Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

31 minutes ago, ousux said:

Except for the fact we may not land in the SEC soon enough for those guys to actually play in the SEC for more than a year, maybe 2...assuming this really happens. I mean, next season is possible..but lots of hurdles and roadblocks to tend to before that can even be seriously discussed. Maybe CDC and Hartzell have been working on this for a while and already jumped and removed some of those? Idk..

There's not a snowball's chance in South Austin's mom's puss of us hanging around in a dead-ass conference for four years. These guys will get a minimum three years in the SEC if this shit goes down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Uh, Bucko, buddy ole pal, why exactly would they need to redshirt in order to play 2-3 years in the SEC? 

Iff Texas started football in the SEC in 2023, It's still possible a 2022 kid never plays a down in the Big 12, and only the SEC. Obviously they wouldn't need to redshirt in order to play 2-3 years in the SEC. I guess I didn't need to use "redshirt," but whatever.

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

What am I missing here from UT's perspective?

He's a ridiculously fast, underrated player from Texas getting a pretty big offer. I think Tex is just interested that he's starting to earn those big offers. He's a guy I personally would love to take as an ATH and just find a spot for him. You can't teach that speed but you can teach him to run routes and catch, or it's nice to have another backup option at RB.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

I mean I wouldn't really expect us to be on the call where the other schools gameplan what to do about us possibly leaving. Not sure that means too much.

Well we were invited and felt a call about the Big XII's future wasn't relevant to our (and OU's) interests

• Hook 'Em 4

Spoiler

Kenyon Green was destined to become a five-star prospect. He was a 6-foot-5, 320-pound offensive lineman with athleticism that jumped off the charts. And before the offers started pouring in early in his high school career, Green made up his mind about one thing: He wanted to play in the SEC.

To Green, and to many of the prospects coming through the recruiting ranks now, the SEC is the dominant conference. It’s the place where their talents are going to shine, where the competition is going to be the toughest and where they’re most likely to develop into high NFL draft picks.

That’s why Green, a class of 2019 signee out of Humble (Texas) Atascocita, is an Aggie. That’s also why Green initially committed to LSU as a high school underclassman. It was always going to be the SEC.

“If Texas A&M wasn’t in the SEC, he would probably be at LSU right now,” Green’s father, Henry, told The Athletic. “Our perception of the SEC was always that it is one step down from the NFL. It prepares you for the NFL game. It is the highest conference out there. Day in and day out, you’re going against some savages. … It was a major factor for us. The closest SEC team to us is Texas A&M. He didn’t have to leave the state to represent Texas and the SEC.

“As they say: Texas bred, Texas fed.”

So it’s no surprise that Texas A&M wasn’t thrilled when news broke Wednesday that Texas and Oklahoma have reportedly expressed interest in joining the SEC. Texas A&M does not want Texas in its conference. The SEC is a huge selling point for the Aggies on the recruiting trail, and it has paid dividends — most notably in the past few years.

In Texas A&M’s final 10 seasons in the Big 12, from 2002 through 2011, its average finish in the recruiting rankings was 20.4, and it signed only one top-10 class and zero top-five classes. In the 10 seasons since the Aggies joined the SEC, they have finished with an average ranking of 10.7 and signed five top-10 classes and two top-five classes. That’s a considerable improvement.

Meanwhile, Texas’ average ranking from 2002 through 2011 was 6.0, and it signed nine top-10 classes and four top-five classes. Since Texas A&M joined the SEC, the Longhorns’ class average has dropped to 10.7, with six top-10 classes and three top-five classes.

There are other factors that have contributed to these numbers. Hiring Jimbo Fisher, a national championship-winning coach, was a game changer for Texas A&M. And it’s not as though Texas has struggled to recruit — the Longhorns did sign top-five classes in 2018 and 2019 under former coach Tom Herman — but it’s clear that the Aggies have benefitted immensely from the move to the SEC.

But despite being in the nation’s top conference, A&M is still perceived by many to be the No. 2 program in the state. Aggies fans resent the thought that Texas has the first pick of the state’s most elite-level prospects. Maybe that is engrained in everyone’s brain given the history of the two programs.

And with the battle for talent in the state becoming even more competitive in recent years — take a look at what Alabama, Ohio State and LSU have been doing in the Lone Star State — the last thing Texas A&M would want is for Texas to join the SEC.

Consider this from a high school coach from the Houston area on A&M’s advantage of being the only SEC school in the state: “It’s huge, and I think that’s why A&M has swung the pendulum, because of the perceived power of the SEC. Who wouldn’t want to play in the SEC?”

Or this from a coach from the Dallas-Fort Worth area: “The common belief is that the SEC is the best conference. That pulls a lot of weight with kids. Every kid that is getting recruited to play college football, they all think they’re gonna play professional football. So playing in the conference that puts the most kids in the NFL every year means something.”

Look at the recruiting classes Texas A&M has assembled in the past two years. The Aggies finished No. 8 overall in 2021, headlined by six prospects from the state of Texas who ranked in the top 150 nationally in the 247Sports Composite. In the 2022 class, the Aggies have a commitment from five-star quarterback Conner Weigman of Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland.

“There’s nothing not to love about A&M,” Weigman said. “It’s in the SEC, it’s football, it’s baseball, it’s coach (Jimbo) Fisher, who produces so many good quarterbacks. And it’s close to home.”

Notice what Weigman said first. The SEC. That’s a main selling point of Texas A&M.

If you’re a high school star in Texas and you want to represent your home state while also playing in the SEC, you go to A&M. That’s what Green did. And that’s what Weigman will be doing.

There’s no way the Aggies want Texas to be able to say the same thing about its program.

SIAP

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Fud said:

Suchomel says that Harris is visiting A&M this weekend and doesn't have plays yet to visit Texas, which is contrary to what was previously reported by others 

Edit: next weekend, not this. I'm a potato 

The poster claiming to be a North Shore insider 

“Contrary to orangebloods. Harris will be in Austin for bbq.”

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

A&M has invested so much time and energy crafting the SEC narrative, it's pretty hilarious how quickly that could blow up in their faces.

@DrPepper Will you please explain to us how Texas A&M is a better coaching job for Jimbo Fisher than LSU still? And, if you have time, how you will sustain recruiting success without your unique affiliation in a probable regime change? You’d be lucky if that happened quickly and could promote Elko. Buuuuuuut……would he stay to watch you slide back to Miss St again? Would he?

49 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

@DrPepper Will you please explain to us how Texas A&M is a better coaching job for Jimbo Fisher than LSU still? And, if you have time, how you will sustain recruiting success without your unique affiliation in a probable regime change? You’d be lucky if that happened quickly and could promote Elko. Buuuuuuut……would he stay to watch you slide back to Miss St again? Would he?

Why is Jimbo to LSU automatic on Surly? The guy can sit on his ass and watch Netflix all day and still collect $7.5 million a year. At LSU, he'd actually have to win for that sort of scratch. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Why is Jimbo to LSU automatic on Surly? The guy can sit on his ass and watch young college athletes butt fuck his wife all day and still collect $7.5 million a year. At LSU, he'd actually have to win for that sort of scratch. 

FTFY

• Haha 7

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Why is Jimbo to LSU automatic on Surly? The guy can sit on his ass and watch Netflix all day and still collect $7.5 million a year. At LSU, he'd actually have to win for that sort of scratch. 

There are personal connections that I can’t speak to directly. He coordinated there for 6 years. They can cherry pick their state’a talent with no major competitors with Louisiana in the name. He can make the same amount of guaranteed money in the same amount of time. It’s easier to win at LSU. It’s not college station. What else do you want?

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

There are personal connections that I can’t speak to directly. He coordinated there for 6 years. They can cherry pick their state’a talent with no major competitors with Louisiana in the name. He can make the same amount of guaranteed money in the same amount of time. It’s easier to win at LSU. It’s not college station. What else do you want?

Agreed on all points. If he's a competitor, he should want that. But again, if he wants to cash checks, Aggy is the spot. 

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Basically it’s easier to win at LSU than A&M 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Mogadishu > Baton Rouge > College Station

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s probably going to be Napier there if Orgeron doesn’t win and Napier doesn’t shit his pants this year 

• Hook 'Em 1

Prior to this news, I was 50/50 on if he’d go when the ogre gets canned. Now, I’m at 90/10.

I think he’ll get the call after this season. Win win for LSU…..get a coach they like and has won before while killing aggy dreams.

I mean I wouldn't really expect us to be on the call where the other schools gameplan what to do about us possibly leaving. Not sure that means too much.
It means everything. If there were no fire under the smoke there would be no good reason for the top 2 schools in the conference to ditch that call.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting