Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I mean, come on guys. What are you comparing it to? The prospects we are pursuing at the top of the board are national recruits. Did you really think Evan Stewart or Kelvin Banks were going to shut it down this weekend? That’s a failure of expectations, not a failure of the staff. 

Don’t bring logic into this thread.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I mean, come on guys. What are you comparing it to? The prospects we are pursuing at the top of the board are national recruits. Did you really think Evan Stewart or Kelvin Banks were going to shut it down this weekend? That’s a failure of expectations, not a failure of the staff. 

Doesn’t Alabama close quite a few of their commits later in the cycle, because top talent takes longer to commit?

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I guess I am comparing it to four things. Out of state recruits seem to be easier to get commits from than in state. Almost all of the out of state recruits have made very positive statements about their visit. In state recruits have been more restrained.

Momentum seems to be lacking. Blue is a question mark. Guilbeau seems to not be bought in. Our defensive backs as a whole seem to be wavering. The offensive line class looks like it will be solid but so far there is lack of buy-in. And yes, we absolutely need Banks to buy in soon. We need Banks and we need Campbell. Sexton, Robinson, and Hutson we want. We can get by losing Neto and Dewberry but we have got to close on others. I don't want to have the expectations we have had in the last 10 years or so where we are happy with a pretty good team.

Last weekend seemed great as far as visits. It was a pretty small group with not a lot of targets, but it exceeded my expectations. Maybe it is a father's day thing but responses so far don't seem nearly as positive. And this was the group with some of our biggest targets.

As far as failure of expectations, perhaps you are right. But, it wasn't that long ago when we could get a majority of the top 20 in state and especially those at the very top. Then, in the last 5 years Alabama and OSU have probably gotten more in state top 10 targets than Texas. I want to see that turned around. It pisses me off to see targets like Bear eliminate us because of money. And he isn't the only one in the top tier of Texas recruits to eliminate us for cash. We have got to get the elite guys in state if we want to beat Alabama. I want to see a return to normalcy where top Texas guys consider Texas first. Brooks is probably Bama bound and Harris is probably Texas bound. But, it is just as likely that we lose both than get both. I want to get at least one of those guys locked in.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Doesn’t Alabama close quite a few of their commits later in the cycle, because top talent takes longer to commit?

A lot don't announce until late but it is pretty well known who is going to be in the class.

48 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I guess I am comparing it to four things. Out of state recruits seem to be easier to get commits from than in state. Almost all of the out of state recruits have made very positive statements about their visit. In state recruits have been more restrained.

Momentum seems to be lacking. Blue is a question mark. Guilbeau seems to not be bought in. Our defensive backs as a whole seem to be wavering. The offensive line class looks like it will be solid but so far there is lack of buy-in. And yes, we absolutely need Banks to buy in soon. We need Banks and we need Campbell. Sexton, Robinson, and Hutson we want. We can get by losing Neto and Dewberry but we have got to close on others. I don't want to have the expectations we have had in the last 10 years or so where we are happy with a pretty good team.

Last weekend seemed great as far as visits. It was a pretty small group with not a lot of targets, but it exceeded my expectations. Maybe it is a father's day thing but responses so far don't seem nearly as positive. And this was the group with some of our biggest targets.

As far as failure of expectations, perhaps you are right. But, it wasn't that long ago when we could get a majority of the top 20 in state and especially those at the very top. Then, in the last 5 years Alabama and OSU have probably gotten more in state top 10 targets than Texas. I want to see that turned around. It pisses me off to see targets like Bear eliminate us because of money. And he isn't the only one in the top tier of Texas recruits to eliminate us for cash. We have got to get the elite guys in state if we want to beat Alabama. I want to see a return to normalcy where top Texas guys consider Texas first. Brooks is probably Bama bound and Harris is probably Texas bound. But, it is just as likely that we lose both than get both. I want to get at least one of those guys locked in.

You, like me, have a case of pussyitus 

6 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

It doesn’t seem like many people are committing anywhere right now. Dominos probably won’t start falling until this wave of officials ends, and even then our season will largely dictate the quality of our class. 

Yep. We're right in line with other major programs, with 11 commits and a number 5 class ranking in the 24/7 composite. 

2 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

Yep. We're right in line with other major programs, with 11 commits and a number 5 class ranking in the 24/7 composite. 

Just clicking through the classes, most of the top 15 haven’t gotten a meaningful commit since visits opened. The main exception being the Polynesian LB that picked notre dame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

It doesn’t seem like many people are committing anywhere right now. Dominos probably won’t start falling until this wave of officials ends, and even then our season will largely dictate the quality of our class. 

On 24/7's Late Kick Cut, I think Josh Pate said commitments for the month of June 2021 compared to the prior 2 years were down 66%.  Apparently the Covid seniors have thrown peoples depth charts out of wack and a lot of schools are planning on taking smaller classes than usual.    

10 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

On 24/7's Late Kick Cut, I think Josh Pate said commitments for the month of June 2021 compared to the prior 2 years were down 66%.  Apparently the Covid seniors have thrown peoples depth charts out of wack and a lot of schools are planning on taking smaller classes than usual.    

It’s so dumb the NCAA is counting COVID seniors toward scholarship numbers. But it’s NCAA. 

I think July will have an explosion of commitments 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

After watching our bats sleep through game 1 in Omaha, my liver and I needed to see a bunch of 5*s commit got dammit!  #AGNB  #FSaban  #ousucks  #poo raggy

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Orrr...... these kids are playing speed dating with their OVs after being locked down for over a year. Visit after visit, oftentimes with no breaks in between. That also means kids are more likely to take all of their visits and not shut it down in between. Things will start to materialize in another week or two after this huge rush is over. I think it is silly to have the expectation that someone shuts it down when you are visit 3 of 5 or 2 of 5 within the span of two or three weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Orrr...... these kids are playing speed dating with their OVs after being locked down for over a year. Visit after visit, oftentimes with no breaks in between. That also means kids are more likely to take all of their visits and not shut it down in between. Things will start to materialize in another week or two after this huge rush is over. I think it is silly to have the expectation that someone shuts it down when you are visit 3 of 5 or 2 of 5 within the span of two or three weeks. 

Yep.  No one has momentum because recruits haven’t been able to take OVs for 16 months and they’re cramming them all in this month. High profile recruits aren’t committing right now when they have 2-3 more OVs lined up in the next few weeks. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting