Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The issue is that the big swinging dicks have to like and feel pampered by the AD to do stuff like this, even if it's extracurricular, because they are incredibly petty since no one's told these people no in decades (look at SoCar's biggest donor pulling funding over a condolence card).

Had not heard of that SoCar donor. What a mess.

I noticed it was on an aggy site so I could only think of Fong who would write that positive for Texas on that site without any aggyisms every other sentence. A poster doing a bit makes more sense. I knew it couldn't be Roach when he said he put in a crystal ball

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I just went and read the Darla Moore stuff. Wow. 

Not all large donors behave in such a manner. Frankly, there are some who give to UT who don't ask for much of anything. Sure, others want a fuckton of exposure and credit. That all considered, the continued notion pushed out there by talking heads that UT's donor base is anything but a fucking asset to the university is laughable. Sarkisian does not currently have a bunch of boosters demanding individual hours of his time each week or month, and he and CDC are simultaneously getting a whole bunch of "yes" answers on their asks.

There are responsibilities in working with donors who are considering helping on projects, or group meetings across the state and things of that ilk, but that is the same at every school involved with athletics in a big way across the country. Jamail, Denius, McCombs, not that they were bad guys, because they sure as shit were not, but yeah, they were high touch while alive (I don't know the story with where things are at for McCombs health-wise these days but he's not talking to the HC every day the way he expected back in the day), but they also gave something ridiculous like a combined $1+billion to the school and AD in their lifetimes. 

Consider these basic and recent examples:

1) 8 groups donated $10million each to the SEZ project before it was publicly kicked off in order to give it the momentum it needed to be a healthy financial project to update the stadium. 

2) The Moodys provided the major donation to the new basketball arena and allegedly do not require handholding in their relationship with the school or AD. Their gift on this project alone is larger by almost 2x than what that "largest donor ever" at SCar has given in total. They've given way more than that across the AD and school and we don't hear shit about them needing face time with Steve Sarkisian or Chris Beard. 

3) The new indoor workout facility expense for football is also quietly committed. That won't be "considered" or "announced" until after the 2 current major projects are completed. 

4) Tom Herman's buyout was committed to fully after the Texas Tech game with the only strings being that the $$ wanted to be involved with understanding the process and candidates, as the consensus didn't want change for the sake of change. 

I guess people can bitch about any involvement, but that's like $500+million in liquidity for the AD without a shit ton of ballbreaking from legendary assholes. Think about how rarely we actually hear anything material about problems from the UT donor side. Idiots like Paul Finebaum and Kirk Herbstreit can throw nonsense out there and the rest of the media and other fans will eat it up, but what were any of the specifics attached to such claims? I have yet to see any. 

Forgive me if I miss remember. But I coulda sworn Sabans main reason for wanting to leave Bama in the Mack transition,  was Nick wanting to get away from over bearing and interfering boosters. 

Mike at Night: New Crystal Ball forecast for Texas target

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: New Crystal Ball forecast for Texas target

Mike Roach

— I've entered a new Crystal Ball pick in favor of the Longhorns for Texarkana Texas High edge rusher Derrick Brown. Coming out of the weekend, there was some strong buzz surrounding Brown and the Longhorns, and in talking with sources in Texarkana it seems the Longhorns haven't lost momentum. Brown canceled his Texas A&M visit over the weekend and instead scheduled an official trip to Texas Tech. While Oklahoma still looms large in the distance, I like where Texas stands at the moment enough to have the Longhorns in the power position with a confidence score of 7.

— The race for the Longhorns to reel in cornerback target Terrance Brooks is going to be tough. After seeing Brooks in person recently and talking to sources, I'm confident that Texas and Alabama seem to be the top two. The bad news for Texas is that Nick Saban is pretty dialed in on this one. A source I spoke to said that Brooks and Saban talk often in long conversations about schemes, coverages and development. Development is a huge concern for Brooks and nobody sells that better than the Crimson Tide. The Longhorns still have a chance to turn the tide with a visit upcoming where they can push academics and a better path to early playing time. That said, it's going to be a dogfight for the Longhorns.

— Thursday night's camp will have some big names including one of my favorites in North Mesquite 2023 WR Cordale Russell. The Longhorns will get to lay their eyes on Russell and see his tremendous frame and physical talent up close. Russell is still raw for the position but he has a tremendously high ceiling. 2024 Texas offer Jaden Allen should also be on campus to take part. I've yet to get a full confirmation, but if Jaden is there, I'd assume Bryan Allen Jr. also makes the trip.

— If Texas does have to pivot to some secondary options in the secondary, several players have been grabbing the staff's attention. I've talked a bit about Avyonne Jones as a potential option should the staff like what they see, and I'd also keep an eye on Devin Turner at safety. The Frisco Lone Star prospect was incredible at the SMU camp this past weekend. Kansas commit Xavion Brice is another guy who could explode after testing very well at SMU and has the ideal frame. Colorado commit and Little Elm DB Keyshon Mills is another player to watch. I was told he showed up in Austin today and performed off the charts during camp. One completely off-the-radar name for Texas that I've heard some schools speak highly of is Fort Bend Marshall cornerback Adari Haulcy. He could be a corner or safety target and is due for a huge rise this summer and fall if he keeps performing.

Wells

Spoiler

RB Tavorus Jones, Burges (El Paso, TX)- 2022:

After hosting a handful of running backs last weekend, Texas is set to see another very soon.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound four-star will descend on the Forty Acres on June 18th-20th for his official visit. As for other scheduled trips, there aren't any right now.

Jones doesn't get much fanfare out west despite 1,824 yards rushing and 25 touchdowns, with 701 yards receiving and eight scores over the last 2.5 seasons. He only played in six games as a junior because of the Covid pandemic after garnering District 2-5A All-Purpose Athlete of the Year in 2019.

Despite the low profile, he's certainly a priority to the UT staff.

"I really like the new staff," Jones tells IT. "I think the relationship I have with (Texas) is strong. Just looking for that type of bond you get with coaches and how they'd fit me into their system."

Jones holds 25 offers including Alabama, Florida, Penn State, and TCU, and if UT has any competition, it's the Horned Frogs. They're really interested in Jones, so a trip to Fort Worth is possible.

But for now, Jones has his eyes on Texas. He's ready for that first official visit and the staff is too.

K Blake Ford, Arlington Lamar (Arlington, TX)- 2022:

UT hosted the place kicker known as Bigfoot on Tuesday for a private workout. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound kicker has been in touch with Texas and Jeff Banks since early in the year.

"It was a great unofficial," said Ford. "But not sure about the workout. I had surgery two weeks ago, but I still hit some pretty good balls. My kickoff was 76 yards with a 3.66 hangtime."

Surgery? Talk about bad timing.

The All-American Bowl invite told Inside Texas he was born with a condition that's not uncommon but it got uncommonly bad a few weeks ago.

"It's a huge setback because not only did I lose blood, but I lost a lot of muscle due to the fact I couldn't eat for three days," Ford explained. "But I'm not trying to make excuses. I went out there and did I what I could and hopefully it's enough."

Ford's condition is unlikely to ever reappear and Bigfoot is looking straight ahead.

"I'm making a fast recovery and am still confident in my abilities to go D1, whether it be at Texas or another program," said Ford. "It was a pleasure meeting Coach Banks and Coach (Jeff) Crosby. Both are great dudes and they still seemed impressed with my performance."

Speaking with his coaches at Lamar, there's a reason this kid is so highly respected. Get better, Bigfoot.

Wells

Spoiler

LB Anthony Hill, Denton Ryan (Denton, TX)- 2023:

One of the nation's top linebackers was at SMU over the weekend to support his teammates at the mega camp. For the 6-foot-3, 225-pound five-star, he doesn't have anything to prove. His tape and offer sheet are more than enough.

Hill is set to be in Austin on Saturday for the Junior Day along with Arch Manning, Rueben Owens, and Johntay Cook, who Hill speaks with frequently.

"I think I'm going to Texas A&M, Alabama, and TCU on (last) Sunday," said Hill. "June 12th, I'll be at Texas. They want to get me down there and just see the feel and everything. It feels good knowing Coach Banks and Coach Sark are real interested in me and getting to talk with them."

Hill helped Denton Ryan capture the Class 5A Div. I state championship in 2020 with 105 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks, two forced fumbles, and one interception. Hill was named a first-team MaxPreps All-American and the District 5-5AD1 Defensive Newcomer of the Year in 2019.

His skins are on the wall. While he projects at linebacker, he might be growing into an EDGE guy at the next level.

Hill appears to be pretty open at this stage of his recruitment, which is a great thing. UT just has to maintain and keep swinging. This pursuit is just now taking off.

11 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Forgive me if I miss remember. But I coulda sworn Sabans main reason for wanting to leave Bama in the Mack transition,  was Nick wanting to get away from over bearing and interfering boosters. 

I think it was more Nick was broke (we were going to make him whole), really didn't want to stay in AL long-term (cant blame him, its not for everyone unless youre on the coast) and he had won early at Bama, so another challenge was intriguing. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

While his brothers both played at Utah, this guy apparently might be someone worth monitoring for Texas fans. There's an insider screenshot from presumably some Utah board on IT, but I don't' think it'll show up it I paste it here 

https://247sports.com/Player/Lander-Barton-46097947/

It was on 247 as well.  

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

While his brothers both played at Utah, this guy apparently might be someone worth monitoring for Texas fans. There's an insider screenshot from presumably some Utah board on IT, but I don't' think it'll show up it I paste it here 

https://247sports.com/Player/Lander-Barton-46097947/

Hudl shows him playing traditional LB, but I wonder if he may eventually be an EDGE type player with that frame.

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't see how Bear would end up in this class, but it's probably worth building a relationship for if/when he portals down the road 

Agree, I do think he's going to stay closer to home though and a&m or Texas are most likely. a&m has a lot of young guys in front of him that he'd be competing with where Texas has only a couple, so I still think there is a chance. His adoptive dad/coach/mentor seems like he's trying to get him to look at everybody before making his next commitment after rushing into his first one.  

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agree, I do think he's going to stay closer to home though and a&m or Texas are most likely. a&m has a lot of young guys in front of him that he'd be competing with where Texas has only a couple, so I still think there is a chance. His adoptive dad/coach/mentor seems like he's trying to get him to look at everybody before making his next commitment after rushing into his first one.  

the depth chart isn't going to have anything to do with where he ends up.

also he didn't "rush" into his first commitment.

Bag Thank You GIF by Fabiola Lara / Casa Girl

Edited by NoName

Lander Barton told me he wants to take a fall OV to UT. I do wonder what numbers at LB look like by then with UT in good shape with a handful of guys. Here’s the particulars from a week ago:

The low four-star from Salt Lake City (Brighton) was offered by Texas on April 8th. If you liked Robby Snelling as a longer, versatile LB, from a dry, high desert climate, you’ll love this dude. Opposing teams might want to locate him pre-snap. He’s pretty effective on the blitz.

What makes Barton interesting is, at 6-foot-4 he has the length to play OLB, but he might also possess the movement skills to play inside.

As a four-star he’s too highly regarded to be considered a PK special but you see some of the qualities the Texas defensive coordinator was able to uncover while at Boise St and Washington.

The coaches appear to covet length at the Mike linebacker position, and if that position doesn’t work out, there’s always the possibility of playing X.

Barton says he talks to Texas once or twice a week. We think a visit is likely.

Texas is up against fellow academic football blue bloods USC, Michigan and Notre Dame, as well as LSU and instate Utah.

23 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

These aren't comically ridiculous plans. That's the thing. Clemson has successfully been using a local church to launder money to families for damn near a decade or longer at this point. This is literally following an established business model. 

Thank you for letting me know about Clemson. That said, things can be comically ridiculous and common.

91Cph+3KIqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Tell us, Professor, what exactly is "hypocritical" about grabbing money? Is your "prejudgment" here showing? Do you automatically believe that preacher Dindy is going to rail against the evils of money while also taking money for his son's football ability? That's your projection of the circumstances, not anyone else's.

All we've stated is that the dad has taken a job at a freshly built church that probably got most of its money from the ATM athletic slushfund known as the "Other Operating Expenses" line item that they have to disclose to the NCAA reporting clearinghouse like every other public NCAA program. Their number on that line item is greater than 11% of total expenses in their budget, thus triggering a disclosure requirement that they've refused to answer. Meanwhile, no other major program surpassed the 10% trigger or really even came close. They're moving money somewhere and now they've built a better apparatus for getting it done.

So we're all on the same page, I agree that being in college shouldn't preclude compensation for playing sports. Seems, based on your prior posts, we also agree that Dindy's dad taking this job would be "shady" or something like that. Also, in full disclosure, I haven't been in a church is > 20 years. I think lying is still what they call a "sin" and sins are frowned upon.

If Dindy's dad does this and if the family claims that it's just their good fortune that the dad is installed as the head of a new church concurrent with the recruitment of their son to a school that happens to be in the same town or funded by boosters of the school, this is evidence of either (a) lying or (b) delusion. Lying would against the basic tenets of most religions so I think that's hypocritical.

So I agree with you, it could be that the Dindys are delusional.

17 minutes ago, quigley said:

So we're all on the same page, I agree that being in college shouldn't preclude compensation for playing sports. Seems, based on your prior posts, we also agree that Dindy's dad taking this job would be "shady" or something like that. Also, in full disclosure, I haven't been in a church is > 20 years. I think lying is still what they call a "sin" and sins are frowned upon.

If Dindy's dad does this and if the family claims that it's just their good fortune that the dad is installed as the head of a new church concurrent with the recruitment of their son to a school that happens to be in the same town or funded by boosters of the school, this is evidence of either (a) lying or (b) delusion. Lying would against the basic tenets of most religions so I think that's hypocritical.

So I agree with you, it could be that the Dindys are delusional.

It’s a big time move by aggy.

Churches are also the perfect financial safe house. Most churches in the US now actually just function as a method to wash someone’s dirty money. The preacher and congregation are usually just unaware bystanders. 

Russian mob has been secretly funding the creation of churches since the 90s and because of conservative laws to “protect” churches are untouchable. 

• Haha 1

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Bear, Terrance Brooks, new CB on the board, Adari Haulcy, Evan

Spoiler

The Texas staff has a huge weekend of visits ahead in the 2022 and 2023 classes, headlined by quarterback Arch Manning fresh off an offer from Clemson on Sunday. Prior to the beginning of the key weekend, the staff has been busy hosting visitors and making evaluations.

On Wednesday, former Georgia verbal and current Texas A&M lean Bear Alexander (Fort Worth Brewer) made his way to Austin with a family member for an unofficial visit. The day was spent meeting the staff for the first time, with much of the time spent with defensive line coach Bo Davis. If one is looking for a major development with the 6-foot-3, 320-pound athletic and long armed defensive tackle, that won’t be found at this point. This is a recruitment that is currently expected to go all the way until December with twist and turns along the way. Texas A&M is in the drivers seat, but there are official visits scheduled to Miami June 11-13, possibly USC June 18-20 and either Oregon or Alabama June 25-27.

Ohio State trying to get in on Terrance Brooks
Fresh off an official visit to Oregon, elite CB Terrance Brooks will head to Florida this weekend before making visits to Texas June 18-20 and Alabama June 25-27.

This morning, Ohio State reached out to the Brooks family to see if the Buckeyes still had enough time and opportunity to get the near 6-foot, 185-pounder on campus for an official visit. Ohio State is talking about July for an OV, which is worth noting.

While it’s not out of the question Brooks would use his final OV on Ohio State, the Buckeyes would have to truly impress in conversations quickly. That begins with player development, scheme fit and early opportunity. Then there would have to be a 3-3.5 year graduation plan has to be laid out, and that is a plan designed with an emphasis on a sports medicine career.

Even if Ohio State gets Brooks on campus, it’s unlikely the Buckeyes could make up ground on Alabama and Texas.

And one more thing in regard to Brooks, he will play his senior season at Little Elm.

https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/12145/Boys-Varsity-Football/team

Because Plano John Paul II doesn’t have December graduation possibilities, Brooks has been headed to a new school as a senior. And that school will now feature one of the state’s top secondaries with Colorado verbal Keyshon Mills at the opposite corner, and a pair of FBS prospects at safety.

Speaking of Mills, the near 6-foot cornerback traveled to Austin Wednesday with his mother to meet the Texas staff, and go through a personal workout for Terry Joseph. Mills, who checked in at 182-pounds and was Texas staff timed at 4.53 in the forty, was told by Joseph that the Longhorns are very interested and want to evaluate his early in his senior season.

Mills will next camp with SMU before heading to Oklahoma and Missouri for personal workouts. Baylor, TCU and Washington are also showing interest. Mills made an official visit to Colorado last weekend.

Adari Haulcy works out for Texas
Fort Bend Marshall defensive back Adari Haulcy has been on the Texas radar since the spring. The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder made a trip to Texas June 7 to workout for Blake Gideon and staff. Haulcy was at LSU for a workout the day prior to Texas, and has trips scheduled to Tulane June 11 and Louisiana June 14. Of the schools that have offered, Louisiana is considered the favorite over Kansas currently.

Texas has been in contact with Haulcy since the workout, and is a safety prospect the staff will be watching early in the season.

The latest on Evan Stewart
The ĂĽber athletic WR made an official visit to Florida last weekend, where intel from IT is the former Texas verbal told the Gators staff they were in the lead. With that being said, IT spoke with a Power 5 assistant coach Wednesday that has been recruiting Stewart for over a year, and the assistant coach predicted that Stewart would stay close to home at the end of the day with in-state the prediction.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting