Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Yes. You are being a dunce. It’s a way for friends of the program and people who want to be friends of the program to funnel money to kids more or less legally. 

Yep. Random players won’t get big sponsorship deals, but everybody will have ample opportunities for money. There will be any number of variations like this for the non-star players: Everybody who records a tackle in a game will be invited to a corporate lunch the following week and will be paid $1,500 as an appearance fee. Anybody who records a sack will receive the same invite and receive $2,500. Interceptions/fumble recoveries $5,000. And so on. There will be a dollar amount on everything, and you can completely justify it by saying fans want to meet and congratulate each individual contributor. The wealthier the alumni base, the higher those appearance fees will be

8 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Is the feigned derision about buying players really worse than being an underachieving football program? This is not a fucking hard decision. At all. 

We all know what side pretty much this whole board falls on. Now go convince the olds that still want us to be Michigan South, complete with useless bitching at rivals that wear shades of red.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, quigley said:

Lots of prejudgment here, some deserved, some not.

The Aggies have their own history to blame for anyone thinking that they would attempt such a comically ridiculous plan.

But we don't know if the Dindy's are money-grabbing hypocrites. Some people will prejudge them based on this rumor and that's unfortunate.

These aren't comically ridiculous plans. That's the thing. Clemson has successfully been using a local church to launder money to families for damn near a decade or longer at this point. This is literally following an established business model. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Lots of no on that list. Hopefully, we are in the bag game and Gerry is just working off of how this stuff used to go down.

I don't think any of those no's were ever high probability. I'm more concerned about the reports of our leans/silents like Banks and Anderson suddenly surging elsewhere. Hopefully just post-visit highs but sounds like we're going to have some tougher battles than we thought. We may need the bag game to bring those home.

For me the must-gets are Denver, Banks, Campbell, and Bryce. All once viewed as strong leans but recent reports more uncertain on them 

28 minutes ago, quigley said:

The Aggies have their own history to blame for anyone thinking that they would attempt such a comically ridiculous plan.

But we don't know if the Dindy's are money-grabbing hypocrites. Some people will prejudge them based on this rumor and that's unfortunate.

Tell us, Professor, what exactly is "hypocritical" about grabbing money? Is your "prejudgment" here showing? Do you automatically believe that preacher Dindy is going to rail against the evils of money while also taking money for his son's football ability? That's your projection of the circumstances, not anyone else's.

All we've stated is that the dad has taken a job at a freshly built church that probably got most of its money from the ATM athletic slushfund known as the "Other Operating Expenses" line item that they have to disclose to the NCAA reporting clearinghouse like every other public NCAA program. Their number on that line item is greater than 11% of total expenses in their budget, thus triggering a disclosure requirement that they've refused to answer. Meanwhile, no other major program surpassed the 10% trigger or really even came close. They're moving money somewhere and now they've built a better apparatus for getting it done.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We all know what side pretty much this whole board falls on. Now go convince the olds that still want us to be Michigan South, complete with useless bitching at rivals that wear shades of red.

Just have their nurses turn up their oxygen tanks, they’ll say yes to anything. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Tell us, Professor, what exactly is "hypocritical" about grabbing money? Is your "prejudgment" here showing? Do you automatically believe that preacher Dindy is going to rail against the evils of money while also taking money for his son's football ability? That's your projection of the circumstances, not anyone else's.

All we've stated is that the dad has taken a job at a freshly built church that probably got most of its money from the ATM athletic slushfund known as the "Other Operating Expenses" line item that they have to disclose to the NCAA reporting clearinghouse like every other public NCAA program. Their number on that line item is greater than 11% of total expenses in their budget, thus triggering a disclosure requirement that they've refused to answer. Meanwhile, no other major program surpassed the 10% trigger or really even came close. They're moving money somewhere and now they've built a better apparatus for getting it done.

They have a NCAA reporting requirement to provide details on those expenses and they're just refusing to do it? Lol NCAA is such a disaster

36 minutes ago, quigley said:

*Dindys

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

They have a NCAA reporting requirement to provide details on those expenses and they're just refusing to do it? Lol NCAA is such a disaster

It looks that way. The issue is that all of that reporting is apparently voluntary since the private institutions aren't compelled to do any of it. I can't tell, really, and neither can other folks I've asked. All that's clear is that if you surpass the 10% mark with that expense against total expenses, you're required to provide details in the comments section, Page 74, of the top 3 causes of that expense. ATM leaves that section their filings blank and points to the fact that no other institution fills out comments either. However, no other institution needs to, since they're below the 10% flag. Classic aggie shit.

31 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Yep. Random players won’t get big sponsorship deals, but everybody will have ample opportunities for money. There will be any number of variations like this for the non-star players: Everybody who records a tackle in a game will be invited to a corporate lunch the following week and will be paid $1,500 as an appearance fee. Anybody who records a sack will receive the same invite and receive $2,500. Interceptions/fumble recoveries $5,000. And so on. There will be a dollar amount on everything, and you can completely justify it by saying fans want to meet and congratulate each individual contributor. The wealthier the alumni base, the higher those appearance fees will be

That's one way to do it. I hadn't really considered that but... it would make sense.  Also you could surely have "player of the game" awards that come with cash bonuses for the right sponsorship.  

I was talking to my buddy that was a head coach and asking him how for $50,000 would go for his sunbelt baseball team. He said it would be amazing- he could probably turn that into 3 or4 draft able players.  I think that non revenue sports could really leverage this big time for not all that much money.  The star QB is going to expect a lot more than the 7th or 8th inning guy on the baseball team. It costs $200k to buy the one guy but can you get the other one for $2k?  $5K?  I don't know but it will be interesting to find out.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Then, 2 years ago, the fucking business plan, along some other important shit, was stolen, along with my fucking car, out of the valet parking at the DoubleTree on 15th in downtown Austin while the valet guys sat upstairs and smoked.

Do the cops have any leads?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

@SydneyCarton and I went through the concept in a bit more depth than I'm proud of, and he did the leg work of reaching out to the top 7 inflateables businesses in the greater Houston area. This is pre-corona, of course. Like 6-7 years ago. Not one of them was interested in selling, which tells you everything. Then, 2 years ago, the fucking business plan, along some other important shit, was stolen, along with my fucking car, out of the valet parking at the DoubleTree on 15th in downtown Austin while the valet guys sat upstairs and smoked. Never stayed at the place again. 

Wait, what were we discussing?

image.gif.492403da5e0232a0bd494a5b8a14907d.gif

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Haha 1

(CJ Vogel) Quick Hitter | Derrick Brown Post-OV

Spoiler

Caught up with Texas High OLB Derrick Brown this morning following his weekend OV to Texas. I’ll get much more in-depth when I get back home to type everything up but had a few notes to pass along.

*** Brown loved the visit. It sounds like Texas really knocked it out of the park and really put themselves in a good position to land the talented OLB prospect.

*** On the trip, Brown was able to connect with Demarvion Overshown and T’Vondre Sweat, two guys that are very personable. Brown told me he felt like he was already a part of the team in a way.

*** Brown is expected in Norman for an unofficial visit next Monday.

*** Brown dropped a top eight early Wednesday morning as the clock turned to his birthday. He told me he hopes to visit the majority of the schools listed before making a decision.

*** Regardless, Jeff Choate and Steve Sarkisian did a great job with their first in-person meeting with Brown.

5 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Who's better Bear Alexander or Daylon Mack?  Who will be the bigger bust?  

I gotta say, I looked his career up after seeing this. The total bust in the NFL after all the shit he and the rest of aggy talked about his potential really gave me the soft and fuzzies today. Thank you Surly for brightening my Wednesday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(CJ Vogel) 2022 Austin Westlake OL Connor Robertson Details Unofficial, Sets OV Trips

Spoiler

2022 Austin Westlake offensive line target Connor Robertson made the 15 minute drive to campus earlier in the week to check out the facilities and meet the Texas coaching staff in-person for the first time.

Robertson had last been on campus on April 24 for the Orange-White spring game and the unofficial trip he took this week was the college visit he had ever taken where he was allowed to interact with the coaching staff. By all accounts, Robertson told me he enjoyed his time in Austin.

“I enjoyed it, it was great,” Robertson said. “It was definitely good to be back on campus… It was good to finally meet all of the coaches in person. It helped me get a sense of them in real life instead of over Zoom or whatever we were doing before. But it was definitely really good to be there.”

Offensive line coach Kyle Flood has been the main man in communication with Robertson since Texas extended an offer his way. The two were able to connect and build upon their relationship during the visit.

“He is a great guy,” Robertson said about Coach Flood. “He’s really energetic. He definitely knows what he is talking about as far as football goes, just from our short conversation. But he is a real awesome guy and it was definitely good to meet him face to face.”

Robertson was also able to meet head coach Steve Sarkisian during the trip as well. He said the two of them were able to talk a little bit and got a photo with one another. The Westlake offensive lineman called it a moment he “will remember forever.”

Official visits are the topic of conversation across the recruiting world and Robertson has three locked in for the month of June:

June 11 – Northwestern
June 18 – Texas
June 25 – Stanford
It goes without saying, but this group indicates education is going to be at the top of the priority list for Robertson. There is one other high profile west coast school Robertson is considering visiting this summer as well, but for now I am going to withhold the name.

My Take

After speaking with a source close to Robertson, I believe Stanford is going to be a very tough team to beat. Texas is certainly going to be in the mix for the foreseeable future. While I can’t say for certain where Robertson falls in the priority list of 2022 offensive linemen, I do believe Texas is going to remain competitive in this recruitment until the final whistle. Robertson spoke highly about Flood and Sarkisian, which leads me to believe the staff is genuinely interested.

6 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I gotta say, I looked his career up after seeing this. The total bust in the NFL after all the shit he and the rest of aggy talked about his potential really gave me the soft and fuzzies today. Thank you Surly for brightening my Wednesday. 

Imo he was close to a bust in college also.  At a minimum he never lived up to the hype he had coming out of HS.  

• Like 1

Speaking of Damonic Williams... apparently he put on a show at Alabama today.  I dunno how to embed tweets but...

@CalFootball commit @DamonicWilliams at @AlabamaFTBL putting on a DT 2 gap clinic. This is most definitely 1 of the top DT’s of the 22 class. Don’t believe me ask his victims on the OL. So impressive Nick Saban came to watch him work. @adamgorney @BrandonHuffman @GregBiggins

On 6/8/2021 at 2:32 PM, closetojumping said:

Some folks think the right steps are being taken and some folks think we're trying to solve the right problems with the wrong people and tools. So, you got me. 

Here's how we'll know which is correct. Does Texas sign Evan Stewart? Do they sign Kelvin Banks? These are guys that want to come to Texas. Neither are overtly running an auction, but both are 5 star players that everyone is going to pursue up to the end and if Texas makes it hard on itself, well, I doubt either guy winds up at UT.

Is there a path to CDC uniting everyone or have his failings re: Urban and Stoops erected permanent impediments?  It would be nice to have an AD that could lead us forward with a united front.

3 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Is there a path to CDC uniting everyone or have his failings re: Urban and Stoops erected permanent impediments?  It would be nice to have an AD that could lead us forward with a united front.

I don't think you want the AD involved in any of this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Plausible deniability. Look it up.

36 minutes ago, Viper said:

I don't think you want the AD involved in any of this.

6 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Plausible deniability. Look it up.

The issue is that the big swinging dicks have to like and feel pampered by the AD to do stuff like this, even if it's extracurricular, because they are incredibly petty since no one's told these people no in decades (look at SoCar's biggest donor pulling funding over a condolence card).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting