Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

On 4/4/2021 at 5:35 PM, Dijon Robinson said:

Just retweeted by Murphy

Un-retweeted these. Probably didn't get the memo that Bryce changed his timeline. Also probably shouldn't be spoiling classmates' announcements without talking to them about it first.

• Fuck You 1

Wells on Scarlett

Spoiler

DL Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy (Lewisville, TX) (2022)

The rising junior continues his ascent. Measuring 6-foot-2 (w/o shoes), 266 in March, the metroplex three-star is up to 23 offers including OU, Arizona State, Baylor, Colorado, and Georgia Tech.

His offers didn’t start flowing until recently. And Scarlett is very grateful for that. His appreciation always comes through.

“I’m enjoying the process,” said Scarlett. I’m still talking to every coach. It’s an interesting experience and I’m blessed to be where I am.”

Add Michigan to the list of potential suitors. They actually offered last year, and have since picked up the attention.

His junior numbers were insane - 105 tackles, 25 tackles for loss, 15 sacks, two forced fumbles, and two safeties - and the Horns agree.

He'd like to visit Texas this summer, in June if possible, and hears from the staff weekly.

“They love my film,” said Scarlett. "I can play anywhere on the d-line."

For now, I think Scarlett is relatively open during the process. That gives UT and Bo Davis plenty of time.

Tfb on Campbell ( don’t pencil us in as leader, this is wide open)

Spoiler

The TFB

Devon Campbell Recruitment Still Wide OpenBy: CJ VogelPosted on: April 5, 2021

Was rather fortunate to run into 5-star Arlington Bowie OL Devon Campbell this weekend at the True Buzz Invitational. Campbell was actually suiting up and playing this weekend, making him one of the few trench guys to be in attendance on the weekend.
Campbell’s a quiet dude and keeps a lot of his recruitment close to the vest. However, he was open to sharing his hopes to visit in the summer.
*** Right now, Campbell only has one visit locked in so far and it’s with Oklahoma. Campbell will make the trip north on June 16 to see Norman.
*** As for getting down to Austin, Campbell is sifting through possible weekends to make the trip down south, though has had some troubles finding a good weekend that works for he and his parents. He added he does hope to make the trip soon.
*** OL coach Kyle Flood has been the main source of communication since taking over the job. Campbell is a fan of what he did at Alabama and hopes to see it translate over in Austin.
“Coming from Alabama and having that winning tradition and bringing it over to Texas’ culture is going to be great.”
*** Campbell did say that Texas will get an official visit when he is able to sit down and plan things out.
*** USC is the only other school Campbell mentioned that would likely get an OV. A source mentioned that there’s a tentative date set for June 4 to be the weekend for the Trojans to host him.
*** As for a timeline, there is nothing in place for Campbell who said it could stretch out to NSD or wrap up after the visits closer to the season.
I feel like there is a stigma surrounding Campbell from Texas fans who have him penciled into the class. I would tap the brakes there pretty hard. Campbell is not close to a decision and is very open with his recruitment. I would not be comfortable saying Texas is the leader, though they will be in the mix.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sometimes, TFB takes what recruits say at face value too much. Jacoby Mathews' "commitment" is a recent example of this.

Some TFB contributors are worth listening to more than others in recruiting 

• Hook 'Em 4

Mike at Night: New visitors and moving timelines

Spoiler

— I mentioned earlier today that Texas is in the race for Greer (SC.) tight end Jaleel Skinner. It sounds like the Longhorns will at least get a visit from the highly-touted four-star prospect. I exchanged a few messages with him earlier today and he said he's in the process of trying to set up a visit to Texas for the summer. He's also been talking with Maalik Murphy who is trying to do some work on him. Clemson, Florida, South Carolina and Florida State are the schools that are thought to be the favorites as of now. It's encouraging that Texas is going to at least get a visit, but they will have to really wow him in order to close the deal and land him.

— I know there has been a lot of talk about April 9th and a possible commitment for Texas. While we previously were prepared for some possible fireworks on that date, we no longer think they will happen. As I mentioned, when the prospect of visits in the summer became more of a realistic proposition, many players decided to put things off and take some trips. Anything can happen in recruiting, but as of today, we are not expecting April 9 to be any date of significance as of now.

— On that subject, I'd expect a lull overall in the next two months. Sure, some guys will make the jump to schools during that time period, but for the most part, timelines are changing and should be considered tentative at best with the possibility of visits. Nothing about recruiting has been normal in the last year and it's hard to anticipate how things will change this summer, but we've been living without on campus visits for so long that the possibility of having them again might turn things upside down. If it gets a little slow in the next few months, don't worry. It could really heat up and get fun this summer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike Roach:  Texas still working to flip OU commit Jordan Hudson

Spoiler

Texas still working to flip OU commit Jordan Hudson

Mike Roach

Jordan Hudson committed to Oklahoma last summer.

The four-star wide receiver from Garland chose the Sooners over a wealth of other offers. Now with the possibility of visits on the horizon, Hudson is looking to get back to Norman. He hasn’t scheduled an official visit yet, but he’s set to make the trip north this weekend for a self-guided visit.

“Not yet,” he said. “I’m supposed to be going up there April 10 for the dinner. All of the commits are going up there.”

Oklahoma’s offense was a big draw for Hudson. The comradery they offered was another big reason for his decision.

“It’s just a big brotherhood,” Hudson said. “The campus is gorgeous. It’s somewhere I want to play at.”

Hudson is still considering taking other visits at the moment. He’s not sure if or when he will take all five visits, but he plans to talk it over with his parents.

“I really don’t know yet,” he said. “My dad really hasn’t talked about it. I might take all five in the summer.”

Texas remains in the picture for him as well. Steve Sarkisian and Andre Coleman keep up communication on a weekly basis and continue to work to flip Hudson.

“I talk to them every week,” he said. “They are trying to get me to stay home and to put on for my state.”

Hudson also knows Texas quarterback commit Maalik Murphy well. The two have played 7-on-7 together and Hudson said the pitch from him has been relentless.

“That dude is crazy,” he said. “He’s trying to get my mom on board and he’s just telling me how it’s going to be if I went to Texas.”

Hudson said he characterizes his commitment to Oklahoma as strong. While he plans to investigate his options, schools will need to offer quite a bit to land him.

“They have to offer me more than Oklahoma has,” Hudson said. “I’d have to feel a brotherhood. If it ain’t no brotherhood, then I don’t really want to go there.”

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Hudson is ranked as the No. 15 wide receiver in the nation and No. 23 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agbo locking in some visits. LSU and Miami so far and working on setting up OU ::

Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer offensive lineman Malik Agbo has locked in his first two official visits. And both of them will be to out-of-state programs. Agbo will head to Miami first, going to Coral Gables on June 4th. A week later, he'll head to the Bayou when he visits LSU on June 11th. And he may not be done locking visits in.

"I plan on going down to Oklahoma too at the end of June but we haven’t made things official just yet," said Agbo.

The official visits for Agbo are significant, especially with two set for outside the Pac-12 footprint and a third likely. We've said for a while that of all the Northwest offensive linemen in a strong class of them, he's the one we feel is most likely to leave the region and we know the LSU offer last spring was a significant one for him. So with the Tigers set to get a visit from him in June, that will give them a great opportunity with Agbo. Of course, Miami will have a shot the week before and Oklahoma will to later in the month- plus he'll take all five official visits so two more schools will have a chance. But we've felt like LSU has been a big part of this recruitment for some time and an official there could go a long way with them.

A four-star in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings, Agbo ranks as the No. 4 prospect in the state of Washington per the composite while ranking as the No. 25 offensive tackle nationally in the 2022 class.

Edited by golfclap

Mike Roach:  Texas visit lined up for Aaron Bryant

Spoiler

Texas visit lined up for Aaron Bryant

Mike Roach

Aaron Bryant saw his recruitment reach new heights over the last few weeks.

The three-star defensive tackle from Southaven (Miss.) is preparing for a busy visit schedule. Schools have been offering him at a quick rate which is pushing back his timeline as he looks to do his research and make the right choice.

“Possibly. I'm not even going to lie to you it's possibly now that I picked up some more offers, I really want to take my time to do my due diligence and give everybody a fair opportunity,” Bryant said. “So, it could end up going deep into my senior season probably into December or maybe Signing Day but I'm not really sure I mean, it really could go either way whenever I feel like I'm ready to make a decision I'll make it but there's no telling how far it goes.”

So far, Bryant has two official visits on his slate. Georgia and Texas will both get a hard look this summer, but he plans to possibly stretch things out.

“I've already set up two,” he said. “I want to leave my options open because I'm picking up some new offers. Georgia and University of Texas are set up, so I don't know if I want to keep burning them because I only get five officials, but I still get an unlimited amount of unofficial, but you know, officials are big that's a better way you get to know the program. So, I don't know if I'm only going to use two in the summer then try to save the other ones for maybe closer to Signing Day, but I haven't decided I might use three in the summer.”

Texas has been recruiting Bryant aggressively, and he’s looking forward to seeing how the program feels when he sees it up close.

“Basically, the same thing,” he said. “You know, family feels and how they're going to use me. They've already talked to me about how they are going to use and how they do things in the program, that'll be really good to see.”

When it comes time to make his decision, Bryant said he’s looking forward to finding a school that will push him to be the best.

“Coaches that are really going to push me and challenge me in areas and turn those into strengths,” he said. “Somewhere that is going to push me to be the best version of myself.”

At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, Bryant is ranked as the No. 51 defensive tackle in the country and No. 17 overall prospect in Mississippi, according to 247Sports.

Roach

Spoiler

— There have been some questions about Texas linebacker commit Trevell Johnson and his commitment status. He's got a few unofficial visits scheduled elsewhere for the summer, but he told me that he's firm in his commitment. Oklahoma State is a school he will visit along with a few others, but he said he really just wants to enjoy the fun parts about recruiting. Johnson was never able to go on any visits and he wants to get around and see some schools and have fun. Johnson said he cleared everything with Jeff Choate and Steve Sarkisian and explained his thought process. He will be at the spring game and he will take his official visit to Texas on June 18.

— I don't believe Texas is pushing very hard for Ernest Cooper right now. The Martin defensive end told me he hasn't heard from Texas lately, and he's in the process of narrowing down his list of schools. Stanford still seems to be the trendy pick at the moment, but Notre Dame is making a hard push with Texas A&M and Ohio State also in the picture. There might be a reason for Texas deciding to move on and I'll get to that later in this article.

— Last night, 247Sports analyst Blair Angulo entered a Crystal Ball pick for Phoenix (AZ.) Brophy College Prep defensive end Zac Swanson. I've been hearing some buzz regarding him but was attempting to reach him before entering a pick. After talking to some sources out west and checking with other sources at Texas, I've decided to enter a Crystal Ball of my own. This is a race Texas has been competitive in since the moment they offered, and it sounds like the Longhorns have pushed past a couple of west coast programs for him.  I mentioned above that it made sense if Texas was decreasing contact with Cooper and Swanson might be it since the two profile simlarly at the next level.

— When Texas offered Chris Gilbert the high school relations job, it was a big move for Sark to solidify relationships with Texas high school football coaches. Gilbert has a strong Rolodex of Texas coaches and tapped into his resources to bring in a comprehensive directory for the Longhorns to use. From what I hear, Steve Sarkisian is putting it to good use. Each day, Sarkisian is reaching out to head coaches across the state to engage with them and build a bond. Texarkana Texas High head coach Gerry Stanford mentioned it in a tweet a few weeks ago and I've heard, Sarkisian is reaching out to a few coaches per day.

With Gilbert's guidance, Sarkisian is showing a ton of initiative and follow-up to make sure his bond with high school coaches in the state remains strong. It's a savvy move and a great way to start his tenure. The trick will be consistency to keep it going.

Just In Time Evening News: Perkins, Hudson, Sewell, Brooks, Preston

Spoiler

By: Justin and Gerry

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (2022):

The nation's top rated outside linebacker has a date to see Texas. When we reported a few weeks ago that Perkins was setting up a visit, he'd mentioned taking a few official visits this summer, then taking a few more during the season. '
'
The 6-foot-2.5, 205-pound composite five-star wants to see a few places in June - Texas A&M and UT - and also wants to attend a few games, so saving a handful of OVs makes good sense. He'll be in Austin on June 18th, the beginning of the big weekend on campus.

Remember, UT's Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks are handling Perkins' pursuit, and he's fully aware he's a priority. Some schools, like Texas, even mentioned possibly playing running back, but Perkins remarked that Jaydon Blue and Rueben Owens make the Horns backfield pretty crowded. He knows he's a hybrid linebacker with safety traits, uber athleticism, and a lot to offer a college program.

UT, Texas A&M, LSU, and Alabama will get visits, and those four remain the top competition for his services.

WR Shazz Preston, St. James High, LA (2022):

The Louisiana product will make an official visit to Texas June 18th-20th. Prior to the official to Austin, the 6-foot-0, 190-pound four-star wide receiver will make an OV to USC June 4th-6th, and is likely to make a visit to Miami June 25th-27th. Preston will also make a trip or two to Mississippi State where his brother, Shawn, plays defensive back.

Alabama, LSU, and Georgia round out the seven school in contention, and will receive visits during the season, an are schools he's seen before. Preston plays on the same 7v7 team with Bryce Anderson and Jacoby Mathews.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (2022) (OU):

Hudson recently spoke with Oklahoma, and the Sooners are okay with the 6-foot-1, 190-pound wide receiver making official visits. USC, Texas, and Oregon likely get the OV’s, along with Oklahoma — as of today. USC is the sleeper in this recruitment. He's still set on seeing Norman this month.

CB Terrance Brooks, Plano John Paul II (Plano, TX) (2022):

The four-star is still in the process of finalizing June OV’s. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound versatile DB with a near 80-inch wingspan will most likely make OV’s to Alabama, Texas (June 18-20) and Notre Dame. Texas A&M is likely as well. The Florida Gators have begun to make a push for an official visit. As IT has previously reported, Stanford didn’t make the cut as Brooks plans to be a December graduate. Brooks, who doesn’t turn 17 until June 30, recruitment remains purely relationship driven with a focus on the position coach and DC being able to articulate exactly how Brooks fits in the scheme and future plans.

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting