Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Fun fact. OU hasn't had a single 1st round OL since Bill B / Lincoln arrived

Name the year and player last taken in the first round at OL for OU. Now do it for Texas. 

Funnily enough, the same exercise is a null set for Clemson. Never had a first round OL pick. Crazy, really. Closest they've come is with the OG in this last draft going in the middle of the second. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Name the year and player last taken in the first round at OL for OU. Now do it for Texas. 

Funnily enough, the same exercise is a null set for Clemson. Never had a first round OL pick. Crazy, really. Closest they've come is with the OG in this last draft going in the middle of the second. 

Pretty crazy. At least we can sell Kyle Flood (2 the last 2 years) but not sure if croots really buy it 

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Pretty crazy. At least we can sell Kyle Flood (2 the last 2 years) but not sure if croots really buy it 

That should be easy to sell. Does any person with an IQ above 80 believe that Flood forgot how to develop linemen?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That should be easy to sell. Does any person with an IQ above 80 believe that Flood forgot how to develop linemen?

Key word "should." From the outside it seems like most kids buy into the logo more than the individual coaches. Ex: Aggy is still selling their draft success from the Sumlin era

39 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Hurr durr. Flood's line was great because Nick Saban was the HC. Hurr durr. Whoop!

I don't know much about Flood's coaching history other than he coached at Rutgers and at the Atlanta Falcons. Was he developing and getting lineman drafted at Rutgers? 

I know he is highly thought of and has a great reputation. But, he did have some very high quality talent to work with at Bama which can make you look pretty good.

His and our other offensive coaching staff's rep is our best selling point to OL prospects at this point (oh, and SEC).

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Now, Ohio State had guys go in the first in 2016 and 2018. Not as many other OL picks in the first after Orlando Pace as I would have figured, really. They get a lot of centers drafted though. Send your kid there if he's a fine center recruit.

nope. wisconsin for centers. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Hurr durr. Flood's line was great because Nick Saban was the HC. Hurr durr. Whoop!

you severely underestimate the influence nick saban has on all areas of the program. flood might be fine here, we’ll see. but you’re also an idiot. 

• Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, futureman said:

you severely underestimate the influence nick saban has on all areas of the program. flood might be fine here, we’ll see. but you’re also an idiot. 

So what does he do? I mean you obviously know stuff. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

So what does he do? I mean you obviously know stuff. 

I do know stuff. lots of stuff. thank you for knowing that. 

herb hand would put OL in the first round every year if he coached at bama. saban’s influence and recruiting is what makes that program go.

Edited by futureman
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, futureman said:

herb hand would put OL in the first round every year if he coached at bama. saban’s influence and recruiting is what makes that program go.

So you are  saying if I was Oline coach under Saban I would put same numbers in NFL. 

I am sure you are right. All I have to do under Saban is pick and choose.

• Fuck You 1

Yesterday, multiple high-level University of Texas sources told me that UT Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltfie wants to see the Longhorns in the SEC for the 2022 season.

What about the small matter of the $150 million dollar buyout that Texas and OU have to pay to the Big 12 if they leave before 2025? Well, they made it clear that Eltfie had a plan.

“He believes getting into the league for the 2022 season would help Texas from a recruiting and branding standpoint, and quicken the university’s ascent back to the top of the sport.”

It now looks like that sum could come from the remaining dollars on the Longhorn Network contract that Texas made with ESPN a decade ago, but the sources were clear that the money wasn’t nearly as important to UT brass as getting the program back to the top of the college football landscape.

Since the start of the CFP era, Texas’s recruiting has been all over the map. Tom Herman signed back-to-back top five classes in 2018 and 2019, but the Longhorns have mostly recruited on a level a tier or two below elite since 2014. In a state with as much FBS talent as Texas, that’s unacceptable.

In 2020, UT signed three of the top 10 players in Texas, but half of the top thirteen prospects in the state headed to the SEC. Go back another year to 2019 and you’ll see that only three of the top 20 players in the state decided they wanted to play their college ball in Austin. To make matters worse, hated Texas A&M signed six of the top 13 players in the Lone Star State.

Go look at the top players in Texas in the class of 2021. The #2 player in the state, Ja’Tavion Sanders, went to UT. After him, you have to scroll all the way down to the 26th rated player in the state to find the next player in the class who decided to become a Longhorn. Yes, 2021 featured a staff turnover at Texas and a pandemic, but it’s still jarring to look at. Eleven of the top twenty players in Texas went to SEC schools.

Recruiting at Texas has been inconsistent, and players are leaving to go play at Clemson, Ohio State and the SEC. The power brokers have been growing restless, and the straw that broke the camel’s back may have come in the form of Quinn Ewers.

Ewers is the nation’s #1 prospect for 2022, and he’s the type of quarterback talent that is an absolute necessity if you want to compete for championships in this era of college football. After once being committed to UT, Ewers decommitted from Texas in October of last year. He’s heading north to play his football at Ohio State.

Don’t be mistaken, watching prospects like him play their college ball at places other than Texas is part of the reason why UT no longer sees membership in the Big 12 as a viable option.

My sources at Texas have made one thing very clear this week about Eltfie, and that’s that he is much more than a casual fan. “He follows recruiting like you and me,” said one source

It has been made clear to me many times over the last week that Eltfie knows SEC membership will help the Longhorns on the trail. The quicker the UT staff can pitch future home games against teams like Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida, the better. Oh, and there’s also the small matter of the rivalry with Texas A&M.

The next QB prospect on the level of Quinn Ewers is a guy by the name of Arch Manning. He’s the latest in the line of passers that includes his grandfather Arch and his uncles Peyton and Eli.

He will be the most hyped recruit in the history of college football, and insiders say he’s interested in playing at Texas. The problem is that he’s also interested in continuing the family legacy of playing in the SEC.

Texas would love to sell him on the ability to both play in the Southeastern Conference and for the flagship university of the Lone Star State, which begs a bit of an interesting question. Is a sixteen year-old quarterback in New Orleans and other highly rated prospects like him at least partially responsible for UT’s willingness to shell out $150 million dollars?

By all accounts, Eltfie understands modern college football, and that means he understands what entering the SEC with a Manning under center would mean to the program.

Sure, there’s a lot of other factors that Texas has taken into account as they’ve navigated this move. But make no mistake, Arch Manning, and many other highly rated prospects just like him are watching what Texas is doing… the Longhorns are making sure of it.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I don't understand how anyone with an IQ over 80 thinks draft results are more due to developmental fairy dust and not recruiting the best players to begin with but here we are

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Key word "should." From the outside it seems like most kids buy into the logo more than the individual coaches. Ex: Aggy is still selling their draft success from the Sumlin era

Which can be attributed to Mike Sherman.    

I do know stuff. lots of stuff. thank you for knowing that. 

Bullshit. Matt Luke was obviously the reason that Tunsil was a great player.

Wells

Spoiler

The latest from two out-of-state targets and an in-state D-lineman headed to Austin on Friday, and one 2024 prospect that just visited the Forty Acres. Enjoy the evening news.

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin (Marlin, TX) - 2022: The 6-foot-4, 270-pound four-star and former Bremond prospect continues to have good conversations with the Texas staff. He's wanting to take an unofficial visit to Austin this fall, but has yet to schedule it.

The 2020 first-team all-district selection at running back and defensive lineman as a junior at Bremond holds 13 offers including Texas, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas A&M.

He tripped to Austin on for an official visit on the weekend of June 18th and is keeping close tabs on the Longhorns.

QB Nicholaus Iamaleava, Warren (Downey, CA) - 2023: One of the top junior quarterback prospects in the country will be in Austin on Friday.

At 6-foot-5, 195 pounds, the four-star passer will hit UT for the BBQ/pool party. He holds 18 offers including Oregon, USC, and Georgia, and picked up verbal invitations from Alabama and Ohio State after camp performances in June.

If you were wondering about athleticism, the former Long Beach Poly prospect is now at Downey, and is also a highly-touted volleyball prospect.

He's behind Arch Manning in the staff's eyes, but you always have to have contingencies. This kid can chunk it.

DL Quency Wiggins, Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA) - 2022: The 6-foot-6, 274-pound monster will hit UT on Friday for the BBQ/pool party.

While LSU likely holds all the cards here, he's looking at all his options to make sure he makes the right decision. His Top 5 consists of Alabama, Florida, Texas, and USC, and he had stops in Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, and Baton Rouge last month.

This is an SEC-type take with loads of upside, and getting him away from the Bayou Bengals might be a tall task. Send in Bo Davis.

EDGE Zina Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX) - 2024: The little brother of 2022 offensive line prospect Neto Umeozulu is a dude in his own right.

At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, the edge-backer is one of the more intriguing prospects for 2024. Going into his sophomore season, he already holds four offers including USC, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and UTSA, and recently tripped to the ATX for an unofficial on Monday.

Zina tells IT his visit was good, and despite not receiving an offer, he'll most likely get one over the next season. He's too good for his age and holds incredible upside. Coaches at Allen think he may be the best prospect on the 6A campus.

DL Johnny Bowens, Judson (Converse, TX) - 2023: Another defensive line target will be hitting Texas on Friday.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound two-sport - football and basketball - stud was an early offer and evaluation for the Longhorns after a strong camp performance in June.

He holds five offers including Texas A&M, Baylor, and Louisiana Tech, and seeing Austin is a nice step for Bowens and this staff. He played in various spots on the defensive interior as a sophomore, while helping Converse Judson to a 6A D-II first-round playoff appearance.

1 hour ago, fellside said:

I had a friend who played men's volleyball for Fort Worth Country Day.  Guess it's a thing.

Men's volleyball started back up in SPC in the mid-'80s.

It's big in a lot of countries and there's frequently crossover between volleyball & basketball players.

A good deep dive into (H)Akeem Olajuwon's defensive basketball skills quickly touches on The Dream's volleyball background, in addition to handball & soccer), and how that prepped him for staying primed to jump and then skying at the last minute.

Playing multiple sports can really pay off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Definitely a thing, had a second cousin who played mens volleyball for Pepperdine back in the 80's. Thats back when they regularly beat USC, Pedo State and others. Think these days they're just content being the only school right on Malibu beach.

3 hours ago, ousux said:

Definitely a thing, had a second cousin who played mens volleyball for Pepperdine back in the 80's. Thats back when they regularly beat USC, Pedo State and others. Think these days they're just content being the only school right on Malibu beach.

D6C4C5AB-3FCB-4DEE-BBFF-A376715921BE.gif

11 hours ago, WBT said:

I don't understand how anyone with an IQ over 80 thinks draft results are more due to developmental fairy dust and not recruiting the best players to begin with but here we are

I don't know where you are on the spectrum and you could be anywhere between Aggie and Einstein so I'll spell it out for you. If you are an elite athlete, it doesn't mean that you will succeed. Strength and conditioning coaches can ruin you by getting you injured or not developing your body to your potential. Teams can keep you from developing to your potential by putting you in poor schemes. Schools can keep you from developing by not keeping you in academically, having you play against poor practice and game opponents and by not allowing you to focus on football. Position coaches can keep you from developing by not teaching proper techniques, by not working you hard enough, by working you too hard, by not putting you in position to succeed, by not pushing you in the right direction, by making you dislike the sport, etc.

All the things above are touched upon in the recruiting process. If a coach has been successful at another place he can point to that success and how it translates to the program. So, in summary, a coach and school can't make an elite athlete out of fairy dust but he can sure ruin an elite athlete or keep him from developing to his potential.

Good news from OU 247 on Campbell:

SPOILER: TEXAS LEADS

Oklahoma built a slight surge following the ChampU BBQ when Campbell unofficially visited, but in the aftermath, it sounds like Texas has been able to weather the storm. I still have the Longhorns as the favorite at this time, here's why:

First, it should be known that a lot of the momentum Oklahoma was able to create during the ChampU BBQ could be credited to NFL alum Trent Williams. One of the top offensive tackles in all of football, he exchanged numbers with Campbell during the event in order to keep in touch. I'm told that, while they've been in contact, the two haven't been able to workout a meeting since. That's key as a presence like that must be visible in order for Oklahoma to continue to challenge.

Meanwhile, Texas continues to be held in high regard in the eyes of those around Campbell. Offensive line coach Kyle Flood and the rest of the Longhorns' staff have built the relationships needed in order to be the top contender in this race.

That being said, there is some intrigue out there regarding some of the potential visits Campbell could take in the fall. It's been floated that he may take trips to places LSU or Alabama, but even then, it's been reiterated several times this likely comes down to an OU/Texas battle. I also had one

If that's the case, it's clear to me Oklahoma still has ground to cover. There was some movement made in the summer, but it wasn't enough to challenge Texas' top standing. Therefore, the key will be Oklahoma's ability to get Campbell back on campus in order to further that relationship. The Sooners' staff must continue to prove itself while building various bonds, something that needs to be done in-person. If that can happen, another episode similar to this summer might take place.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting