Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT on visitors

Spoiler

June 4-6 OV:
OLB Derrick Brown (Texas High)

June 11-13 weekend:
Official visitors scheduled include Evan Stewart (could move to the 18-20 weekend) and Cole Hutson. Stewart will make his first OV to Florida June 4-6, and has Texas A&M scheduled for June 24-26. Hutson will follow the Texas OV with trips to Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

June 18-20 weekend visit list:
QB Maalik Murphy (Junipero Serra - CA) #AllGasNoBrakes
RB Jaydon Blue (Klein Cain) #AllGasNoBrakes
RB Tavorus Jones (El Paso Burges)
WR Armani Winfield (Lewisville) #AllGasNoBrakes
WR Shazz Preston (St. James - LA)
OT Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek)
DT Kristopher Ross (North Shore) #AllGasNoBrakes
LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka (Bishop Alemany - CA)
LB Trevell Johnson (Arlington Martin) #AllGasNoBrakes
LB Harold Perkins (Cy Park) - unofficial
S Jacoby Mathews (Ponchatoula - LA)
S Bryan Allen Jr. (Aledo) #AllGasNoBrakes
DB Bryce Anderson (Beaumont West Brook) - unofficial
DB Terrance Brooks (Plano John Paul II)
CB Denver Harris (North Shore)

June 25-27 weekend OV list:
DT Jaray Bledsoe (Bremond)
DE/T Justice Finkley (Hewitt-Trussville)
OLB/ATH Ish Harris (Pilot Point)
CB Jaylon Guilbeau (Port Arthur Memorial) #AllGasNoBrakes

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That wouldn't be a bad start to the class.

28 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Apparently Tom Loy seems to think he's planning to commit on June 18th (his father's birthday). The ND crowd seem to think that he's a silent, is visiting South Bend June 11-13.

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on visitors

Reveal hidden contents

June 4-6 OV:
OLB Derrick Brown (Texas High)

June 11-13 weekend:
Official visitors scheduled include Evan Stewart (could move to the 18-20 weekend) and Cole Hutson. Stewart will make his first OV to Florida June 4-6, and has Texas A&M scheduled for June 24-26. Hutson will follow the Texas OV with trips to Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

June 25-27 weekend OV list:
DT Jaray Bledsoe (Bremond)
DE/T Justice Finkley (Hewitt-Trussville)
OLB/ATH Ish Harris (Pilot Point)
CB Jaylon Guilbeau (Port Arthur Memorial) #AllGasNoBrakes

I still wonder about loading everyone on the same weekend. I get the excitement factor of being around the other guys, particularly the commits, but it seems like it'd be better if the coaches could spend more time with each kid/family

(Super K) Former 2022 PK Commit Setting up Texas Visit

Spoiler

Yesterday, Texas offered 2022 ATH (OLB), Anthony Jones (Las Vegas)…

Jones was previously committed to coach PK at Washington and shortly after PK’s departure, he decommitted.

I checked with Jones, yesterday, after his offer. He told me and his family had a virtual tour with Texas yesterday.

Jones added that he is in the process of working with coach PK on setting up a summer visit out to Texas. So, if Texas wants to push here, it looks like they have a very interested out of state target.

Jones is a pretty big fella. I have not yet seen him in person but one of our west coast partners spent a little time with him and Jovantae Barnes (Desert Pines RB), recently and took this picture…

79B130CE-7956-4C3B-9415-0064BB8B321A-300

Jovantae is wearing the black shirt. I have seen Jovantae in person and he’s about 6’1 and you can see Jones is significantly taller.

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I still wonder about loading everyone on the same weekend. I get the excitement factor of being around the other guys, particularly the commits, but it seems like it'd be better if the coaches could spend more time with each kid/family

The best way to kill it in recruiting is to build a consensus among recruits and the easiest way to do that is get them all together. 

This isn’t even that many guys. We’ll easily have a better than 1:1 ratio of recruits to on campus staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Jones was previously committed to coach PK at Washington and shortly after PK’s departure, he decommitted.

I checked with Jones, yesterday, after his offer. He told me and his family had a virtual tour with Texas yesterday.

Jones added that he is in the process of working with coach PK on setting up a summer visit out to Texas. So, if Texas wants to push here, it looks like they have a very interested out of state target.

Jones is a pretty big fella. I have not yet seen him in person but one of our west coast partners spent a little time with him and Jovantae Barnes (Desert Pines RB), recently and took this picture…

Jovantae is wearing the black shirt. I have seen Jovantae in person and he’s about 6’1 and you can see Jones is significantly taller.

I need to learn more about PK's defense, but Jones plays LB and doesn't seem very strong. On most defenses he would be kind of a tweener - not quite fast enough for LB and not strong enough for DE. I assume he will play DE and add a lot of strength. He is listed as 244 if I remember correctly but he looks and plays like he is lighter. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

When I read the headline I was trying to think of when a placekicker decommitted 

• Like 1

I need to learn more about PK's defense, but Jones plays LB and doesn't seem very strong. On most defenses he would be kind of a tweener - not quite fast enough for LB and not strong enough for DE. I assume he will play DE and add a lot of strength. He is listed as 244 if I remember correctly but he looks and plays like he is lighter. 

He’s an end and the frame is exactly what you want. Exhibits:
673e22950c354058648968354f83ab87.jpg
ca4083be228f800daeee8ac80a16b57c.jpg
2c80c49ddd64646a0483133569421a6b.jpg
bed48ac6858ad277804f3ad314271154.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He’s an end and the frame is exactly what you want. Exhibits:
673e22950c354058648968354f83ab87.jpg
ca4083be228f800daeee8ac80a16b57c.jpg
2c80c49ddd64646a0483133569421a6b.jpg
bed48ac6858ad277804f3ad314271154.jpg

Yeah, he has end size, but doesn't look like it on his HUDL. More importantly, he usually has to drag his guy down for an extra 3 yard gain. Compared to the LB that we are looking at in Vegas, this guy doesn't hit anywhere close to as hard.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, he has end size, but doesn't look like it on his HUDL. More importantly, he usually has to drag his guy down for an extra 3 yard gain. Compared to the LB that we are looking at in Vegas, this guy doesn't hit anywhere close to as hard.

Huh? They won’t even play the same position in college. The guy we’re looking at in Vegas is an off ball LB. this guy is an edge defender. Being a hard hitter is way down the list of important traits for an edge defender. It’s more important for a LB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(Justin Wells) Just In Time Evening News: North Shore, Patton

Spoiler

By: Justin and Gerry

DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore (2022) (TEXAS):

One of UT's pledges for the 2022 class outdid himself with the shot put today to the tune of almost 61 feet.

Ross is scheduled to see Austin on June 18th-20th, with teammate and top UT target Denver Harris. Ross remains a strong commit, but Oklahoma and Ole Miss are pushing for visits.

We'd be surprised if Ross, and other pledges, don't take a few official visits. The 2022 class hasn't gotten to taste what on-campus recruiting is like, and it's only natural they want to experience some of that.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (2022):

The five-star from Houston is still UT's top priority at corner, but one school isn't letting up. Harris had his third Zoom meeting with Alabama and Nick Saban recently, and they continue to push the right buttons.

Harris, who is scheduled to take an OV to Austin on June 18th-20th, still talks to Texas on the regular. But with Jay Valai at Bama, the former UT cornerback coach has a solid foundation with the elite North Shore product.

Alabama has eyes on Harris and Terrance Brooks, and it's hard to see Saban not getting at least one of them. With Denver, this feels like a UT-Bama battle and it's not going to stop anytime soon.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (2022):

Two weeks since his UT offer, Patton is preparing for the district track meet this week. The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder from ETX has scheduled official visits to Oklahoma State and Texas Tech in June. He doesn't have anything scheduled with Texas yet, but is eager to keep building relationships with Jeff Choate and Blake Gideon.

Patton, who plays football, basketball, and runs track, says academics are actually a big deal to him. That's why the Texas and Michigan offers really resonated with him.

For now, Patton will focus making the area and regional meets. But Texas and seeing Austin is still on his mind.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? They won’t even play the same position in college. The guy we’re looking at in Vegas is an off ball LB. this guy is an edge defender. Being a hard hitter is way down the list of important traits for an edge defender. It’s more important for a LB. 

I'll defer to your opinion: Check out his HUDL and tell me what you see. I see more the defensive equivalent of Epps.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'll defer to your opinion: Check out his HUDL and tell me what you see. I see more the defensive equivalent of Epps.

I’ll try to look. He’s a middle of the road 3 star with just a decent offer list so he’s probably not super  impressive on film.

I was talking more about PK’s scheme. A guy like Jones who is 6’5 242 his junior year, will likely play DE or Buck, basically functions as a strong side defensive end. Whereas the Vegas kid who’s 6’3, 200 projects to either ILB or Jack (weak side edge rusher who lines up further off and will play in space more often), so the skill sets you’re looking for are different. 

• Like 1

Nick at Nite: Thoughts from my trip to El Paso

Spoiler

This week, I made the long trek out west to catch up with some recruits in the El Paso area, most notably Burges four-star running back Tavorus Jones.

We'll start with Jones, who is fresh off a track season and is getting his body back to 100-percent in off-season workouts before his last run with the Mustangs in the fall. He recently scheduled an official visit to Texas for June 18-20, and as of now it remains his only official visit scheduled. Jones has stayed in constant communication with running backs coach Stan Drayton since Texas became the first school to offer in April 2020. He is taking his official visit with Texas commit Jaydon Blue and is open to being in a two-back class where he can do some stuff out of the backfield. As it's shaping up, it seems that Texas would be the perfect fit for him at this point, so I've entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas with a confidence score of 7. Other schools that he holds interest in are Alabama, Penn State and Florida.

I wasn't able to catch up with him, but El Paso Andress safety Jeremiah Cooper continues to make some noise in the 915 as a recruit to watch. He currently holds 25 offers and has official visits scheduled to Baylor and Iowa State. He will attempt to take an unofficial visit to Texas when Jones makes his official visit, but things on both sides will have to be worked out. Texas is deep in the race for multiple big fish safety prospects, but I'm keeping Cooper as a name to monitor at this point if the Longhorns miss on their top targets.

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like RB recruiting is a TV show and I missed several episodes this season.

Early on, Tavorus Jones was a high 4 star guy, all Texas on Twitter, and making it on to a bunch of “realistic dream class” type posts. Then one of the pay sites (IT? I don’t remember) left him completely off their top 60 in state players, and his name wasn’t mentioned on this thread a single time in months, so I assumed he just started off wildly overrated or something. It happens. Now, in the last two weeks, he’s pretty much back in the calculator.

Meanwhile, every single pay site has been telling us for months that Jamarion Miller would be the likely RB2. Then it pretty much instantly went to “not gonna happen” out of the blue.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Early on, Tavorus Jones was a high 4 star guy, all Texas on Twitter, and making it on to a bunch of “realistic dream class” type posts. Then one of the pay sites (IT? I don’t remember) left him completely off their top 60 in state players, and his name wasn’t mentioned on this thread a single time in months, so I assumed he just started off wildly overrated or something. It happens. Now, in the last two weeks, he’s pretty much back in the calculator.

Gerry said that Jones should have been in their rankings.

Mike Roach:  Longhorns face a tough challenge in the race for Jacoby Mathews

Spoiler

Longhorns face a tough challenge in the race for Jacoby Mathews

Mike Roach

Jacoby Mathews thought he had his final six when he released it a few months ago, but a spring full of new offers and increased interest changed the calculus for the five-star safety from Ponchatoula (La.).

Yesterday, Mathews decided to revamp that group and added three new programs to the mix. In the last two months, Texas, Florida and LSU were generating buzz as the favorites and that was reflected with the Gators, Tigers and Longhorns remaining in the mix. Three newcomers to the list all offered Mathews this spring as Clemson, Arizona State and USC are the latest to make the cut.

Texas has been able to surge toward the top thanks to a strong effort from the Texas staff. Safeties coach Blake Gideon serves as the main point of contact while cornerbacks Terry Joseph serves as the area recruiter in Louisiana. A New Orleans native, Joseph has significant ties to Ponchatoula having played for head coach Hank Tierney.

Mathews is slated for a visit to Austin this summer with close friend and priority Texas recruit Bryce Anderson. Head coach Steve Sarkisian has also been a constant factor in this recruitment for the Longhorns as they look to close the deal with the elite prospect this summer.

When Mathews spoke with Horn247 in March, he said the fanbase is what stood out the most.

"When I think about Texas, I think about the big fanbase," he said. "I feel like a fanbase like that can't be beat. I've been to Texas a lot, I've got family out there. I've been to Austin before to watch a game. It's crazy. The fans are crazy, and I like it."

There are always challenges when it comes to recruiting elite out of state talent. In this case, Texas will have to get a kid out of SEC territory over a program like Florida and the strong in-state pull of LSU. Clemson’s presence should provide another big challenge while USC and Arizona State have both been recruiting at a high level in the last year.

Texas is certainly in a legitimate position to win Mathews over, but it will be a tough and bloody fight in order to finish.

At 6-foot-1, 204 pounds, Mathews is ranked as the No. 2 safety in the nation and No. 2 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting