Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

(Super K) Jeremy Patton set to Visit

Spoiler

Last month, I stopped by Tenaha, TX to see 2022 linebacker, Jeremy Patton.

At the time, Patton had recently picked up a Texas offer. He told me the offer had actually come from coach Sark and Jeremy’s actual contact with the defensive staff was limited at that point.

I’ve noted, that is sort of the way of things with some prospects. Arlis Boardingham was a similar situation. Sark gets in early and then the position coaches move in after.

That seems to have happened here with Patton. Jeremy has set up an official visit to Texas for the June 4th-6th weekend.

At the time, he had noted the other official visits he’d like to take were Baylor, Oklahoma State, Michigan and Tennessee. Oklahoma State was his first offer and the emotion with which he spoke about what that offer meant to him and his family was palpable.

He did tell me that his family basically grew up split between LSU and Texas fans. He has an uncle he’s close to who is a big Texas fan. I think that could really play in Texas’ favor.

He’s the type of player I’ve been saying Texas needs to get. He doesn’t necessarily have the ranking level but he has upside and he’s focused. You can win championships with guys like that in your third year.

42 minutes ago, Machinator said:

While most have him pegged for the Midwest, there’s a sense he’s open and wants to see what’s happening west of the Mississippi.

Half of the Midwest is West of the Mississippi - Half of Minn., all of Iowa, Kansas and Missouri. Plus, the Ohio is larger than the Mississippi when they join west of Paducah, Kentucky.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Everything matters in recruiting.

Relationships matter, facilities matter, winning matters and the sales pitch very much matters. Like anything sales-related, the presentation can play a big role in winning or losing.

Inspired by a Horns247 subscriber's suggestion, I decided to look into what pitches could resonate with certain recruits. While one player may need to be pitched on playing time, another may need to be sold on fit.

The Pitch: Texas will have some advantage when Tuihalamaka makes his visit on June 18.

The Pitch: Texas is using the connections Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski have out west to expand into territories they haven’t been able to reach in the past.

Roach seemed to forget what the whole theme of his column was after a couple of paragraphs. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (Evanston, IL)

For now, the staff needs to hang around the rim. Cheeks likes Notre Dame quite a bit, but the Domers have taken a lot of players at his position.

These guys aren't as slick as they think they are.

Edited by Mason Ramsey

Ears to the Streets did a recruiting chat today.

Spoiler

Q: Do you expect Gatson to commit before June 18 to lock in his spot for Jones visits?? Who would you take of the two?

A: I don't think Texas will make a move there before finding out where things stand with Jones and Tre'Vonte Citizen.

Q: Do you think Texas can swoop in and get Cam Williams?

A: if they push I think they can make a big run. Visits will make the biggest difference but yeah i do think it's a winnable recruitment.

Q: Who are some of your favorite under the radar kids who either have Texas offers or are being evaluated closely by Texas? Who do you think is the most underrated kid in the state is?

A: One guy I really love is Mt. Pleasant WR/TE Miller McCrumby. I think he's the perfect type of project tight end to grow into a future star. One guy I really like who is completely off the radar is McKinney Boyd LB Ethan Wesloski.

Q: In a perfect world, who all would Texas sign at WR in '22? In a realistic world, who all will Texas sign at WR in '22?

A: Perfect world: Evan Stewart, Brenen Thompson, Armani Winfield, Kevin Coleman/CJ Williams. I think Stewart and Thompson are realistic with Coleman and Williams being more of the unknown factors.

Q: 1. Who are your next 5 to commit? 2. How far away are we from another commitment?

A: I won't say next five but I like where Texas stands with Tavorus Jones, Brenen Thompson, Connor Robertson, Sebastian Cheeks and Bryce Anderson. I think I'd look for late June after visits before decision start being made.

Q: Any positive momentum towards Texas for some prospects thought to be going elsewhere?

A: I think things have shaped up well with Terrance Brooks and I'm buying into where things are going with Sebastian Cheeks. I really like what I'm hearing about 2023 five-star Anthony Hill. The Longhrons have quietly done a great job turning that race around.

Q: Are we looking at any transfer WRs?

A: Not to my knowledge

Q: First offensive lineman commit?

A: I'd lean Robertson or maybe Kelvin Banks.

Q: Do you think we get a commitment on the big visit weekend

A: It may not get announced that weekend but I think it's likely a silent or two would be given and announced later.

Q: Do we get another commitment before June?

A: I think guys are going to wait to take visits.

Q: O/U 14.5 commits by the end of July?

A: 14 probably feels like the right number so i'll say just under.

Q: Latest on the USC LB?

A: Not a lot new. Confidence is waning in Austin.

Q: Thoughts on Boardingham as a prospect?

A: I really like the athletic profile. He looks good on film but I haven't seen him live.

Q: Mike who do you believe has been the best recruiter so far under Sark? How does Sark recruit differently than Herman? Thank you!

A: I like what Bo Davis has done so far. I like what Kyle Flood, Jeff Choate and Blake Gideon are doing when it comes to the guys they are working on. Overall, this staff recruits as a team much better. Herman's staff did this in the first two years but for some reason just stopped doing it. I haven't heard much of the complaints of inconsistent contact and each recruit i talk to seems to be hearing from 3-4 members of the staff.

Follow up Q: What about Jeff Banks in recruiting?

A: He's been involved in just about everything. So far he's been worth the reputation he came with.

Q: How do you feel about the Secondary options In State compared to Out of State for Class of 23?

A: It depends on the position. There are always years where some positions are stronger and deeper than others.

Q: Mike When will Texas get its first offensive lineman commitment?

A: I'd guess this summer.

Q: Who are the two recruits that Texas is not pushing for at the moment that you think they should be prioritizing?

A: I would have liked to see them push for Jarred Kerr who I really like. Julian Humphrey is a guy I'd like to see offered at corner who can play anywhere in the secondary.

Q: Mike, I get the sense that this summer is gonna be one like we've never seen before. Do you get that feeling when being around the kids? And do you think the staff is equipped to deal with the new landscape of the recruiting world, with the new transfer rules, Image and likeness, and just the overall change in the mindset of alot of kids?

A: I think some of these kids are like a dog chasing a car. They have an idea of things but I don't think even they know what it's going to be like. When they catch the car they wont' know what to do with it. While I anticipate a crazy summer, the one thing I've learned is recruiting doesn't always happen like you expect.

Q: What is the most important trait/skill set you look for when evaluating Defensive lineman?

A: Flexibility and lateral movement. I love versatility too. If a guy can line up in several different fronts and alignments the better.

Q: IT has stated that it likes our chances with Quinn and that they feel confident in eventually landing him. What are your current thoughts? Do we still have a chance? Trust your opinion more.

A: I think there are still open lines of communication on both sides and something could happen depending on how the fall goes. I wouldn't say I love the chances of it happening because getting a second decommitment is always tough and I expect Ohio State to have a strong year. Do I think it could happen? yes. If you had me put odds on it I don't think I'd say it's better than a 50% chance right now. If something were to happen it would be a long way off. As I said when I went out there, there's nothing to see right now but it's a situation we will continue to monitor.

Q: Who is the better guard prospect between Kam dewberry and Tyler Johnson?

A: I'd say Dewberry.

Q: Is our chances of getting palaie gaoteote close to zero now?

A: I wouldn't say zero but they've gone from favorite to underdog.

Q: O/U 2.5 of the following end up at TX? Denver Harris, Evan Stewart, Kelvin Banks, Kam Dewberry, B. Anderson

A: over.

Q: How many takes for the offensive and defensive line for 2022?

A: I think 10-12 combined.

Q: When do you see NIL starting to make big impacts on recruiting?

A: Those bills are still being passed in states but it's already a big recruiting pitch. It's starting to matter now.

Q: When will Texas just dedicate a class to finding as many OL as possible to fix the systemic issue of finding the right guys?

A: Do you mean by dedicate a class that they should take 25 offensive linemen? I think they set out year after year to fix that program but the evaluation, recruiting and development hasnt been there. You hope Kyle Flood changes that.

Follow up Q: Man, not 25 obviously. But how about a class where instead of taking a bunch of TES and WRs we find two extra large him beings that are under the radar? I think a class of 7 OL would be great. I wouldn't be opposed to a smaller one if they reeled in two transfers, one that could start at guard this year. I'm still hesitant to say we are set with the SE two guys that have been exposed in pass pro alot.

A: I could see 6 if they find the right ones but you have to continue to fill your other positions.

Q: I know people don't want to hear Quinn's name anymore but his name keeps coming up over on IT. I trust you the most when it comes to recruiting so are those guys over there chasing a ghost or is there really a chance he flips? Thanks Mike.

A: Addressed this in another post. My initial instinct was to not put you guys through this rollercoaster until it mattered but it just won't seem to go away.

Q: Which position group are you most concerned about and which position group do you feel the best about as of today?

A: Corner seems like an unknown to me. Texas is in a good spot with their targets but not the runaway leader. it's going to be a tightrope if they miss on those guys. I still like where things stand at safety.

Q: Where do we stand with Harold Perkins?

A: It's hard to say anymore. We seem to get a different message every time we ask about him. This recruitment still has a long way to go.

Q: You don’t want to take us through the rollercoaster of Quinn Ewers, but it’s a huge deal for Sark and his California ties if he accepts a Quinn Ewers commitment while also having another elite prospect committed in Malik Murphy. How would that effect recruiting California for this year and beyond if that were to happen?

A: I'm not sure it would have a major effect. California doesn't seem to have the same type of attitude about things like that as Texas.

Q: Most Underrated player from 2023 in the State?!

A: A guy I'm really growing to like is 2023 Denton Guyer QB Jackson Arnold.

Q: Whose the better tackle prospect between Tyler Johnson and Kelvin Banks?

A: I liked Johnson more at the time but he hasn't panned out yet so it's hard to answer that question with hindsight.

Q: Ceiling and floor for 22' class ranking at the end?

A: Ceiling is Top 5. I think the floor is probably 15-18

Q: As far as both Cornerback and safety... Does it seem to be better players in state or out state for 23 cycle ?

A: As of now it seems like a bit more of a down year but plenty of guys will emerge this fall.

Q: Mike, if you had to predict right now does Texas get Denver Harris

A: I mean i still have a Crystal Ball in for him. I don't know if I could make a prediction on where he goes now but I haven't heard anything compelling enough to change it yet.

Q: Scale of 0-10, how dependent is our 2022 class on the results of this year’s team?

A: 6 or 7

Q: Where does Texas stand with Jaden Greathouse

A: i don't get the feeling they are pushing that hard at the moment.

Q: So visits will be huge and we'll get some commits out of them for sure, but I've got to imagine there are an equal amount of kids who aren't buying into the hype yet (rightfully so) until they see the product on the field. Who are some of the top Texas kids we're pursuing that are being more cautious with the hype, but where wins/losses will be a major and main factor if that makes any sense

A: I think guys want to see signs of growth. Kam Dewberry, Omari Abor, Harold Perkins fall into that group.

• Hook 'Em 1

There is always always always one of these guys on a recruiting board

Q: When will Texas just dedicate a class to finding as many OL as possible to fix the systemic issue of finding the right guys?

A: Do you mean by dedicate a class that they should take 25 offensive linemen? I think they set out year after year to fix that program but the evaluation, recruiting and development hasnt been there. You hope Kyle Flood changes that.

Follow up Q: Man, not 25 obviously. But how about a class where instead of taking a bunch of TES and WRs we find two extra large him beings that are under the radar? I think a class of 7 OL would be great. I wouldn't be opposed to a smaller one if they reeled in two transfers, one that could start at guard this year. I'm still hesitant to say we are set with the SE two guys that have been exposed in pass pro alot.

A: I could see 6 if they find the right ones but you have to continue to fill your other positions.

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Dude. He's a fucking 2023 QB that already has 4-5 P5 offers and it's May of 2021.  He plays for a powerhouse program. Yeah, I know he's not currently in the top 50 in the state but come on that's not the spirit of the fucking question.  FFS, there's only one QB ranked in the top 56 in the state and that's Edmundson at 48. I suspect that will change a fucking ton but 247 is clearly being super cautious about ranking QBs for 2023. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Dude. He's a fucking 2023 QB that already has 4-5 P5 offers and it's May of 2021.  He plays for a powerhouse program. Yeah, I know he's not currently in the top 50 in the state but come on that's not the spirit of the fucking question.  FFS, there's only one QB ranked in the top 56 in the state and that's Edmundson at 48. I suspect that will change a fucking ton but 247 is clearly being super cautious about ranking QBs for 2023. 

Two of his three underrated/under the radar kids (Arnold and Wesloski) were swoopy-haired white kids from large DFW programs. Roach has a type.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ears to the Streets did a recruiting chat today.

Reveal hidden contents

Q: Do you expect Gatson to commit before June 18 to lock in his spot for Jones visits?? Who would you take of the two?

A: I don't think Texas will make a move there before finding out where things stand with Jones and Tre'Vonte Citizen.

Q: Do you think Texas can swoop in and get Cam Williams?

A: if they push I think they can make a big run. Visits will make the biggest difference but yeah i do think it's a winnable recruitment.

Q: Who are some of your favorite under the radar kids who either have Texas offers or are being evaluated closely by Texas? Who do you think is the most underrated kid in the state is?

A: One guy I really love is Mt. Pleasant WR/TE Miller McCrumby. I think he's the perfect type of project tight end to grow into a future star. One guy I really like who is completely off the radar is McKinney Boyd LB Ethan Wesloski.

Q: In a perfect world, who all would Texas sign at WR in '22? In a realistic world, who all will Texas sign at WR in '22?

A: Perfect world: Evan Stewart, Brenen Thompson, Armani Winfield, Kevin Coleman/CJ Williams. I think Stewart and Thompson are realistic with Coleman and Williams being more of the unknown factors.

Q: 1. Who are your next 5 to commit? 2. How far away are we from another commitment?

A: I won't say next five but I like where Texas stands with Tavorus Jones, Brenen Thompson, Connor Robertson, Sebastian Cheeks and Bryce Anderson. I think I'd look for late June after visits before decision start being made.

Q: Any positive momentum towards Texas for some prospects thought to be going elsewhere?

A: I think things have shaped up well with Terrance Brooks and I'm buying into where things are going with Sebastian Cheeks. I really like what I'm hearing about 2023 five-star Anthony Hill. The Longhrons have quietly done a great job turning that race around.

Q: Are we looking at any transfer WRs?

A: Not to my knowledge

Q: First offensive lineman commit?

A: I'd lean Robertson or maybe Kelvin Banks.

Q: Do you think we get a commitment on the big visit weekend

A: It may not get announced that weekend but I think it's likely a silent or two would be given and announced later.

Q: Do we get another commitment before June?

A: I think guys are going to wait to take visits.

Q: O/U 14.5 commits by the end of July?

A: 14 probably feels like the right number so i'll say just under.

Q: Latest on the USC LB?

A: Not a lot new. Confidence is waning in Austin.

Q: Thoughts on Boardingham as a prospect?

A: I really like the athletic profile. He looks good on film but I haven't seen him live.

Q: Mike who do you believe has been the best recruiter so far under Sark? How does Sark recruit differently than Herman? Thank you!

A: I like what Bo Davis has done so far. I like what Kyle Flood, Jeff Choate and Blake Gideon are doing when it comes to the guys they are working on. Overall, this staff recruits as a team much better. Herman's staff did this in the first two years but for some reason just stopped doing it. I haven't heard much of the complaints of inconsistent contact and each recruit i talk to seems to be hearing from 3-4 members of the staff.

Follow up Q: What about Jeff Banks in recruiting?

A: He's been involved in just about everything. So far he's been worth the reputation he came with.

Q: How do you feel about the Secondary options In State compared to Out of State for Class of 23?

A: It depends on the position. There are always years where some positions are stronger and deeper than others.

Q: Mike When will Texas get its first offensive lineman commitment?

A: I'd guess this summer.

Q: Who are the two recruits that Texas is not pushing for at the moment that you think they should be prioritizing?

A: I would have liked to see them push for Jarred Kerr who I really like. Julian Humphrey is a guy I'd like to see offered at corner who can play anywhere in the secondary.

Q: Mike, I get the sense that this summer is gonna be one like we've never seen before. Do you get that feeling when being around the kids? And do you think the staff is equipped to deal with the new landscape of the recruiting world, with the new transfer rules, Image and likeness, and just the overall change in the mindset of alot of kids?

A: I think some of these kids are like a dog chasing a car. They have an idea of things but I don't think even they know what it's going to be like. When they catch the car they wont' know what to do with it. While I anticipate a crazy summer, the one thing I've learned is recruiting doesn't always happen like you expect.

Q: What is the most important trait/skill set you look for when evaluating Defensive lineman?

A: Flexibility and lateral movement. I love versatility too. If a guy can line up in several different fronts and alignments the better.

Q: IT has stated that it likes our chances with Quinn and that they feel confident in eventually landing him. What are your current thoughts? Do we still have a chance? Trust your opinion more.

A: I think there are still open lines of communication on both sides and something could happen depending on how the fall goes. I wouldn't say I love the chances of it happening because getting a second decommitment is always tough and I expect Ohio State to have a strong year. Do I think it could happen? yes. If you had me put odds on it I don't think I'd say it's better than a 50% chance right now. If something were to happen it would be a long way off. As I said when I went out there, there's nothing to see right now but it's a situation we will continue to monitor.

Q: Who is the better guard prospect between Kam dewberry and Tyler Johnson?

A: I'd say Dewberry.

Q: Is our chances of getting palaie gaoteote close to zero now?

A: I wouldn't say zero but they've gone from favorite to underdog.

Q: O/U 2.5 of the following end up at TX? Denver Harris, Evan Stewart, Kelvin Banks, Kam Dewberry, B. Anderson

A: over.

Q: How many takes for the offensive and defensive line for 2022?

A: I think 10-12 combined.

Q: When do you see NIL starting to make big impacts on recruiting?

A: Those bills are still being passed in states but it's already a big recruiting pitch. It's starting to matter now.

Q: I know people don't want to hear Quinn's name anymore but his name keeps coming up over on IT. I trust you the most when it comes to recruiting so are those guys over there chasing a ghost or is there really a chance he flips? Thanks Mike.

A: Addressed this in another post. My initial instinct was to not put you guys through this rollercoaster until it mattered but it just won't seem to go away.

Q: Which position group are you most concerned about and which position group do you feel the best about as of today?

A: Corner seems like an unknown to me. Texas is in a good spot with their targets but not the runaway leader. it's going to be a tightrope if they miss on those guys. I still like where things stand at safety.

Q: Where do we stand with Harold Perkins?

A: It's hard to say anymore. We seem to get a different message every time we ask about him. This recruitment still has a long way to go.

Q: You don’t want to take us through the rollercoaster of Quinn Ewers, but it’s a huge deal for Sark and his California ties if he accepts a Quinn Ewers commitment while also having another elite prospect committed in Malik Murphy. How would that effect recruiting California for this year and beyond if that were to happen?

A: I'm not sure it would have a major effect. California doesn't seem to have the same type of attitude about things like that as Texas.

Q: Whose the better tackle prospect between Tyler Johnson and Kelvin Banks?

A: I liked Johnson more at the time but he hasn't panned out yet so it's hard to answer that question with hindsight.

Q: Ceiling and floor for 22' class ranking at the end?

A: Ceiling is Top 5. I think the floor is probably 15-18

Q: As far as both Cornerback and safety... Does it seem to be better players in state or out state for 23 cycle ?

A: As of now it seems like a bit more of a down year but plenty of guys will emerge this fall.

Q: Mike, if you had to predict right now does Texas get Denver Harris

A: I mean i still have a Crystal Ball in for him. I don't know if I could make a prediction on where he goes now but I haven't heard anything compelling enough to change it yet.

Q: Scale of 0-10, how dependent is our 2022 class on the results of this year’s team?

A: 6 or 7

Q: Where does Texas stand with Jaden Greathouse

A: i don't get the feeling they are pushing that hard at the moment.

Q: So visits will be huge and we'll get some commits out of them for sure, but I've got to imagine there are an equal amount of kids who aren't buying into the hype yet (rightfully so) until they see the product on the field. Who are some of the top Texas kids we're pursuing that are being more cautious with the hype, but where wins/losses will be a major and main factor if that makes any sense

A: I think guys want to see signs of growth. Kam Dewberry, Omari Abor, Harold Perkins fall into that group.

Hmmm the other day I was trimming our hedges and found a Roach.  Makes sense now. 

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

40 Year Old Virgin Reaction GIF

Yeah, Texas could have a top 5 class and some of these experts would still be saying not signing Abor was a huge miss. One thing Herman got right is the thought that if your top target goes somewhere else you need to have a strong contingency plan. We don't have a lot of dead weight in the program anymore.

Wells

Spoiler

K Blake Ford, Arlington Lamar (2022):

Texas will be in the kicking market when Cameron Dicker graduates so why not grab a good one for 2022. That’s UT’s thinking as they pursue a kicker for this class.

One such target emerged earlier this year in 6-foot-1, 210-pound three-star Blake Ford. The off-season soccer star is built like a linebacker and plays with reckless abandon on special teams. He’s got work to do and he knows it.

“There’s no time for sleeping-in,” Ford assured me. “It’s time to go full throttle and win scholarships. I got a taste of it (Sunday), but can’t wait to see what the near future holds.”

He punched his ticket to the Adidas All-American Game with his performance at the specialist event on Sunday, and accepted the spot to San Antonio this evening. Texas is watching.

“I’ve been talking to coach Banks a little and coach Crosby a lot,” said Ford. “I have a visit and private workout setup with them in June and couldn’t be more excited.”

‘Big Foot’ known for his long-distance accuracy is hearing from a number of schools, and hopes to see more college campuses this summer.

I’m eager to hear from his post-workout in June. Texas needs a kicker and Ford looks the part.

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (Evanston, IL) (2022)

It appears the Chicago area defensive standout and Texas are making progress in the relationship department. The four-star knows what he’s looking for at the next level and the Horns are checking the boxes.

“The main thing I’m looking for in a program is my fit and relationship with the staff and community,” Cheeks said. “A lot of these schools I am visiting in the near future, like Texas, are schools I have developed great relationships with. (UT) wants me right in the middle of the defense. Will is the ideal spot.”

Cheeks has personal goals and team goals heading into his senior year. He’s looking to polish off an impressive prep career and wants to lead his guys to the finish line.

“I would say expectations coming into this year should be high and I really want to develop as a senior leader,” said Cheeks. “A guy anyone on the team can rely on at any given moment.”

With Notre Dame, Michigan, North Carolina and others on the trail of the 6-foot-3, 210-pound linebacker, Texas is making progress in this pursuit.

The Fighting Irish might fill up, and Michigan remains near the top, but I get the sense UT has a legitimate shot here if the cards fall correctly. The June trip to Austin should be telling.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

There is always always always one of these guys on a recruiting board

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yup,  should have done that 10 years ago and been done with it.

Really nothing to it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, Texas could have a top 5 class and some of these experts would still be saying not signing Abor was a huge miss. One thing Herman got right is the thought that if your top target goes somewhere else you need to have a strong contingency plan. We don't have a lot of dead weight in the program anymore.

I think you have this kind of right, but also wrong. I'll call it the Herman Corollary:

If your top target is gone, then you need a strong contingency. BUT if your strong contingency is gone, then NEVER reach for bodies. 

This means that we dont have much dead weight, but also holes in the roster at RB (refused to reach in 2019, 2020 after TY Jordan decommitted), LB (refused to reach in 2018, or 2020 other than Ford), DE/Edge (refused to reach in 2019, 2020 after Van F decommitted), TE (refused to reach in 2018 only offered 6 and got Epps, 2020 only offer 4 got none). 

5 minutes ago, Askew said:

I think you have this kind of right, but also wrong. I'll call it the Herman Corollary:

If your top target is gone, then you need a strong contingency. BUT if your strong contingency is gone, then NEVER reach for bodies. 

This means that we dont have much dead weight, but also holes in the roster at RB (refused to reach in 2019, 2020 after TY Jordan decommitted), LB (refused to reach in 2018, or 2020 other than Ford), DE/Edge (refused to reach in 2019, 2020 after Van F decommitted), TE (refused to reach in 2018 only offered 6 and got Epps, 2020 only offer 4 got none). 

This roster strategy is probably a lot more palatable in the transfer portal era given that roster holes could actually attract transfer talent (as long as you have the coaching/recruiting staff to pull them in).

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: Odds and ends to start the week

Spoiler

—It’s likely the Longhorns look to take a kicker this year, and Jeff Banks has been hard at work sorting through the options. I expect there to be no shortage of specialists coming through campus. One of those prospects is Pinellas Park (Seminole, Fla.) kicker and punter Robert Gunn who is set to be on campus June 3rd and 4th. An in-state option to watch is Arlington Lamar kicker/punter Blake Ford. I mentioned Ford earlier this spring when I went to Lamar and he was named to the All-American Bowl today. If Texas were to offer Ford, I’d feel very good about their chances.

Btw, listened to the last podcast of Mike Roach and I'm basically out.  He's become a huge little bitch for the most part.  I hate to say it, but I'd rather listen to EJ Holland talk about Starbucks than hear Roach complaining with his heavy breathing about other people stealing his work.  He was bitching about people stealing his content lmao.  Hey dude... you're following 16 year olds around taking pictures of them after practice and using 2nd hand info from other sites and 2nd hand info from coaches, trainers, uncles to write generic content with no substance.  We literally make fun of you guys with our fake reports.  Most people cannot tell a difference if it's real or not.  Your content is not original and you're guilty of the same things... taking other peoples information and repurposing it as yours.  Stop complaining, write some entertaining content, and make some fun bold predictions.  At the end of the day, most people read and follow recruiting for entertainment, not to hear you bitch about someone on Instagram using a shitty photo you took without writing your name on it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Btw, listened to the last podcast of Mike Roach and I'm basically out.  He's become a huge little bitch for the most part.  I hate to say it, but I'd rather listen to EJ Holland talk about Starbucks than hear Roach complaining with his heavy breathing about other people stealing his work.  He was bitching about people stealing his content lmao.  Hey dude... you're following 16 year olds around taking pictures of them after practice and using 2nd hand info from other sites and 2nd hand info from coaches, trainers, uncles to write generic content with no substance.  We literally make fun of you guys with our fake reports.  Most people cannot tell a difference if it's real or not.  Your content is not original and you're guilty of the same things... taking other peoples information and repurposing it as yours.  Stop complaining, write some entertaining content, and make some fun bold predictions.  At the end of the day, most people read and follow recruiting for entertainment, not to hear you bitch about someone on Instagram using a shitty photo you took without writing your name on it.  

Can't say I've ever been tempted to listen to a podcast featuring any of the Horns247 contributors.

(Charlie S - TFB) Quick Hitter | ’22 EDGE Derrick Brown Cutting Things Down

Spoiler

***Texas EDGE target Derrick Brown (6’4″) out of Texas high in Texarkana, TX will be cutting things down with an official top school list.

***I expect the number to be 8 and I can tell you the Longhorns will make the cut.

***Brown was high school teammates with Sooners EDGE Clayton Smith at Texas High

***He will be very active on the visit front in June with official visits set to Texas (June 4th), Texas A&M (June 18th) and Baylor (June 25th) while planning an unofficial visit to OU in the middle.

***Brown plans on officially visiting Norman for the Nebraska game in September.

***The visits will go a long way in helping Derrick cut his list down further as he looks to make his decision. Obviously, if he makes it out of the summer uncommitted, the way his visit schedule sets up would appear to favor OU as they would get the last visit on a game weekend. Should Texas push and wow him on the June official, they could potentially make those plans change.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Can't say I've ever been tempted to listen to a podcast featuring any of the Horns247 contributors.

I think there was one a few weeks ago with FCB and Michael Griffin I almost listened to. I would've listened if it was just Michael Griffin.

Edited by Bevo14

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I have an hour commute each way to work.  Trust me I hate listening to them but I run out of longhorn podcast content pretty quickly each week.  The new kid on there seems to be an alright listen.  He knows his shit on the bball front.

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Cryptic. This reads like he's leaving his coaching role, but maybe not. 

What’s the rationale for him taking what seems like a demotion? I know people have mentioned in the past that he wanted to move over to the coaching side but given he already has a QC role and the NFL paycut, maybe he’s using it to get a raise?

Edited by Octavian
Spelling

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

What’s the rationale for him taking what seems like a demotion? I know people have mentioned in the past that he wanted to move over to the coaching side but given he already has a QC role and the NFL paycut, maybe he’s using it to get a raise?

he knows what a sinking ship looks like.. and he was on one again..  Helton gets fired and he returns with the new staff

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Lol if you believe pessimism on the football forum, we’re actually playing for his recruitment when we play them.

Just now, futureman said:

it actually did. if we lose to them to start the year, which is very possible, we can say goodbye to any chance of signing him. 

See, why go to the football board at all when you can experience it here in real time?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I, for one, am excited about Carrington going to the NFL. For the sole reason being it gives you recruiting board mains one less thing to bleed from your weak and timid vaginas.

Someone plays a LOT of multiplayer video games.

• Haha 1

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: June is a huge month for the Texas staff

Spoiler

June visits are just 15 days away, and this will without a doubt be the biggest month for Texas football recruiting in quite some time with a new staff set to meet top targets and families for the first time in the majority of cases. The pressure is on the Longhorns staff to win some key battles in June and July to create the ideal momentum headed into the first season of the Steve Sarkisian era.

With recruiting being forced to be zoom calls, many recruitments have an all hands on deck feel about them. Today, IT takes a look at the June visitors in the class of 2022, and the coaches that are key in the recruitments.

June 4th-6th:
DE/EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High
Recruited by: Blake Gideon, Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 18-20), Baylor (June 25-27), Oklahoma (September 18)

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha
Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Blake Gideon
OV schedule: Oklahoma State (June 9-10), Michigan (June 11-13), Baylor (June 18-20)

RB TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA)
Recruited by: Stan Drayton, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 11-13), USC (June 18-20), Arkansas (June 25-27)

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton
Recruited by: Stan Drayton, Bo Davis
OV schedule: USC (June 11-13), Colorado (June 18-20)

June 11th-13th:
OG Cole Hutson, Frisco High
Recruited by: Kyle Flood, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Oklahoma (June 18-20), Texas A&M (June 25-27)

DL Zac Swanson, Brophy Prep (AZ) #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Bo Davis, Pete Kwiatkowski

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Township (IL)
Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski
OV schedule: North Carolina (June 4-6)

LB Robbie Snelling, McQueen High (NV)

ATH Anthony Jones, Liberty (NV)
Recruited by: Jeff Banks,Pete Kwiatkowski
OV schedule: Miami (June 4-6)

June 18th-20th:
QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (CA) #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Steve Sarkisian, A.J. Milwee

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Stan Drayton, Steve Sarkisian

RB Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burgess
Recruited by: Stan Drayton

WR Shazz Preston, Saint James
Recruited by: Steve Sarkisian, Andre Coleman, Terry Joseph
OV schedule: USC (June 4-6)
Unofficial schedule: Georgia (June 8-9), LSU (June 17), Alabama (June 22-23)

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Andre Coleman, Steve Sarkisian

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (CA)
Recruited by: Steve Sarkisian, Andre Coleman
OV schedule: Notre Dame (June 25-27)

OL Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake
Recruited by: Kyle Flood, A.J. Milwee

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
Recruited by: Kyle Flood, Jeff Banks, Steve Sarkisian, Bo Davis
OV schedule: LSU (June 4-6), Oregon (June 8-9), Oklahoma State (June 16-17), Texas A&M (June 25-27)

DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Bo Davis, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian

LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (CA)
Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Notre Dame (June 11-13)

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Jeff Banks, Jeff Choate
OV schedule: Oklahoma State (June 1-2), Texas Tech (June 4-6)

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook (UOV)
Recruited by: Terry Joseph, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 4-6), USC (June 11-13), Alabama (either June 25-27 or during season in September)

S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Blake Gideon, Jeff Banks

CB Denver Harris, North Shore
Recruited by: Terry Joseph, Jeff Banks, Bo Davis, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 4-6), LSU (June 11-13), Alabama (June 25-27)

CB Terrance Brooks, Plano John Paul II
Recruited by: Terry Joseph, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Oregon (June 4-6), Florida (June 11-13) Alabama (June 25-27)

June 25th-27th:
OL Cameron Williams, Duncanville
Recruited by: Kyle Flood, Jeff Banks
OV schedule: Oregon (June 4-6)

TE Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham High (CA) (June 24-26)
Recruited by: Jeff Banks, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Arizona State (June 18-20)

LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point
OV schedule: Utah (June 4-6), Texas A&M (June 11-13), Oklahoma (June 18-20)

LB T.J. Dudley, Montgomery Catholic (AL)
Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Bo Davis, Pete Kwiatkowski
OV schedule: Oregon (June 4-6), UCF (June 11-13)

CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruited by: Terry Joseph, Pete Kwiatkowski

S/DB Austin Jordan, Denton Ryan
Recruited by: Blake Gideon, Terry Joseph, Jeff Banks
OV schedule: Ohio State (June 11-13), Oklahoma (June 18-20)

DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
Recruited by: Bo Davis, Steve Sarkisian
OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 4-6), Alabama (June 18-20)

DL Justice Finkley, Hewitt (Trussville, AL)
Recruited by: Bo Davis
OV schedule: Colorado (June 11-13), Michigan (June 18-20)

DL Aaron Bryant, Southhaven (MS)
Recruited by: Bo Davis
OV schedule: Georgia (June 4-6), Texas A&M (June 18-20)

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I, for one, am excited about Carrington going to the NFL. For the sole reason being it gives you recruiting board mains one less thing to bleed from your weak and timid vaginas.

What does this terrible string of words even mean? Where is the crying about Carrington leaving from the residents of the recruiting board?

You're wishcasting that shitty take onto posters who constantly disparage your own shitty takes. That doesn't unlock the retribution badge, pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting