Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I’m sure jimbo and Saban are doing everything they can to convince these recruits that Texas won’t play in the SEC until 2025. That mixed with giant bags of cash being thrown around and Texas being afraid of its own shadow when it comes to NIL and here we are. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TXRed said:

I’m sure jimbo and Saban are doing everything they can to convince these recruits that Texas won’t play in the SEC until 2025. That mixed with giant bags of cash being thrown around and Texas being afraid of its own shadow when it comes to NIL and here we are. 

Teams that have been paying recruits have used their existing networks to funnel money to players via NIL deals. We're still trying to run any prospective deals through our compliance department. It's not that hard to see the issue.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Teams that have been paying recruits have used their existing networks to funnel money to players via NIL deals. We're still trying to run any prospective deals through our compliance department. It's not that hard to see the issue.

So like basically, fuck the compliance department?!

• Hook 'Em 4

Jesus, the past couple pages were depressing. Completely killed my good mood after reading all the realignment threads. Someone said it best: aggy is going to be handing out cash left and right because they're fucking terrified. They were already doing it and it's only going to get even more egregious. The athletic department REALLY needs to get their shit together on NIL. Like, yesterday. 

We've got an AD that was good for what the Big12 was,  but is in way over his head with what's going on now.  
Doesn't seem to be ahead of or even keeping up with anything NIL related.  

I dealt with him at rice. He was in over his head there. He owes his success to Wayne Graham, Todd Graham and rice having a lucky as shit year with athletes. However, he can absolutely help get you in touch with a great tailor.

Compliance to what? The NCAA has been toothless for a while now, and caratacts are forming over their eyes as we speak. The super SEC will put them down for good in short order, nobody getting sanctioned for anything ever again.

1 hour ago, LarTXHorn said:

Schools should have one, but common sense shows that the NLI is a legalized player payment system.  Compliance just stipulates the player complied with the terms and conditions of the payment, and really, they don't have to know anything.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

It's great that we joined the SEC, but now we actually have to play the game. Takes time. 

Why?  Fucking aggy had a 70 yo bombed out merchant marine whore dropping bags and talking about it on social media without issue.  UTenn dug some McD's bags out the trash and filled them up with cash.  Shit seems pretty easy. Aggy going to buy themselves a championship one way or the other it seems.  

If I have this correct, since the announcement on Wednesday of the move to SEC:

decommitment of Jaylon Guilbeau 

Denver Harris and Perkins decide to skip Austin for college station pool party 

lose locked in silent commit 5 star keyonte in basketball to Baylor

missing anything?

why are our pets heads falling off?

Edited by mantis toboggan

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Quite a few people need to be fired for not being prepared for NIL.  We sat here hyping our program talking about how Texas was going to lead college football with NIL and every fucking school is hammering to recruits that Texas has no idea what it’s doing, which is in fact true.  Other schools are straight up paying players legally now, and not small dollar amounts.  Ohio state is trying to put together 7 figure worth of deals for Quinn Ewers.  Our fucking morons in charge we’re thinking $50 cameo shoutouts and social media branding and clothing lines/merchandise was the the answer.  

Hey you stupid fucks.  Guess what.  Players don’t want to have to do more work on top of practice and schools. Take a look at what Oregon, Bama, aggy, Miami, UGA and other schools are doing.  You need to straight up pay these players.  

Denver Harris has his fucking hand out for a NIL deal and has stated that he doesn’t know where Texas stands on NIL.  Perkins likes our scheme and the city and aggy straight up is paying him not to visit us.  Same with Dewberry.  Kiss Evan Stewart goodbye when Bama/Oregon drops a 100k NFT deal for him.  

Joining the SEC is not going to fix our recruiting problems.  They need to wipe the entire AD for letting this program fall this low.  They need to hire people from SEC programs that know how to get players and recruits paid.  We need to do this ASAP.

Been saying this. And pay them for doing next to nothing outside of what they would already be doing.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

missing anything?

not sec ready   / aggy

47 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Quite a few people need to be fired for not being prepared for NIL.  We sat here hyping our program talking about how Texas was going to lead college football with NIL and every fucking school is hammering to recruits that Texas has no idea what it’s doing, which is in fact true.  Other schools are straight up paying players legally now, and not small dollar amounts.  Ohio state is trying to put together 7 figure worth of deals for Quinn Ewers.  Our fucking morons in charge we’re thinking $50 cameo shoutouts and social media branding and clothing lines/merchandise was the the answer.  

Hey you stupid fucks.  Guess what.  Players don’t want to have to do more work on top of practice and schools. Take a look at what Oregon, Bama, aggy, Miami, UGA and other schools are doing.  You need to straight up pay these players.  

Denver Harris has his fucking hand out for a NIL deal and has stated that he doesn’t know where Texas stands on NIL.  Perkins likes our scheme and the city and aggy straight up is paying him not to visit us.  Same with Dewberry.  Kiss Evan Stewart goodbye when Bama/Oregon drops a 100k NFT deal for him.  

Joining the SEC is not going to fix our recruiting problems.  They need to wipe the entire AD for letting this program fall this low.  They need to hire people from SEC programs that know how to get players and recruits paid.  We need to do this ASAP.

Texas has handled the NIL thing with the same foresight and fluidity exhibited by the late era Dodds regime all the way through Perrin. 

Hartzell and Eltife seem to really get what it takes to be successful in Athletics and have shown they’re willing to get involved with the coaching search and realignment. I don’t trust CDC to fix this, so I think our best hope is that those two stay involved and turn their attention to NIL once the SEC stuff gets finalized. Sticking Plonsky in the basement and never letting her come out would be a good start. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4

52 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

missing anything?

I don't think Sark shed a tear when Guilbeau left.  He will be playing at midnight vs Fresno St or Nevada the next four years of his life.  Good luck with that.

I was pissed about KG.  That decision may have come from Chris Beard vs KG.

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

On top of our NLI fuckups, I imagine atm is going to be throwing around money like drunken sailors for at least a little while to combat us joining the SEC.

Irrelevant in the very near future. If you can get starting players 6 figures annually, the uncles looking for $50k start to become less and less relevant. Anyone arguing otherwise has no fucking clue about open market impacts on dark market behaviors.

Does bootlegging still exist? It sure does. Does it mean a fucking thing to anyone but hillbillies on the far fringes? No.

Do weed dealers in Denver still exist? Probably somehow, but that's not where you're headed when you land at the airport if you want to get weed. They're making more money illegally funneling outside of the open markets than participating within them, which is isn't a surprise.

Are there bookies taking bets for in Vegas for residents of Vegas? The world is a crazy place, so, sure, probably. Who gives a fuck?

There will always be a fringe, but it is going to rapidly disappear. Why does Nick Saban or Jimbo Fisher need to risk shit in a back alley deal when they can press on a donor group to fund appearance fees for a player once he's on campus? Answer is, they don't. Neither does Texas. Will there always be an Albert Means situation? Sure, but that is the exception to be ignored going forward. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

one of the major hold-ups for anything getting done with Texas regarding NIL right now is Chris Plonsky. She's fucking buddies with Ketchum and has even "fed" him information over the years when it suited her. That's why he's gotten shit through when no one else has.

I can imagine the two of them fucking (yeah, yeah. Neither of them are straight). No surprise to me at all.

Now I need to pour Clorox in my ear and see if I can wash that image off my brain.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Nah I get it, I just think there's a weird bootlicking quality that goes along with the model 

I don't see it that way. The $9.95ers are merely a vehicle in the transaction. Someone already suggested it, but we (Surly) should be doing the same.

Perhaps you meant bootlegging?

Edited by Baconboy

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The move to the SEC, as it was coming to a head, took priority above everything at the leadership levels. It sucks, but it's understandable. The current handwringing about NIL here and elsewhere is justified, but this is a temporary issue and remedies across the span of the opportunities for the athletes at UT, for the long term and leveraging competitive advantages few can combat, are being worked on. Ultimately, whatever happens in the 2022 class, should there be casualties, will not be a harbinger for even the near future. 

Remember that this shit, especially during this cycle, changes rapidly. Billy Liucci funneling $10k to a couple of guys looks amazing until Jamison lands 5 deals on that level or better in the next few months. That's not a distant hope, so let's see how shit unfolds over this period. 

I said this on another thread last week or early this week, I guess, but "compliance" and one of the major hold-ups for anything getting done with Texas regarding NIL right now is Chris Plonsky. She's fucking buddies with Ketchum and has even "fed" him information over the years when it suited her. That's why he's gotten shit through when no one else has. She's basically looming like a gargoyle over all things NIL and killing it because it threatens the perceived fiefdom of the LHF and the AD. 

That is about to change, but there are clearly reasons why she hasn't been shown the door previously given that she's a known bureaucratic troll. This is a tipping point and she's not reading the room, however. 

Not going into any details and not saying I agree, but we didn't lose KG.

You're looking at a snapshot and this is a moving picture.

I will agree with everyone that the UT football staff's recruiting engine, currently, looks second rate with the constant flat-footed nature of their handling of twists and turns. This has been one of the greatest 8 days in the history of recruiting cycles for UT and they look like a bunch of monkeys trying to fuck a football.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge.  I cannot believe that Plonsky is still around.  I had a relative that was very involved in the Athletic Department back in the day and she stated that Plonsky was never well liked and mostly considered useless.  She must have dirt on people is only thing I can figure.  How she continues to have a place at the university boggles the mind.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Do weed dealers in Denver still exist? Probably somehow, but that's not where you're headed when you land at the airport if you want to get weed. They're making more money illegally funneling outside of the open markets than participating within them, which is isn't a surprise.

Just as an aside, black market drug deals in legal states still exists and are thriving thanks to high regulation, taxes, and resulting costs on the good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

Just as an aside, black market drug deals in legal states still exists and are thriving thanks to high regulation, taxes, and resulting costs on the good. 

29 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Can confirm. 

I've read various analyses. Like I said, there are still weed dealers in Denver and they're serving a purpose, but the market shifted on them and they're only around because of a niche they're providing - either solely cost-driven weed buyers, which yes, is a niche, or those buying other shit who'll take the cheaper weed too. That isn't to say that those still in the market aren't doing well. The best bootleggers are doing fine too.

Given that NIL is going fully nationally, and it's inversely relevant to a market in the drugs comparison in that it won't be about lower prices but rather higher rent, so the drug dealer comparison will wind up specious anyway. I should have planned for the academic/didactic versus the thrust of the point being what gathered focus. 

$80k to Willie Lyles to have exclusive rights to landing Jaylen Waddle will not be the way of the future, and that's one of the bigger, more recent bags. A player need not grant any institution exclusive access to making offers because their handler needs his money. If the player can pick between 10 schools where he can reasonably expect to make 6 figures each year while on the roster, he and his people are going to begin to realize that the game is more about maximizing his exposure while on campus.

So, ironically, the game of recruiting then gets to spin back to actual football shit that matters like depth charts, history of positional development by a staff, competitiveness of conference and program tradition, coaching, etc. Local population density and count of local/regional sponsoring orgs will also play roles for those who are all about the money.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

image.jpeg.82e8fb43c1c54ec28fd41e5f0a878e3c.jpeg

I understand that she exists. It just stretches the bounds of reality that one employee has any and all of coaching hire decisions, capital projects, recruiting compliance, and media content decisions all go through their desk, and hamper each one of these efforts. And it’s even more wacky that she wouldn’t have been fired for it long ago. Or recently. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
And all title IX complaints

It’s really difficult to believe that one woman is primarily responsible for all of our athletic woes across all sports for 3-4 decades. It’s literally incredible. 
Not primarily responsible, but she has no love for the sports that promote "toxic masculinity". In descending order, football, basketball and baseball

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting