Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT

Spoiler

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie (2022): One of the nation's top offensive linemen had one goal on Thursday; make it to track and field regionals. The five-star finished third in the shot put, one inch behind first, in the 6A area tack meet and will be headed to regionals next week.

In the meantime, he took a student visit to Austin last weekend with family. He wanted to see UT again, the last time was in January 2020. He really enjoyed touring the campus and meeting with a few high school friends. Despite setting up officials to OU and USC, Campbell insists he'll take his Texas official. It just might be during the season rather than this summer.

At any rate, Campbell is set to see UT no less than two more times before the end of his senior year. Kyle Flood has been tremendous here, as Texas continues to set the pace.

DE/LB Zac Swanson, Brophy Prep (Arizona) (2022): With the dead period ending soon, the four-star still wants to see Texas next month. He's scheduling his official visits, and Oregon and USC will likely get one, but Swanson is determined to see Austin in May. He's looking at a student visit next month, and wants to get a feel for the campus without burning an official visit. This is another data point where UT might be his quiet leader.

OT Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek, OK (2023): The 6-foot-5, 285-pound four-star tackle from north of the Red River is excited about the NCAA lifting the dead period, like most prospects. Holding 19 offers including OU, Alabama, Stanford, and Texas A&M, the three-sport athlete in football, wrestling, and track & field has scheduled his official visit to Texas on June 11th-13th.

Sexton is a noted Sooners lean, but is still staying close to UT offensive line coach Kyle Flood. We still feel like OU is the team to beat, but you have to love the attitude of the UT staff putting in the work for a potential future All Big 12 selection. UT needs tackles and Sexton is one of the best.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

What was the tweet? Deleted now.

Here is the tweet Armani was replying to:

It just said that's the whole reason he's going to Texas. Probably deleted because the comment section was full of people meme'ing on our recent draft woes.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here is the tweet Armani was replying to:

It just said that's the whole reason he's going to Texas. Probably deleted because the comment section was full of people meme'ing on our recent draft woes.

Just remember to refer to all the Alabama draft picks as "NFL 1st Rounders developed by the current head coach at Texas." Just repeat it over and over again like SEC fans do for anything that reflects positively on them.

(Darius Terrell) Quick Hitter – 2022 LB Robby Snelling

Spoiler

As luck would have it, I was able to get into contact with recent Texas LB offer Robby Snelling (Reno, NV) to get his thoughts on the Texas program and what his plans are for the summer.

First off, Snelling (6’2 215) is being recruited to play both Baseball and Football in college and right now he’s only seriously considering programs that will afford him that opportunity.

Texas LB Coach Jeff Choate has been the primary contact and after picking up an official offer on April 5th, Snelling wasted no time at all setting up an official visit to Texas for the weekend of June 11th. He also has official visits for June scheduled to Oregon and Arizona.

Snelling, who describes himself as a player that “plays fast and flies around with no regard for my body” mentioned to me that he’s looking for the best fit between both the Football and Baseball programs at each respective university. He will also be “very interested in how my time will be spent and the places that I can go while we aren’t doing athletics.”

Texas has a chance to make a lasting impression in June and I feel comfortable stating that there is a very strong chance right now that Snelling is one of the pieces to the LB puzzle this cycle.

Just now, RGBIII said:

Oh I know, Pierce is a witch but haven’t heard them mentioned at all, just Clemson and ND

Notre Dame basically bowed out last week due to numbers.

Clemson can probably get him if they want, but they’re in on like ten stud DEs, and who knows who they prefer and how many spots they’re allotting to the position? They go to the beat of their own drum more than the other elite programs in evaluations, and they also tend to take smaller classes than the others. It’s not a lock that he’ll even be a take for them

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Maalik’s great 7 on 7 showings demonstrated his ceiling as a passer in real football, which is really high. The Cali spring “football” demonstrates how far he has to go to get there 

We prefer him to get there sooner than later, but there’s a decent chance we won’t even need him for three or four years, if we even end up needing him at all

And if we do need him before he’s truly ready? Sark is an excellent playaction coach, and can probably draw up some game plans that help him and limit his flaw 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Fud said:

The Cali spring “football” demonstrates how far he has to go to get there 

It also shows how far his receivers have to go to be able to use their hands to actually catch a football.

Maalik is certainly not polished yet, but my goodness that team would be miles better with a decent receiver.

Just now, Jabberwocky said:

It also shows how far his receivers have to go to be able to use their hands to actually catch a football.

Maalik is certainly not polished yet, but my goodness that team would be miles better with a decent receiver.

The spring Cali football is a mess 

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Playing behind that OL is breeding bad habits. He throws off his back foot seemingly every time.

Throws off his back foot, locks in on his pre-snap read, uncomfortable even in clean pockets, and more I'm sure.

His body language out there was also terrible considering the game situation and what was on the line. For someone who seemingly chose to be at that school instead of a more talented prep school, he sure didn't look like it.

At least this will take even more of the shine off, and hopefully let him get a chip on his shoulder.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting