.

I still think Ross ultimately stays close to home. Baylor, LSU, Texas and OU were the main schools in the mix. But, it sounds like he is still making up his mind.

You’ll recall that indecision is what prompted him to delay his first commitment date.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

And when you have 2 quality guys committed with about 5 guys looking for a spot when the coach thinks there are already too many on the roster, there is no sense in worrying.

We only have one committed and he's shaky.

Also, having a bunch of mediocre receivers has no real impact on how many good WRs you want to take.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

So its Winfield that is the potential decommit...boy that awesome WR class sure has taken a fucking turn

Since most commits across the country are going to take visits if the dead period is lifted in June, most commits across the country are potential decommits

Kind of makes it difficult to get too attached right now, other than following who are ascending and descending as prospects 

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We only have one committed and he's shaky.

Also, having a bunch of mediocre receivers has no real impact on how many good WRs you want to take.

What I meant was - two week we had no reason to worry. Obviously, now we are in a totally different position. We aren't in the cherry picking mode, anymore.

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There's a fun way to find out called reading the damn thread. You should try it.

When did you become such a bitch? Not everyone reads all 200+ post between visits especially when every fucking post is a tweet just about that has no information in it. These to threads were better when it was just articles being posted and important shit. Now every single tweet is posted here so it makes it tougher to keep up with than it used to be. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When did you become such a bitch? Not everyone reads all 200+ post between visits especially when every fucking post is a tweet just about that has no information in it. These to threads were better when it was just articles being posted and important shit. Now every single tweet is posted here so it makes it tougher to keep up with than it used to be. 

if anyone is being a bitch in this scenario it is you complaining about the thread.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's not difficult to read every post when they're all in one thread, especially tweets that you can just scroll past. You should be expected to at least read the fucking thread before you ask questions

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's not difficult to read every post when they're all in one thread, especially tweets that you can just scroll past. You should be expected to at least read the fucking thread before you ask questions

I think a better alternative would be create the Twitter thread for people who give a shit about some linemen doing a cone drill. And have one for actual information and debating

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting