Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas expects Blue to play somewhere this upcoming season. Either the guy needs to make things right somehow with his current school, or he needs to find someone who will take him. Then he needs to be a model team player. That's a very difficult needle to thread for a guy who has been a prima donna his whole career. I believe @SydneyCarton has a father-in-law or some other family member who is close to the Klein area programs and works on one of the staffs. I assume he'll be able to keep us informed on it.

The staff watched tape on Jones and didn't see a difference maker, supposedly. Do you guys want them to waste a visit space on someone that they're not going to take as a signable rercuit?

TB appears to be a position that will reliably fill the transfer portal with talent on an ongoing basis. I don't know why a school like Texas, with the current TB depth chart, would ever feel the need to reach for a roster filler in this environment.

This is great to hear. I posted earlier that it wouldn’t have made sense to shut down his visit unless they really decided they didn’t like him. Sark continuing to show solid decision-making. 

And on Stewart, it’s now clear that he wants to see a successful year on the field for Texas and success from the WR’s. If that happens, I think he’s coming, even if Bama has another great year. 

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Thinking about potential commits over the next month, here's the pool of recruits who have a good chance of announcing between now and July 31:

De'Anthony Gatson

Cole Hutson

Kelvin Banks

Jacob Sexton

Cameron Williams

Connor Robertson

Derrick Brown

Bryce Anderson

No additional WR? I know we are going after elite guys but I’d think at least one would pop early given we probably have at least one more in play than we have slots. 

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Thinking about potential commits over the next month, here's the pool of recruits who have a good chance of announcing between now and July 31:

De'Anthony Gatson

Cole Hutson

Kelvin Banks

Jacob Sexton

Cameron Williams

Connor Robertson

Derrick Brown

Bryce Anderson

That’s the entire OL, absent Campbell of course…

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

The latest on Bryce Anderson ahead of his final visits

Brian Perroni

(Jimbo: "Can you hurry up and commit, before I go on vacation????")

Reveal hidden contents

The latest on Bryce Anderson ahead of his final visits

Brian Perroni

Bryce Anderson had told the 247 network last week that he might push back his July 4 commitment date and take his Texas official at the end of July. There is randomly one week then that is not dead.

But, I heard from someone close to the recruitment that the July 4 date is still likely on. They feel Anderson will know what he wants to do after the shortened Texas visit.

Anderson will be in College Station Friday and Saturday for the state 7-on-7 tournament. He will then head to Austin after that. Depending on when West Brook loses in Saturday’s single-elimination format, it could be as early as 8 a.m. or as late as around 5 p.m.

I’ve been told it still isn’t set on whether the Texas visit will be an official or unofficial. It will likely depend on what time he gets there Saturday. Either way, the dead period goes into effect Sunday night at midnight, so he can’t stay until Monday.

I don’t know about the rumor with the supposed Saban strong-arming him or whatever from this past weekend, but I think it’s an A&M-Texas battle anyway. Texas was very much the leader heading into his A&M official but Jimbo Fisher personally took the reins of his recruitment and has the Aggies very much in it. Anderson then returned a couple days later for an unofficial. He will also make his way to campus on Friday either before or after the afternoon pool play.

This is going to be a big one to watch heading into the July 4 announcement date. Adding to it is the fact that Fisher will be out of the country on vacation in July and tough to reach. He has planned ahead and hopes to have commitment decisions before he leaves from all the guys announcing during that time. Anderson is aware of that and, if it A&M, he would commit to Fisher prior to the vacation trip.

I hope Anderson tells Jimbo he needs more time, then proceeds to commit to Texas while he's on his African Safari trip or wherever he's going.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

No additional WR? I know we are going after elite guys but I’d think at least one would pop early given we probably have at least one more in play than we have slots. 

We know Stewart is going the distance, and I figured Thompson might wait until his Texas OV.

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Is it normal for coaches to take a summer holiday during a recruiting hot period? or did Aggie pay 75mil for a coach who takes days off when he pleases.

There's a dead period in July, for some stupid reason. So while there will still be plenty of recruiting similar to what we saw for the past year prior to June 1st, it's not what we've seen for the past three weeks 

8 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Is it normal for coaches to take a summer holiday during a recruiting hot period? or did Aggie pay 75mil for a coach who takes days off when he pleases.

Jimbo's $75MM is guaranteed. He will go to Africa and not give a fuck.

48 minutes ago, Machinator said:

De'Anthony Gatson

Cole Hutson

Kelvin Banks

Jacob Sexton

Cameron Williams

Connor Robertson

Derrick Brown

Bryce Anderson

Feel like I've read that Brooks and Harris have been planning on pre-season decisions. Can always change and still maybe not July but seems like a decent chance they announce by then.

30 minutes ago, Fud said:

There's a dead period in July, for some stupid reason. So while there will still be plenty of recruiting similar to what we saw for the past year prior to June 1st, it's not what we've seen for the past three weeks 

Well these officials that everyone is taking right now would have been in late winter early spring time frame, but there was the Covid dead period. I think a lot of these kids would already be committed in a non pandemic recruiting cycle. Usually June and July are pretty quiet for recruiting purposes, and it's really the only time coaches get to take any type of vacation as they prepare for fall camp in August.

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

I hope the staff and AD have given a lot of thought about how to push the limits of what can be offered to recruits now that the Supreme Court has lifted the $5k limit on what can be offered if tied to education. Anyone here have any knowlege of what's been discussed? At a minimum, well-paid internships need to be hooked up asap. Michael Dell, I'm looking at you.

Create a defensive driving course, mandatory for everyone on athletic scholarship, that includes an F250 …

(Justin Wells) Just In Time Evening News: Gatson, Stewart, Robertson, Williams

Spoiler

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022

One of the nation's top prospects finally made his way to Austin for his official visit. After changing dates numerous times, the elite receiver arrived on Friday in full effect.

The 6-foot, 175-pound burner of defensive backs has put on some miles over the last three weeks. First up was Florida on June 4th-6th.

The Gators left such a strong impression, Stewart was working on his Gator chomp last week. He hit Texas A&M on June 14th for an unofficial visit, and wants to see Alabama on June 25th-27th for an official. Lastly, USC on June 28th-29th. But it was all Texas last weekend.

"I like it a lot actually," said Stewart. "The facilities look incredible and I can't wait to see them this fall. The campus is bigger than I thought. Everything here is large. Everyone on campus was extremely nice. Felt at home. My host, Joshua Moore, was a highlight. (UT) is building so much and you can see the changes with coach Sarkisian."

What was the Horns message and where you best play?

"Quoting coach Sarkisian, he said, 'you have no position,'" Stewart said. "That's a compliment. I'm the ultimate competitor and it doesn't matter where they line up, I'll still kill anyway."

Despite an early UT de-commitment, Stewart has always been fond of the Horns. He's closer to Andre Coleman and Jeff Banks. As we reported, he just wanted to see more of the recruiting process. And no matter what is said, Name, Image, and Likeness is a big deal to Stewart. He's too smart and savvy when it comes to this stuff.

"I have to be in the field, playing, for NIL to work," said Stewart. "I'll give it my best and NIL will take care of itself. But it's certainly important."

After notching 1,670 yards receiving and 16 touchdowns on 89 catches over the last two seasons, Stewart mentioned being disappointed his school didn't qualify for State 7v7. But says they'll be better in 2021 and looks forward to his final year at Liberty.

He wants to see a few schools and catch a handful of games this fall. After that, the four-star hopes to have a better idea of when he will commit. Of note; Texas continues to be the most consistent program in his recruitment.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2022

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound four-star interior offensive lineman checked in at UT on Friday for his official trip. It must've been something taking that 15-minute journey. But being close to home might help the Horns here. After seeing Northwestern the previous weekend, the Longhorns were up next.

"It was a great, fun time," said Robertson. "The players were great, the staff was wonderful, and I enjoyed seeing more of the campus, and what UT offers."

While most prospects bemoan about academics, it's a sure-fire priority within the Robertson home.

"I don't have a major in mind yet," Robertson explained. "I might look into business school. My dad graduated from McCombs. I had a great presentation for sports management. It might be something I enjoy doing. Academics matter to us. And Texas has that."

I can't imagine a better gift than your son taking you to your alma mater for an official visit with the football program. Family matters here.

"Today was special for my father," said Robertson. "I wouldn't be here without him. It was special for us. He was so thrilled to see inside DKR and where the players go. He grew up loving the Longhorns, and when we stood on the field together at DKR, at his alma mater, it meant a lot."

His hosts were a pair of familiar buddies that laid down the track on what's what at Texas.

"Jake (Majors) and Michael (Taaffe) are great," Robertson said. "Michael and I are great friends. They helped me a lot with questions and stuff. Very good group of guys."

He's got an official visit set for Stanford this weekend. After that, he'll return to Austin and sit down with his family. He'd like to make a decision in July, if it feels right.

Right now, I like where UT stands, but beware of the Cardinal.

OL Cam Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX) - 2022

One of the remaining offensive line targets for the 2022 cycle is ready for his official trip to Texas this weekend. The Williams family will pull up on June 25th and enjoy their final official visit for the year.

The 6-foot-5, 360-pound tackle/power forward has been busy on the road this month. His first stop was Oregon on June 4th-6th, then went cross-country to Miami for his official on June 11th-13th, hit Lubbock for a mid-week trip on June 15th-17th, and was in Norman last weekend taking in OU.

With 31 offers in tow including Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Georgia, and North Carolina, the massive 17-year old is eager to see UT for the first time.

"I've never been down there (UT) before," said Williams. "I really want to see the campus and coaches."

Williams told IT that," I'd been waiting on the UT offer for a ling time," in early May. After seeing most of his top schools already, all that remains is Austin, TX.

He's building a strong relationship with Kyle Flood, while Jeff Banks checks in often as well. He enjoys bonding with both former Alabama coaches.

Texas was dead in the water here three months ago. Now, they appear to be steering the ship. This weekend looms large for the Longhorns.

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX) - 2022

The 5-foot-11, 208-pound ball-carrier from #bEASTtexas is set to announce his commitment at noon (CT) tomorrow, June 22nd.

After trips to Texas (June 4th-6th), USC (June 11th-13th), and Colorado (June 15th-17th), the three-star tailback knows where he wants to play.

The district 12-3A D-II Offensive Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore, then overall MVP as a junior, tallied 1,974 yards rushing and 29 touchdowns in 12 games for Newton in 2020.

While there's a lot of confidence from the USC side, there's similar hope from the Texas staff. At the end of the day, I'd be mildly surprised if Gatson chooses Los Angeles. Too many data points that add up to orange house. We'll know tomorrow, 12:00pm (CT). Stay tuned.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Mike Roach) Afternoon Delight: Commitment coming for Texas?

Spoiler

— Newton running back DeAnthony Gatson will make his decision tomorrow. I've been going back and forth over this one for a while, but I've decided to enter a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick in favor of Texas. When Gatson made his visit to Austin a few weeks ago, we heard very strong feedback regarding the trip, but there was still some uncertainty about where Texas saw him. When the Longhorns canceled the visit of Tavorus Jones this weekend, I was told it was a strong indicator about where Texas stood with another back in the class. Complicating the matter was the confidence at USC about landing him, but after talking to folks today, I'm moving forward with a cautiously optimistic Texas pick.

— LSU commit Jacoby Mathews made an official visit to Texas A&M last week. I had heard during the spring that Texas still expected to get Mathews on campus, so I checked around to see if he might take a trip this week. I was told that Mathews was kicking the idea around but nothing is set in stone at the moment. One source I spoke with said they didn't believe he'd ultimately make the trip. Additionally, I checked with Florida commit Isaiah Bond who was scheduled for an official visit next week. Bond made trips to Miami and Alabama, but he told me he will not be making the trip to Austin.

— Beaumont Westbrook safety Bryce Anderson has been back and forth about his decision date and visit to Texas. I was told today that the current plan was still to come in on Saturday after his team is done with the state 7v7 tournament. While he teased the idea of moving the decision date back, a source I spoke with still expects him to decide on July 4. Anderson and his family are still working out if this weekend will be official or unofficial.

— Tenaha linebacker Jeremy Patton is still making his visits. Texas made a huge first impression on him, but he wants to take in the whole experience. Texas is working on getting Patton to return for an unofficial visit sometime this summer to try and solidify their position. Patton is currently looking at an October decision date, but he could move that up depending on how he feels.

Well these officials that everyone is taking right now would have been in late winter early spring time frame, but there was the Covid dead period. I think a lot of these kids would already be committed in a non pandemic recruiting cycle. Usually June and July are pretty quiet for recruiting purposes, and it's really the only time coaches get to take any type of vacation as they prepare for fall camp in August.
Unlike Jimbo who won't let a little thing like recruiting come between him and Margaritaville, I don't think Sark and company will be pushing for commitments cuz they have a plane to catch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting