Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Decommits from OU, where they have Spencer Rattler and will have Malachi Nelson, but QB is a concern?

Seems legit.

and Caleb Williams. 

8 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Now do the same for SMU. Is it better than Texas?

Nope, and nope. It's also irrelevant. 

Finish the rest of the thought - do you think that Hudson had the concerns about UTs QB situation on his own, or are they coming from another source(s)? My guess is that everyone recruiting him right now is shitting on the UT QB room. No one has done the same with SMU because it's fucking SMU. The coaching staff should be able to allay those fears easily by pointing to their previous successes in development, etc ...    

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Finish the rest of the thought - do you think that Hudson had the concerns about UTs QB situation on his own, or are they coming from another source(s)? My guess is that everyone recruiting him right now is shitting on the UT QB room. No one has done the same with SMU because it's fucking SMU.

I know that these kids don't think everything through, and buy some crazy shit sometimes, but to buy this logic I'd have to believe he thinks the SMU QB situation is golden. He doesn't need anyone shitting on SMU for him to know their situation isn't better, and as a WR I'd expect him to explore the situation everyhwere.

Edited by UncleBuck

(Eric Nahlin) Attempting to connect the running back recruiting dots

Spoiler

Some working thoughts on running back recruiting.

What we know: Jaydon Blue (Klein Cain) is still committed and people close to him still expect him to enroll early at Texas.

Commentary: He’s on his Texas official visit this weekend.

What we know: Tavorus Jones (El Paso Burges) had his official visit this weekend canceled by Texas. Said Jones, “they canceled my visit because of the backs that already committed.”

Commentary: This would seem to mean Blue and DeAnthony Gatson, but there’s an outside chance Texas means Blue and someone else.

What we know: DeAnthony Gatson (Newton) is set to announce his commitment on June 22nd.

Commentary: We’ve long felt he was Texas’ to lose if the staff wanted him. There were some in attendance who thought he might have given a silent on his official visit to Texas earlier in the month. Since then, however, there’s been some noise around USC, and even some around Iowa State. Occam’s Razor dictates he’s the second RB in the class, especially since he’s a fit for the offense and comes up big where Blue comes up short from a strength/weakness standpoint. But Occam’s Razor is often dulled by recruiting and if the staff truly loved him he would have been offered earlier. Maybe he really impressed on his visit.

What we know: Stud Louisiana running back TreVonte’ Citizen (Lake Charles Prep) told Gerry Hamilton on Tuesday all of his top schools are still under consideration. That includes Texas who he visited the first weekend of June.

Commentary: Is Texas truly in it? We’re not sure, probably not, but we can’t rule it out. Would Texas take Gatson in June when the staff already has Blue, Keilan Robinson, and a huge year expected out of Bijan Robinson to sell to recruits? Maybe, maybe not. We know the staff would definitely take Citizen.

What we know: Graduate transfer running back Keilan Robinson has enough eligibility remaining (three years) to allow the staff to only take one running back in the class if it wishes, or at least hold off and be highly selective.

Commentary: He might even affect Rueben Owens’ running back carry calculus.

What we know: 2023 running back commit Rueben Owens de-committed.

Commentary: We believe this was guaranteed once UT took a second back in the class on top of taking Keilan Robinson and his remaining eligibility. This points to the Jones quote above. They have a second RB committed and Owens isn’t a fan. Would he be afraid to compete with Gaston and Blue?

We can’t rule out that Owens just wants to be more free to experience recruiting but we’ve heard the above as well.

#####

The dots mostly point towards Gatson, but the USC confidence and the thinking it might be too early take him for Texas have us wondering if we’re missing something else.

We’ll find out a lot more on Tuesday, the 22nd.

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I know that these kids don't think everything through, and buy some crazy shit sometimes, but to buy this logic I'd have to believe he thinks the SMU QB situation is golden. He doesn't need anyone shitting on SMU for him to know their situation isn't better, and as a WR I'd expect him to explore the situation everyhwere.

You should talk to any kid coming off of a TCU visit it will quickly disavow you of this notion. Or any WR coming off a visit with Jimbo Fisher. 

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You should talk to any kid coming off of a TCU visit it will quickly disavow you of this notion. Or any WR coming off a visit with Jimbo Fisher. 

No, it really wouldn't, because I wouldn't believe it, and also because you said Jimbo Fi$her.

And TBH,  in this case where it appears SMU may be leading the pack, you're silly if you think he ISN'T hearing negative about SMU's QB situation. He's a WR.

Gerry

Spoiler

2022 RB Jovantae Barnes (Desert Pines/Las Vegas) was on campus at Texas two days ago on an UOV according to a source very close to the talented RB.

The 6-foot-0, 190-pounder is seriously considering the Longhorns due to the offensive scheme of Steve Sarkisian, and the Texas brand.

Both Sarkisian and Jeff Banks are leading the charge in the recruitment of Barnes.

Barnes is currently on the way to make an UOV to Oklahoma State before taking in the Oklahoma Sooners BBQ Saturday.

Barnes will then be at Alabama Sunday and part of Monday before heading to Georgia and Georgia Tech. A stop at Auburn is also possible.

Barnes has already been on campus at USC, FSU and Utah this month.

Barnes won’t begin the official visit process until the season begins, but Texas has a real shot to grab an OV if the Longhorns keep pushing.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Looks like Hudson committed to SmU based on samples last tweet

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Said it before, but it's worth repeating. A WR decommitting from OU to go to SMU is a complete moron.

It's not optimal, but I feel a lot more confident about flipping a player from SMU than OU so I think it's still a positive.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

It's not optimal, but I feel a lot more confident about flipping a player from SMU than OU so I think it's still a positive.

Yeah, but we all know the numbers on a recruit with multiple decommitments maximizing are low. Maybe with COVID, this year will be an outlier in that regard, but who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Why do we care so much about Hudson? I know he is a good prospect, but Stewart and Thompson are bigger priorities imo.  

If he flips from OU to SMU, that’s cool with me, fuck sooner.

Aside from how good he is (he's good), he's also Gerry's pet prospect for the year, which will make IT's coverage of the class 5x more snarky than it would be otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Reveal hidden contents

2022 RB Jovantae Barnes (Desert Pines/Las Vegas) was on campus at Texas two days ago on an UOV according to a source very close to the talented RB.

The 6-foot-0, 190-pounder is seriously considering the Longhorns due to the offensive scheme of Steve Sarkisian, and the Texas brand.

Both Sarkisian and Jeff Banks are leading the charge in the recruitment of Barnes.

Barnes is currently on the way to make an UOV to Oklahoma State before taking in the Oklahoma Sooners BBQ Saturday.

Barnes will then be at Alabama Sunday and part of Monday before heading to Georgia and Georgia Tech. A stop at Auburn is also possible.

Barnes has already been on campus at USC, FSU and Utah this month.

Barnes won’t begin the official visit process until the season begins, but Texas has a real shot to grab an OV if the Longhorns keep pushing.

Given the timing, I want to believe this is the 2nd guy that pushed out Jones. But I don't.

Wake me up on NSD1 when Hudson signs with SMU. If that happens, I pledge to take my shameful feelings out on this board by posting artful photos of my ass pressed firmly up against a mirror in homage to Hudson’s similarly bad decision making. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Aside from how good he is (he's good), he's also Gerry's pet prospect for the year, which will make IT's coverage of the class 5x more snarky than it would be otherwise.

I guess it’s gotta be Gerry’s obsession leaking onto this board. I know Hudson is good, but I’m much more concerned about the WR group that’s on campus right now.

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

so according to them Owens didn't like the staff getting Robinson..who if he played his entire eligibility they would only be together for Owens Freshman season..?

This strikes me as either 9.95er nonsense or a convenient excuse for Owens. Wherever he goes, he’s going to get more competition than Keilan Robinson.

10 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I guess it’s gotta be Gerry’s obsession leaking onto this board. I know Hudson is good, but I’m much more concerned about the WR group that’s on campus right now.

This strikes me as either 9.95er nonsense or a convenient excuse for Owens. Wherever he goes, he’s going to get more competition than Keilan Robinson.

I don’t really think Gerry gives much of a fuck about Hudson, honestly. The guy he was jonesing for was the dude in Katy. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wake me up on NSD1 when Hudson signs with SMU. If that happens, I pledge to take my shameful feelings out on this board by posting artful photos of my assed pressed firmly up against a mirror in homage to Hudson’s similarly bad decision making. 

Season 3 Discovery GIF by Paramount+

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t really think Gerry gives much of a fuck about Hudson, honestly. The guy he was jonesing for was the dude in Katy. 

Gerry putting "best hands in the country" in every post about Hudson is already at running joke status at this point. He certainly likes him a lot.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wake me up on NSD1 when Hudson signs with SMU. If that happens, I pledge to take my shameful feelings out on this board by posting artful photos of my assed pressed firmly up against a mirror in homage to Hudson’s similarly bad decision making. 

But will there be a fist in it?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At some point, I'm sure somebody posted "Wake me up on NSD when Quay Davis signs with Kansas" , cause I'm pretty sure nobody thought that would stick either.

What's the rule on how long kids can be on their OVs? Do the guys who arrived yesterday have to be gone by Saturday or still Sunday? If Saturday, a little odd that a bunch arrived yesterday and a bunch today. Seems like it would make it hard to coordinate group activity schedules.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Shark Tank Writing GIF

dammit. HH beat me

Edited by mantis toboggan

Shark Tank Mark GIF by ABC Network

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting