Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

9 minutes ago, elguapo said:

It would be interesting to read some examples of NIL stuff that has been shot down.

They're not letting players use the color burnt orange for NIL related shit. That's me knowing first hand, so if someone wishes to dispute the take, have at it, but I'm not passing it on from somewhere else.

There is good news on that front and some others coming soon, but since you asked, yeah, the dumbest fucking compliance claim ever is that a color, without the accompanying design or logo, is not in compliance when used by a current player. You can't trademark a fucking color solely.

Meanwhile, Michigan, one of the few literal peers to UT in the game of Patrician Piety and Institutional Virtue Signaling in College Athletics, has player names being printed on the backs of their jerseys and putting them on sale at the campus bookstore with players getting a cut of any sales. That is the original beef and example of NIL value from the original Ed O'Bannon complaint, if memory serves.

So Del Conte has proactively taken a heaving fucking dump on the singular easiest finding of value within the new NIL world. That shit takes effort to fuck up. It's like fucking up a wet dream or a soup sandwich or a hot woman hitting on you. 

Sorry to drop that here for you guys that need to see Crystal Conte as something other than a gladhanding fundraiser when it comes to the revenue sports.

• Hook 'Em 6

I shouldn’t be surprised. It’s how it’s always been, but I really thought they’d actually use this as a way to compete with all the dirty programs. Instead, we’ve made it just one more avenue for falling behind. 

Compliance is shooting down contracts, our AD is doing nothing to help broker deals or setup ways for boosters to get involved, and the school refuses to let players use any Texas IP, including the color burnt orange. Jerseys sales was one of the primary legitimate pushes for NIL and we refuse to do it for no good reason. Unfucking real. 
So that Friday beers thing with Cade Brewer wearing his jersey is fake?

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're not letting players use the color burnt orange for NIL related shit. That's me knowing first hand, so if someone wishes to dispute the take, have at it, but I'm not passing it on from somewhere else.

There is good news on that front and some others coming soon, but since you asked, yeah, the dumbest fucking compliance claim ever is that a color, without the accompanying design or logo, is not in compliance when used by a current player. You can't trademark a fucking color solely.

Meanwhile, Michigan, one of the few literal peers to UT in the game of Patrician Piety and Institutional Virtue Signaling in College Athletics, has player names being printed on the backs of their jerseys and putting them on sale at the campus bookstore with players getting a cut of any sales. That is the original beef and example of NIL value from the original Ed O'Bannon complaint, if memory serves.

So Del Conte has proactively taken a heaving fucking dump on the singular easiest finding of value within the new NIL world. That shit takes effort to fuck up. It's like fucking up a wet dream or a soup sandwich or a hot woman hitting on you. 

Sorry to drop that here for you guys that need to see Crystal Conte as something other than a gladhanding fundraiser when it comes to the revenue sports.

Not letting players use burnt orange for NIL has to be one of the most ridiculous shoot yourself in the dick examples of a "smart" guy outsmarting himself that I've ever read about.

• Hook 'Em 5

Updated 247 2022. Looks mostly good to me, other than Caleb Burton being way too high, and Neto too low

1) Quinn Ewers- Ohio State
9) Evan Stewart
10) Caleb Burton- Ohio State
13) Omari Abor
17) Harold Perkins
23) Denver Harris
25) Devon Campbell
33) Malick Sylla- A&M
35) Kelvin Banks- Oregon
37) Cade Klubnik- Clemson
38) Conner Weigman- A&M
40) Jaydon Blue- Texas
43) PJ Williams- A&M
65) Bryce Anderson
66) Terrance Brooks- Ohio State
80) Bear Alexander
89) Jaylon Guilbeau- Texas
91) Bryan Allen Jr- Texas

93) Donovan Green- A&M
102) Hunter Erb- A&M
103) Jamarion Miller- Texas
106) Chris Marshall
111) Chace Biddle- SMU
117) Julian Humphrey- Florida
126) Kobie McKinzie- DJ Allen
139) DJ Allen
141) Brenen Thompson
150) Bobby Taylor- A&M
163) Austin Jordan- Texas
170) Jaylen Early
175) Tavorus Jones- Missouri
182) Jordan Hudson- SMU
195) Matthew Golden- TCU
198) Nick Evers- Florida
202) Armani Winfield- Texas
221) Neto Umeozulu
226) Kam Dewberry
234) Jadarian Price- Notre Dame
240) Cristian Driver

20) Kevin Coleman
68) Earnest Greene
73) CJ Williams
78) Jaleel Skinner
101) Shazz Preston
118) Justice Finkley
154) Sebastian Cheeks
172) Maalik Murphy- Texas
183) Larry Turner-Gooden- Arizona State

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In the meantime, I don't mind Sarkisian's bet on the development side with his on-field staff and players, given what he started with and the limited time he's had to do anything. 

Herman's start felt like the opposite. Weak staff but great initial recruiting push. That can fade quickly during the week to week grind of the season. Happy to see Sark's staff try and maximize what they already have and out scheme during the season.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The color thing is dumb af... they literally provide the exact color and much more in the brand book. Helped a friend order a new tailgating tent (not from UT) two weeks ago with the correct burnt orange. We used the color codes for shirts in college, also not directly from UT. So if compliance is getting antsy about players using it for NIL deals, that's a big yikes

My take based on my personal/professional experience with compliance/regulatory boards is that there are two types of people: One that understands the purpose of the rules they enforce and work with you in a collaborative effort to find solutions that both enable your work and protect vulnerable populations; and a second type that just reads their rulebook and slows everything down to no one's benefit, except their own as they create needless work to justify their existence. Based on the perception of our AD we've probably got a lot more of the second type than the first

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not talking about Becton in terms of S&C per se - I'm talking about his impact on recruiting. This entire conversation was specific to the original point that a position coach (Sark and Flood) should be able to point to the NFL draft and say we developed X and make it rain on the recruiting trail. I pointed out that the current messaging is that Texas trying to counter the messaging from everyone that Texas was doing more of the same. Hiring Becton was more of the same, which in turn is not a boon to recruiting. I don't think anything there is shocking. 
As a S&C coach he's a good coach - he's a good S&C that is getting his team in game shape. Like I said though "No one is choosing OU because of Bennie Wylie and no one is choosing Texas because of Becton."
There are S&C coaches that do make a recruiting impact and combatting the "more of the same" messaging by hiring one (or multiple) of those coaches away from their current role and into the role at Texas would've helped recruiting as well as perhaps maximizing performance and bringing in new ideas and techniques.  I don't even think that's a controversial opinion.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm searching my memory banks for any recollection of recruits being asked by interviewers "so what made you decide on X school?" And them mentioning anything beyond the school itself, HC, position corch or sometimes the entire coaching staff. Not saying it's never a factor and doesnt happen, but I need some examples of S&C coaches who could literally make the difference in a recruit choosing one school over another with all other things being relatively equal..

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The color thing is dumb af... they literally provide the exact color and much more in the brand book. Helped a friend order a new tailgating tent (not from UT) two weeks ago with the correct burnt orange. We used the color codes for shirts in college, also not directly from UT. So if compliance is getting antsy about players using it for NIL deals, that's a big yikes

My take based on my personal/professional experience with compliance/regulatory boards is that there are two types of people: One that understands the purpose of the rules they enforce and work with you in a collaborative effort to find solutions that both enable your work and protect vulnerable populations; and a second type that just reads their rulebook and slows everything down to no one's benefit, except their own as they create needless work to justify their existence. Based on the perception of our AD we've probably got a lot more of the second type than the first

Problem for Texas is, they don't even realize there is an issue, much less having a clue how to fix it. Everything there is designed to protect the snapshot of what they think is a just world with their revenue nest egg firmly secured, never realizing that a snapshot is ephemeral and the world can pass you by while trying to preserve that point of view.

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When I was a student, most student organizations were not allowed to make burnt orange shirts for their groups. And you’d have a hard time finding a t-shirt maker in Austin willing to print you a shirt in that color without permission from UT.

Im sure some groups found work-arounds, but they made it as difficult as possible. This sounds like more of the same to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Winning games will go a long way to reversing the narrative, but not all the way.

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

The only thing that matters is if Steve sarkisian wins football games. The equation is so simple. 

Win games = get croots

I used to believe that but now I don’t. For the same reason that current schools that cheat heavily get great players and thus achieve more on the field, the NIL compensation will matter as much if not more than just wins on the field. Winning immediately helps the NIL compensation a bit, but the reality is that the administrations that bust their ass to figure out how to get their players compensation from companies other than the Universoty are he ones that will get the best players. College football is a business for the players now, not a passion of wins and losses. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Problem for Texas is, they don't even realize there is an issue, much less having a clue how to fix it. Everything there is designed to protect the snapshot of what they think is a just world with their revenue nest egg firmly secured, never realizing that a snapshot is ephemeral and the world can pass you by while trying to preserve that point of view.

Youd think they'd have learned that lesson with Mack Brown's 20 year old locker rooms. But alas. Old people don't learn. 

21 minutes ago, immamac said:

The only thing that matters is if Steve sarkisian wins football games. The equation is so simple. 

Win games = get croots

Great in theory until the NIL changes now all that matters is winning and getting your players paid through NIL. So far we are failing at the latter and the former is TBD

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yep.  Like when Blockbuster Video thought Netflix was a flash in the pan.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

We are currently on surlyhorns and not shaggybevo. We should have seen it coming. 

That poor carwash at the corner of 183A and 1431.  Then there was that Bevo's restaurant on I-35 that had to change to "Besos."  

The one that still makes me laugh though, is the revenue we get from all the "Saw 'em off" t-shirts.

Just now, Scholz said:

Yep.  Like when Blockbuster Video thought Netflix was a flash in the pan.

Or everyone thinking Netflix was dead because RedBox while they quietly transitioned from a mail in service to the digital streaming innovator. After a modest climb, netflix fell down to $9 a share in 2012ish. Whats it at now, well over $500? Meanwhile Crystal Conte is telling people to invest in AMC because by golly that's how we've always done it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

We are currently on surlyhorns and not shaggybevo. We should have seen it coming. 

Exactly.  This AD and University have gone out of their way to abusively attempt to pistol whip very tiny entities who they believed were in the same ballpark related to their IP claims.  Thinking that same group of overpaid assholes and their overpaid lawyers are going to work diligently to maximize the NIL benefits for the team's players felt like a bit of a stretch. 

I don't understand with all the bloated AD salaries that multiple people weren't tasked already with having a world class NIL program up and running months ago. 

So we've established there's a problem with NIL. Not much most of us here can do around UT being asses around the color/logo/compliance. But anyone can still help with the broader NIL impact so what are you whiny bitches gonna do about it? We've got a whole separate forum for NIL ideas and it's basically a ghost town.

Not letting players use burnt orange for NIL has to be one of the most ridiculous shoot yourself in the dick examples of a "smart" guy outsmarting himself that I've ever read about.

Counterpoint: our AD has never shown that they’re actually aware of what “burnt orange” is, so this shouldn’t really be an issue

Just now, Tex-19 said:

So we've established there's a problem with NIL. Not much most of us here can do around UT being asses around the color/logo/compliance. But anyone can still help with the broader NIL impact so what are you whiny bitches gonna do about it? We've got a whole separate forum for NIL ideas and it's basically a ghost town.

Because imma has a holier than thou it's not about paying the players just to pay them stigma?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The coaching staff is good. We can get to Notre Dame levels based on that and our baseline recruiting pitch.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/tracking-notre-dame-athletes-and-their-nil-deals

We literally have Grant Pinkerton which he and our offensive line has yet to strike a deal. Judging from what we're reading I'm going to just assume our athletic department said no.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The color and even logo thing is so dumb and players have even tweeted about it. Are they shooting down deals for other reasons too? Obviously anything related to guns/alcohol/etc which is rare but otherwise I can't even think of other reasons. Unless they're getting into fair market value concerns which would be a trainwreck.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/tracking-notre-dame-athletes-and-their-nil-deals

We literally have Grant Pinkerton and he and our offensive line has yet to strike a deal. Judging from what we're reading I'm going to just assume our athletic department said no.

Honestly, the fact we can't point at Michigan and ND and say "at least fucking do that" to make CDC move is a real bummer. Though it sounds like Hartzell is going to make an end run around him.

Wonder how Stanford's players are doing with it? (with the caveat that's a small, not terribly involved fanbase)

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Honestly, the fact we can't point at Michigan and ND and say "at least fucking do that" to make CDC move is a real bummer. Though it sounds like Hartzell is going to make an end run around him.

Wonder how Stanford's players are doing with it? (with the caveat that's a small, not terribly involved fanbase)

Brings up another good point.....how many fucking times is Hartzell going to have to step in and save CDC's ass? @SydneyCarton @closetojumping this shit is a beating with him.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Brings up another good point.....how many fucking times is Hartzell going to have to step in and save CDC's ass? @SydneyCarton @closetojumping this shit is a beating with him.

Well, at the very least one more time now. Probably many others until someone makes this aspect of our program irrelevant from the systemic failures of our AD. Lets not forget the "rumor" is that Meyer declined to come here because he wanted his own AD and didn't want Del Conte as his boss.

Just be happy we have Hartzell. I am. 

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or everyone thinking Netflix was dead because RedBox while they quietly transitioned from a mail in service to the digital streaming innovator. After a modest climb, netflix fell down to $9 a share in 2012ish. Whats it at now, well over $500? Meanwhile Crystal Conte is telling people to invest in AMC because by golly that's how we've always done it!

CDC has 💎🤲 ?

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting