Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

Not even the best in and around campus. Wingzup in Hancock Center shits all over Pluckers.

Glad that place is still around, love their smoked wings and sauces.  They tend to hire hipsters that don’t shower as servers though.  

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Don’t want to waste an official if he’s not serious about possibly flipping. Makes a lot of sense. Same reason we didn’t bring in Jones we wouldn’t take his commitment so don’t waste the OV. 

Edited by utfan87
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's why I'm just thinking about figuring out maybe when I want to panic, not full on ready to channel Satya yet.  I guess I'd have a lot more faith if I thought we were going to use this NIL to it's fullest potential, but I see tweets like "it's illegal to coordinate" and I think- that's like a parking ticket only if parking enforcement was never done.

You should definitely start panicking. Channel your internal Satya. Let your pussy gush with the juices of anxiety and trepidation. Embrace the bitchassedness. Let it flow through you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wells

Spoiler

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX) - 2022:

Before his arrival, Texas was already in a good spot with the 6-foot-5, 300-pound five-star composite. Afterwards, you could say it’s even better.

“It was really good,” said Banks. “We had a great time. My family really enjoyed (Texas staff) a lot. Especially my mom. Christian (Jones) and the players were very cool. Really enjoyed hanging out with them.”

Banks is the quintessential offensive tackle prospect, and despite the versatility to slide inside to guard if needed, UT likes him on the outside.

What stood out about his return trip to Austin?

“Standing out the most was probably being able to get a good feel for the coaches and staff,” Banks said. “It had been so long (since seeing UT) and felt great to be back.”

The message from Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood was straightforward and to the point.

“(Texas) wants to make sure I do what’s best for me and to make sure I know that I am have a home at Texas,” said Banks.

After his Texas A&M official visit this weekend, Banks hopes to have a better feel for his future destination.

DB Larry Turner-Gooden, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) - 2022

The Arizona State commit took an unofficial to UT on Monday and Tuesday. At 6-foot, 175 pounds, the four-star with 31 offers including Alabama, OU, Miami, Michigan, and Georgia.

Turner-Gooden made his way to Austin and even worked out in the camp setting. The Cali-bred athlete has been talking to the UT coaches for months, and planned this trip a few weeks back.

Texas feels like they have a shot to flip the four-star safety, and people in Turner-Gooden’s camp are open-minded about the process. We'll catch up with him as soon as he leaves Austin, but hearing he'll be back in the fall for the Oklahoma State game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought that was pretty minimal hand wringing. I'm just a dabbler at recruiting. I understand it from a program health standpoint and it's importance to us, but I just can't throw myself into it as I'm spread thin with other responsibilities.  So, I'm just checking in from time to time to see how it's going.  

What this is really about is my dad follows the recruiting with fervor and he always tells me what we are up to on that count.  With him catatonic in the hospital I am both 1) missing my updates and 2) Looking for things to tell him that are going on that will put a smile on his face. 

Tell your dad to keep finessin because it’s almost Malikmas and your erection is at a Level 6 since we just got 5 elite recruits from Florida who will surely elevate the program and we’re getting errrbody as long as we guessed right on Higs’ lotto numbers, Wickline quits calling our top OL recruits fatasses, Chris Rumph lays enough pipe with recruits’ moms, Chris Vaughn can get some SAT numbers up, and Charlie can remember the QB’s name.  

Oh, and if he knows a good Spanish tutor, we have a guy who really wants to play at Texas if he can just pass one pesky little Spanish class. 

It will surely take your dad back to a time when he was feeling better. Not about the program of course, but personally. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Tell your dad to keep finessin because it’s almost Malikmas and your erection is at a Level 6 since we just got 5 elite recruits from Florida who will surely elevate the program and we’re getting errrbody as long as we guessed right on Higs’ lotto numbers, Wickline quits calling our top OL recruits fatasses, Chris Rumph lays enough pipe with recruits’ moms, Chris Vaughn can get some SAT numbers up, and Charlie can remember the QB’s name.  

Oh, and if he knows a good Spanish tutor, we have a guy who really wants to play at Texas if he can just pass one pesky little Spanish class. 

It will surely take your dad back to a time when he was feeling better. Not about the program of course, but personally. 

I asked him who the head coach was and he said Charlie Strong. Poor bastard. 

3 hours ago, cafe society said:

Cross posting but the Burnt Orange just sent the Dreamsicles home from Omaha.  

It's sorta funny in a CSB sort of way. Years ago I went up to Steamboat Springs in the summer with a friend who has a place up there. He introduced my to a local who had a Tennessee cap on. He made some innocuous joke about Tennessee and Texas.

I responded that there probably wouldn't be a Texas if not for Tennessee. Maybe I was wearing a Texas cap, but he said something about the "real UT in Knoxville. And that color orange, it's not as great as ours. Ours you can-"  I cut him off:

"See from space?" To his credit, he cracked up. Just a fun exchange.

The funny part is how I've never even considered Tennessee when saying UT. I haven't felt like we were competing to be the real UT. 

Here, he'd actually thought about it and thought to talk about it. My thought:

spacer.png

First game I really remember watching was Texas crushing Tennessee in the '69 Cotton Bowl as part of the 30 game streak.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's sorta funny in a CSB sort of way. Years ago I went up to Steamboat Springs in the summer with a friend who has a place up there. He introduced my to a local who had a Tennessee cap on. He made some innocuous joke about Tennessee and Texas.

I responded that there probably wouldn't be a Texas if not for Tennessee. Maybe I was wearing a Texas cap, but he said something about the "real UT in Knoxville. And that color orange, it's not as great as ours. Ours you can-"  I cut him off:

The funny part is how I've never even considered Tennessee when saying UT. I haven't felt like we were competing to be the real UT. 

spacer.png

First game I really remember watching was Texas crushing Tennessee in the '69 Cotton Bowl as part of the 30 game streak.

That was the first Horns bowl game I attended.  I was 9 and it was so cold the punters each seemed to avg about 25 per kick.   Tennessee was the favorite, I believe.  It was never a contest.  We kicked the living shit out of them.

• Hook 'Em 4

Gerry:

Inside Texas has been informed that four-star defensive tackle Jaray Bledsoe still plans to make an unofficial visit to Texas this weekend. The 6-foot-4, 280-pounder with an elite frame and quickness for his size finishes summer school Thursday, and will head to Austin Thursday night or Friday morning.

This will be the first June visit for Bledsoe. OV's in the fall are expected to Texas, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and possibly LSU.

• Hook 'Em 8

The Bledsoe recruitment may be one we can win, especially if his only unofficial for this month is to us.  Doesn't seem like any of the $9.95ers know much on this recruitment as he only has a Perroni aggy pick on 247 and two Rivals picks to OU.

May also need to make sure he has all his stuff in order with grades and he's also gone from Marlin to Bremond and back to Marlin.  Haven't watched his hudl, but would think he completely dominates playing at the 2a level with his ranking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

I watched that game.  For all their games both home and away, Tennessee wore orange jerseys with white numerals. Since Texas was the home team wearing burnt orange, Cotton Bowl officials thought it would be too confusing with both teams wearing orange jerseys (albeit different shades of orange) and Tennessee had to have new jerseys made for the ‘69 Cotton Bowl….white jerseys with orange numerals.

Edited by Harrison Stafford
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here's to hoping Anderson's 7-on-7 team gets done early Saturday.  Technically he could stay until midnight Sunday right?

Hobbit's gonna be texting the hell out of Anderson during his visit.  Wish there was a way to scramble signals once they enter the locker room but that wouldn't allow recruits to advertise to the world their excitement at being at Texas.  But really, piss off lil bros. Just like their coach, they gotta look up to erebody.  

Mike at Night: Notes on elite Texas targets and where the Longhorns look at running back

Spoiler

— Texas is working to get five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell on campus for an unofficial visit this weekend. I caught up with the athletic big man earlier today at Bowie's summer strength and conditioning workout, and he's coming off a trip to Oklahoma that went well for the Sooners. Oklahoma invited most of their former players back and Campbell spent a lot of time with NFL star and former Sooner Trent Williams. The two talked quite a bit and exchanged phone numbers as Campbell plans to do some training with him. Thus far, Campbell has used two official visits with USC and Oklahoma already in the books. He's looking to save three official visits for the fall. He doesn't know where they will all be, but Texas will for sure get one. In the meantime, Campbell wants to get back to Austin if he can. If you recall, the five-star prospect made several self-guided visits in the spring and has been able to connect with some players. He really wanted to return this weekend but he's having issues securing a ride. His uncle, who usually transports him to colleges, is going to be out of town and his mother has to work. Bowie head coach Joseph Sam was already planning to head to Austin to meet the staff and see his close friend Chris Gilbert, so a ride might be able to work out there. We'll keep you updated throughout the week.

— When I talked to Campbell today, he said he still speaks to Texas quite often. His two main links to the recruitment are Gilbert and Kyle Flood, but he also speaks with Jeff Banks and Steve Sarkisian on a regular basis. I was told Texas speaks with him several times a week in some form or fashion and wants to make it known how much of a priority he is for them. USC was able to make an impression during their visit, but I still think this likely comes down to a Red River battle between Texas and Oklahoma. The Sooners will be tough, but I still like where Texas stands here.

— Texas missed out on Newton running back DeAnthony Gatson today. I've already laid out what I know about what happened, but I wanted to focus tonight's column on where things go from here. Texas already hosted TreVonte' Citizen, and there hasn't been a lot of chatter about him since that time. Texas also told Tavorus Jones not to come to Austin this past weekend because they had a commitment from a second back already (presumably Gatson). Where does that leave things? Texas is still pushing for Tyler Legacy's Jamarion Miller, but they haven't found much traction there. Elite IMG Academy RB Kaytron Allen is expected to be in Austin this week, but Texas is a bit behind there and will be battling some of the top programs in the country. Las Vegas back Jovantae Barnes recently visited, but I haven't heard enough there to make me think that Texas would be the pick as of now. Texas has remained in contact with OU commit Raleek Brown and I've been told a visit could materialize there at some point. Perhaps Oklahoma State commit Ollie Gordon would be an option. One guy I really like is electric speed back Rayshon Luke from St. John Bosco. Whatever the case is, Texas will have to go back to the drawing board if they want a second back in this class.

— Texas hosted two major tight end prospects this week in 2022 Greer (SC) TE Jaleel Skinner and 2023 Folsom (Calif.) TE TE Walker Lyons. I haven't been able to reach Skinner yet, but was told by sources they feel Texas had a good showing with him. The Longhorns are hoping to get him back in the fall for an official visit. With Lyons, I was told the visit went extremely well. Lyons told 247Sports that he can tell he's a huge priority for Jeff Banks in the 2023 class. While it seems like he enjoyed himself and will certainly hold Texas in high regard, I'm told Stanford will be tough to top for him.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: Notes on elite Texas targets and where the Longhorns look at running back

Hide contents

— Texas is working to get five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell on campus for an unofficial visit this weekend. I caught up with the athletic big man earlier today at Bowie's summer strength and conditioning workout, and he's coming off a trip to Oklahoma that went well for the Sooners. Oklahoma invited most of their former players back and Campbell spent a lot of time with NFL star and former Sooner Trent Williams. The two talked quite a bit and exchanged phone numbers as Campbell plans to do some training with him. Thus far, Campbell has used two official visits with USC and Oklahoma already in the books. He's looking to save three official visits for the fall. He doesn't know where they will all be, but Texas will for sure get one. In the meantime, Campbell wants to get back to Austin if he can. If you recall, the five-star prospect made several self-guided visits in the spring and has been able to connect with some players. He really wanted to return this weekend but he's having issues securing a ride. His uncle, who usually transports him to colleges, is going to be out of town and his mother has to work. Bowie head coach Joseph Sam was already planning to head to Austin to meet the staff and see his close friend Chris Gilbert, so a ride might be able to work out there. We'll keep you updated throughout the week.

— When I talked to Campbell today, he said he still speaks to Texas quite often. His two main links to the recruitment are Gilbert and Kyle Flood, but he also speaks with Jeff Banks and Steve Sarkisian on a regular basis. I was told Texas speaks with him several times a week in some form or fashion and wants to make it known how much of a priority he is for them. USC was able to make an impression during their visit, but I still think this likely comes down to a Red River battle between Texas and Oklahoma. The Sooners will be tough, but I still like where Texas stands here.

— Texas missed out on Newton running back DeAnthony Gatson today. I've already laid out what I know about what happened, but I wanted to focus tonight's column on where things go from here. Texas already hosted TreVonte' Citizen, and there hasn't been a lot of chatter about him since that time. Texas also told Tavorus Jones not to come to Austin this past weekend because they had a commitment from a second back already (presumably Gatson). Where does that leave things? Texas is still pushing for Tyler Legacy's Jamarion Miller, but they haven't found much traction there. Elite IMG Academy RB Kaytron Allen is expected to be in Austin this week, but Texas is a bit behind there and will be battling some of the top programs in the country. Las Vegas back Jovantae Barnes recently visited, but I haven't heard enough there to make me think that Texas would be the pick as of now. Texas has remained in contact with OU commit Raleek Brown and I've been told a visit could materialize there at some point. Perhaps Oklahoma State commit Ollie Gordon would be an option. One guy I really like is electric speed back Rayshon Luke from St. John Bosco. Whatever the case is, Texas will have to go back to the drawing board if they want a second back in this class.

— Texas hosted two major tight end prospects this week in 2022 Greer (SC) TE Jaleel Skinner and 2023 Folsom (Calif.) TE TE Walker Lyons. I haven't been able to reach Skinner yet, but was told by sources they feel Texas had a good showing with him. The Longhorns are hoping to get him back in the fall for an official visit. With Lyons, I was told the visit went extremely well. Lyons told 247Sports that he can tell he's a huge priority for Jeff Banks in the 2023 class. While it seems like he enjoyed himself and will certainly hold Texas in high regard, I'm told Stanford will be tough to top for him.

I'm gonna be honest, what if people are looking at this wrong, and we did have a second back committed... the transfer from Bama? Doesn't have have 3 to play 3?

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here's to hoping Anderson's 7-on-7 team gets done early Saturday.  Technically he could stay until midnight Sunday right?

If he sticks to his July 4th timeline that benefits us because he set it knowing he was going to Texas. Don’t let aggy change the narrative about wanting to commit before jumbo leaves 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting