Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

How about Texas does a better job of building their program, incorporating a bag game, putting players in the league, and keeping their facilities up to date?

I agree.  The coaches were brought to a decade long shit show I’m not surprised we’re losing good recruits.  The coaches do however have enough talent to win 10+ this year and that’s the only way recruiting starts to change for the better.  

I'm all for harping on the staff for fucking this recruitment up, but I think theres 2 pretty critical pieces to this that more people aren't taking into consideration.

1) Oregon seems to have their dick swinging in the bag game big time, and our guys are apparently showing reluctantcy in dabbling

2) I don't think its fair to say "well we passed on Sexton because we thought we had banks." alot of posters have pointed out, and I think it was Gerry that said the staff viewed him on the interior and we already had the bash bros. It's not apples to apples.

With NIL I feel there is going to be a lot or decommit/recommit happening with this class until signing day. Ship has to be righted first, recruiting for Texas will take care of itself if that happens. 
Problem with that thinking is recruiting is crucial to righting the ship. Even if aggy had Sark calling plays last year, they likely still don't beat Bama and go on to their glorious destiny as SEC champeens and playoff contenders.

Any given team can have roughly the same number of 4-5*'s on the starting lineup for offense and defense and still cant beat a team like Bama who has near equal quality on the 2 deep. Football is a brutal game, depth matters.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bags >>> NIL especially in this current climate
I'm afraid you're right. Commits seemed easy to come by early on when visits were prohibited and it wasnt clear if the wealthiest program in the country would be in the bag game or not. Guess the answer to the last part is self evident.

46 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Commitments don't mean shit to these kids these day.  They love all the hype and attention.  Once it stops, they want more.  When Texas wins this year, A&M gets 3rd in the SEC West again, Oregon loses 4 games and these kids see what Sark and Flood are doing, they will flip.  Nothing matters until the letter is signed in December. 

Like someone said earlier. We aren’t flipping 20 kids. The ags haven’t accomplished shit ever and they still pull more ass than us. This is a bag game not a win game. We need those pockets to assist.  Winning may change a mind or 2 but we aren’t flipping the state

Edited by Sgt Hulk

One thing is for sure, our coaches better wake up and smell the damn coffee. We should've landed Banks (one-time silent, grew up a UT fan, dad is a UT fan, Flood is a top OL coach) and now aren't even in the top 2?!? Sounds like they're blind to what's happening with this overconfidence.

I also wonder if we're missing the ball on NIL. We may be a leader in preparing for legit NIL, but do recruits give a shit? This could change with more proof points, but a phony NIL deal at signing probably carries a lot more weight for now than the potential for better legit deals (even if it shouldn't financially).

10 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

We will be fine. The OV during a game week experience and hopefully improved play on the field along with the SEZ project ought to help us a lot this fall. We (by "we" I mean @texifornia but I happen to agree 😊) said back in January that the two must get guys in this class were Denver Harris and Devon Campbell. They are still there for the taking. Presumably, we still lead for Finkley, Patton, and Brown right now too. If we can somehow get Anderson im still loving where we are at. Im not gonna blame the coaching staff that hasn't coached a game yet haha I trust them over our 9.95ers, those guys are throwing the staff under the bus to save their own asses. They were misinformed and they led us astray.

I tend to agree with most of this although Banks was right there with Harris/Campbell for me. If we get those 2 and Anderson, it will be a very good class (with shortcomings at OT only). I have very little confidence on closing Harris and Anderson though. More optimistic on Campbell if we're going against OU (not an SEC/Oregon battle). And even the OU mod has a CB for us right now.

11 minutes ago, ousux said:

Problem with that thinking is recruiting is crucial to righting the ship. Even if aggy had Sark calling plays last year, they likely still don't beat Bama and go on to their glorious destiny as SEC champeens and playoff contenders.

Any given team can have roughly the same number of 4-5*'s on the starting lineup for offense and defense and still cant beat a team like Bama who has near equal quality on the 2 deep. Football is a brutal game, depth matters.

You’re jumping like 3 steps here lol. Win enough games to make the big 12 title for several years, win the big 12 for several years, beat blOwU badly several times, then let’s worry about competing with bama. That will make sark the best coach we’ve had since 2010. Recruiting will be fine if we do those things consistently. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Goodman said:

Anyone else camping out at the Bank's tonight for the big announcement?

No shit. Getting this one recruit has risen to the level of Vince versus Leinert in 2006. 

Bruh Man announces that this is the watershed moment for our new coach who hasn't coached a single game and who picked up some good recruits this very week. I know Bruh doesn't speak for the board, but he does represent the determination to reach broad conclusions based on narrow evidence almost daily.

I kind of feel like this is how many experience an actual game.

Good play: yay!

Another good play: I would have called something else.

Two yard gain: We really suck.

No gain: What ape is calling the plays? We're doomed.

Bad play: I want the coaches dragged to the fifty yard line, forced to their knees, and dispatched with pistols from behind.

Shuffle the above and voila!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

"Hudson is the highest-ranked commit in SMU history."

A few months later, in a remarkable coincidence, he was also the highest-ranked de..... 

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

After losing Williams and Banks but landing 2 white linemen you have to think that Sark can’t close with black players. You would think he would be great relating to POC players because he’s Armenian. 

Really? That's what you've gotten out of this?

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

As far as Banks, it sucks.  This reminds me of last year when we were going to get every OL and ended up with none of themZ  I’m happy we have Robertson and Hutson.  Let’s hope we close the deal on Campbell but those elite guys are getting the negative sell from every school on Texas.  They are literally showing them data that Texas is the worst school when it comes to developing g blue chip prospects.  Hard to combat that until you prove it on the field.

I'm sure this is true, and the data does look bad, but you'd think the coaches could counter it by pointing to development at their recent jobs which is exceptional. It's not like the Longhorn logo is doing the development. Sark/Flood have had shit loads of 1st/2nd rounders the last 2 years alone (and Saban isn't an offensive coach). PK has had a bunch at UW. 

Meanwhile Aggy hasn't had a single first rounder in their 3 years under Jimbo (only one 2nd rounder) so what the hell are they pointing to that's any better. Probably just using Sumlin-era numbers which are irrelevant. Our staff should be able to sell development as a positive but they're clearly getting outmaneuvered. 

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm sure this is true, and the data does look bad, but you'd think the coaches could counter it by pointing to development at their recent jobs which is exceptional. It's not like the Longhorn logo is doing the development. Sark/Flood have had shit loads of 1st/2nd rounders the last 2 years alone (and Saban isn't an offensive coach). PK has had a bunch at UW. 

Meanwhile Aggy hasn't had a single first rounder in their 3 years under Jimbo (only one 2nd rounder) so what the hell are they pointing to that's any better. Probably just using Sumlin-era numbers which are irrelevant. Our staff should be able to sell development as a positive but they're clearly getting outmaneuvered. 

Not to sound like a jackass but I’m not sure many of these kids think that deeply. They’re convinced it’s all Saban. They think it’s the logo and the media (Paul Finbaum, Heather Dinich, etc) haven’t been helping matters tbh.  ESPN actively running hit pieces on Sark before even coaching a game matters more than we’d like to think. We have to win something tangible quickly plain and simple.

As for Jimbo, he’s Daniel Brown 2.0 as far as I’m concerned. Great recruiter, overrated coach. Look at his record without Winston. Aggy fans are convinced he’s the guy so good for them I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

They have been out-recruiting USC in California for a long time now

The past few years, sure, but it depends on what you mean by “long time.” Perusing 247 rankinggs, USC typically has a 3-5 point advantage in average player rating over the past 10 years. Oregon has only clearly beaten them a couple of times in both overall team rankings and player average. Both have underperformed based on rankings, which might speak more to recent California player rankings being off than anything else. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting