Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Reading this “recruiting thread” I’m really sensing deja vu from the last 8 years. How many times did we hear “coach just needs to change x and win some games”? Sean Watson, et al. “Simplify the defense …”, etc. Fucking coach needs to get rid of his friends and everything will be great! Now we’re heading into a totally different jungle and I wouldn’t be so sure this team doesn’t start 0-2.
First game under a new coach against an “underdog” confident team followed by a road game to Fayettenam where these kids have no idea the hate against them. Maybe I’m just a pussy or am so used to disappointment that I’m afraid to hope again.
Deep down I think we’ll be undefeated going into the Cotton Bowl but I believe I’ve expected that the last 8 years. Finally resigned myself to never seeing the Cowboys eclipse what I saw growing up from the 70s but I really don’t want that feeling for the Horns.

Hope is a dangerous thing.

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

First 2+ minutes of his Jr year hudl is interceptions.

He reminds me of a guy I played with in high school named Charles Tillman. Dude started at safety in a cover two scheme and just had a nose for the ball. Tall and skinny. Moved to cornerback and got no looks from big schools. Went to Louisiana Lafayette and then got drafted by the Bears 34th overall to cover Randy Moss. Covered Roy Williams in college and completely shut him down.  Not saying this guy will turn out the same, but their style of play and instincts are eerily similar. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

He reminds me of a guy I played with in high school named Charles Tillman. Dude started at safety in a cover two scheme and just had a nose for the ball. Tall and skinny. Moved to cornerback and got no looks from big schools. Went to Louisiana Lafayette and then got drafted by the Bears 34th overall to cover Randy Moss. Covered Roy Williams in college and completely shut him down.  Not saying this guy will turn out the same, but their style of play and instincts are eerily similar. 

One of the greatest Bears defenders of all time.  Created the 'Peanut Punch'.  More forced fumbles than any other DB in NFL history.  Holy shit lets hope he has even a fraction of Tillman's smarts/hustle/skill.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

One of the greatest Bears defenders of all time.  Created the 'Peanut Punch'.  More forced fumbles than any other DB in NFL history.  Holy shit lets hope he has even a fraction of Tillman's smarts/hustle/skill.

Yep. Charles ran the 100 and 300 hurdles, too, just like Lewis. Eerie. 

Still cracks me up to think about everything Peanut did with his life. He’s an FBI agent now. He was a goofy bastard in high school, and he’s been doing that punch since he was a kid. He wasn’t the most aggressive hitter, so he’d kinda catch the ball carrier and punch at the same time. Hilarious to me to see him do it on TV and set records with it.

Anyway, when Charles started playing as a sophomore, he would look like he was out of position and then end up picking the ball off. I’ve never seen instincts like his. He was like a magnet for the ball. I see the same thing when I watch the first couple minutes of Lewis’s film. Again, Charles worked his ass off, but if this kid has a chip on his shoulder, I love the offer. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I may be wrong on this but if I were the UT president or chancellor, I would tell our boosters that we are going to need their help to sign few kids in each class. It doesn't have to be for all the kids in the class but perhaps the top 5-6 guys that are on the fence and getting attractive offers elsewhere.

Then someone in our recruiting department should tell those recruits he/she is confident our boosters can match or exceed any other deals they might get elsewhere. "If you love Texas, don't go to that other school hoping for more money. You get to stay close to home and make as much money." Get a soft commitment from the recruit contingent on Texas being able to offer a similar or better deal.

Then the recruiting coordinator guy calls one of the boosters to tell him/her who the target recruit is and what kind of deal we would need to land him.

If you create several layers in between, then you have plausible deniability in case you get caught. 

Who's going to catch them?  The NCAA?  I don't think they are doing much these days...Everyone is throwing money around; especially, since the NIL ruling...What is Texas waiting on?  Still trying to follow rules?  

At this point, they should go out and find the sleaziest salesman they can find, and by sleazy, I mean the best.  The guy that can sale ice to Eskimos and make them think they got a great deal.  Give him bags of money and turn him loose...

Seems like everyone else is doing that...

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

https://247sports.com/player/ronald-lewis-46113147/

Brandon Harris and co liked the decommit tweet earlier today, then Nahlin commented how underrated he was

Someone on Rivals already forecasted him to Texas.  Says he has a good relationship with one of our staffers from Louisiana, Hankton.

Who's going to catch them?  The NCAA?  I don't think they are doing much these days...Everyone is throwing money around; especially, since the NIL ruling...What is Texas waiting on?  Still trying to follow rules?  
At this point, they should go out and find the sleaziest salesman they can find, and by sleazy, I mean the best.  The guy that can sale ice to Eskimos and make them think they got a great deal.  Give him bags of money and turn him loose...
Seems like everyone else is doing that...

You don’t need a sleazy salesmen when you have money. All you invite is problems with those types.

You don’t need a sleazy salesmen when you have money. All you invite is problems with those types.
Maybe not sleazy, but we could definitely use another Carrington type closer. Pretty sure we dont land Ossai and a couple other players without him doing his thang.

6 minutes ago, ousux said:
18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Maybe not sleazy, but we could definitely use another Carrington type closer. Pretty sure we dont land Ossai and a couple other players without him doing his thang.

So a real Recruiting Director in other words.

Don't get worked up by my response, my dude. The effort is admirable. I am telling you as a former VC and current entrepreneur, this plan has a lot of pitfalls. It also will present a lot of risk to whoever runs it.

So am I. I invested in a lemonade stands of Oak Forest and served on the board. Those were very lucrative because we were marketing the salespeople more so than the product, and all profits were reinvested to generate passive revenue with growth up to 60% and rising.

Why would this be risky for the person running it?

1 hour ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Nivek said:

True.  Find the guy that can out sale the other 10 guys that are also coming with bags of money for the same recruits...Carrington might be that guy, or might have been a good start until we find "the guy"..

3 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

True.  Find the guy that can out sale the other 10 guys that are also coming with bags of money for the same recruits...Carrington might be that guy, or might have been a good start until we find "the guy"..

There’s not a single guy. It’s pretty much just networking and sales. There are a bunch of people who would be great for this role, which is what makes it all the worse that Sark a) hasn’t gone out and hired an ace for this spot and b) doesn’t appear to understand what a huge mistake he’s making. The latter is the bigger red flag of the two. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So am I. I invested in a lemonade stands of Oak Forest and served on the board. Those were very lucrative because we were marketing the salespeople more so than the product, and all profits were reinvested to generate passive revenue with growth up to 60% and rising.

Why would this be risky for the person running it?

There is a risk of some bag money being funneled through it. There are still a lot of grey areas with this NIL and Texas laws being more strict than perhaps other states. Someone from another university tips the IRS and they decide to look under the hood. If you are doing it as a for profit business, then it's a different case. This will be run by fans who typically don't mind bending the rules to give the school they love an edge. It can start out as a noble venture, but in my humble opinion, runs the risk of breaking laws down the road. In the NIL thread, I offered my support through my business, which is probably more in line with the intent of the NIL program.

Edited by ShowMeALoss

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting