Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Still dont understand the whole cancel Jones OV deal if the staff is going to cut Blue loose. Even if someone like Gatson is already in. Just weird

Isn't there a limit on the number of OVs a program can give out? They must just not see him as a take.

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Still dont understand the whole cancel Jones OV deal if the staff is going to cut Blue loose. Even if someone like Gatson is already in. Just weird

Kinda feel the same why. And that was an annoying answer by Nahlin. He knows what the question really meant. 

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The latest on Bryce Anderson ahead of his final visits

Brian Perroni

(Jimbo: "Can you hurry up and commit, before I go on vacation????")

Reveal hidden contents

The latest on Bryce Anderson ahead of his final visits

Brian Perroni

Bryce Anderson had told the 247 network last week that he might push back his July 4 commitment date and take his Texas official at the end of July. There is randomly one week then that is not dead.

But, I heard from someone close to the recruitment that the July 4 date is still likely on. They feel Anderson will know what he wants to do after the shortened Texas visit.

Anderson will be in College Station Friday and Saturday for the state 7-on-7 tournament. He will then head to Austin after that. Depending on when West Brook loses in Saturday’s single-elimination format, it could be as early as 8 a.m. or as late as around 5 p.m.

I’ve been told it still isn’t set on whether the Texas visit will be an official or unofficial. It will likely depend on what time he gets there Saturday. Either way, the dead period goes into effect Sunday night at midnight, so he can’t stay until Monday.

I don’t know about the rumor with the supposed Saban strong-arming him or whatever from this past weekend, but I think it’s an A&M-Texas battle anyway. Texas was very much the leader heading into his A&M official but Jimbo Fisher personally took the reins of his recruitment and has the Aggies very much in it. Anderson then returned a couple days later for an unofficial. He will also make his way to campus on Friday either before or after the afternoon pool play.

This is going to be a big one to watch heading into the July 4 announcement date. Adding to it is the fact that Fisher will be out of the country on vacation in July and tough to reach. He has planned ahead and hopes to have commitment decisions before he leaves from all the guys announcing during that time. Anderson is aware of that and, if it A&M, he would commit to Fisher prior to the vacation trip.

Seems like we screwed the pooch on scheduling with Bryce. Aggy got to set the bar first on their big weekend, then we originally had him scheduled for this past big weekend but for some reason he swapped us with Bama and we ended up with the shortened 7v7 weekend. Now he'll have 3 trips to CS and only one shortened one to Austin. Our mods are starting hedge their language too 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I hope the staff and AD have given a lot of thought about how to push the limits of what can be offered to recruits now that the Supreme Court has lifted the $5k limit on what can be offered if tied to education. Anyone here have any knowlege of what's been discussed? At a minimum, well-paid internships need to be hooked up asap. Michael Dell, I'm looking at you.

Nahlin:

I’m increasingly confident they’ll at least split the corners.

Would crystal ball Finkley to Texas.

Still not worried about OL at all.

Texas and Evan Stewart make too much sense.

Still confident on Bryce Anderson.

It’s hard to remain patient while you wait for commitments but they’re doing all the right things.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Super K) Evan Stewart | Post Official Visit

Hide contents

As you know, Texas hosted 2022 5-star WR, Evan Stewart this weekend for an official visit.

Evan was accompanied on the official visit by his mother and father. After the visit, I caught up with his mother and here are some of my initial takeaways.

***After the Texas visit, Evan canceled his USC visit which was scheduled for this week. I initially thought that made a major statement about how things went at Texas but his mother said Evan was just tired from all the travel and wasn’t ready to jump right on a plane the next day (today). Sounds like that will get rescheduled.

***The visit seems to have gone really well but it doesn’t sound like a decision is imminent and I think the family would prefer it that way. They seem content having Evan take his time this time to evaluate things.

***They are taking unofficial visits to Alabama and LSU later this week. She also mentioned that, since they’re easy drives, Evan may stop by TCU and OU this week, as well.

***Since the family still hasn’t taken a ton of visits, the biggest one being Florida, I asked for a comparison between Texas and Florida. He’s been to TAMU, as well, on an unofficial but I just don’t get the sense TAMU is much of a contender.

***The family is originally from Tennessee and both Evan’s mother and father went to school Tennessee (Knoxville) and apparently they both felt that Austin reminded them a lot of Knoxville. There was some kind of familiarity in the vibe that made them comfortable.

***Also, got the sense that while Florida has done a good job building relationships between Evan, the family and the position coach, Texas has really tried to recruit Evan as a staff. Meaning, on the visit they weren’t just talking to coach Coleman, they were talking to Coleman, Sark, other coaches, and various members of the support staff.

***Additionally, while Evan has known coach Coleman for a while, I still think there was a need for additional bonding and I get the sense that connection was made stronger this weekend. It also sounds like Evan really liked the plan Texas laid out for him as far as how he fits in the scheme.

***Sark’s offensive mind is respected by the family and the staff was selling the players on the idea that they are going to bring an air attack with a SEC style run game and physical brand of football.

***I think the new facilities also stood out to Evan and his family. His mother mentioned that while Florida has plans for new facilities, at Texas they actually got to put hard hats on and go in and see the construction and imagine what it’s going to look like. Sounds like it’s going to be spectacular. Shazz Preston’s father actually mentioned the same thing in the conversation we had.

***Again, I get the sense Texas put together a really good visit. It sounds like there was a good balance of comfort, information, fun and personal connection.

***But, this race is quite a ways from being over. Evan still wants to see how the seasons play out and what the game environments are like.

***I did ask if Evan or the family have any reservations about Texas at this point and it didn’t sound like there were any. Although, I will say that in the past, Evan has mentioned that he wants to see how Sark performs this season.

***Again, expect a few unofficial visits to finish out June and then some return visits in the fall before a decision.

Evan Smith is going to be a billionaire by the time he leaves UT.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The staff watched tape on Jones and didn't see a difference maker, supposedly. Do you guys want them to waste a visit space on someone that they're not going to take as a signable rercuit?

TB appears to be a position that will reliably fill the transfer portal with talent on an ongoing basis. I don't know why a school like Texas, with the current TB depth chart, would ever feel the need to reach for a roster filler in this environment.

I liked Jones' junior HUDL, but the lack of pursuit by top-end programs despite his ranking is telling.

I agree with your basic premise on RB recruiting. My caveat is that the position sustains more wear and tear than any other in football, which means you should ideally have at least 4 and probably 5 bodies you feel comfortable playing in a given season (with walk-ons and the Gabe Watsons of the world filling out the back-end). This means you have to take an RB2 every now and then to keep the room stocked, and we haven't taken a second RB (once you account for the Derrian Brown tragedy for the 2019 class) since 2017. Back-filling with the portal can be tough since players usually don't transfer to other schools to be a backup.

Or maybe I'm full of shit and the staff will find Keilan Robinsons every year.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Jacob Sexton visiting OU today for an unofficial.

I don’t think he ends up in Norman. My guess is he signs with Texas. My wife and son saw him at a Ducks sporting goods here in the city the other day. My son took a picture with him and they both said he was a very nice and polite. If I knew how to post pictures on here I would post it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I like the "team picture" with recruits idea, psychologically speaking. I don't recall having seen that much before, if ever.

LSU does it every year when they get the best Louisiana prospects to visit for an "elite day" and take a photos together in uniform 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I hope the staff and AD have given a lot of thought about how to push the limits of what can be offered to recruits now that the Supreme Court has lifted the $5k limit on what can be offered if tied to education. Anyone here have any knowlege of what's been discussed? At a minimum, well-paid internships need to be hooked up asap. Michael Dell, I'm looking at you.

Knowing how we’ve generally operated we will be scared bitches. 

30 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

I don’t think he ends up in Norman. My guess is he signs with Texas. My wife and son saw him at a Ducks sporting goods here in the city the other day. My son took a picture with him and they both said he was a very nice and polite. If I knew how to post pictures on here I would post it. 

If Texas lands who they want with the other four OL spots (Banks, Campbell, Hutson, Robertson), then it seems like it's probably either Sexton or Williams. Landing six highly sought after OL seems like fan wish-casting 

39 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Assuming we get Brown and somehow get Finkley, would that do it for DL?  That would make Ross the only true interior DL for this class.  Finkley and Swanson are in the 250-260 lb range, so we'd have to hope they can add 30-50 lbs.

Will they show up to Texas ready to play inside their true freshman year? Maybe not. Will they be able to after two or three years on campus? Probably 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

i saw it as kicking the can down the road.

also all this talk around Blue is nothing but bullshit. i think there is still a 50.01% chance he plays his sr year somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I'm forgetting someone feel free to add, but it seems like these guys will decide in July/before the season:

Robertson, Hutson, Cam Williams, Gatson, CJ Williams, Brown, Sexton, Banks, Anderson, Cheeks.

Not sure but maybe Brooks, Harris, Boardingham, and Finkley?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Assuming we get Brown and somehow get Finkley, would that do it for DL?  That would make Ross the only true interior DL for this class.  Finkley and Swanson are in the 250-260 lb range, so we'd have to hope they can add 30-50 lbs.

If you’re including Brown, then I assume you’re including edge rushers as DL, in which case you left out Jones. Swanson seems like an IDL all the way, and I think they’d take one more, ideally Bledsoe. Finkley’s a little more questionable if he has the frame to add the weight, but I think they view him as a IDL. he could maybe play strong side edge. PK has used some guys who play around 270 there in the past. There could also be 1 or 2 more guys that pop up at these spots after senior film. 

so the class will probably look something like:

Weakside edge: Brown

IDL: Ross, Swanson, Bledsoe/Finkley

Strongside edge: Jones. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Five-star Kelvin Banks dishes on his official visit weekend at Texas

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Five-star Kelvin Banks dishes on his official visit weekend at Texas

Nick Harris

This past weekend was arguably the biggest three days so far in the Steve Sarkisian era as Texas hosted some of its top targets on both sides of the ball for a big official visit weekend in Austin.

One of the headliners of the weekend was Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive lineman Kelvin Banks as he has become one of the biggest targets for multiple regional Power Five schools. His experience at Texas this weekend was strong as he was able to talk with Steve Sarkisian and offensive line coach Kyle Flood in-person for the first time.

"I loved everything about Texas," Banks said. "The new coaches, Coach Flood, Coach Sark, we've had a relationship but the relationship was even better being able to talk to them in-person. We had some good conversations. We talked about the culture of UT and how they're gonna change the program around and make it their own culture. I talked to Coach Flood and we talked about me playing offensive tackle so he confirmed that he wants me to play offensive tackle for him."

Even though Banks admittedly says he will play anywhere his coaches want him to play, playing offensive tackle is an appealing part of what Texas has to offer. Banks was also able to talk with his visit host, Christian Jones, quite a bit throughout the weekend who reiterated some of the same things about the change in Texas' culture.

"I like him a lot," Banks said. "He was a great host. He was telling me that he could tell a big difference with the team surrounding Coach Sark and the offensive line surrounding Coach Flood. He was just saying the culture is gonna be a lot different than how it was in the past. That was a good thing to hear and also to hear that the transition to the new coaches has been a good transition."

The visit was also loaded with some of the best recruits in the country and the majority of Texas' 2022 commit class as it stands today. Banks enjoyed his time with those guys and was able to meet some new faces along the way.

"One of the fellow O-Linemen, Connor Robertson, he was pretty cool," he said. "I knew Maalik (Murphy) a little bit, I know Jaydon Blue and I spoke to Evan Stewart one time. It was a pretty cool thing having all of those recruits and players there to spend time with and have fun with."

Looking forward, Banks has just one official visit left to Texas A&M on June 25 before he will sit down with his family for the rest of the summer and come to a decision.

"I feel good," he said. "It's gonna be a real hard decision deciding who I'm gonna be around for four years. I'll say probably before the season or late July, early August. I'll probably whittle it down and make a decision."

Other schools that have landed official visits this month include LSU, Oregon and Oklahoma State.

At 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, Banks is the No. 15 overall ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 2 offensive tackle in the country and the No. 5 recruit from the state of Texas.

Elite WR Evan Stewart goes in depth to recap Texas official visit

Mike Roach

(“My host was the highlight,” Stewart said. I was hosted by Josh Moore.)

Yep.  

Spoiler

Elite WR Evan Stewart goes in depth to recap Texas official visit

Mike Roach

Evan Stewart’s visit to Austin was a success.

The five-star wide receiver from Frisco Liberty took in Austin over the weekend, and among the many things they did, his highlight was spending time with his host and current Texas wide receiver Joshua Moore.

“My host was the highlight,” Stewart said. I was hosted by Josh Moore. I don’t know if it was because I was a recruit or not, but the first time I met Josh he was real cool but real quiet. They claimed they matched me up with him because he’s a character like me. But the first time I met him he was kind of shy and he didn’t know how I would act. What was funny about him was getting him out of his shell and seeing the real him.

“There was a moment where we were going to dinner and had just had a pool party. We were in Josh’s dorm, and he asked if I was ready to go to the dinner, and I told him I needed to take a shower and change. He was telling me that the shuttle left at 6:30 and it’s 6:05. We got into a whole argument back and forth and every time he said something I told him he was wasting five minutes talking and we could have already been at the hotel.

“He finally took me to the hotel, and we made the shuttle on time. That’s when we really started clicking and really started having fun with one another.”

This was the first time Stewart had been on campus since decommitting from Texas in the spring. He said there was no bad blood between himself and the coaches and he enjoyed seeing a different side of Texas wide receivers coach Andre Coleman.

“It was good,” he said. “There was no bad blood between anybody. It was all laughs and fun. Coach Coleman is a cool dude. He’s the type of dude whose character is off the phone, it’s not on the phone.”

He also enjoyed the time spent with Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. Stewart thought that Sark was just a really easy person to be around.

“Coach Sark is that man,” he said. “He’s a dude. He’s fun and relaxed and chill. He’s a fun dude to hang out with.”

Stewart is a megastar on several social media platforms including TikTok. While he usually makes several videos during his visits, none came from the Texas trip. Stewart said he simply forgot and only remembered once everything was done.

“What’s crazy about it is, we were all ready to go after the photoshoot,” he said. “We were ready to eat, and I was changing out of the pads and uniform. I got changed, and I was sitting there waiting for everyone else and Maalik (Murphy) asked, ‘Did you already make your TikToks?’ I got so mad because I forgot. I wanted to make some and have some fun, but I just totally forgot. I was over there figuring out what kind of poses I wanted to do because I couldn’t be normal.”

Because of his popularity on social media, several of his trends have gone viral in the recruiting world. Stewart’s pose of laying on his stomach with his hands under his chin and his feet in the air has been copied by recruits nationwide. While fans have criticized it, Stewart said he’s just having fun.

“I’ve seen a lot of fans comment on it like what kind of cheerleader pose is this,” he said. “We want to have fun. We are still recruits and we can have fun. We are in high school and not in the business yet. I just have an outside the box thought process when it comes to that stuff.”

Stewart spent a lot of time on the trip with Texas quarterback commit Maalik Murphy. The two always had a good relationship and he enjoyed seeing him and all of the other recruits on the trip.

“Me and Maalik are both characters so putting two characters together is always going to be good,” he said. “Me and Maalik have similar thoughts going into life after football. We both want to go into broadcasting and media. We were really clicking and hanging out. We all were really clicking. All of the recruits were just hanging out and having a great time.”

Because of his social media fame, the name, image and likeness pitch has been linked with him quite a bit. Stewart said that he’s actually not worried about that as much as everyone thinks because he knows that his play on the field will have to come first.

“I don’t know why everyone thinks the NIL is big for me because it’s really not,” he said. “I’ve already gotten it through my head that nothing is going to happen with NLI unless I’m doing what I need to do on the field. It hasn’t really been a big part of my recruitment because it isn’t going to come without my play, but they pitched it very well. It wasn’t too much, and they didn’t overdo it. After it was done, it was done and that was the talk.”

Stewart was originally scheduled to visit USC this weekend, but he has since canceled that trip. He will instead make unofficial trips to LSU and Alabama. He also wants to make a few trips during the fall to see some games and make his decision after that.

“Really after I see them play, I should be able to make a decision,” he said. “I’m just going to some games this fall and after I visit those games, I’ll be ready to decide.”

At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Stewart is ranked as the No. 4 wide receiver in the nation and No. 10 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you’re including Brown, then I assume you’re including edge rushers as DL, in which case you left out Jones. Swanson seems like an IDL all the way, and I think they’d take one more, ideally Bledsoe. Finkley’s a little more questionable if he has the frame to add the weight, but I think they view him as a IDL. he could maybe play strong side edge. PK has used some guys who play around 270 there in the past. There could also be 1 or 2 more guys that pop up at these spots after senior film. 

so the class will probably look something like:

Weakside edge: Brown

IDL: Ross, Swanson, Bledsoe/Finkley

Strongside edge: Jones. 

What is the latest on Boardingham? And I guess since the lead recruiter is Banks then TE.

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wasn't there talk of grade issues?

IIRC, Gerry has said that he's taking care of the grade issues through summer school, but he can be difficult for coaches to contact at times (and also recruiting reporters/analysts), and some schools might bow out of his recruitment because of that 

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well that's going to change the tenor of the board in a hurry.

It looks like we have a very solid floor already set for the defense. We have 6 commits and some strong leans. If those leans commit soon then we can try to cherry pick from that point forward. Offense is more of an open book. Sark is probably going the Bama way which means more late signings, more angst, and more shoot the moon for all the top guys. Offensive line to me will be telling - I think we will follow more of a strong floor type of approach and push for commits from Hutson, Robertson, and Sexton and then hope for as many top guys (Banks and Campbell being the most likely) as possible. Experts say that I am wrong and that the class will be 5 guys only. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting