Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

The real kick in the nuts on Patton is that he's about recruit #10 that the $9.95ers have said they feel great about, then ends up elsewhere. They simply can't be trusted right now to have accurate info. Fucking sucks, but I'm not buying a word they say on, for example, Campbell right now.

4 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

The Trevell Johnson news has not hit here yet?  I am starting to believe our staff (coaching/support/administration wise) on the recruiting front has some fundamental problems that can’t be fixed. 

too much keeps happening to believe otherwise 

Sark hasn't coached a single game yet. Man we can be an impossible crowd to please.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

The Trevell Johnson news has not hit here yet?  I am starting to believe our staff (coaching/support/administration wise) on the recruiting front has some fundamental problems that can’t be fixed. 

....well?

From OB

Not the best update to start off on a Friday, but I'm hearing Trevell Johnson was back on the Texas Tech campus this week. That makes the third visit to Tech for Johnson in the past two months. Obviously, this one isn't trending particularly well for Texas and it's a situation we'll be monitoring very closely.

I've tried to reach out to Trevell this week to see if he's coming to Austin for the pool party, but he's gone silent on me, which isn't the norm. Sometimes those small things can be signs as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

From OB

Not the best update to start off on a Friday, but I'm hearing Trevell Johnson was back on the Texas Tech campus this week. That makes the third visit to Tech for Johnson in the past two months. Obviously, this one isn't trending particularly well for Texas and it's a situation we'll be monitoring very closely.

I've tried to reach out to Trevell this week to see if he's coming to Austin for the pool party, but he's gone silent on me, which isn't the norm. Sometimes those small things can be signs as well.

he’s bailing because jacoby mathews is coming. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

They are telling the kids that Texas isn’t coming till ‘25

If they believe that, I could definitely see not liking the prospect of playing most of your career in a subpar conference where everyone (including probably the refs) hates your guts.

Just now, Tex-19 said:

So Aggy will have now paid a Georgia-native to decommit from UGA and a LA native to decommit from LSU? Wtf, how has there not been repercussions for that yet

Maybe because Verbal commits don't mean a fucking thing? You realize there is no penalty for verbally committing and then on signing day signing for a different team right?

The only thing about Verbals is that the school may not offer other people from the same position. 

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

They are telling the kids that Texas isn’t coming till ‘25

Doesn't help that all the press releases right now are saying 25 because of legal posturing. Even though everyone knows it'll likely be 22/23, it's gotta be easy to point out those official releases and convince kids that's the truth

21 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Buddy you have got to stop with the goofy "teeheehee some other board has some bad news" posts. Just START with the news.

Also IT:

Wallace is a player who does it all, accept score at a high rate.

Fucking yikes.

From OB

Losing a commit to Tech after this weeks news is a “burn it all down and start over” type of development. The fuck is going on?

50 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Who? Jaylon Guilbeau? Pass. Jacoby Mathews? He's going full aggy. Evan Stewart? Won't be in anyone's fold until signing day.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that GIF of Tuco calling Ewers a "dirty son of a bitch".

Oh well, in the quiet words of the great warrior poet, Alanis Morissette, "You live, you learn!"

Edited by Fondren & Main

4 hours ago, KYHorn said:

I agree, but the SEC stuff certainly happened at the Hartzell and Eltife levels, while the NIL stuff certainly could've been accomplished at the AD level. We can't just expect Eltife to do everyone's job at AD and below (not saying you suggested that).

I was mainly thinking about the legal focus, not the mouthpieces.

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

TEAM

7v7 heated up this week. A smattering of notes:

— Hudson Card was on the money Thursday. He hit Joshua Moore on a slant where Card created the window, and put it through the glass. He's throwing guys open. He ran with the 1s, with Casey Thompson rotating in.

-- Xavier Worthy continues to shine. The team doesn’t have anyone like him, he’s just explosive, fast, quick in all directions, etc. He played the slot and outside. He has another gear and when he drops the clutch, he's tough to tackle.

— Card hit Joshua Moore for a 30-yard touchdown.

— Casey Thompson threw plenty of strong passes this week, but he and Troy Omeire weren't on the same page. Not blaming either player.

— At running back, Keilan Robinson has a different gear than Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson. He's a blur. He’s being used out of the backfield, in the flat, and any way they can create space for him. He’s tough to cover and has good hands.

— Jamier Johnson turned some heads yesterday. He played boundary cornerback and was physical, confident, and made a few plays.

Anthony Cook played well at nickel. He's in the best physical shape he’s ever been. He made a handful of good plays on Thursday.

Nothing has changed on the depth chart but we’ll still go into deeper detail on the depth chart next week.

We touched on the most notable position battle of the spring on Wednesday; here we’ll talk about some others via our sourcing:

Moro Ojomo vs Alfred Collins

Source: [pause] “Moro is going to win that one. Had a great spring, has the experience, and is doing well with the pass rush. Definitely a future NFL player. Get-off gets better, has technique, and is sound versus the run game.“

Collins needs to work on: “Not, much. He isn’t far off. He could use more urgency in his pass rush; needs to have a plan. Continue to improve his usage of hands, counter moves, and not just relying on being big and athletic. Hands need to improve in run game too. He’ll shock guys but then get knocked off.”

“Byron Murphy is still looking good.” (The source couldn’t help himself, he always mentions Murphy and Worthy)

Junior Angilau vs Jake Majors

Source: “Probably Jake at center and Angilau at guard; that makes for a solid o-line. Angilau is more comfortable at guard than center. He can play center, there’s no issue there, it’s just the best o-line has Angilau at guard. It’s really Angilau vs Tope. Angilau might be a candidate to be a center in the NFL. Smart enough, strong, quick with his hands, good feet. He’ll be drafted with center in mind as a possibility.”

On Majors: “Jake is solid and good enough to start at center. Solid in pass pro, solid in run game. Doesn’t do anything outstanding. Solid considering where he is in his development. Will improve over the course of his career as he gains strength.”

Derek Kerstetter vs Andrej Karic

Source: “Kerstetter will likely get it. He’s the leader in the room along with Junior. He continues to work on his pass rush, takes lots of extra reps. Has more experience, is the older guy. Certain things he has to work on in camp to get better in pass pro. Good with his hands. He could have some issues with the bull rush but his ankle might still be getting stronger.”

Source: “Karic does use his hands well and is physical. He’s a grappler. I just think it will be Kerstetter with Karic as the first tackle off the bench.”

Luke Brockermeyer vs Jaylan Ford

Source: [long pause] “Don’t know. No idea. That’s probably the most wide open position on the roster. Brockermeyer has been consistent since the spring. If he builds on top of that he might win it. He has a chance. That’s going to be a good competition. Who competes for it the longest might win it. Who stays in the game and brings it every single day? Could come down to who watches the most film and understands the defense better.“

On Ford: “First, he’s still a young guy who could make a big jump quick. If he makes the jump Gbenda did in the spring, it will be Ford. He needs to work the most on run/pass recognition and being more aware of routes. Being football smart and communication. Don’t get caught up looking in the back field. Play with patience and understanding. He’s talented and has the mentality to put it all together.”

Other guys: “Devin Richardson is definitely in the mix. Hard worker, has the size, and can move. Jett Bush will even get a look.”

After a team gathering this morning/early afternoon, the team will be released until reporting for camp on August 5th. Practice will begin a day later.

RECRUITING

Today the Horns will host some of the best in-state for its BBQ/pool party.

With big news on the way (formal acceptance of the SEC invite), there could be an SEC buzz by the time they hit the water.

QB Nicholaus Iamaleava, Warren (Downey, CA) - 2023

RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022:

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023

WR Jason Robinson, CE King (Houston, TX) - 2024

WR Jadyn Robinson, CE King (Houston, TX) - 2025

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022

WR Johntay Cook, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX) - 2023

WR Jaquaize Pettaway, Langham Creek (Houston, TX) - 2023

WR Ashton Cozart, Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2023

TE Jaden Platt, Eaton (Haslet, TX) - 2023

OT Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX) - 2022 (MAYBE):

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Frisco, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022

DT Kristopher Ross, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022

DL Omari Abor, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX) - 2022

DL Quency Wiggins, Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA) - 2022

DL Johnny Bowens, Judson (Converse, TX) - 2023

EDGE/LB Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022

EDGE/LB Anthony Hill, Ryan (Denton, TX) - 2023

EDGE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch (Cypress, TX) - 2023

LB K’von Sherman, Pearland (Pearland, TX) - 2022: Might be on offer watch.

CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) - 2022

CB Vernon Glover Jr., Dickinson (Dickinson, TX) - 2023

CB Jaden Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2024

S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo (Aledo, TX) (TEXAS) - 2022

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX) - 2022

DB Ryan Yaites, Ryan (Denton, TX) - 2023

ATH Dalton Brooks, Shiner (Shiner, TX) - 2023

HOOPS

When the live period began, the Texas staff had a target board to evaluate.

The June official visits prior to the live period were SG Keyonte George (iSchool Academy), CG Anthony Black(Coppell), CG Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy) and PF Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles). A visit has been long scheduled with center Kel’El Ware (North Little Rock) as well.

In July, the target board began changing for Longhorns head coach Chris Beard. Combo guard Cason Wallace (Richardson High) became the top target for Beard, and he has been front and center at all of Wallace’s games since. When Texas initially began to prioritize Wallace, they were on the outside looking in with little chance to receive an official visit.

Since that time, Rodney Terry and Beard have battled to get an official visit, which was set in the recent days for September 3rd-5th. When that visit was set, and UT felt like they had a legit chance, tough decisions had to be made. And the decision was made that Wallace would be the top target, even if that meant losing out on another five-star guard. Essentially, Beard is trading scoring and shot-making for great defending, someone who can run a team, who plays both ends, and rebounds from the guard position. Wallace is a player who does it all, accept score at a high rate.

With Wallace as a priority target, Texas is positioned to battle Kentucky and Tennessee for the 6-foot-3 guard who has been exceptional in July on the AAU circuit.

Texas has also backed off Black and Wright with point guard Rowan Brumbaugh (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA), power forward Yohan Traore (Prolific Prep, CA) and F Isaac Traudt (Grand Island, NE) having become top targets after early July evaluations. [note: expect rankings changes to reflect this July period]

The Longhorns have also had eyes on SF Jordan Walsh (Southern California Academy via Dallas) and SG Brendan Hausen (Amarillo High) in July, among others. Both of those have had plenty of contact with the Texas staff this month, and could be offered.

Texas will host Wallace and Ware on September 3rd-5th. Ware is a tussle with Arkansas and Oregon.

Brumbaugh is likely to make a visit in late August. He has Kansas, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Minnesota on the offer list with Duke and Virginia in contact.

IT was told Thursday that Texas will also likely get a visit from Traudt. Traudt has Virginia and Michigan State ahead of North Carolina, Texas, Nebraska, and Creighton.

Dewberry now a "maybe" lol. Is Aggy straight up paying these guys not to come? Is Sark back on the sauce? The cancellations don't make sense. Even if they think SEC is 2025, that doesn't put us in any worse position than 2 weeks ago when SEC wasn't even in mind. Similar for NIL - coming to visit us doesn't hurt their NIL prospects so why bail.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Losing a commit to Tech after this weeks news is a “burn it all down and start over” type of development. The fuck is going on?

Yeah, that and Patton are downright weird because the Choate/PK coaching axis they'd be under are good, experienced coaches with a great story to tell.

Yeah, that and Patton are downright weird because the Choate/PK coaching axis they'd be under are good, experienced coaches with a great story to tell.

I mean this makes it clear that it isn’t a simple NIL issue. There are problems throughout the entire recruiting infrastructure if kids are choosing Lubbock (and all the uncertainty that currently surrounds that program) over us. Doubly so if we are losing commits this way.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I mean this makes it clear that it isn’t a simple NIL issue. There are problems throughout the entire recruiting infrastructure if kids are choosing Lubbock (and all the uncertainty that currently surrounds that program) over us. Doubly so if we are losing commits this way.

When something seems too weird to be true, it probably isn't.

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

Recruiting whiffs arent such a bad thing. This program and donor base need a wake up call. I never thought I'd see us in the SEC but here we are. As excited as I am, I know we are wayyyyyyy behind. I know some of you are already involved with NIL stuff and I think thats great, but it's my opinion that there's only one way to survive in the recruiting game, and it's to fight fire with even more fire. That's where my efforts will be placed. 

Are you the promised one?  The Messianic Bagman?  The one that will make the ags weep and gnash their teeth?

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not trying to pump sunshine, but is there any chance we're not so high on Johnson for whatever reason?

I wouldn't buy that for the same reason that it's crazy to claim that we wouldn't necessarily welcome Guilbeau back. Who, exactly, would we replace those guys with that is so much better?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting