Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Specifically in the swag department, the idea that just occurred to me is the concept of a grab bag. There's always superfluous gear of all kinds that folks aren't buying. And not a lot of the gear I've seen from the new guys is really my cup of tea, honestly. I mean I pretty much never wear T-shirts anymore unless I'm doing yard work. I don't wear a lot of hats because I look fucking stupid in them. So I'm probably not buying a lot of Overshown's or Jamison's new clothing line. 

That being said, I've seen mystery boxes and monthly shit become wildly popular these last few years, as I'm sure all of you have as well. Bespoke Post, my wife I got a sub to a monthly makeup/product box that sent her small amounts of stuff monthly. A clothing company I like occasionally has mystery boxes where they'll sell $300 worth of shit for like $85, usually excess inventory that's a year or two old from their warehouse. I bet there's a business model like that for UT gear and products, which could be exclusively player produced inventory. Will I buy T-shirts and hats I will never use? no. Will I spend $50 every month for a UT grab bag of products that has 3 mystery items in it? Probably. Someone should develop that business model with some of the player clothing companies and strike a partnership on inventory. 

Yeah, this is exactly what I had in mind as well. The inherent problem is the indirect relationship to the player. You would have to license their logo or something to pay out the sub revenue.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can tell you this, and I know other folks in business might say otherwise, but, to me, the hardest thing to do in startupland is raising money. I’ve raised more than $60million as a leader in various entities and it doesn’t get any easier the next time around.  I’m raising right now and helping two other groups do the same. My raise has gone well, and has still drug on, and the others have been an outright fucking beating. 

I've started one business and this is exactly the reason I'll never do it again, and we raised nowhere near $60M. I've got the time to do the digital aspects, but I would need someone else to run with incorporating, financials, etc. That said, the cost of entry on this kind of business is usually pretty low, unless the athlete brands are all drop ship brands where we would need to stock inventory. Ideally, you're just bundling with the wholesaler and never touching inventory.

You're right, this needs a board and/or dedicated threads. 

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, this is exactly what I had in mind as well. The inherent problem is the indirect relationship to the player. You would have to license their logo or something to pay out the sub revenue.

I've started one business and this is exactly the reason I'll never do it again, and we raised nowhere near $60M. I've got the time to do the digital aspects, but I would need someone else to run with incorporating, financials, etc. That said, the cost of entry on this kind of business is usually pretty low, unless the athlete brands are all drop ship brands where we would need to stock inventory. Ideally, you're just bundling with the wholesaler and never touching inventory.

I'm not sure this is necessarily as big of a problem as you think. If you partner with the parent company groups, then the NIL stuff is already bundled into that. They get a percentage of sales, and that would still be true. Your inventory point is true however. Blending multiple supply chains would be a nightmare. It's almost like someone should tell each position group to go in on something, and should be advised. It wouldn't stop guys from selling their own stuff individually. But it would allow for a larger lump sum payout to players for buying inventory up front, having it go to a central location, then grab bag it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(Justin Wells) JTEN: Jamarion Miller, Connor Robertson, and Cole Hutson on Texas

We catch up with the three most recent commitments to UT’s Class of 2022. They explain when and why Texas was the choice in this edition of JTEN.

RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX) - 2022

It might be some time before we truly appreciate how big it was nabbing the four-star tailback from the piney woods. At 5-foot-11, 205 pounds, and with a 10.7 100m last spring, snagging this cat was essential. “I really loved the entire visit,” Miller said after his official trip and commitment hours later. “I hadn’t been to Austin in almost two years. I’d forgotten how much I loved this place.” After frequenting UT as a middle schooler during his older brother Damion’s recruitment and verbal pledge to the Horns’ Class of 2017, getting back to the ATX resonated with him and his family.

“People remembered my mom,” Miller said. “It was almost like we never left. Just so good being back. Coach (Stan) Drayton was great. Coach (Brandon) Harris helped so much. And when Coach Sark took me to his man cave at home after dinner, he spoke about family and building long-lasting relationships. I committed to Texas at that moment.” With Jaydon Blue and Miller in the class, the running back position is likely wrapped up this cycle. Now Miller, who was never a fan of the recruiting process, gets to focus on his senior year and look forward to the next 4-5 years in the ATX, where he always belonged.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco High (Frisco, TX)

This was a big get. At 6-foot-5, 312 pounds, the composite four-star committed to Texas over the holiday weekend. “Texas made me I feel like I was home,” said Hutson. “On my official visit, they really made me enjoy it, they showed me around, they made me understand the bigger picture." It seems Kyle Flood was strong in this pursuit. His message came across loud and clear. “I really understood what the coaches' message was to me and the players really helped me in my decision,” Hutson said.

The son of a former pro athlete handled the recruiting process about as well as anyone, and it was obvious his decision was well-thought out. Hutson brings size, athleticism, and versatility to the 2022 class. Just need a couple more.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX):

His dad grew up a Longhorn and graduated from the University of Texas. He lived down the block in Westlake. So when the 6-foot-4, 296-pounder committed to UT recently, the first question was easy. Why Texas? “Just because it felt like home,” said Robertson. “It was where I was most comfortable and most excited. My gut told me Texas and I didn’t want to go against my gut.” Robertson choose the Horns over Stanford, USC, and Northwestern.

After starting at RT as a junior and helping Austin Westlake to the Texas 6A D-I state championship, now he can focus on a three-peat for the Chaparrals and building on UT’s class this cycle. “I’m so fired up,” said Robertson. And I know one father that’s probably even more happy.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Blending multiple supply chains would be a nightmare.

Its not as hard as you think, it would need some sort of consolidator like you mentioned before as well as somewhere to actually physically store the inventory but in terms of the actual shipping/delivery/allocation, its fairly simple. I work with Fed Ex and work with stuff like this daily on both the freight and small package side. The whole world is shifting to an Ecommerce landscape, and basically all of the work I do on a daily basis is geared towards that

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Its not as hard as you think, it would need some sort of consolidator like you mentioned before as well as somewhere to actually physically store the inventory but in terms of the actual shipping/delivery/allocation, its fairly simple. I work with Fed Ex and work with stuff like this daily on both the freight and small package side. The whole world is shifting to an Ecommerce landscape, and basically all of the work I do on a daily basis is geared towards that

Well, I've just outlined some gold for you sir. Lets sign you up and get you started. Ricky and I will take 5% ownership apiece for our genius. when can we expect our first progress report?

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I've just outlined some gold for you sir. Lets sign you up and get you started. Ricky and I will take 5% ownership apiece for our genius. when can we expect our first progress report?

How about I just take an additional 5% ownership plus the margin I make off the shipping itself and yall call me when you find someone who can handle inventory/warehousing and consolidation

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

How about I just take an additional 5% ownership plus the margin I make off the shipping itself and yall call me when you find someone who can handle inventory/warehousing and consolidation

That's not how this works. We're the idea guy. You're the sweat equity guy.

And congrats, we've now just perfectly illustrated CTJ's point about passion and leadership. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jester said:

Let's sponsor a fleet of pom girls to work on this project for us.  We can live stream the offices to folks who donate.  We won't have issues raising funds.

We need Treasure's to sponsor the football team.

Not real sure the back up LB at a University is going to make a lot of money, but $100 bucks is a lot of money to a college kid. Guessing most players want some kind of apparel deal, but to me that is not where the big money is going to be made. Got to leverage Tiktok, Instagram, Cameo etc...problem is it's only going to help the superstars. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I doubt this board could raise $10,000 to start anything, so the hurdles seem insurmountable. 200 people throwing $50 each into a pot gets you there. Short of a few of us throwing in $1000, I doubt it would happen. So, honestly, hold your breath and bide your time and some of these idiotic stories like the Miami gym guy will blow past. $10000 barely pays 85 guys $117 one time. Hey, it would be our small part, I guess. 

Sheeeeit, you underestimate!! I bet we'd only need 5 guys to raise 10k, by dinner, if we are talking about buying a smoker for a new BBQ venture.    

• Haha 1

Just now, The Beast said:

Not real sure the back up LB at a University is going to make a lot of money, but $100 bucks is a lot of money to a college kid. Guessing most players want some kind of apparel deal, but to me that is not where the big money is going to be made. Got to leverage Tiktok, Instagram, Cameo etc...problem is it's only going to help the superstars. 

That's the value of the kind of business being discussed, though. You basically fund the volume purchase of the product their interested in promoting (apparel and personal brand) which makes it more viable. Then, you contract the players directly to promote you on social. Win/Win. 

That's not how this works. We're the idea guy. You're the sweat equity guy.

And congrats, we've now just perfectly illustrated CTJ's point about passion and leadership. 

Sweat equity sounds awful, I mean do you know how much time and effort a podcast takes? Literally dozens of minutes per month! That said, we should just crowd source 200 people per month to throw in $50 each and we just give that cash to a recruit to come on the podcast and they can advertise their brand or whatever. We can just vote for 3 recruits we want to throw 40k at at the start of the year, tell them they have a 40k interview waiting for them on signing day. Boom, Surly bought 3 recruits (This post is intended only as a joke if this is illegal, I am not reading the rules)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'll set up an NIL board now I'm thinking each school should have their own thread and then individual threads for those who have high earnings by themselves? 

School individual threads seems onerous. And who is going to admit to being a high earner, even here?

I'd definitely have a thread for UT ideas, as well as a thread showing things other schools are doing for us to steal, however.

Team needs a "FaaS" model. Football as a Service. Have the players set fees for birthday parties, shoutouts on jumbotron, appearances at general parties/store openings, bar openings etc etc

Could easily set and manage a sliding fee scale for various players based on status etc.

You want the starting QB to mention your ass by name in a press conference as a shoutout? $25k

You want the back up long snapper to show up for a ribbon cutting? $250

Bachelorette parties? Skies the limit

and so on and so on. Similar to that service for C list celebs "Cameo" but strictly for football.

The Pom Girls should do the same.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Uhhh... what would stop us from setting up a 501c3 so people can take a tax deduction and just set it up as a scholarship that's only available to football players? 

The fact that the CEO would have a rainbow afro?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Team needs a "FaaS" model. Football as a Service. Have the players set fees for birthday parties, shoutouts on jumbotron, appearances at general parties/store openings, bar openings etc etc

Could easily set and manage a sliding fee scale for various players based on status etc.

You want the starting QB to mention your ass by name in a press conference as a shoutout? $25k

You want the back up long snapper to show up for a ribbon cutting? $250

Bachelorette parties? Skies the limit

and so on and so on. Similar to that service for C list celebs "Cameo" but strictly for football.

The Pom Girls should do the same.

I can see it now.    

Reporter at Press conference:  Hudson, tell us about that 79 yard TD pass to Evan Stewart in the third quarter.

Hudson:  Well, as I was saying to my good friend TRACES OF TEXAS before the game, Evan has blinding speed and as soon as he gave that receiver the shake I knew he was open...

Reporter: Tope, as a lineman, are you worried that you're not able to build your brand in the same way as some of the skill players?

Imade:  I was a little bit worried about that, but then TRACES OF TEXAS came through with that "Great Wall of Texas"  promotion ... 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Haha 2

I've been wondering if they are used to Bama and USC and not taking into account their present situation.
Not so much USC, but this has been my thought with how much of the staff just came from Bama.

How often do you think players silent to bama and then jump to places like Oregon unexpectedly? Maybe it happens, but I bet not often. Guys who said they were committing probably tended to stick with it.

Suddenly they're seeing guys they thought were locked up being effectively negative recruited and jumping ship. Not something they've likely had to deal with recently. It definitely feels like we may have been blindsided by these last few, but I'll see how we respond before panicking. This is, at least theoretically, a strong recruiting staff. I'm going to trust that means they're capable of adjusting tactics when adjustments are needed.
  • Hook 'Em 2

How can that albatross the "Longhorn Network" be used in NIL? That shit has to be good for something. Have the entire team start redoing all of those lame ass 6-8 year old commercials and give 'em a piece of the pie.

CHIEF

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Are you the a-hole who dropped my package last week? We have you on our Ring, but your mask covers up most of your face! That was a one of kind Hummel, “Drunk Kid with Pretzel and Bratwurst”, and their customer service sucks! 

image.thumb.jpeg.f93b11a4f2d1c7df134b4d12adae85bb.jpeg

• Haha 2

Just now, Vito Andolini said:

Are you the a-hole who dropped my package last week? We have you on our Ring, but your mask covers up most of your face! That was a one of kind Hummel, “Drunk Kid with Pretzel and Bratwurst”, and their customer service sucks! 

image.thumb.jpeg.f93b11a4f2d1c7df134b4d12adae85bb.jpeg

I didn't realize you were married to Mitch Cumsteen. 

59 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you're obviously not familiar with all the digital horses we own.

Start sponsoring players with a horse.  "Bijan Arabianson" or "Hudson Card Before The Horse"  or "DeMarvion WinPlaceOrOvershown". Whichever horse wins, send the ethereum to that sponsored player's wallet.

• Haha 4

Just now, TotallyLegit said:

I think the sharing economy might be the answer to this. Pay $5k to be driven by or have your food delivered by a football player.

That’d be dope. I was just thinking Chick-fil-A from Bijan would really hit the spot for dinner.

9.75 for food, $5k for delivery. I’m sure work won’t push back on the overtime meal expense.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

Funny how you "know" stuff... that you honestly do not know.   Comparing Michigan and Ohio State to Texas is fucking stupid.  NEITHER has remotely the media scrutiny that Texas does.  And bagmen here simply will not work.  

But keep convincing yourself to the contrary.  And switch hands occassionally.... 😉

Bagmen won't work here because "We're Texas"?  The only way bagmen don't work is if those running the operation get sloppy.

I think you're against the bag game because of some "holier than thou" attitude.  Why any fan in 2021 would not only want but encourage the bag game is astounding...

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

We're looking for revenue streams, not cost centers.

No, no... You are missing the point. We start a strip club with a profit sharing plan with ownership profits fed into an LLC which invests in football recruiting and Surly tailgates.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

No, no... You are missing the point. We start a strip club with a profit sharing plan with ownership profits fed into an LLC which invests in football recruiting and Surly tailgates.

There's no way a strip club money laundering operation could possibly ever work.

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting