Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

59 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

So wtf happened with Banks, was everyone just getting the wrong read on him or was he actually coming here until Oregon swooped in. Did Oregon drop a load of cash on him and we refused or didn't get a chance to match, or  is it just that our coaches can't close and they simply out recruited us?

Give us some hope that these are just early growing pains and we'll learn from this and improve or are we gonna be asking these questions in 4 years in the fire Sark thread.

Banks hasn't signed shit. 

Edited by Blackcat00

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

should I change the name of the board to simpy horns because you simps need to stop acting like the world is ending when we are more than 4 months away from NSD1 and more than 6 months away from NSD2.

Verbal commits are dogshit. 

Getting verbal commits from the best players is important. I feel weird having to say that on the recruiting board.

Sure agreeing to have an exclusive relationship with a girl doesn't mean you're going to marry her (especially if you're Jimbo), but it's a damn important step.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

should I change the name of the board to simpy horns because you simps need to stop acting like the world is ending when we are more than 4 months away from NSD1 and more than 6 months away from NSD2.

Verbal commits are dogshit. 

When's the last time something in Texas Football has shown all of the signs and trends of ending poorly, but magically reversed course and worked out? Mack reengaging? Charlie Strong? Tom Herman? The recruitments of Billy Bowman, Rondale Moore, Jerry Jeudy, et al? I'll hang up and listen.

If you want to set yourself up for disappointment, by all means, have at it. But chastising those living in reality on your way seems...misguided. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Getting verbal commits from the best players is important. I feel weird having to say that on the recruiting board.

Sure going on a date with a girl doesn't mean you're going to marry her, but it's a damn important step.

Angry Swift GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 2

Just now, texifornia said:

Sure going on a date with a girl doesn't mean you're going to marry her, but it's a damn important step.

Ok so...I am confused. We do have commits. 14 of them. We are currently highly ranked by most recruiting services. And we have several months to go before NSD. If past experience is any indication decommits and recommits and chaos is going to rage in the next coming months. The game is far from over.

Granted I am not really a recruiting guy so maybe I don't get the intricacies of the game here but I don't see reasons to panic and start self-flagellating. So explain how 14 commits and a high ranking actually means no commits and panic time.

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

When's the last time something in Texas Football has shown all of the signs and trends of ending poorly, but magically reversed course and worked out? Mack reengaging? Charlie Strong? Tom Herman? The recruitments of Billy Bowman, Rondale Moore, Jerry Jeudy, et al? I'll hang up and listen.

If you want to set yourself up for disappointment, by all means, have at it. But chastising those living in reality on your way seems...misguided. 

I mean everything has ended poorly for us since January 1, 2010. So at least some things have shown all the signs and trends of ending well and still ended poorly. So I guess you got us there.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok so...I am confused. We do have commits. 14 of them. We are currently highly ranked by most recruiting services. And we have several months to go before NSD. If past experience is any indication decommits and recommits and chaos is going to rage in the next coming months. The game is far from over.

Granted I am not really a recruiting guy so maybe I don't get the intricacies of the game here but I don't see reasons to panic and start self-flagellating. So explain how 14 commits and a high ranking actually means no commits and panic time.

We lost out on Banks which was seen as trending our way, our 995ers said its 50/50 on Anderson, and Winfield and Guilbeau are looking around.

The panic is because we whiffed on our OT targets, we need OTs.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

We just whiffed on our top 3 realistic OT prospects without a whole lot of clear backup plans and are showing signs of our recruiting staff being in over their heads. Maybe we make good changes ASAP, and I’m sure some guys will pop on senior film, but it’s not an enviable situation to say the least. 

I agree that the whiffing is concerning, but one counterpoint not really discussed is that the portal will likely be good to us with OT's.  OT is a hard position to evaluate/project in a HS player anyway, and is a position that requires a longer developmental timeline. Relying more than usual on transfers may be a smart strategy today.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I was mostly responding to "verbal commits are dogshit". But...

UT as a program/AD was caught flatfooted on a new facet of the recruiting landscape, while Oregon publicly made their best player a near-millionaire in week one.

Our boosters just aren't going to do the bag chicanery for the foreseeable future for an assortment of reasons. Which makes the NLI fumble a lot worse.

Sark and his staff made some really obvious mistakes on the back office recruiting staff, that a bunch of internet idiots could see would go poorly, and lo and behold Harris and his band of middle schoolers aren't exactly getting a rep as focused ruthless salesmen.

There's some overconfidence in this staff that'll probably get ironed out as they go along, but makes people feel like rugs are getting pulled out beneath their feet - some stuff is just a new staff settling in.

Sark's background also means he's going to be incredibly easy to negative recruit until he breaks 8 wins and is sober for a whole year as a head coach.

So, no reason to panic, but a lot of reasons to be nervous about our top-end targets. It's feeling like a very 7-15ish ranked class at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is fair, but we aren't currently looking at the Sarkisian era as trending poorly before we've played a single game are we? If we are writing off the misses in this class so far and adjusting our expectations for the 2022 class I'm there. I don't expect a flood of big flips from committed prospects no matter how well we play this season. 

Unrelated, but were we in on the Jeudy recruitment at some point? I don't remember that at all.

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The panic is because we whiffed on our OT targets, we need OTs.

Fair enough. Certainly not getting our top guys is bad for prestige and perceived momentum, which is why Mack Brown worked so hard to make sure it never looked like we ever lost a recruiting battle for anybody. So yeah, ok. 

1. Still lots of time.

2. It is Offensive Line, a notoriously difficult position to project out of High School right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Following up on CTJ's post, I don't personally know Sark but a friend of mine knows him extremely well.  When he was hired, he described Sark as a guy's guy that everyone likes.  He felt Texas fans would be very happy with him at Texas.  With that type of description, I could see there being a bit of a challenge in closing a recruit. You have to be pretty ballsy and pushy to get an order as a salesperson, and Urban, Jimbo, Orgeron, Dabo, and Saban all come across as cheesy used car salesmen to some extent. However, cheesy used car salesmen also turn off some buyers. Really smart, confident, and talented recruits/parents may not like that bullshit approach. But, when also hit with stats on the NFL, they put up with it anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

This is fair, but we aren't currently looking at the Sarkisian era as trending poorly before we've played a single game are we? If we are writing off the misses in this class so far and adjusting our expectations for the 2022 class I'm there. I don't expect a flood of big flips from committed prospects no matter how well we play this season. 

Unrelated, but were we in on the Jeudy recruitment at some point? I don't remember that at all.

Yeah, to be clear I don't think anything I said really impacts on-field performance. It's a good coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

We are currently highly ranked because two of the schools that will finish in the top 3 are currently picking and choosing their classes (see here: Clemson, Alabama) while several schools like aggy, UNC, Oregon, USC, are all poised to possibly move ahead of us as not only are our primary targets headed elsewhere (ie Banks) but the secondary targets (ie. Williams, Fitzpatrick, Sexton) are as well. The tertiary targets (Ebosele, Gagophein) haven't had much if any contact with the coaches or recruiting staff, so making headway with them is going to be challenging. The staff as a whole has been unable to message anything regarding NIL. I don't think it's panic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm an Aggie so take it for zero worth if you'd like, but I think Banks can be kept in-state. Oregon is quite a distance away for a recruit to end up in, especially when there are two in-state programs with good-to-great OL corches, brand programs (for NIL), and plenty of on-air games in football-relevant tv markets.

Whatever voodoo Oregon put on Banks can wear off given enough time. And I don't know about Flood and Sark, but Jimbo has flipped some decently rated guys to A&M after being in the thick of things for their commitments and losing out on their initial commits (Bobby Brown and Akinola Ogunbiyi come to mind).  If Kyle Flood is who you all think he is, then Banks has two great options right in state. And there are months to go before anything is final. So...chill?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

My only point is that ignoring the misses and signs of abject recruiting failure is silly. We have not proven that "everything will be just fine" in a long time. We have data points to the contrary and I'm really tired of hearing that line from posters who either a) have no idea what they're talking about, or b) live in a fantasy world (in some cases both).

You're right on Jeudy, I meant Waddle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The consternation about Sark being a "guy's guy" and brilliant mind but not a closer does have a silver lining: profiles for better long-term results, despite possible negative effects for this current cycle. 

Judging by the Noah Cain (?) story, Herman was a pushy closer. So extrapolating to his 2018 'pre-results' class, he probably pushed and closed a good amount of guys, especially the 2018 Houston crew that was gangbusters at the time. But, you get 2-3 years in and Herman's true character starts to show. The guys on the team hate him, results start to sour on the field, and recruits start to shy away as early as 2019 despite getting the hard sell; by 2021 his closing ability is essentially dead. 

Also re the support staff: the fish stinks from the head down. Once Herman was revealed, the support staff was useless. I trust Sark to figure out the staff once things settle in. 

So, I think i'd prefer Sark's true character/culture to start translating to exponentially better recruiting results in 2-3 years rather than peaking early. And in that time work to develop a recruiting infrastructure that fits his culture. The Dabo model. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I'm an Aggie so take it for zero worth if you'd like, but I think Banks can be kept in-state. Oregon is quite a distance away for a recruit to end up in, especially when there are two in-state programs with good-to-great OL corches, brand programs (for NIL), and plenty of on-air games in football-relevant tv markets.

Whatever voodoo Oregon put on Banks can wear off given enough time. And I don't know about Flood and Sark, but Jimbo has flipped some decently rated guys to A&M after being in the thick of things for their commitments and losing out on their initial commits (Bobby Brown and Akinola Ogunbiyi come to mind).  If Kyle Flood is who you all think he is, then Banks has two great options right in state. And there are months to go before anything is final. So...chill?

Ladies and gentlemen we've now reached the point where Texas football fanaticism is so apathetic and woe is me that an aggie has to console us and become the voice of reason.  Does anyone here have any interest in clinging to any segment of reality?  Or, do we not?  FUN!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I can't believe I read the last 2 pages of this slop. I've learned that Sark could be wetting his whistle, our O-line is eternally doomed and I heard an aggie kind of make sense. 

I'm out for the weekend. 

See you all again in 10 to 15 minutes. 

For me the last 2 days have been a brilliant success.  Via the NIL discussions, I was made aware of Olivia Dunne and have thoroughly enjoyed her instagram content.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I can't believe I read the last 2 pages of this slop. I've learned that Sark could be wetting his whistle, our O-line is eternally doomed and I heard an aggie kind of make sense. 

I'm out for the weekend. 

See you all again in 10 to 15 minutes. 

doh. dp. (meaning double post to avoid any doubt)

Edited by Ravishing Rick

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

My only point is that ignoring the misses and signs of abject recruiting failure is silly. We have not proven that "everything will be just fine" in a long time. We have data points to the contrary and I'm really tired of hearing that line from posters who either a) have no idea what they're talking about, or b) live in a fantasy world (in some cases both).

You're right on Jeudy, I meant Waddle. 

I mean I have been watching baseball this whole time. I don't know what I am talking about. 

But after 11 years of pure garbage we all know what we need to do: win the fucking conference. Win it. Please. Just once.

So my standard is: are we recruiting well enough to do that? We in general we have for a decade. Most years are have more stars and are ranked ahead of OU. Despite that, For the most part we are not even close to being competitive in the Big 12 outside of that one "glorious" blip in 2018. 

So with that record of putrid failure, why would anybody want to come here when they could go to a place that actually wins something? I have no idea. I think it is frankly miraculous we still can talk about top 10 recruiting classes in that context.

All I want to see us do is have either the #1 or #2 recruiting class in this conference and finish 1st or 2nd every year. How about that? How about not sucking complete shit for awhile? I bet that would help recruiting.

With the caveat I indeed don't know what I am talking about, we seem to be doing well enough to achieve our goals if we stop being garbage on the field. It strikes me as unrealistic to think that a program with an established decade long track record of failure and humiliation is going to be a big recruiting success every year. We just need to be successful enough. So I guess my reaction is that of course we are not getting the top dudes. But do we need the top players in the country to finish in the top 2 of the Big 12? No. So let's do that and then I bet those top recruits come.

Or just pay them all off with NIL deals. Either one.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

Humidor

Spoiler

Name, Image, Likeness

There is a lot to account for when it comes to NIL and that’s even before you consider each state has its own laws that may advantage or disadvantage schools on the recruiting trail. That’s the other side of the coin. Yes, it’s good these players can make money, but Texas needs to ensure success — even if the rules state the school must remain hands off — in order to help recruiting. This law is an absolute gift to Texas

No surprise here, but from the Texas side of things they intend to err on the side of caution and work at the pace of compliance. Compliance is said to be slowing things down but I’m not sure the football side of things is overly concerned, at least not yet. The priority from football’s perspective is player eligibility, especially for the types who might benefit most from NIL.

From our contacts, boosters seem eager to take advantage of the new laws and “help” for lack of a better term.

Fair market value vs paying players to help recruiting

Nobody knows what fair market value is. Players and those in their inner circle are selling UT basically being a pro team in a large market. There’s some merit to that, but these players on a consistently under-performing team aren’t really worth NFL money, outside of maybe Bijan Robinson.

One donor and wise businessman who is working to figure out if he can strike fair market deals with a couple of priority targets says, “If they can strike ten $10,000 deals, that’s real money.”

Players profiting in that manner would certainly help recruiting, but to really help recruiting Bijan Robinson will need to become one of the biggest beneficiaries of the new rules. The Texas staff needs somebody they can point to on the recruiting trail, somebody who demonstrates Texas’ commitment to being at the forefront of wherever this goes.

Last fall, IT wrote that we’d find out if Texas wanted to be a football school. The triumvirate of Kevin Eltife, Jay Hartzell, and Chris Del Conte certainly responded in the affirmative.

Just seven months later, we’ll soon find out if that’s where the limit of their resolve, and if boosters who are in a position to strike deals are committed to being a football school, all at the speed of compliance, of course.

RECRUITING

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX) - 2022: After really enjoying his unofficials to Austin, TX and Eugene, OR, Thompson is set to begin his senior year with those two schools on his mind. Thompson brought a good chunk of his family to Austin in late June for his unofficial, and is looking at using one of his two remaining official trips back to the Forty Acres. Alabama and Clemson could also receive the final two OV’s, which would mean two unofficial weekends for Texas. It's still looking like a fall decision for one of the fastest four-stars in the nation, and Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks are all in on this recruitment.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: If there's one recruit who has been to Austin more than Devon, we want to meet him. OU is a threat, but the five-star offensive lineman maintains UT is a top school and will take his official visit to Austin this fall.

DL/EDGE Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL): The Longhorns made the final three for the 6-foot-2, 255-pound physical and high energy defensive end along with Alabama and Colorado. Two sources have told IT that Nick Saban would accept a commitment from Finkley, but one source doesn’t believe he’s considered one of the in-state prospects Saban feels like he has to win out for. Texas’ chances may be dependent on what Alabama ultimately decides to do.

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: Last week, the four-star edge-backer was set to announce his decision on July 20th. We believe that Baylor had the slight edge if he maintained that schedule. But he changed his announcement date on Thursday. Now, he's ready to declare on July 31st. The important thing here is that UT can now get him back on campus, notably July 30th when the Horns staff will host a handful of priority targets for a BBQ, and potentially close the deal. Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate are working hard to ensure the 6-foot-4, 210-pounder picks the Horns. Right now, it's looking better.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022: The three-star inside 'backer tells IT he's still on track to make his announcement in September, but we get the sense that date will get moved up. Texas has positioned itself well with Patton, and even though he's not a package deal with fellow East Texan Derrick Brown, they talk frequently and IT knows both like the idea of playing together in college. Brown to UT on July 31st would be a nice boost towards General Patton.

CB Denver Harris, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX) - 2022: While IT believes UT is currently in a great position for Harris, IT also believes he’s watching to see how the value of being a Texas football player shakes out when it comes to NIL. He’s most likely to announce in September so Texas has time for NIL to work in its favor, but so do other schools…

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX) - 2022: The uber-versatile four-star has turned his recruitment into a Lone Star showdown. As soon as the dead period is lifted in late July, he'll be back on the road to Austin and College Station on July 30 and 31st with a decision expected prior to the first game of the season. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is a laid back coach and person by nature, but he is beginning to get more aggressive with Anderson so there is no doubt that Anderson knows he’s badly wanted and badly needed in the program. Texas sees him as a leader in the program similar to a role Roschon Johnson has taken on.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

I had no idea we had such powerful alphas gracing us with their presence on the recruiting thread. I think @closetojumping, @BurntOrange&White, and @Newy25 should let Brandon Harris know in person exactly how much of a "beta" you think he is, I would love to see how that works out for y'all.

What in the actual fuck is wrong with you? You do know this is called Surly Horns, right? Not “Please tell me about your fucking feelings Horns”? 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If Sark destroys everyone going into December and the Longhorns are top 6 ranked going into bowl season, yes I think it will work itself out. I do think that Sark needs to destroy in all the winnable games and win all the toss up games to recruit above the level that Tom Herman was recruiting at. 

If prospects see young players developing and a great culture in interviews it will drastically move the needle for them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If it helps any, I spoke to a buddy who's been all over the country lately watching guys work in the various camps and talking to coaches and parents. Things still look good for Anderson and Campbell. Everything else is completely unknown because, and I know mentioning this originally created some eyerolls and then everything happened and now it's fucking mantra here, Sarkisian isn't coming across as a closer.

Sarkisian super nice and dynamic and recruits and parents like him, but he's not the alpha that other guys are. Yes, that includes the cuckold in College Station. Fisher comes across as a pushy, fast-talking leprechaun but he asks for the deal and works to overcome objections aggressively and makes recruits feel earnestly needed. Sarkisian has attempted to play the "take your time, you'll know when you know, but we'd surely love to have you" maneuver while the competition is clubbing us with "why don't you know? we need you, you'll play early, we win, we put guys in The League, and you'll make your family proud here, so commit today and we'll hold the spot for you and go win titles" approach.

The rest of the staff isn't faring much better or worse. They're likely to be a good to great recruiting staff if they can find their bearings and win a bunch of ball games. 

The support staff? Apparently not good. There may be wholesale changes more sooner than later depending upon how the season goes. Harris needs to go be a beta somewhere else. 

We need to hire Steve Brown to implement his Solutions Based Sales Training.  Problem solved.  There’s definitely way too many betas in this thread today.  

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

What 2 in-state programs have great OL coaches?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting