Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I may be wrong on this but if I were the UT president or chancellor, I would tell our boosters that we are going to need their help to sign few kids in each class. It doesn't have to be for all the kids in the class but perhaps the top 5-6 guys that are on the fence and getting attractive offers elsewhere.

Then someone in our recruiting department should tell those recruits he/she is confident our boosters can match or exceed any other deals they might get elsewhere. "If you love Texas, don't go to that other school hoping for more money. You get to stay close to home and make as much money." Get a soft commitment from the recruit contingent on Texas being able to offer a similar or better deal.

Then the recruiting coordinator guy calls one of the boosters to tell him/her who the target recruit is and what kind of deal we would need to land him.

If you create several layers in between, then you have plausible deniability in case you get caught. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The last paragraph is a key point.  The elephant in the room is that there has to be at least some minimal level of coordination for this to work.   Not just guidance on how to do it, but guidance on who to do it with.   It doesn’t do any good to have boosters working on deals for Cade Klubnik when we’re going after Malik Murphy instead.  And it’s also not good, for either donor relations or the team morale itself, if deals get lined up for one guy and then the coaches bury him on the depth chart behind dudes who aren’t making much.  The money men need to know who’s important and who isn’t.  

I’m not really sure how you do that within the rules, but it’s going to be an issue.   Schools with established bag networks have already figured out how to deal with this (whether within the rules or not), but we apparently haven’t and we need to come up with something that allows the booster to feel comfortable the money is flowing to the right places.

Idk shit but this seems true for recruiting and a lot of boosters. But for businesses wanting legit sponsors, isn't picking the right endorser just part of marketing? There are never guarantees your athlete is gonna start, stay out of trouble, etc. So I wouldn't think you need quite as much coordination to get that going. Just gotta raise awareness that this exists and show them how to go through the process, then let them decide who and how much to pay.

That said, at the end of the day I also don't know how much of the total NIL value ends up being fans/boosters vs. businesses doing real marketing. I would think both can be material though and the latter is what really separates UT from places like Aggy that have plenty of boosters but no real local business presence.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

There are so many poorly drawn conclusions, bad takes, tedious lamentations, and misinformed accusations on this thread that it's hard to fucking keep up with anything right now. And that doesn't even include the one guy showing up to tell us all that he's about make $50million in a SPAC. Bizarre.

Just fucking stop for a minute. Christ. All of the low energy, low information whining of "won't somebody please do something!!!" as it pertains to NIL, from people not actually doing something, isn't helpful. 

A group of us have been working on a better understanding of NIL and Texas. What is it? What can and can't be done? How does the process work? What's the optimal solution? What can be done now? Etc. We've pulled together resources if someone is serious about learning more and not going to post or pass shit randomly on. This goes beyond the semi-anonymity of a bulletin board.

We've come far enough along that I can at least provide some informed thoughts and some direction. @immamac is going to provide a resource center or marketplace to help out. Here's the net-net ahead of that.

1) There's interest in building something long term that could bring players and money together every year into perpetuity. We've built up damned near a completed business plan on it and it's circulating beyond this board. The big problem is, someone would need to run it. They'd need to have a history of operating a company, experience, preferably, with UT and the AD, and a start-up background/connections. They'd also need to be an extrovert because of the nature of the beast on this one. I can't do it. I'm way out over my skis right now taking on other stuff and this is tipping me into a tumble if I go any further. Got a blueprint for someone who could do it, and likely access to capital, to boot. DM me if you know someone that might be a fit. Otherwise, this sits on the shelf until potentially forever, which is fine, I guess.

2) In the meantime, other shit can be done, leveraging the creative work and research that's already been done and some of it is just waiting there to be taken. Here's the thinking:

A) Agencies are entering the fray. Sports agencies and agents, marketing and ad agencies, you name it. They're more or less necessary. Sports agencies are building marketing arms, and they'll take care of the big names, but less than a sure thing is likely left in the cold. Hudson Card has an agent already. Montana Fouts has an agent. The big names aren't the worry. Anyway, we have access to an agency that anyone here could use. If you want to get money to players in any form, we could do that right now. We have boilerplate influencer/sponsor contracts, teams with digital, event & PR, social media, branding, etc., expertise. Feel free DM me. 

B) The process is as follows: company/entity reaches out to player directly, makes an offer and tenders a contract. Players signs contract. Contract goes through compliance. If approved, player lives up to deal in the contract and the player gets paid. If the nonsense with compliance gets fixed, this is all fine. The premise of the program trying to claim that burnt orange is in scope of what's off-limits is utter fucking bullshit and anyone claiming that up to Plonsky and Crystal Conte should be fucking fired if they attempt to continue to parrot that. Fucking wrong. 

C) Autographs don't have to go through compliance. Anyone can organically provide something for a player to sign and the player can then get paid. This is protected in the state legislation. So, if you take a napkin, or a jersey, or a woman in a tank top up to a player and pay him $1 or $1million to sign the napkin, jersey, or woman's cleavage, you can do it. 

D) There are over 50 use cases we've already worked through. We want to start putting them to use and show the credibility of them in action. We have access to players on every team within the Texas realm. We can reach whoever we need. If folks want to do something, let's discuss. Feel free to DM me.

E) Opendorse is trash and will take 15% of any deal conducted through it. The UT leadership in athletics sending players there to fend for themselves is fucking negligent and someone should be fired for their insouciance. There is nothing there for us or players to leverage. Ignore it as a resource or hope. 

F) A major recruitment right now has some ability to be influenced with NIL at Texas if something gets done. Specifically to the point about it not being an issue for Hudson Card or Bijan Robinson, both of whom will make well into the 6 figures this fall (this is confirmed), it's about other positions. In this case, if DBs at Texas are making bank, that puts the Texas NIL argument for this signing period up against anyone for at least one key target Texas is in danger of losing. 

Other entities are going to do what they can as well. Surly is working on something and mac or @RGBIII can feel free to elaborate. But yeah, pass the word, pass around the hat, whatever, shit can get done asap if people want to put their money where their mouths/keyboards have been up to now. DM me, DM @SydneyCarton, happy to help or point in directions. 

Sydney can post more on types of NIL use cases that anyone here can explore and we should. I'm tired of typing. 

Lots of words but it has no chance of getting off the ground. I lol'd when i read the part where you said, "all we need is for someone to run it."  That's the key part, isn't it? Are you incorporating it as a for profit or non-profit? If it's a for profit, then what actual business would it engage in? Perhaps you have a better chance as a non-profit but then again it would be sketchy and eventually get in trouble with IRS. 

You don't need to form a business to do this. Forming a business would attract more scrutiny and you would eventually subject yourself to an audit and all the fun that comes with it.

3 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Lots of words but it has no chance of getting off the ground. I lol'd when i read the part where you said, "all we need is for someone to run it."  That's the key part, isn't it? Are you incorporating it as a for profit or non-profit? If it's a for profit, then what actual business would it engage in? Perhaps you have a better chance as a non-profit but then again it would be sketchy and eventually get in trouble with IRS. 

You don't need to form a business to do this. Forming a business would attract more scrutiny and you would eventually subject yourself to an audit and all the fun that comes with it.

You’re a fucking idiot. That much is clear. So much so breaking down your post is a waste of fucking time so I won’t bother doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about, nor who you're posting to. Instead of acting like such an expert, stick around and watch what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about, nor who you're posting to. Instead of acting like such an expert, stick around and watch what happens. 

I will stick around and watch. I am telling you it won't come to life because of too many things to list here. We can revisit the topic at a later time. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TenCarryTom said:

So if Bryce does commit to us, are we gonna act like this meltdown never happened?

No. This meltdown is warranted and timely. We need a serious wake up call. Theres a reason we have sucked dick on the field for so long. Elite OL and DL are the scarce resources everyone has to fight over, and we have barely been in that fight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Part of the short term NIL issue is dealing with the sense of unfairness regarding student athletes for non revenue sports within the athletic department. This shit goes all the way back to Donna Lopiano. I appreciate the efforts by people who know how to get shit done to turn this around from outside the AD office. 

Texas will never be nationally relevant in football or men's basketball - and arguably many other sports - unless they figure out how to be ultra successful with NIL. That competitive pressure will eventually force changes, but there should be a greater sense of urgency than the athletic department is currently providing. I have confidence in Chris Beard to do whatever it takes to get shit done. No offense to Sark, but the confidence isn't at the same level there.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don't agree, but no, not sydney. closetojumping is who the truly inane response was to.

Don't get worked up by my response, my dude. The effort is admirable. I am telling you as a former VC and current entrepreneur, this plan has a lot of pitfalls. It also will present a lot of risk to whoever runs it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Don't get worked up by my response, my dude. The effort is admirable. I am telling you as a former VC and current entrepreneur, this plan has a lot of pitfalls. It also will present a lot of risk to whoever runs it.

Do you have any ideas then or what you said before?

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

So do you have any insight into what's happening or how to do things?

I'm more worthless than a turd on a frog's ass. 

But I do know to get something done in the face of hand wringing and bureaucratic pass the buck style management, it takes a William Wallace of midgets to get something done. And something absolutely needs to be done. It's not like there's no leadership within UT. The move to the SEC is all about future relevancy in an age when the players are paid, there's no transfer rules, there's no enforcement mechanism, and the only schools left at the top level are the best funded who are willing to break the bank to keep up with the Joneses. I keep reading about how it's to expand UT's bottom line, and that's about the most idiotic take ever. It's about having some kind of seat at the table in the New Brave World of college sports. 

And the NIL piece is the absolutely most important piece of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Isn’t Eric Nahlin a UT fan? Why doesn’t IT do what Texags did? Pay for interviews. (I can’t believe OB, out of all the sites is doing this)

And Pinkertons BBQ. Isn’t that guy a UT grad, does he have UT players advertising for him
Or whatever.

And what happened to that one nurse on surly who made 6 figures lulz. He could be doing something.

The only thing I can offer are PS5’s. Or I can at least make a better PowerPoint than crystal. Maybe UM saw the PowerPoint and decided to go with the jags. Lol. I would donate something monthly. This is getting embarrassing. PLAY THE FUCKING GAME TEXAS. PAY THE FUCKING GAME.

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

Isn’t Eric Nahlin a UT fan? Why doesn’t IT do what Texags did? Pay for interviews. (I can’t believe OB, out of all the sites is doing this)

And Pinkertons BBQ. Isn’t that guy a UT grad, does he have UT players advertising for him
Or whatever.

And what happened to that one nurse on surly who made 6 figures lulz. He could be doing something.

The only thing I can offer are PS5’s. Or I can at least make a better PowerPoint than crystal. Maybe UM saw the PowerPoint and decided to go with the jags. Lol. I would donate something monthly. This is getting embarrassing. PLAY THE FUCKING GAME TEXAS. PAY THE FUCKING GAME.

robert eggers patience GIF

28 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Wow.  Now this is a blast from the past.  Welcome

Aren’t you the poster who tried to make out with Katie agnor at the baylor 2015 tailgate?

I miss PHXHorn and his lewd and lascivious women of Carefree, AZ.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Whoa.   Blast from the past.  I’m glad you survived dining with EJ Holland without shanking yourself, which is what I assumed had happened.

Beard sticks out like a sore thumb, in a good way, compared to almost everyone else employed by the University in our major sports since about 2006 precisely because he has that sense of urgency.  I don’t have any real connections, so maybe I’m wrong, but it’s been a fairly shocking wake up call to see the contrast between someone who is proactive and relentless like Beard and … well, everyone else I’m used to following at Texas.   I don’t know how complacency ever became such an ingrained part of our culture, but it seems to ensnare most people who come to play school at UT.

fifme

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

No. This meltdown is warranted and timely. We need a serious wake up call. Theres a reason we have sucked dick on the field for so long. Elite OL and DL are the scarce resources everyone has to fight over, and we have barely been in that fight. 

Well its a good thing Surly woke up, we're saved

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Whoa.   Blast from the past.  I’m glad you survived dining with EJ Holland without shanking yourself, which is what I assumed had happened.

Beard sticks out like a sore thumb, in a good way, compared to almost everyone else employed by the University in our major sports since about 2006 precisely because he has that sense of urgency.  It’s been a fairly shocking wake up call to see the contrast between someone who is proactive and relentless like Beard and … well, everyone else I’m used to following at Texas.  I don’t have any real connections, so maybe I’m wrong about our culture, but it seems that complacency is ingrained somehow and able to ensnare most people who come to work at UT.

Or basketball already had the infrastructure in place to pay for recruits since we've been doing it for a decade now.

• Hook 'Em 3

Reading this “recruiting thread” I’m really sensing deja vu from the last 8 years. How many times did we hear “coach just needs to change x and win some games”? Sean Watson, et al. “Simplify the defense …”, etc. Fucking coach needs to get rid of his friends and everything will be great! Now we’re heading into a totally different jungle and I wouldn’t be so sure this team doesn’t start 0-2.

First game under a new coach against an “underdog” confident team followed by a road game to Fayettenam where these kids have no idea the hate against them. Maybe I’m just a pussy or am so used to disappointment that I’m afraid to hope again.

Deep down I think we’ll be undefeated going into the Cotton Bowl but I believe I’ve expected that the last 8 years. Finally resigned myself to never seeing the Cowboys eclipse what I saw growing up from the 70s but I really don’t want that feeling for the Horns.

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Good take here. Although when you have a good OL and DL but no elite receivers (and a mediocre QB), you definitely realize the importance of those positions.

I may be wrong on this but if I were the UT president or chancellor, I would tell our boosters that we are going to need their help to sign few kids in each class. It doesn't have to be for all the kids in the class but perhaps the top 5-6 guys that are on the fence and getting attractive offers elsewhere.
Then someone in our recruiting department should tell those recruits he/she is confident our boosters can match or exceed any other deals they might get elsewhere. "If you love Texas, don't go to that other school hoping for more money. You get to stay close to home and make as much money." Get a soft commitment from the recruit contingent on Texas being able to offer a similar or better deal.
Then the recruiting coordinator guy calls one of the boosters to tell him/her who the target recruit is and what kind of deal we would need to land him.
If you create several layers in between, then you have plausible deniability in case you get caught. 

Wow. You’ve got it all figured out. What a novel fucking idea.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting