Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Couple recruiting questions. Are we still allowed to talk recruiting here?

So per Roach, the plan at OT is to move Robertson to tackle (OK...), Dewberry (not coming here), Greene (OOS national recruit, some see him as a guard anyway), and Neto (not coming here). That....can't be the plan, can it? I hope to god that's just Roach not knowing anything and that's not our actual plan.

I need someone to explain wtf is going on with Brown. Our $9.95ers were unanimous that Texas was the pick for a long time, then holy shit all of the sudden he's going to commit to Baylor, then he pushed his date back, now they're telling us Texas is looking good again. Is whoever he spoke to last on the phone at any given time the leader? If this is playing out like they're telling us (giant "if"), holding on to him until signing day is going to be a real adventure. He's going to see an aggy bumper stick in front of him at a stop light and decide that's where he wants to go.

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Chances the advocates in their respective households are the sources that led IT to be way too optimistic about Texas' chances with them in the first place?

Chances are high. Still a good thing to have, though, especially if Sark can reel off a good year. 

Just now, tokamak said:

So per Roach, the plan at OT is to move Robertson to tackle (OK...), Dewberry (not coming here), Greene (OOS national recruit, some see him as a guard anyway), and Neto (not coming here). That....can't be the plan, can it? I hope to god that's just Roach not knowing anything and that's not our actual plan.

I need someone to explain wtf is going on with Brown. Our $9.95ers were unanimous that Texas was the pick for a long time, then holy shit all of the sudden he's going to commit to Baylor, then he pushed his date back, now they're telling us Texas is looking good again. Is whoever he spoke to last on the phone at any given time the leader? If this is playing out like they're telling us (giant "if"), holding on to him until signing day is going to be a real adventure. He's going to see an aggy bumper stick in front of him at a stop light and decide that's where he wants to go.

I'm not conditioned for this type of question

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Roach knows less than Inside Texas.......

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

• That is what we know of "the plan"
  • Even before Brown's visit he was described as an impressionable kid who could commit after the visit weekend. He didn't, but was reportedly high on Texas. Then he visited Baylor and true to form, left that visit high on Baylor. The thought is that if we get the last visit before committing, he'll likely commit to us but it leaves the door open for in-season visits triggering a flip. 
  • Hook 'Em 2

Super K

Spoiler

I know it’s not lost on any of you all that, as of late, Texas hasn’t been hitting home runs on the recruiting front.

I’m sure there are a variety of reasons but I wanted to offer up three particular issues I think may be weighing on Texas a bit.

***The turn over at Texas had dulled the pitch. This really isn’t on Sark, at all. Texas has just had so many coaching changes in such a short period of time that a lot of these kids are old enough to remember that Charlie was supposed to bring Texas back to the promised land. Then, Herman was going to change things.

So, Sark isn’t getting the benefit of the doubt the way Charlie and Herman did.

Players continue to say that they want to see the product on the field. To add to that, what’s going to be expected of Sark in his first year is probably more than what Herman was expected to deliver.

***Another issue outside of Sark’s hands that I think is impacting recruiting is Covid.

I didn’t initially think much about the Covid effect. But something that reminded me of how difficult it can be to recruit as a new coach let alone a new coach in unprecedented circumstances, was Demarco Murray’s sudden change in fortune at OU.

Murray was hired at OU just before Covid. In his first class, Murray, a former star NFL player, OU alum recruiting for a program that produces a number of backs landed exactly zero running backs in his first class. Zero.

Fast forward one year and he has two top five running backs committed (Raleek Brown and Gavin Sawchuk) and is in a pretty good spot Jovantae Barnes.

Again, it’s tough sledding coming into a new program and building new relationships. But, when you can’t even visit the players or have them visit you until months into your arrival, it makes it that much more difficult.

***The final issue is one I think Sark can and will control. I think Sark is missing a couple of key pieces on his staff.

He has great coaches on the staff. But sometimes you need one or two true recruiting guys that can bring it all together.

In my estimation, Sark will need one staff replacement. He will need a guy like a Rashaad Samples type who is both a coach and an elite recruiter who can leverage relationships.

I also believe he will need to add a top recruiter to his front office. I get the sense he needs a narrator of sorts – someone who can tie the Texas message together, hold a room of parents and recruits and make coaches look great.

Herman had Carrington for that and I have to admit, as much I knew Carrington was a great asset, I didn’t realize just how vital he was. My suspicion is that Sark didn’t realize it either.

So, again I think Sark will need to add a front office guy. Those two simple additions can make all the difference.

Having said all of the above, as you know, winning cures all. But if Texas has more of an eight or nine win season, I think you’ll see the third issue remedied. The first two will work themselves out.

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Man, we are on this website because the 9.95ers are full of shit and 17 year olds are idiots. I wouldn’t take stock in Roach’s plan. Read the fan fiction that is graciously posted here and then tweet at the recruits if you have any questions.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

He has great coaches on the staff. But sometimes you need one or two true recruiting guys that can bring it all together.

In my estimation, Sark will need one staff replacement. He will need a guy like a Rashaad Samples type who is both a coach and an elite recruiter who can leverage relationships.

I also believe he will need to add a top recruiter to his front office. I get the sense he needs a narrator of sorts – someone who can tie the Texas message together, hold a room of parents and recruits and make coaches look great.

Well no shit

39 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K

Hide contents

a lot of these kids are old enough to remember that Charlie was supposed to bring Texas back to the promised land. Then, Herman was going to change things.

Oh "a lot of these kids are old enough to remember".  Very interesting.  Guess we should go after the seniors who aren't old enough to remember.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Per Nahlin

Something else to tuck in the back of your mind: Texas will continue to recruit recent misses Terrance Brooks (Little Elm) and Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek). The main reason, you know, beyond their talent, is UT feels strongly it has advocates for the program within the corresponding households.

Not sure if it’s just me but when I hear a 9.95 using words like tuck the first thing that comes to mind is...the silence of the lambs GIF

Edited by stork642

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This entire Super K post is excuse making horseshit.

Yep, but I have a minority opinion. I see Oregon and A&M offering crazy money. Likeness + 80K trumps likeness. We would have zero issues with recruiting if we got the two linemen. 

20 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Spiegelman picking Aggie for Anderson

Did he give a reason why?

It does feel like this one has been leaning Aggy since his visit there. He may be this year's annual "heavy Texas lean who visits them and magically goes Aggy."  Most 9.95ers don't seem to be predicting either way anymore though so seems like he's got everyone guessing. 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Super K

Hide contents

I know it’s not lost on any of you all that, as of late, Texas hasn’t been hitting home runs on the recruiting front.

I’m sure there are a variety of reasons but I wanted to offer up three particular issues I think may be weighing on Texas a bit.

***The turn over at Texas had dulled the pitch. This really isn’t on Sark, at all. Texas has just had so many coaching changes in such a short period of time that a lot of these kids are old enough to remember that Charlie was supposed to bring Texas back to the promised land. Then, Herman was going to change things.

So, Sark isn’t getting the benefit of the doubt the way Charlie and Herman did.

Players continue to say that they want to see the product on the field. To add to that, what’s going to be expected of Sark in his first year is probably more than what Herman was expected to deliver.

***Another issue outside of Sark’s hands that I think is impacting recruiting is Covid.

I didn’t initially think much about the Covid effect. But something that reminded me of how difficult it can be to recruit as a new coach let alone a new coach in unprecedented circumstances, was Demarco Murray’s sudden change in fortune at OU.

Murray was hired at OU just before Covid. In his first class, Murray, a former star NFL player, OU alum recruiting for a program that produces a number of backs landed exactly zero running backs in his first class. Zero.

Fast forward one year and he has two top five running backs committed (Raleek Brown and Gavin Sawchuk) and is in a pretty good spot Jovantae Barnes.

Again, it’s tough sledding coming into a new program and building new relationships. But, when you can’t even visit the players or have them visit you until months into your arrival, it makes it that much more difficult.

***The final issue is one I think Sark can and will control. I think Sark is missing a couple of key pieces on his staff.

Herman had Carrington for that and I have to admit, as much I knew Carrington was a great asset, I didn’t realize just how vital he was. My suspicion is that Sark didn’t realize it either.

So, again I think Sark will need to add a front office guy. Those two simple additions can make all the difference.

Having said all of the above, as you know, winning cures all. But if Texas has more of an eight or nine win season, I think you’ll see the third issue remedied. The first two will work themselves out.

Both Carrington and Samples should have been at Texas as long as they wanted. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Carrington wanted a clear path to an on-field role. Sarkisian thought he was going to be able to bring in his bag guy and build infrastructure, and they didn't know how much they valued Carrington. They gave him an offer to stay anyway and he wanted to leave. He also quit on his fucking job and did Texas no favors during the transition. So, in any event, he can go fuck himself for the time being.

This reads as Sark is unable to implement what is necessary to compete with programs that land top players that may have a sudden “change of heart” and choose Aggy, Oregon, Georgia, etc after a visit to those schools and a meet with the built in bag man. 

Does this change your previous take that we are implementing a type 2 recruiting infrastructure that you described?  

44 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

This reads as Sark is unable to implement what is necessary to compete with programs that land top players that may have a sudden “change of heart” and choose Aggy, Oregon, Georgia, etc after a visit to those schools and a meet with the built in bag man. 

Does this change your previous take that we are implementing a type 2 recruiting infrastructure that you described?  

Not really, but I believe that NIL has changed everyone's thinking overnight. I'm not sure there is a big bag game anywhere by 2024. Those who wish to wave their hands at it haven't asked around or given what we've seen a ton of thought. 

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not really, but I believe that NIL has changed everyone's thinking overnight. I'm not sure there is a big bag game anywhere by 2024. Those who wish to wave their hands at it haven't asked around or given what we've seen a ton of thought. 

Yeah I’ve been thinking and an analogy I came up with is the NBA free agent recruiting season. These guys will be going around on visits and much more will be emphasized about quality of life, endorsement potential, even state income tax rates for these big stars. Of course with smaller figures, but the straight up financial upside of everything can be openly emphasized. 

• Fuck You 1

Gerry

Spoiler

Texas still leads for Anderson
Beaumont West Brook defensive back Bryce Anderson remains scheduled to make one-day visits to Texas July 30 and Texas A&M July 31.

While there is speculation that Texas A&M leads for the 6-foot, 186-pound versatile defender, IT can report that Texas continues to hold the advantage entering the last two unofficial visits. Michael Huff was a gold strike on the official visit for Texas, and Steve Sarkisian has become much more aggressive in his approach with Anderson.

On the Texas A&M side, Jimbo Fisher has got what he wanted with Anderson not announcing a decision early in July. The Aggies want one more big swing at the coveted and popular Golden Triangle prospect.

Notes:
WR Jordan Hudson, Garland High
While the 6-foot-1, 190-pound receiver with exceptional hands and ball skills is currently set to be a future member of the SMU Mustangs, the Texas staff will continue to recruit the five-star prospect. While Jeff Banks is heading up the recruitment, receivers coach Andre Coleman has a connection with the Hudson family. Hudson’s father, Walter Hudson, played at Kansas State. That has opened the door for Coleman to have additional communication with the family.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gerry
Spoiler

Beaumont West Brook defensive back Bryce Anderson remains scheduled to make one-day visits to Texas July 30 and Texas A&M July 31.
While there is speculation that Texas A&M leads for the 6-foot, 186-pound versatile defender, IT can report that Texas continues to hold the advantage entering the last two unofficial visits. Michael Huff was a gold strike on the official visit for Texas, and Steve Sarkisian has become much more aggressive in his approach with Anderson.
On the Texas A&M side, Jimbo Fisher has got what he wanted with Anderson not announcing a decision early in July. The Aggies want one more big swing at the coveted and popular Golden Triangle prospect.
Notes:
While the 6-foot-1, 190-pound receiver with exceptional hands and ball skills is currently set to be a future member of the SMU Mustangs, the Texas staff will continue to recruit the five-star prospect. While Jeff Banks is heading up the recruitment, receivers coach Andre Coleman has a connection with the Hudson family. Hudson’s father, Walter Hudson, played at Kansas State. That has opened the door for Coleman to have additional communication with the family.

Anderson to aggy it is then
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Gerry

Hide contents

Notes:

Clowning on Nahlin and Wells is always fun but Gerry is good and he needs a W before he's left with zero credibility this cycle. Sure would be nice if that win coincides with winning out for Anderson. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Clowning on Nahlin and Wells is always fun but Gerry is good and he needs a W before he's left with zero credibility this cycle. Sure would be nice if that win coincides with winning out for Anderson. 

Your odds are better going out with South Austin's mom.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure. I joke about case mccoy buttfucking aggy with his derp and his rtf internship too. Real life is the greatest comedy. 

If he’s not joking, it really makes me wonder about his handle…NTTAWWT.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting