Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Mike at Night: Offensive line recruiting coming into focus

Spoiler

— There haven't been any commitments yet for Kyle Flood but that doesn't mean things aren't progressing there. Flood has been relentless on the recruiting trail and knows he has some work to do to turn around the recent run of offensive line recruiting. The effort starts in state where Texas has quite a few options to choose from. With a full load of visitors coming in this summer, the Longhorns feel like they can sort things out with those in-state targets and figure out where to look in the second half of the cycle. While they have their lines in the water for several out of state studs, it feels like the best chances are always with the guys closer to campus. With that in mind, here are some quick notes on a few priority targets in Texas.

— Frisco offensive lineman Cole Hutson is in great shape and still growing. Texas remains in a strong position and a big part of that is the push from Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian. While Hutson had a good relationship with the previous staff it was also inconsistent. Despite Texas making a big impression early, they were fading by the time Tom Herman was fired. Flood has been able to rejuvenate things in a big way. Texas has been incredibly thorough in its recruitment. Hutson wants a quality education at a great business school and he's been able to speak with academic advisors and professors at McCombs. He cares about development which Kyle Flood can provide with his strong resume. He's had a few presentations with Torre Becton about the strength and conditioning program as well. Texas has its bases covered and Hutson's father has several friends and business associates who graduated from Texas and speak highly of McCombs. Hutson isn't ready to make a decision until he takes his visits, and those are ultimately going to be the big events that can separate one school from another. Hutson is an interior prospect who wants to play guard or center and that's where the Longhorns see him.

— Five-star Arlington Bowie OL Devon Campbell plays things close to the vest, but there is still a lot of confidence on the part of Texas. I've said many times that there's something to Texas being the constant in his recruitment all the way through, and I think it's a strong indicator that Campbell plans to take several unofficial visits to Texas and possibly save his official visit until the fall. Oklahoma is the biggest adversary for Texas from the way I see it. Bill Bedenbaugh's record of offensive line development speaks for itself, and the Sooners have always been a formidable presence in the DFW area. Despite his low-key nature, I see Texas in a good spot for Campbell. Campbell is viewed as a guy who could swing between guard and tackle.

— Another player I'm detecting more positivity with is Kelvin Banks. Banks is scheduled to visit Texas June 18-20, and there's some hope that getting him together with a large group of commits can help push Texas closer to the finish line. There has been some discussion on Banks' future position, but he's viewed as a tackle candidate all the way for the Longhorns. Texas A&M will pose the toughest challenge for him and Oklahoma is one to watch as well. There has been some talk about Banks and Kam Dewberry playing together at the next level. While both are certainly talking about it, we've seen reported package deals like these not work out before. I can see both guys doing what is best for each other.

— I feel Texas remains in a good place for Austin Westlake OL Connor Robertson, but the Stanford threat is becoming very real. Robertson has deep Texas ties but his family also has high aspirations when it comes to education. Robertson wants to study business which bodes well for Texas, but there is still a fight with the Cardinal on the horizon. If Texas can answer the questions about education to his satisfaction and show a plan to develop him, Texas can win the race. Robertson is seen as an interior prospect who could swing to tackle in a pinch.

— Allen OL Neto Umeozulu and Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry are two guys who are tougher to read. Umeozulu is consistently responsive with Texas and spoke to them today, but he doesn't seem to really enjoy the recruiting process. Dewberry has been responsive as well, but it sounds like he's closing ranks a bit more recently. Dewberry has been a big time recruit for three years now and it's common to see guys feel some fatigue and become more secretive with things. Dewberry and Umeozulu are both seen as guys who can swing from guard to tackle, and both are attainable for Flood despite an increasing lack of clarity around them.

— I exchanged a few text messages with Evan Stewart today. The five-star wide receiver from Frisco Liberty was originally scheduled to visit June 11-13, but he won't' make that trip due to Under Armour's Future50 camp. Stewart is still juggling his visits around and doesn't have a date locked in for Texas yet. He did say that he definitely plans to visit Texas officially and is likely to make a few unofficial visits as well with Austin so close to home.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck you Stanford 

Meh, look at his requirements

1. Education- Toughest thing about 'furd is getting in.  Its a joke after that.  So strike one

2. Status of the program- 'furd is heading down down down.  The talent has thinned considerably and the days of 10-2 and competing for the Pac 12 are over. Strike 2

3. Coaching stability- David Shaw's program playbook is coming undone and he is being exposed for the 2nd rate coach that he is.  When you dont have a McCaffrey or Love and your high end OL recruits "miss" and are average, 30 TEs and a cloud of dust doesnt work so well anymore.  Shaw is gone from 'furd in the next few years IMO.  Strike 3

This is what I tell myself anyway.  They are still tricking recruits into going there so shame on them.  Fuck Taco Bell U

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Shaw would probably be on the hot seat at a traditional powerhouse but I wonder how much Stanford administration really cares. He may have done enough in the past to earn himself a pretty long leash there.

Didn't they just have a crazy exodus of players transferring out of the program? Maybe that was a year ago but still. Seems like something is going on over there and that may be what sends him packing more than wins/losses

21 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

This is what I tell myself anyway.  They are still tricking recruits into going there so shame on them.  Fuck Taco Bell U

Soooo.... they're doing college football recruiting to one of the most beautiful and prestigious colleges in the country. Got it.

I'm no fan of Stanford, but David Shaw is hardly a nefarious mastermind. Most people I know that have met him think he's a really impressive person. Program is definitely heading in the wrong direction, though.

• Hook 'Em 3

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Seven Prospects Texas should or could offer

Spoiler

The Texas football staff continues to make offers to prospects in the class of 2022, 2023 and even 2024.

In the class of 2022 in-state specifically, there have been over 60 offers made by the Longhorns. With that said, there are several prospects IT believes Texas should offer. The reason IT believes the prospects should be offered could be the trend at a position, prospects IT believes are too good not to be offered, and prospects that are projected to be risers in May and next season.

WR Nicholas Anderson, Katy High
At nearly 6-foot-4 and 192-pounds with 4.6 laser timed speed and excellent change of direction, this one is a no brainer for IT. Not only does Anderson pass the physical test, but he crushes the mental evaluation. Anderson is laser focused and driven. He’s a prospect in which every step has a purpose. He’s also the best blocking receiver in a loaded class inside the state lines. This is a prospect that envisions a career in football, and consistently makes the sacrifices to maximize his ability as shown by driving from Katy to D/FW to train with Margin Hooks consistently.

Notre Dame headlines an offer list that includes Stanford, USC, TCU, Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Oregon, Arkansas, Penn State, Tennessee, Arizona State, California, Colorado, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

WR Matthew Golden, Klein Cain
While Golden doesn’t possess the size of Nicholas Anderson, there is a very similar trait. The 5-foot-11.5, 190-pound Golden is extremely competitive. He’s a football player, period. On a Friday night, one can see him line up at receiver, wildcat quarterback and in the return game. He punts, too. On a team with Texas verbal Jaydon Blue, Golden is considered the most valuable player by many of those at Klein Cain.

Golden has TCU, Wisconsin and Arkansas pushing hard, along with offers from Colorado, Houston, Cincinnati, Indiana and SMU among others.

OG/T Cam Williams, Duncanville High
Williams has tremendous upside. While the 6-foot-6 prospect is carrying around 30-pounds too much weight right now tipping the scales at around 385, he is still an athlete at that size. At last weekend's #GASO Own The State AAU tournament, the prospect with an over 80-inch wingspan and near 11-inch hands was dunking the basketball in warmups prior to games, and doing so in a fluid and impressive manner.

Williams will make an OV to Oregon in early June, and has programs such as Baylor, Arizona State, Auburn, Miami, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU, Ole Miss and Oklahoma in the mix.

WR Jay Fair, Rockwall-Heath
Another undervalued receiver in a loaded class. Fair posted over 70 receptions for 1,400 yards as a junior for a very talented offense at Rockwall-Heath. His quickness is elite, and he has speed nearly in the same category. Fair is a prospect that can win with initial quickness and in and out of cuts, as well as with speed and subtle moves after the catch.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pounder has official visits scheduled to TCU June 4-6, Florida June 11-13 and Auburn June 18-20. The offer list also includes Texas A&M, Arizona State, Baylor, Mississippi State, UCF, Tennessee and Utah among others.

DE Michael Ibukun-Okeyode, Rowlett High
The near 6-foot-5 and 235-pounder is another with a high ceiling to the point of recently retired Rowlett head coach Doug Stephens telling IT that the junior is ahead of where former Rowlett defensive end prospects Charles Omenihu and Damontre Moore were at the same age. Ibukun-Okeyode has the frame to carry more than 275 pounds, and could eventually find his way to the interior.

The Metroplex prospect has official visits scheduled to Oklahoma State June 11, Kansas State June 18 and SMU June 24 with Arizona State and Baylor also heavily involved. Florida State and Ole Miss are also recent offers that could shake up the recruitment.

WR Landon Samson, Southlake Carroll
Yes, the 6-foot-1, 180-pounder is Quinn Ewers' best buddy on the Dragons team. Yes, that could only help in the continued recruitment of the nation's top ranked prospect, but Samson is very good on his own. Samson consistently runs in the 4.5s, and has a work ethic with Riley Dodge and staff to match. This is not only an athletic wide receiver with terrific hands, but also an intelligent one with Ivy League offers.

Programs that have offered Samson with zero hopes of signing Quinn Ewers include Baylor, Utah, Nebraska, Boise State, Colorado, Duke and SMU.

OT Alvin Ebosele, Coppell High
Ebosele has gone from 6-foot-5, 245-pounds a year ago to nearly 6-foot-6 and closing in on 300-pounds today. Not only does he possess a terrific frame, but also displays quick initial movement skills, knee bend and an otherworldly wingspan with over 10-inch hands.

Ebosele is scheduled to make an OV to Baylor in late June, and has the likes of Oklahoma State, TCU, Ole Miss and Texas Tech in the running.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Samson consistently runs in the 4.5s, and has a work ethic with Riley Dodge and staff to match. This is not only an athletic wide receiver with terrific hands, but also an intelligent one with Ivy League offers.

I've read this about 10 times and still don't know what the first sentence means but somehow I get the vibe that this kid is white. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Soooo.... they're doing college football recruiting to one of the most beautiful and prestigious colleges in the country. Got it.

I'm no fan of Stanford, but David Shaw is hardly a nefarious mastermind. Most people I know that have met him think he's a really impressive person. Program is definitely heading in the wrong direction, though.

I hate Stanford with the fire of a thousand suns but that sentence was intended as sarcasm.  I have also heard that he is a really nice, good person.  Their campus still looks like Taco Bell had an abortion though so lets knock it off about the "beautiful" nonsense

I think Anderson is awesome, and I'd love it if we offered, but this is quintessential IT. It's a "no-brainer" offer when none of the regional powers, including the WR factory that his brother attended, have offered him.

WR Nicholas Anderson, Katy High
At nearly 6-foot-4 and 192-pounds with 4.6 laser timed speed and excellent change of direction, this one is a no brainer for IT. Not only does Anderson pass the physical test, but he crushes the mental evaluation. Anderson is laser focused and driven. He’s a prospect in which every step has a purpose. He’s also the best blocking receiver in a loaded class inside the state lines. This is a prospect that envisions a career in football, and consistently makes the sacrifices to maximize his ability as shown by driving from Katy to D/FW to train with Margin Hooks consistently.

Notre Dame headlines an offer list that includes Stanford, USC, TCU, Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Oregon, Arkansas, Penn State, Tennessee, Arizona State, California, Colorado, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think Anderson is awesome, and I'd love it if we offered, but this is quintessential IT. It's a "no-brainer" offer when none of the regional powers, including the WR factory that his brother attended, have offered him.

Also since he trains for Hooks, I’m sure UT knows all about him. He could be a good backup plan, and like you said, none of the regional powers have offered, so there’s got to be a reason. 

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Part of it is probably their perception that last year's staff waited too long to move on second-tier options when it became clear they weren't going to land the top guys (e.g., Earle). Nahlin and Gerry still haven't forgiven them for not moving on J. Michael Sturdivant.

The guy who ran a 4.7 40 with a 4.3 shuttle and ended up at Cal? 
This isn’t just a last year thing. It seems like every year IT white knights for a couple decent in-state prospects and then acts like the world is ending if UT doesn’t move on them. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This isn’t just a last year thing. It seems like every year IT white knights for a couple decent in-state prospects and then acts like the world is ending if UT doesn’t move on them. 

Yeah, I'm more than happy with Keithron Lee as our eventual WR backup plan in that class.

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also since he trains for Hooks, I’m sure UT knows all about him. He could be a good backup plan, and like you said, none of the regional powers have offered, so there’s got to be a reason. 

Backup plan? Clearly you haven't been paying attention to their writeups. We're talking about a surefire mid first round NFL draft pick here, sir. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, I'm more than happy with Keithron Lee as our eventual WR backup plan in that class.

We got lucky, though. We didn't even really recruit the 2nd tier of guys until we had to and Lee fell into our laps. Sturdivant is a good example of a guy we could have locked down, but Hal Presley is a better example of a guy we should have locked down. Instead, he took his 4.45 laser on a 6'3 frame to Auburn.

IT isn't wrong about keeping the second and third tier warm with offers, but this staff hasn't shown that to be an issue. They're not wrong about moving on from tier 1 guys not going to Texas, but this staff has already shown their capable of that. I think this is the root of some of the distrust of their takes this cycle. It's just business as usual over there without any context of the actual landscape. Nick Anderson is a good prospect, but we're currently sitting fine with the top of the board, and are keeping others warm. Move on, Gerry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

His other brother is at Indiana after starting at Ole Miss, neither has offered. He plays at Katy so every coach in the country is not only aware of him but has seen every game and he's got 2 brothers that have gone on to P5. He is a backup/2nd tier option.

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sturdivant ... Hal Presley is a better example of a guy we should have locked down. Instead, he took his 4.45 laser on a 6'3 frame to Auburn.

Very much this. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

His other brother is at Indiana after starting at Ole Miss, neither has offered. He plays at Katy so every coach in the country is not only aware of him but has seen every game and he's got 2 brothers that have gone on to P5. He is a backup/2nd tier option.

Very much this. 

Didn't know about the other brother. Ole Miss thrives on second-tier Texas WRs, too. Do his brothers think he's a dick?

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Good context. So, he's seen the process intimately, understands the expectations of a P5 program, and will put in the work to get there. IT talks about his drive like he's a fucking unicorn when really he's just not wasting his exposure. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Spoiler

***First, was told that Terrance Brooks has begun to quietly narrow things down. I recently reported that Brooks chose to take his official visit to Texas on the big June 18th-20th weekend. That seemed pretty significant because OU has their recruiting weekend that weekend, as well.

Well, I’m told that OU has fallen behind Texas and some other schools. It sounds like Bama, TAMU and Notre Dame are going to be Texas’ stiffest competition.

Have to say, Gideon and Joseph…man, those dudes can recruit.

***Also, I saw Chris Marshall at the NOLA Pylon this past weekend. Marshall was a guy that Texas really liked and he seemed to like Texas, early on.

Then, as I noted just before he dropped his top eight, things began to trend away from Texas.

However, even I was surprised that Texas didn’t even make the top eight. I did ask him about that. Why leave the flagship school of your state out of your top eight?

After saying positive things about the staff, I pretty much got the sense that there just wasn’t the vibe or fit between Chris and the Texas position coach. It happens in football recruiting as it does in life.

Priority now is going to be Evan Stewart and keeping Armani Winfield in the boat. Shazz Preston is another guy I’m told Texas really likes but unfortunately I wasn’t able to catch him at the Pylon. His team lost early and I didn’t expect that.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Hide contents

***First, was told that Terrance Brooks has begun to quietly narrow things down. I recently reported that Brooks chose to take his official visit to Texas on the big June 18th-20th weekend. That seemed pretty significant because OU has their recruiting weekend that weekend, as well.

Well, I’m told that OU has fallen behind Texas and some other schools. It sounds like Bama, TAMU and Notre Dame are going to be Texas’ stiffest competition.

Have to say, Gideon and Joseph…man, those dudes can recruit.

***Also, I saw Chris Marshall at the NOLA Pylon this past weekend. Marshall was a guy that Texas really liked and he seemed to like Texas, early on.

Then, as I noted just before he dropped his top eight, things began to trend away from Texas.

However, even I was surprised that Texas didn’t even make the top eight. I did ask him about that. Why leave the flagship school of your state out of your top eight?

After saying positive things about the staff, I pretty much got the sense that there just wasn’t the vibe or fit between Chris and the Texas position coach. It happens in football recruiting as it does in life.

Priority now is going to be Evan Stewart and keeping Armani Winfield in the boat. Shazz Preston is another guy I’m told Texas really likes but unfortunately I wasn’t able to catch him at the Pylon. His team lost early and I didn’t expect that.

Texas dropped Marshall. Flat out. Some shit isn’t worth the trouble and makes a player easy to remove completely from a board. Other schools can worry about keeping/getting those guys right and healthy and Texas can take a comp without the same risk. 

• Hook 'Em 9

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My view is that Texas is going to have a big summer and some of the noise about tertiary targets at spots like OL and WR goes away. Even Herman’s crew was cleaning up ahead of last season and this staff is a far better recruiting staff. 

This is my view as well because I can't think about it any other way.  I don't blame the stagnation on the staff.  Until visits open up for everyone there is no need to believe the sky is falling.  I know a lot of the recruits are also going to make decisions this summer but I am praying that it will benefit us for the guys selecting late that we actually put a very improved product on the field.

1. Education- Toughest thing about 'furd is getting in.  Its a joke after that.  So strike one
2. Status of the program- 'furd is heading down down down.  The talent has thinned considerably and the days of 10-2 and competing for the Pac 12 are over. Strike 2
3. Coaching stability- David Shaw's program playbook is coming undone and he is being exposed for the 2nd rate coach that he is.  When you dont have a McCaffrey or Love and your high end OL recruits "miss" and are average, 30 TEs and a cloud of dust doesnt work so well anymore.  Shaw is gone from 'furd in the next few years IMO.  Strike 3
I would tend to disagree here, but I have cousin who has been with Stanford about 15 years now, and when asked about this she just gives a smirk and says "Stanford has a great grad program for the most part" Make of that however you want, but she wont discuss undergrad..

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas can take a comp without the same risk. 

Right now we have Winfield committed with the potential for 4-5, conventional wisdom says 4 and maybe a best available. Realistic targets, no order. 

Armani Winfield - Texas

Kevin Coleman - Texas v Alabama. Kaden Saunders recently liked a tweet from a pedo st mbu who said he's a silent to them, so that's annoying, but probably bullshit. 

Evan Stewart - Wake me up in February

Jordan Hudson - blOU, still listening

CJ Williams - Would we take a commitment from him today?

Shazz Preston - Brother at mississaggy, and swamp aggy doesn't usually lose recruits like this

Nick Anderson - Contingency

Brenen Thompson - Clemson probably, but maybe not

If we can keep Winfield, I'd be happy with literally any combination of the last 3-4. There are a variety of offers out to mid 4*, OOS guys that our 9.95ers don't have sources around, so we don't know about our recruiting effort for those kids. No idea how it will shake out, but none of these guys are reportedly off the table. 

Shaw would probably be on the hot seat at a traditional powerhouse but I wonder how much Stanford administration really cares. He may have done enough in the past to earn himself a pretty long leash there.
He does have a longer leash than most coaches at state school blue bloods, but there are a sizeable number of alumni who got spoiled by Stanford having some really good teams in recent years...the problem is those teams were mostly under Shaw. Kinda the same dilemma we had with Mack near the end of his run..

spacer.png

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Momentum bias cuts both ways and can sometimes be illusory. When Texas was getting one commitment every week, it looked like Texas was signing everyone. Probably wasn’t going to be true. Now, nothing is happening, so holy shit, Texas may not sign anyone! Also not true. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sturdivant is running low 10.7s right now, fwiw 

Edit: last weekend- 10.71, 21.52 and 23'4.75"

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Right now we have Winfield committed with the potential for 4-5, conventional wisdom says 4 and maybe a best available. Realistic targets, no order. 

Armani Winfield - Texas

Kevin Coleman - Texas v Alabama. Kaden Saunders recently liked a tweet from a pedo st mbu who said he's a silent to them, so that's annoying, but probably bullshit. 

Evan Stewart - Wake me up in February

Jordan Hudson - blOU, still listening

CJ Williams - Would we take a commitment from him today?

Shazz Preston - Brother at mississaggy, and swamp aggy doesn't usually lose recruits like this

Nick Anderson - Contingency

Brenen Thompson - Clemson probably, but maybe not

If we can keep Winfield, I'd be happy with literally any combination of the last 3-4. There are a variety of offers out to mid 4*, OOS guys that our 9.95ers don't have sources around, so we don't know about our recruiting effort for those kids. No idea how it will shake out, but none of these guys are reportedly off the table. 

CJ Williams as a take depends upon how badly Texas wants Murphy to be in the class. Clarity on Ewers probably tells us whether or not Texas will take Williams.

I don't follow the player rankings at this point the way some of y'all do so I don't know whether Williams has gained or slipped in the updates, but I assume he's still a composite top 100 guy? Based on what looks like growing consensus among gurus and staffs, I assume this dude winds up being a fringe top 250 national guy. If he commits somewhere before the fall, I expect that fanbase's recruitniks to cry all kinds of foul as he drops. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CJ Williams as a take depends upon how badly Texas wants Murphy to be in the class. Clarity on Ewers probably tells us whether or not Texas will take Williams.

I don't follow the player rankings at this point the way some of y'all do so I don't know whether Williams has gained or slipped in the updates, but I assume he's still a composite top 100 guy? Based on what looks like growing consensus among gurus and staffs, I assume this dude winds up being a fringe top 250 national guy. If he commits somewhere before the fall, I expect that fanbase's recruitniks to cry all kinds of foul as he drops. 

I can't believe a hyper-polished but athletically limited guy at a traditional national powerhouse high school was initially overranked. It boggles the mind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

I would tend to disagree here, but I have cousin who has been with Stanford about 15 years now, and when asked about this she just gives a smirk and says "Stanford has a great grad program for the most part" Make of that however you want, but she wont discuss undergrad..

The grad program is outstanding, world class and deserves plenty of respect.  Their undergrad is a morass of grade inflation and entitlement.  Getting a 4.0 at 'furd undergrad consists of having a warm pulse and showing up to most of the classes

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

currently composite #71 player overall and #7 in CA. 247 has him at #45 overall and #3 in CA

composite history:

Spoiler

6nlQlt0e

247 history:

Spoiler

jp3O7eBq

looking at his timeline, he has official visits scheduled to ND on June 5 and tOSU on June 11.

if anyone cares, here is his hudl: https://www.hudl.com/profile/9740596/CJ-Williams

i think he has 3 games worth of highlights on it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

The grad program is outstanding, world class and deserves plenty of respect.  Their undergrad is a morass of grade inflation and entitlement.  Getting a 4.0 at 'furd undergrad consists of having a warm pulse and showing up to most of the classes

Oh my god this scholarship football player might have easy classes? Heavens to betsy.

Also passing is easy. A 4.0 if you're remotely challenging yourself on class selection is quite hard.

If he wants to be challenged, he can absolutely find it. And he gets that Stanford degree at the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Any chance that we only want 3 wide receivers if they are the right 3. Coleman, Stewart, and Winfield would be pretty salty.

No. 

Sark has shown to be reliant on his best group at WR. If I had to guess our rotation this year, it would be something like Omeire/Whittington/Smith followed by Washington/Dixon/Moore with Dixon essentially an extension of the first group. Looking at the list of prospects in play, I can't see anyone that wouldn't show up immediately on the 2-deep. 

12 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh my god this scholarship football player might have easy classes? Heavens to betsy.

Also passing is easy. A 4.0 if you're remotely challenging yourself on class selection is quite hard.

If he wants to be challenged, he can absolutely find it. And he gets that Stanford degree at the end.

Can you two pedantic erudites take your Stanford academics discussion to the non-UT recruiting thread? Fuck me. We're discussing hair styles, WRs, and retired ballerinas here, for Christ's sake.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They’re just convinced we’re:

a) not going to land most of our top targets 

and

b) going to take some OOS guys that aren’t necessary when comparable or better talent is in UT’s back yard. 

I’m not arguing that they’re right or wrong on either front, but those reasons are the drivers. 

Momentum bias cuts both ways and can sometimes be illusory. When Texas was getting one commitment every week, it looked like Texas was signing everyone. Probably wasn’t going to be true. Now, nothing is happening, so holy shit, Texas may not sign anyone! Also not true. 

No one really knows what’s going to happen when the dead period ends. Why commit somewhere that you’re yet to visit to a staff you haven’t seen coach a game yet? Why decommit from somewhere else until you can see other places for yourself? 

My view is that Texas is going to have a big summer and some of the noise about tertiary targets at spots like OL and WR goes away. Even Herman’s crew was cleaning up ahead of last season and this staff is a far better recruiting staff. 

It's the most 9.95 thing they can do at this point to drum up clicks.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Didn't know about the other brother. Ole Miss thrives on second-tier Texas WRs, too. Do his brothers think he's a dick?

???

Top 3 pass catching receivers from each year from Texas

2020 - None

2019 - None

2018 - Lodge again

2017 - Lodge but he was  highly rated

2016 - Quincy Adeboyejo only second tier prospect the last 5 years for Ole Miss

2021 Recruiting class has JJ Henry out of McKinney North as a second tier maybe even third tier.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting