Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Gerry - Recruiting Matters

Gerry Hamilton

Senior National Recruiting Analyst On3.com

IT Recruiting Matters: Yes, Maybe or No

Keeping up with recruiting in the month of June feels like running a 100m dash over and over, day after day.

Now with the finish line (dead period June 28) in sight, the Texas staff is in position to win some recruitments in the month of July, which should be a commitment fest for the class of 2022.

Today, Inside Texas is going to one again play the recruiting game of Yes, Maybe, or No as recruitments currently stand with a number of changes that are positive moves for the Longhorns since June 9.

Yes - Texas has a good shot to win the recruitment. Doesn’t mean the leader of every recruitment currently, but a good shot.

Maybe - Texas has a chance to win the recruitment. Could be a slight lead that is seen as potential to slip, or coming from behind and having a shot to win.

No - Texas is making an effort, but is seen as a long shot.

Yes:
RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton
Decision day for the 5-foot-10.5, 210-pound running back from deep East Texas. Either Texas or USC will get their feelings hurt today.

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty
Going to be a real battle with SEC programs, but in the “must get” list for Sarkisian and staff. The official visit went about as well as could be expected.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman
Same as Stewart. Viewed the same by the staff. Made an unofficial visit to Texas last weekend, sandwiched between OV’s to Oklahoma State and Texas A&M (currently in College Station). Scheduled to make an OV to Oregon this weekend. Texas is a solid bet to get an OV during the season. Clemson and Alabama are also in the mix.

WR C.J. Williams, Mater Dei (CA)
Texas official visit was a successful one with Bijan Robinson playing the role of host, which is significant.

June 22: Upgraded to Yes, but the Notre Dame official visit this weekend looms large. There is also a lot of pressure on the USC staff to twin this recruitment.

TE/ATH Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (CA)
One of the nations top pound for pound athletes heads to Texas this weekend after rescheduling his official visit to Arizona State last weekend due to the issues in Tempe.

C/G Cole Hutson, Frisco High
Official visit to Texas A&M remains with the Longhorns in a good spot over the Sooners headed into the last weekend.

G/C Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake
Official visits to Northwestern, Texas and Stanford this month will decide this recruitment. Likely a Texas vs. Stanford decision.

June 22: Upgraded to Yes with more and more buzz that Texas is the team to beat with a decision expected in July.

OG Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
A recruitment that will go the distance to December, currently. Staying close to home at end of day is still most likely, which is great news for Texas and Oklahoma. The Oklahoma official visit last weekend exceeded expectations with staff continuity being a major key.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
Texas began June in a very good spot, and now has to withstand the visits to Texas A&M to beat out the Aggies and LSU Tigers with a commitment expected before the season begins.

OT Cameron Williams, Duncanville
A Red River battle between Oklahoma and Texas is still likely barring a big upset by Oregon or Miami with a decision scheduled for July 1.

DT/E Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (AL)
The Wolverines are considered the leader after visits to Stanford, Colorado and Michigan. Texas is up next. If Nick Saban stays away, a Michigan vs. Texas battle is looking likely.

June 22: Upgraded to Yes with the Longhorns hyper focused on beating out Michigan this weekend.

EDGE/DE Derrick Brown, Texas High
Brown is headed to Baylor this weekend following an official visit to Texas Tech last weekend. An unofficial visit to Oklahoma this month is also in the rearview mirror. Brown has set July 20 as his commitment date.

ILB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha
Official visits to Texas, Michigan and Baylor are concluded. The Longhorns are the favorite from the official visit list.

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (IL)
A Texas vs. Mack Brown decision barring Michigan making a big dent this weekend.

June 22: Upgraded to Yes following a terrific official to Texas, combined with Notre Dame backing off with three LB’s committed.

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
Texas A&M has nothing left in the kitchen sink. They have prioritized Anderson, and Bryce absolutely understands how coveted he is. While Nick Saban showed Anderson why Alabama is the best program in college football last weekend and offered him the opportunity to commit, Anderson’s recruitment continues with a trip to Texas June 26-27 with the pressure squarely on the Longhorns staff. A July 4th announcement remains possible, but not a lock.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore
This weekend Harris and family will make an official visit to Alabama, and this is the one that the Texas staff has always had to worry about most. While LSU and Texas A&M had the 6-foot-0, 180-pounder on campus this month and there are connections with the Tigers, this battle still comes down to Texas vs. Nick Saban.

CB Terrence Brooks, Plano John Paul II
The official visit this weekend to Alabama is a big one with a decision expected to come down to Texas vs. Alabama barring Ohio State making a major move this week (currently at Ohio State).

June 22: Upgraded to Yes after the Longhorns knocked last weekend's OV out of the park.

Maybe:
RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy
If DeAnthony Gatson goes Texas way today, and Jaydon Blue remains in the class long term … the Longhorns would very likely be done at running back.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland
The Oklahoma decommit is leaning to SMU.

OT/G Kam Dewberry, Atascocita
Texas got Dewberry and family on campus June 11-13, and the returns have been positive. LSU and Texas A&M have received OV’s this month, and Dewberry’s favorite Ohio State gets a shot this weekend. Oklahoma will likely receive an OV during the season, and Texas could as well.

June 22: Upgraded to Maybe, but still a long ways to go on this one for the Longhorns.

OT Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek (OK)
Many think a lock to Oklahoma, and is on campus in Norman this week. Official visits to Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma State are in the books, and Texas A&M remains scheduled for this weekend.

DT Bishop Thomas, Bishop Moore (FL)
IT believes Florida State remains the favorite, but Texas still has the ability to change that. After making an official visit to Tennessee June 11-13, the Seminoles play host this weekend.

DT Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin
This recruitment is all about hanging around the rim. We shall see how long Texas A&M, Alabama, and Oklahoma hang in if this recruitment goes all the way to November/December. Bledsoe remains scheduled to unofficially visit Texas this weekend.

DT K.J. Miles (St. Peters Prep (NJ)
Miles has made official’s to Georgia Tech and Wisconsin, and will be in Austin this weekend.

OLB Harold Perkins, Cy Park
Hang around the rim recruitment. Will go the distance to December with Texas A&M, Alabama and LSU among the competitors.

June 22: Upgraded to Maybe after the June 11-13 official visit. Long ways to go in this recruitment, but the Longhorns will battle for the elite prospect.

DB Larry Turner-Gooden, Bishop Alemany (CA)
No word on if the talented defensive back could actually see the Arizona State program on fire from the plane as he made his way to Austin Monday.

June 22: Added to list.

No:
RB TreVonte’ Citizen, Lake Charles Prep (LA)
Competition is LSU, Texas A&M and Auburn. Make no mistake, Texas absolutely gave this one the best shot on the June 4-6 official visit. Stan Drayton has had Citizen at the top of his board for a while.

RB Jovantae Barnes, Desert Pines (NV)
The college world tour in June included a stop in Austin. As impressed as the explosive playmaker was with Sarkisian and the Texas offensive scheme, this one feels like a zero shot unless an official visit is scheduled during the season.

WR Shazz Preston, St. James (LA)
Hard to get on board with beating out LSU or Alabama here. Georgia also in the mix. Brother plays at Mississippi State.

WR Kevin Coleman, St. May’s (MO)
Not happening unless an official visit is set, and momentum shifts away from others.

TE Jaleel Skinner, Greer (SC)
Well, Jeff Banks has gotten the 6-foot-5, 210-pound future tight end on campus. That’s a win. Barring a major upset of Clemson, Alabama, Tim Brewster and Florida State, that’s where the winning will end on this recruitment.

OG Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (CA)
Heavy-hitter recruitment that will likely go the distance. Ohio State, USC, Alabama, etc…

OT/G Neto Umeozulu, Allen
Until there is an official visit scheduled, and taken, there is no way to see this as anything but a longer shot.

OT Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (WA)
LSU, Oklahoma and Miami have had the talented lineman on campus in June. The Tigers were considered the favorite prior to the visit to Norman last weekend.

DT Bear Alexander, Fort Worth Brewer
Texas A&M is the heavy favorite here for the former Georgia verbal. Texas got Alexander on campus this month, as has Miami.

DT Khurtiss Perry, Park Crossing (AL)
Defensive lineman from the state of Alabama coveted by Alabama and Auburn. Will be in Austin this weekend.

DT Aaron Bryant, Southhaven (MS)
Likes Georgia a lot. Texas A&M took a swing last weekend, and Texas will do the same this weekend.

DT Hero Kanu, Santa Margarita Catholic (CA via Germany)
All the heavy hitters are lining up. Impressed the Texas staff last week.

DT Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy
Until Scarlett makes his way to Austin, difficult to put much stock in this one. Texas A&M considered the favorite over Missouri and possibly Oklahoma.

DE Quency Wiggins, Madison Prep (LA)
The recent offers by LSU and Alabama were a gut punch to others. Playing in a four man front could win out here, for those following closely. Of course, Nick Saban relishes beating out LSU for Pelican State premium position prospects.

OLB Ish Harris, Pilot Point
Trending to Texas A&M. Oklahoma hosted last weekend with Texas scheduled for this weekend. Commitment schedule for July 1.

LB T.J., Dudley, Montgomery Catholic (AL)
Has made OV’s to Oregon and UCF with Texas scheduled for this weekend.

June 22: Downgraded to No until the decisions of Patton and Cheeks are known.

DB Austin Jordan, Denton Ryan
Ohio State and Oklahoma have hosted Jordan this month with the Longhorns up this weekend.

June 22: Downgraded to No until the destinations of Anderson, Harris and Brooks are known.

S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA)
The LSU verbal showed up at Texas A&M last weekend, and Texas has been working for a late June OV.

S Kamari Wilson, IMG Academy (FL)
Georgia is considered the heavy favorite here over Texas A&M, Florida and Florida State.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach on Gatson

Spoiler

Spoke to some sources this morning who indicated more confidence on the USC side. As I said yesterday, the confidence on their side gave me a lot of pause when it came to making a pick but I went ahead with it so I’ll stick on that pick. We will see what happens at noon but I’ll give some background after.

If Gatson commits to USC today, it's going to be really hard to figure out what we're doing at RB. That puts us almost back at square one, depending on how you view the situation with Blue. Miller, Citizen, and LV dude aren't happening. Jones not a take.

Either they feel a lot better about Blue than we as fans do, or they're starting to view RB more like the NFL does. Basically they're interchangeable and you just go get the best guy you can from the portal every year.

OK I just watched Gatson's tape for the first time. I like the vision - his best skill is his ability to slash his way through heavy traffic. Powerful lower half and low center of gravity make him tough to bring down. Top end speed is adequate at best. I don't remember a single highlight of him catching the ball out of the backfield which is weird. Body style and film remind me somewhat of Vondrell McGee.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

OK I just watched Gatson's tape for the first time. I like the vision - his best skill is his ability to slash his way through heavy traffic. Powerful lower half and low center of gravity make him tough to bring down. Top end speed is adequate at best. I don't remember a single highlight of him catching the ball out of the backfield which is weird. Body style and film remind me somewhat of Vondrell McGee.

I didn't watch Gatson's tape, but I just watched tape of Vondrell McGee. He kind of reminds me of a player somewhere between Priest Holmes and Hodges Mitchell.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Skinner was on his visit to Alabama over the weekend and posted this photo. Hard to top this.

E4bJkYuXwAQJaIX.jpg

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ll see your 5 national title rings and raise you one fake, non-dated national title trophy. 

Screen_Shot_2018_02_28_at_5.14.34_PM.png

Hey! The Aggies won not one but two, TWO!, national championships in football in the course of a single SUMMER while Nick was coaching in Alabama! Let Saban put that in his pipe and smoke it!

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

the hearts as eyes emoji is a really weird reaction for a sports board full of middle aged men talking about 18 year old boys.

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

So is a drool

I know I will conjure this up again, regretably, but the drool is better than constant erection reports in response to tweets about recruits. 

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I know I will conjure this up again, regretably, but the drool is better than constant erection reports in response to tweets about recruits. 

I thought there was never a bad time for an erection.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach on Devon Campbell

He’s trying to set up an unofficial visit for the weekend to Texas. His uncle was originally going to take him but isn’t available. He’s working on another ride as his head coach might head down to meet with the staff. I’ll keep y’all updated.

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.06bd9d539d774c84aa96d4b201d852e1.png

I watched Miller's tape this morning as well and liked it better than Gatson's (duh). Miller's best skill is his burst, which is pretty dang good. Very different running style from Gatson - Miller likes to be patient waiting for his blockers to set up and then explode through the hole. Consequently it takes him a bit longer to get headed north and south than Gatson, but he'll be much more likely to hit home runs. Top end speed is also very good, better than Gatson. He can catch as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Uncle strikes again. One of my nephews is starting football in middle school this fall. Seems like it could be a good opportunity for some extra cash in a few years.

You should start taking him on visits now to get the pump primed. 

(Mike Roach) What I know about the DeAnthony Gatson situation

Spoiler

Here are some of the pieces to the puzzle of the DeAnthony Gatson situation...

1) Coming off of his official visit, we had been given indications Gatson gave a silent commit to Texas. Others on the trip and several sources in Austin all got the feeling he was theirs if they wanted him. At the time, I was dubious that they'd take a commitment considering they still had several other backs coming in.

2) When the visit was canceled for Tavorus Jones, he was told they had two running backs in this class. I spoke to sources in Austin over the weekend about Gatson and was told they felt good about where things stood with him and their chances to close despite USC's feeling of confidence. This tells me that Gatson was the second piece to the puzzle in their mind.

3) In talking to several sources about the situation, I've heard a mixed bag of stories. The one coming from Gatson's camp is that there was some hesitancy when he initially gave his silent on the side of Texas to accept it and only lately did they really push for a commitment (after his USC trip). That's only one side of the story, so I'll have to get more before I really know what happened, but if that's the case it seems like a miscalculation with the Jones visit.

4) In the end, Texas will likely land a solid RB2 if they want one, but this has been a strange recruitment over the last few weeks. Sources in Newton and Austin felt it would ultimately end up Texas until this morning when the winds began to change.

Just now, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Here are some of the pieces to the puzzle of the DeAnthony Gatson situation...

1) Coming off of his official visit, we had been given indications Gatson gave a silent commit to Texas. Others on the trip and several sources in Austin all got the feeling he was theirs if they wanted him. At the time, I was dubious that they'd take a commitment considering they still had several other backs coming in.

2) When the visit was canceled for Tavorus Jones, he was told they had two running backs in this class. I spoke to sources in Austin over the weekend about Gatson and was told they felt good about where things stood with him and their chances to close despite USC's feeling of confidence. This tells me that Gatson was the second piece to the puzzle in their mind.

3) In talking to several sources about the situation, I've heard a mixed bag of stories. The one coming from Gatson's camp is that there was some hesitancy when he initially gave his silent on the side of Texas to accept it and only lately did they really push for a commitment (after his USC trip). That's only one side of the story, so I'll have to get more before I really know what happened, but if that's the case it seems like a miscalculation with the Jones visit.

4) In the end, Texas will likely land a solid RB2 if they want one, but this has been a strange recruitment over the last few weeks. Sources in Newton and Austin felt it would ultimately end up Texas until this morning when the winds began to change.

Kind of confusing.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sources in Newton and Austin felt it would ultimately end up Texas until this morning when the winds began to change.

Hide contents

Hasn't everyone been sure it was USC for over a a week. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting