Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas state law doesn't allow for Texas to make those kinds of deals.  Student-athletes in Texas aren't allowed to use any University branding and the University isn't allowed to enter into licensing deals with their athletes.

Honestly asking: now that we know the NCAA's NIL rule and what other states have done..   is there any hope of the Texas law being amended sooner rather than later to match the looser doctrines that everyone else is playing with? You would think this is is one area where there would be almost universal support since anyone even loosely affiliated with a football program in the state of Texas needs this to change ASAP. Or is amending that law something that will have to wait till 2023 when they finally fucking sit again? 

16 minutes ago, cochamps said:

if I understand Sydney, our biggest problem is the lack of urgency from Coach "All Gas No Brakes".  WTF????

Perhaps he's confident with the talent he has now and their ability to win. He's not gonna change what's worked for him in the past after just a couple of months. We'll see what happens with the results

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Honestly asking: now that we know the NCAA's NIL rule and what other states have done..   is there any hope of the Texas law being amended sooner rather than later to match the looser doctrines that everyone else is playing with? You would think this is is one area where there would be almost universal support since anyone even loosely affiliated with a football program in the state of Texas needs this to change ASAP. Or is amending that law something that will have to wait till 2023 when they finally fucking sit again? 

Waiting on the lege to do something other than stroke their own dicks is a losing proposition

• Haha 1

Will it benefit the Univ of Texas more than any other? That may be the answer to your question.

5 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

But dont you want to go every year instead?

Logically yes I’d like to go every year but you wouldn’t take a random trip to the playoffs in the last 10 years with a handful of double digit win seasons? I’d switch with Notre Dame in a heart beat. From 2010 to now we have 78 wins while they have 102. 

13 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

You mean like Washington and Notre Dame going to the college football playoff before us? Those guys are real big bag men teams for sure. Damn cheating is the only way. Guess we better shut football down lol. 

Notre Dame's last national title was in '98. Washington in 1991. 

Both those schools have a clear ceiling because they don't recruit well enough. This is not a good argument. The playoffs are dominated by schools like Alabama, LSU, and Ohio State who are at the front of the bag game. 

Texas is going to get lapped in the SEC if they don't start playing the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If we have a solid year, get NIL together, announce the SEC move, and land Arch

I expect to get negged for going full satya, but:

1.) Should happen but every team will be bringing their A+ game and will have officials on their side. A lot of trust in a career .500 coach to get to the conference title game in that situation.

2.) lol

3.) Hope so but this is partially in the hands of other schools; both those that could potentially bail and dissolve and those that may want to hold Texas and OU to the fire. Texas won’t pay an exit fee unless it’s made up and then some in short order.

4.) We can’t close Bryce Anderson and couldn’t hold onto his friend Reuben Owens, but we’re gonna land land Arch?
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Logically yes I’d like to go every year but you wouldn’t take a random trip to the playoffs in the last 10 years with a handful of double digit win seasons? I’d switch with Notre Dame in a heart beat. From 2010 to now we have 78 wins while they have 102. 

Why would you want to be Washington and Notre Dame instead of LSU, Ohio State, and Alabama? 

What are you even arguing? 

Yes, if Texas got their shit together and won games they could probably become those 2 schools. But again why in the world would you want to set that ceiling when the playoffs are dominated by schools that play the game? 

13 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Perhaps he's confident with the talent he has now and their ability to win. He's not gonna change what's worked for him in the past after just a couple of months. We'll see what happens with the results

What, pray tell, has exactly worked for him in the past? Because his last two HC jobs failed miserably due to addiction, and I'm not sure you could say he was at either spot long enough to establish a clear list of "Things that have worked." If you mean what's worked for him at Alabama, do you mean showing up and recruiting to an existing machine? Because that's not applicable to anything at Texas any more than saying Chris Beard is going to fix the football program. Apples, Oranges, etc. 

But if you want to illustrate how hiring a dogshit recruiting support staff after your first guy got shut down by compliance at UT is "what's worked for him in the past" well, I'm all ears. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why hasn’t the university setup a portal with player profiles from all sports that inquiring boosters, businesses and etc can access to initiate contact for deals?

"The University" has. Or at least the University signed a deal with Opendorse, which while dogshit is exactly the platform you're describing. It exists. Go ahead. Make an account right now. I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn a bunch of old AF rich donors aren't interested in navigating that shit any more than my mom was interested in learning the intricacies of VCR operation or CTJ is interested in getting a haircut. 

And now you're passively expecting businesses and boosters to go seek these players out, without having any idea of real value, etc. Folks want guidance. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

"The University" has. Or at least the University signed a deal with Opendorse, which while dogshit is exactly the platform you're describing. It exists. Go ahead. Make an account right now. I'm sure you'll be shocked to learn a bunch of old AF rich donors aren't interested in navigating that shit any more than my mom was interested in learning the intricacies of VCR operation or CTJ is interested in getting a haircut. 

Dude he hires hot young interns and has the audacity to not get a haircut when he’s hitting up the happy hour nacho bar at Chuys? WTF

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude he hires hot young interns and has the audacity to not get a haircut when he’s hitting up the happy hour nacho bar at Chuys? WTF

I'm not saying that @closetojumping's manbun/hair is approaching ImmaMac levels, but I think it is nearing that ballpark. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i am just going to neg this moron every time he posts here. he literally comes in here every few weeks and posts terrible shit then complains about how mean we are.

This moron is on the verge of taking the company he founded 7 years ago public. Let me see your resume so we know how smart you are. The fact that you don't get shit should make you pausr before calling anyone moron. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Why would you want to be Washington and Notre Dame instead of LSU, Ohio State, and Alabama? 

What are you even arguing? 

Yes, if Texas got their shit together and won games they could probably become those 2 schools. But again why in the world would you want to set that ceiling when the playoffs are dominated by schools that play the game? 

I’m sorry for derailing this thread. You have read all this shit on surly and you somehow expect to become LSU or bama? That’s fucking incredible. I’m done tho man, you win this round. Well played sir. 

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

This moron is on the verge of taking the company he founded 7 years ago public. Let me see your resume so we know how smart you are. The fact that you don't get shit should make you pausr before calling anyone moron. 

Can we stop comparing pee pee size in here? 

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Wait we're now adding Washington to the list? FUCK! I thought he did alright there.

He did fine there, but he was there for what, 2 years before bolting, and the stories of his legendary drinking were well in effect at that time. I'm not sure 2 seasons before leaving is really enough time to have an extensive "best practices" list while he was drinking himself blind most nights. 

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I’m sorry for derailing this thread. You have read all this shit on surly and you somehow expect to become LSU or bama? That’s fucking incredible. I’m done tho man, you win this round. Well played sir. 

You used the playoffs as an example of why Texas shouldn't cheat when it's dominated by schools that throw money around. See Alabama, LSU and Ohio State. 

Your argument was terrible. 

And yes..... I want Texas to become LSU, Ohio State, Alabama and the only way that's a possibility is if they start buying players/recruits like they do. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

He did fine there, but he was there for what, 2 years before bolting, and the stories of his legendary drinking were well in effect at that time. I'm not sure 2 seasons before leaving is really enough time to have an extensive "best practices" list while he was drinking himself blind most nights. 

Yah but he bolted for the USC job. That was a no-brainer. Then he fucked it up.

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What, pray tell, has exactly worked for him in the past? Because his last two HC jobs failed miserably due to addiction, and I'm not sure you could say he was at either spot long enough to establish a clear list of "Things that have worked." If you mean what's worked for him at Alabama, do you mean showing up and recruiting to an existing machine? Because that's not applicable to anything at Texas any more than saying Chris Beard is going to fix the football program. Apples, Oranges, etc. 

But if you want to illustrate how hiring a dogshit recruiting support staff after your first guy got shut down by compliance at UT is "what's worked for him in the past" well, I'm all ears. 

I meant mostly his not being an overly aggressive hobbit cuck with people demanding their approval to fill the gaping hole in his heart. He's just a laid back friendly dude.  Does he need to show more urgency, I don't know maybe he's going over the same shit we're all worried about or maybe he's not worried about it at all and is confident we'll win no matter what. Maybe he's got a plan maybe he doesn't time will tell if he's successful at Texas or not. Mario Cristobal is 52-57 all time as a head coach and we're worried about him stealing every single recruit.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah but he bolted for the USC job. That was a no-brainer. Then he fucked it up.

The original post I made was that the guy doesn't have that many years of experience as a HC to draw real best practices from, and working at Bama is clearly not the same as working at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I meant mostly his not being an overly aggressive hobbit cuck with people demanding their approval to fill the gaping hole in his heart. He's just a laid back friendly dude.  Does he need to show more urgency, I don't know maybe he's going over the same shit we're all worried about or maybe he's not worried about it at all and is confident we'll win no matter what. Maybe he's got a plan maybe he doesn't time will tell if he's successful at Texas or not. Mario Cristobal is 52-57 all time as a head coach and we're worried about him stealing every single recruit.

I'm worried about Phil Knight stealing every recruit. 

Not to rain on your rage party sir but isn't fisher a pretty good recruiter? Legitimately?  No excuses though man but our head coach is always going to be "ole shit faced at a press conference guy" until he puts skins on the wall. Can we win with 3*'s and 4*'s if we coach them correctly? I'll hang up and listen Mr. Rome 
He comes across as the type of guy who could sell a bag of sand to a Saudi prince and make a lot of money off the deal. Tote the note used car salesman type..

2 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Of the top of my head, I believe Tennessee and Oregon recruited well under their new head coaches despite not having much recent success and lacking an in-state fertile recruiting base. An elite recruiter can sell the new car smell in their first 2 years. We have a fertile recruiting ground where many top recruits grow up wanting to play for the flagship university. We should be able to close better with our resources. 

You mean this Tennessee?

image.png.c5709cfc8615e37b07da64972b3ae1d6.png

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You used the playoffs as an example of why Texas shouldn't cheat when it's dominated by schools that throw money around. See Alabama, LSU and Ohio State. 

Your argument was terrible. 

And yes..... I want Texas to become LSU, Ohio State, Alabama and the only way that's a possibility is if they start buying players/recruits like they do. 

Wut lol. 
I would love to cheat, I’d like to cheat so much we sign all 32 five stars in a class. The reality is Texas will…never…ever…cheat. Pull your head out of the clouds. We have to find a way to be Notre Dame but recruit from a state with the talent to win it all. Like 2005. Hold your breath till we flat out buy our first recruit, we will all come check on you in 2025 when Texas finally figures out NIL. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What the fuck does "Advertising" have to do with anything?

Throw a corporate function and pay the entire team 1k each to show up and sign autographs. 

Even asking them to show up and sign autographs directly in exchange for payment is a lot. But it's still a hell of a lot more than we're doing now.

Maybe a contract that says they can show up and sign autographs once in a while, but they still get paid a certain amount no matter what.

Edited by Atticus

9 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Wut lol. 
I would love to cheat, I’d like to cheat so much we sign all 32 five stars in a class. The reality is Texas will…never…ever…cheat. Pull your head out of the clouds. We have to find a way to be Notre Dame but recruit from a state with the talent to win it all. Like 2005. Hold your breath till we flat out buy our first recruit, we will all come check on you in 2025 when Texas finally figures out NIL. 

I don't buy that and just accepting this reality certainly won't incentivize change. 

"Let's figure out how to be 2 schools that haven't won a single playoff game" isn't going to persuade people that want to win big. As much pearl-clutching as Texas displays enough bitching and bad results in recruiting will almost certainly force a different approach. Let's hope it's not 5 years down the line. 

As somebody pointed out earlier, Eltife apparently follows recruiting. My guess is one of these big wigs eventually steps in and does something about this shit. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Even asking them to show up and sign autographs is a lot. But it's still a hell of a lot more than we're doing now.

Maybe a contract that says they can show up and sign autographs once in a while, but they still get paid a certain amount no matter what.

Dude, these kids will show up to sign autographs for an hour. Our OL is on social media begging bars and restaurants to have Brunch With The Bigs. This kids are willing to do stuff for the money, you don't see pro players getting paid for doing zero work in return. They're ok with doing things for the money. That isn't to say there isn't passive income opportunities, but kids are going to be doing "something" for the money, by definition. You suddenly think these guys are going to roll their eyes at a thousand dollars for an hour of work? You would be wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We'll still get good players without paying money, we might even get the occasional great player that wants to attend the university our of some irrational attachment to it. We won't get the best players without it because everyone else is giving it to them. We can win games with good coaching and good players, we might even win a championship with that generational player that chooses us for some reason but we can't consistently go to the playoffs and win without a stable of great players like Ohio State and Alabama get. We all fear that Texas is complacent with making money, 10 win seasons and the occasional championship every 35 years. And don't go with that bullshit about Texas doesn't think they should cheat cause this shit isn't even cheating anymore. ITs never been about doing the right thing it always been about the money because now that the right thing is spending the money they are still balking at it because none of them are willing to risk making less money. They'd rather protect the brand and their own fiefdoms than give players what they deserve.

Edited by Michael Knight

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What the fuck does "Advertising" have to do with anything?

Throw a corporate function and pay the entire team 1k each to show up and sign autographs. 

I will get more involved with the school once the current deal to take us public through a SPAC merger materializes. I was ready to sell the business and retire but the space we are in got hot all of a sudden and some investment group wants to give my company $40-50M of which I am the only shareholder. At any rate, you guys carry on. I will check back in a few.

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What was the story here? 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting