Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, texifornia said:

Well, he'd be the top commit now, but Devon Campbell is higher rated.

And of course OU is doing better OOS, they have a national sales pitch right now - "want to go to the Playoff at least two of the years you're here and probably block for a Heisman winner?"

Can't really argue with OU's pitch for OL recruits. If you don't mind eating copious amounts of dicks, it's not a bad choice.  

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Four-Star Earnest Greene breaks down June visit to Texas
GREG BIGGINS

Reveal hidden contents

Four-Star Earnest Greene breaks down June visit to Texas
GREG BIGGINS

Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco offensive lineman Earnest Greene spent the last couple of days in June before the dead period checking out Oklahoma and Texas.

Greene is currently rated the No. 59 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite as well as the No. 2 offensive guard in the country. He plays tackle at the high school level but we think he probably slides inside and plays guard once he hits college.

He cut his list of schools to 10 back in May, headlined by Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and USC. He was active in June and visited Ohio State and USC early on and then checked out Texas back on June 25.

"It was cool, I liked it a lot there," Greene said. "I've known coach (Kyle) Flood and coach Sark for a long time now since they were recruiting me at Bama so I'm really comfortable with those guys. Those guys are two of the best in the business at what they do and it was great to sit down and talk with them.

"I loved the campus and the city of Austin too. It was bigger then I expected it to be, it felt a lot like home for me and it was really nice to walk around and get a good feel for the place. I did a workout there with coach Flood too and that went really well and it was fun working with him."

Greene said his favorite part of the visit was talking football and watching film with Kyle Flood, the Horns OL coach. 

"We watched film and talked football for about 45 minutes and I loved that," Greene said. "All the recruiting stuff is fine and all but I really enjoy just talking football and it was great to do that with coach Flood. It was fun to finally talk with those guys in person and connect on that level. 

"I plan to be back for an official visit in the fall. I don't have a date yet but I know I'll be visiting Ohio State for the Oregon game and Georgia and Alabama might get one too. USC is another option in December but I'm still working out all those details right now."

Greene was invited to the All-American Bowl and said he plans to make his commitment out in San Antonio on Jan. 8.

image.thumb.png.ea61d8c16b20e6988407043dbb349ee2.png

Green plays OT in HS, he's a guy that could potentially project to it in College?

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

On Agbo, Roach says he struggled in the spring season and the main person he talks to at Texas is the assistant OL Coach, not Flood.

I'd imagine for a guy whose physique trends to "jiggly", the long offseason was hard on him staying in shape. Wouldn't be surprised if he's fine once he's in a serious weight and nutrition program.

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Can't really argue with OU's pitch for OL recruits. If you don't mind eating copious amounts of dicks, it's not a bad choice.  

It’s always a bad choice. Eating copious amounts of dicks is just another bullet point for why.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

On Agbo, Roach says he struggled in the spring season and the main person he talks to at Texas is the assistant OL Coach, not Flood.

the same Mike Roach that said this at 8 am today? 

With Campbell still high on the Longhorns, the priority should be finding tackle bodies. Malik Agbo will likely make a visit to Austin during the fall 

and said this 7 days ago? 

I exchanged a few messages with Federal Way (Wa.) Todd Beamer offensive tackle Malik Agbo today. The Pacific Northwest big man took official visits to Oklahoma and Miami over the summer, and he'll have three to use in the fall. Agbo speaks regularly with Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood and offensive analyst Jajuan Dulaney. He could be an option at the tackle position if the Longhorns can get him to go through with that visit. Texas had a lot of buzz with Agbo back in the spring and could close if they get him to Austin in the fall.

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Not disagreeing but it's actually interesting that Bill B has been there 8 years and has zero 1st round draft picks

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

He's listed as a G but is pretty tall so maybe we're pitching him on OT. Still not getting my hopes up unless OSU falls out

If the staff view Hutson and Robertson as IOL then it seems like they would be pitching Greene on OT.

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Usually a program rebuild involves much more than, “Hey, find someone to replace one edge rusher who went pro and then find a couple of fast WR/RBs to round out this 7-3 team that should have been 9-1 last year.”

pretty big understatement of just how bad our WR roster is right now. A couple of transfers won't be  enough to paper things over and the selection isn't stellar.

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Fat Ketch changed his Texas pick on Anderson to aggy.  Also put one in for Brennan Thompson to aggy, Harris to Bama', and Bledsoe to Texas.  Looks like he's just drawing schools out of a hat for guys.

Well well well, looks like we've got a Ketch vs. CTJ showdown on our hands

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Fat Ketch changed his Texas pick on Anderson to aggy.  Also put one in for Brennan Thompson to aggy, Harris to Bama', and Bledsoe to Texas.  Looks like he's just drawing schools out of a hat for guys.

Looks to me like he’s playing the game of pick pairings that nobody else is picking so that if one or more hit you can act like you have better info and if they don’t hit you are no worse off from a lack of credibility standpoint. 

So you guys think there is no chance (fat chance, as opposed to Fat Ketch's chance of being right! hah) of Thompson picking Jimbo's pitch for a fast slot to stretch the field? Thompson sees a guy already on campus who he can pattern himself to, and Ainias Smith probably goes pro after this coming season if all goes as expected.

Bryce Anderson seems like UT's to lose, especially since he already has a cousin there; but he probably sees several safeties that got drafted from A&M in the last few years and sees at least one more going after this season (Demani Richardson), so there's a track record, and Elko coaches safeties.

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

So you guys think there is no chance (fat chance, as opposed to Fat Ketch's chance of being right! hah) of Thompson picking Jimbo's pitch for a fast slot to stretch the field? Thompson sees a guy already on campus who he can pattern himself to, and Ainias Smith probably goes pro after this coming season if all goes as expected.

Bryce Anderson seems like UT's to lose, especially since he already has a cousin there; but he probably sees several safeties that got drafted from A&M in the last few years and sees at least one more going after this season (Demani Richardson), so there's a track record, and Elko coaches safeties.

Our 9.95ers (outside of Ketch, who doesn't actually do anything) don't seem to see them as real competitors compared to Clemson and OK State. 

They got absolutely pantsed on Kelvin Banks though, so take it fwiw.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Texas' safety draft record is actually better than A&M's since Jimbo arrived. The last Aggy safeties drafted were ironically coached by...Terry Joseph. Elko has never had a first round safety in his career (no first rounders at any position since 2015). With that said, I'll believe Anderson is leaning UT if/when he publically commits. 

No idea on Brenen. Just hard to imagine WRs picking that offense over ones passing attacks like Sark, Clemson, even Ok St. Smith had 564 yards receiving last year which is solid but not that special in the grand scheme. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I feel like we're a bunch of Frenchie limp-dicks standing on the Maginot Line. Yes sir boys, we've got a winning plan. Let's just sit here and wait for success to come to us. They'll never think to just go through Belgium.

The Maginot Line was fine. The problem was they didn’t want to abandon their allies and extending it into the sea would have been a problem. The Ardennes was a good barrier and did hamper the Germans the problem was the French allies failed, their military leadership failed, and they had something like 20% of their forces on hiatus while the Germans invaded their neighbors. The line held up well and repulsed Italy and the Germans. Those soldiers holed up in it were ordered out to surrender by the French.

The line was supposed to funnel attacks through Belgium which was what happened. The problem was that the attacks caught them off guard, their allies failed spectacularly, and their leadership failed to mobilize their forces. Had they done so, the French could have trapped the Germans in their tight formations in the Ardennes and blasted them to shit with air power.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Texas' safety draft record is actually better than A&M's since Jimbo arrived. The last Aggy safeties drafted were ironically coached by...Terry Joseph. Elko has never had a first round safety in his career (no first rounders at any position since 2015). With that said, I'll believe Anderson is leaning UT if/when he publically commits. 

No idea on Brenen. Just hard to imagine WRs picking that offense over ones passing attacks like Sark, Clemson, even Ok St. Smith had 564 yards receiving last year which is solid but not that special in the grand scheme. 

Counter point, Demas. Oh, wait...

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Counter point, Demas. Oh, wait...

Demas plays a different position. Demas is 6'3", 180lbs.  Thompson is 5'10", 165lbs.

And is supposedly making good progress to have a good season. We shall see.

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Fuck You 1

The Maginot Line was fine. The problem was they didn’t want to abandon their allies and extending it into the sea would have been a problem. The Ardennes was a good barrier and did hamper the Germans the problem was the French allies failed, their military leadership failed, and they had something like 20% of their forces on hiatus while the Germans invaded their neighbors. The line held up well and repulsed Italy and the Germans. Those soldiers holed up in it were ordered out to surrender by the French.

The line was supposed to funnel attacks through Belgium which was what happened. The problem was that the attacks caught them off guard, their allies failed spectacularly, and their leadership failed to mobilize their forces. Had they done so, the French could have trapped the Germans in their tight formations in the Ardennes and blasted them to shit with air power.

I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me.

General George S. Patton
  • Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: Clarifying the offensive line picture, July 30 visit notes

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Clarifying the offensive line picture, July 30 visit notes

Mike Roach

— Texas was left outside of the Top 5 for Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer offensive lineman Malik Agbo today. I mentioned this earlier, but the last time I spoke with Agbo, his tone was different about Texas. He said that his primary means of contact at the time was with assistant offensive line coach JuJuan Dulaney and less with Kyle Flood. It seems as if Texas may have prioritized some other guys with just a few spots left. Devon Campbell is the top priority, but he's an interior body in the future. One year ago, the Texas staff was reluctant to recruit interior bodies, but the previous staff was a lot more rigid about where they saw prospects. While Campbell and Hutson are likely strictly interior guys, Connor Robertson has some versatility to play anywhere from right tackle to left guard. That still leaves Kam Dewberry and Earnest Greene on the board. As Greg Biggins reported yesterday, Texas made a big move with Greene on his visit. Texas sees the west coast big man as someone who can play inside or outside at the next level as well, and the Longhorns are still in on Kam Dewberry. Ohio State probably holds the edge for both at the moment, but numbers could come into play forcing those players to look elsewhere. Several Texas commits are also working on Greene as he becomes the focus out west for Kyle Flood. Neto Umeozulu is another player to keep an eye on. Texas offensive line commits Cole Hutson and Connor Robertson have been reaching out and working on the Allen

— We put together a start to our list for attendees for the July 30 barbecue at Texas. We will continue to add names as they come but a few things stick out to me right away. For one, Texas is getting a couple of important 2022 recruits back on campus. Kam Dewberry and Harold Perkins both stick out as guys the Longhorns want more time with. While both will likely also hit College Station for Texas A&M's event, getting them back in front of the coaches can only help. The other thing that sticks out is some of the high-end talent in the 2023 class including Johntay Cook, Rueben Owens, Anthony Hill and Vernon Glover. We are continuing to reach out to prospects and expect to add more names to the list, but that's already a strong group. The return of Owens to Austin for the first time since the five-star running back decommitted shouldn't be overlooked either. Texas never stopped working from the moment he defected, and the family still holds the Longhorns in high regard. The staff tried to execute these pool parties during the official visit and camp schedule during June. While there was generally strong feedback, there was a feeling by some prospects that too much was going on. I'll be interested to see if the staff makes some sort of adjustment based off of what they learned in June.

— In the past two weeks I've written a lot about east Texas defenders Derrick Brown and Jeremy Patton. It's also notable that both are scheduled to be back in Austin for this event. A week ago, the Texas lead for Brown seemed to be dwindling and trending more toward Baylor than anyone cared for. It's been over a month since Brown had been to Austin and only a few weeks since he was in Waco. Getting a kid like him to put off his decision, which was supposed to come before the 30th, was huge for Texas and it already seems to be paying dividends. Right now, the word around Brown seems to be swinging back to much more pro-Texas at the moment. We've seen multiple times in his recruitment that the winds can change swiftly, but there's a feeling Texas can close the deal on this trip. The same can be said for Patton. It seems the recruiting process is starting to wear on him a little bit which caused him to move his decision forward. While Michigan sources have made some noise about the Wolverines feeling positive, it would shock me to see Patton leave Tenaha for Ann Arbor over Austin. Provided Patton makes it to Austin on the 30th, I expect Jeff Choate to be in closer mode.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nivek said:

B7372043-F781-47BD-B9A1-338F8F2CDE9A.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Texas has had three safeties drafted in four years. Who knows who Anderson will pick but if that’s the line of reasoning to get him to aggy that’s not particularly compelling.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting