Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The worst-case scenario is taking an OOS QB that has barely thrown a single games worth of passes in his high school career to this point, and he's not done it very well.  It's a very high floor endeavor. 

The low-floor endeavor is take one of the scores of in-state QBs that has already thrown for thousands of yards and has an excellent completion % and TD/INT ratio.  

Floor - The worst a player could end up being

Ceiling - The best a player could end up being

Low Floor - This player has the potential to be completely shitty

High Floor - This player won't ever be terrible.

Low Ceiling - This player might not ever be NFL all-pro caliber

High Ceiling - Has the potential to be an NFL all-pro

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Guys improve dramatically in speed and quickness between their sophomore and senior years. I would wait until new tape comes out before coming to a conclusion.

That is true of players who are getting reps during that time frame. I hope Murphy is training a lot, because nothing really compares to snaps in a game. 

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I have my doubts about the dogma that Murphy is nonathletic. He last played football as a sophomore. Guys improve dramatically in speed and quickness between their sophomore and senior years. I would wait until new tape comes out before coming to a conclusion.

Standing backflip at his size makes me think there's got to be some functional athleticism that's more impressive than Nahlin's write-up suggests. But maybe not. Guess we'll get a better idea in the spring

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Lastly, Hudson Card had no game film with the exception of like 1 game when we took his commitment.  It was all based on how he performed in camps and from the people coaching him. 

This is a good point, Card had 82 passing attempts total when we took his commitment. Different staff and all but it's not all that weird to evaluate a HS qb using camps and coaches before they have a ton of game film. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Very mixed feelings on Murphy. The guy has zero high school success to point to which is highly concerning. He's clearly raw and sounds like not mobile which is big in college. Lack of mobility shows up a lot more in games than camp settings.

On the other hand, Sark is prioritizing him alongside only Ewers and Klubnik, and he's got an elite offer list including Bama, UGA, fOSU, LSU, Auburn, USC, Florida Oregon...basically everyone except Clemson. Better list than Klubnik. So clearly coaches nationwide see something. 247 has BoB as a Bama recruiter for him which I assume means they're still recruiting him. Counterpoint to this: his alleged top 5 is underwhelming which calls into question how many of those offers are serious.

I'm not too concerned about the image of an OOS guy. We gave Ewers and Klubnik their shot and would/should likely still take either one in addition to Murphy. Murphy also sounds like a good kid who players like so could have a positive impact on his own.

Ultimately, hard to doubt Sark when it comes to the QB position.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I've seen Arch Manning casually mentioned on here for weeks. Is there ANY connection at all between the Manning family and Texas or Sark? The idea that Texas would be a player for him seems completely out of left field to me.

We were really close to signing Eli Manning, before he ended up at Ole Miss.

Biddle update from OU 247 with 2 new CB in OU's favor ::

First off, Texas' pursuit of Biddle has all but fizzled out. He informed me that ever since Steve Sarkisian took the reins in Austin and overhauled the staff, his communication with the Longhorns has dwindled. That's significant, as UT was heretofore considered the leader for Biddle's commitment. In fact, the Longhorns received a crystal ball for Biddle from 247Sports Texas insider Mike Roach all the way back in July 2020. That could be an indication that Texas is zeroing in on the likes of Xavier Nwankpa or Landon Hullaby, or it could simply be an indication that new defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski just doesn't see Biddle as a fit for his system. One way or another, it is abundantly clear that Texas isn't the leader in the clubhouse as far as this recruitment is concerned.

One school for which Biddle has developed a fast affinity is Michigan. The Wolverines offered the four-star safety little more than a week ago, on Jan. 30. However, the staff has evidently made a significant impression on Biddle, and based on the totality of my conversation with him, I'd say that as of now, the Wolverines are the one program best positioned to challenge Oklahoma.

However, there are a couple things working distinctly in Oklahoma's favor. The first and most obvious is the fact that Biddle's teammate, four-star WR Jordan Hudson, is already committed to Oklahoma. Biddle acknowledged that he and Hudson are "very close," and that Hudson's pledge to OU is a definite factor. Additionally, Alex Grinch has taken the lead in the Sooners' recruitment of Biddle, which appears to have paid dividends.

"He's great," Biddle said of Grinch. "He's an absolutely great guy, and it goes beyond football."

After my chat with Biddle, I feel strongly that the Sooners are in the driver's seat. Biddle told me that he has no timeline for his commitment; he could pull the trigger at any time. As I mentioned previously, Michigan is the sleeper here, but when I asked Biddle which factor matters the most to him in his decision, his answer was relationships. He's expressed that he has strong bonds with Hudson, Grinch and Lincoln Riley. Thus, reading between the lines a bit, I've entered a moderate-confidence crystal ball in favor of Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The worst-case scenario is taking an OOS QB that has barely thrown a single games worth of passes in his high school career to this point, and he's not done it very well.  It's a very high floor endeavor. 

The low-floor endeavor is take one of the scores of in-state QBs that has already thrown for thousands of yards and has an excellent completion % and TD/INT ratio.  

You're mixing up your floors and ceilings, amigo.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Well, I went from pretty excited about Murphy to pretty bummed. Thanks guys. 

I wouldn't be bummed. They're shooting the moon for with the guy with a cannon and unteachable traits versus taking a guy with more average tools but high school success and polish like Klubnik. Just different priorities.

The staff has balls if nothing else.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Zero TDs sophomore year and no junior year? Did that camp video of him throwing earn him that recruiting ranking? 

"He played in five games as a sophomore battling through injury and backing up a Group of 5 signee. Murphy completed 44.8% of his attempts (26 of 58) for 305 yards and no touchdowns with two interceptions."

Most QB rankings/hype/bullshit are based off of camp performances.

Just now, Foosters said:

So the take this morning is that Murphy, despite having years of private instruction, is slow, unathletic, has terrible mechanics, has poor pocket presence, and is a "raw" talent?

tl;dr version - He's Tyrone Swoopes 2.0 and is going to fall like a rock in the rankings. 

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

31 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Murphy has clearly been a kid in the camp system in Cali for a while.  He's been working with trainers and QB coaches since he was in middle school probably.  I believe his rating has to do with him out performing his peers in the camp settings and based on what the people that have coached and trained him are saying. ^^^

^^^ He's a five star because he was doing this at 12 years old

He could end up a top ten prospect or a low four star depending on how his fall season goes. And nobody has any clue about it. Personally I'm for taking him now. If he kills it this fall and ends up the #2 QB behind Ewers, every school in the country would start pushing aggressively. Let's get him in when it's easy.

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So the take this morning is that Murphy, despite having years of private instruction, is slow, unathletic, has terrible mechanics, has poor pocket presence, and is a "raw" talent?

I only watched the first video posted of him and can't make sense of 90% of the following posts.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Without going into a bunch of details yet, yes, there are connections and there is going to be a pretty fucking big one soon with UT as well

The hype is obviously due to the family, but anyone who has actually seen the dude play thinks he's about as close to a surefire NFL prospect as you will see at his age.

Was Byron Leftwich nonathletic? Daunte Culpepper? Ben Roethlisberger? I think guys that get that fucking big that fast get kind of saddled with a certain view about their general athletic abilities irrespective of reality. The dude sure as fuck isn't Ryan Mallett or Payton Manning unathletic.

Peyton Manning as an analyst confirmed

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I find all of the angst about Murphy to be laughable. After Ewers, he's the guy I've been cheering for Texas to land for 3 weeks. Texas has a healthy QB room right now and that isn't going to change. Wright is a high-floor guy who signed knowing that one of Thompson or Card would be there the entire time. Lourd matches the same. I'm sure one of Card or Thompson will transfer after the spring, and I get that, and I still think the QB room heading into this signing class will be healthy. 

So with that, take the fucking guy that has an elite asset in his repertoire. Always give me the guy with elite assets in some extreme manner versus the guy that's pretty well-rounded and generally above average. In Murphy's case, he has 3 elite fucking assets: 1) an NFL whip - this isn't arguable and is probably the best in the country in this class and a top 3-5 arm going backward in classes by 5 years; 2) size - he may be a big target, but give me the guy that can take a hit, stand tall and still make the throw; 3) he represents the surest path to a legitimate, sustainable pipeline to CA, which is a fucking fantasy this board and its predecessors has had for 2 decades. 

Compare that to Ewers and Ewers wins out. Compare that to Klubnik and Murphy wins. I don't give one fuck if it is going to hurt Todd Dodge's feelings, the aggie clan named Klubnik, or the Westlake honks that hover over the outskirts of UT fandom like fucking gargoyles. Klubnik is a long strider with mechanical issues of his own. Let him go be whiteboy awesome somewhere else and I'll take my chances. 

I have zero concern about taking Murphy, CJ Williams, and Hyphen from CA. Shit, are people fucking insane? Yes take those guys if you can get them. Williams is a big possession WR? Fucking great. He's a high character, charismatic guy as well. Get Thompson and Stewart to take the top off of defenses and he's fine as a possession take. Got plenty of DBs in Texas this go-round? Great. Sign 4 of them and take Hyphen. Suddenly we're real again in CA. Maybe we can find a couple of OLBs/DEs/ILBs to follow along from out there as well. Texas HS coaches might generally get mad? Fuck those room temp IQ assholes. They haven't done a fucking thing for Texas football on their own, ever.  If Texas wins, getting who we want in the state will not be a function of HS coaching support, but it will certainly happen. 

Give me all of that shit, plus the ability to mock Nahlin, Fatfuck Ketchum, and handwringers on this site along with it. Fucking A right.

It's absolutely hilarious that IT brings up Murphy's lack of results when their entire fucking industry is based on camps, measurements, and projections. Even the NFL values that stuff more than college production even though it's way more meaningful than high school production. They barely give a shit about high school results anyway when they rank these guys. Guys will go and break records in their senior year and get a negligible bump in return.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I find all of the angst about Murphy to be laughable. After Ewers, he's the guy I've been cheering for Texas to land for 3 weeks. Texas has a healthy QB room right now and that isn't going to change. Wright is a high-floor guy who signed knowing that one of Thompson or Card would be there the entire time. Lourd matches the same. I'm sure one of Card or Thompson will transfer after the spring, and I get that, and I still think the QB room heading into this signing class will be healthy. 

So with that, take the fucking guy that has an elite asset in his repertoire. Always give me the guy with elite assets in some extreme manner versus the guy that's pretty well-rounded and generally above average. In Murphy's case, he has 3 elite fucking assets: 1) an NFL whip - this isn't arguable and is probably the best in the country in this class and a top 3-5 arm going backward in classes by 5 years; 2) size - he may be a big target, but give me the guy that can take a hit, stand tall and still make the throw; 3) he represents the surest path to a legitimate, sustainable pipeline to CA, which is a fucking fantasy this board and its predecessors has had for 2 decades. 

Compare that to Ewers and Ewers wins out. Compare that to Klubnik and Murphy wins. I don't give one fuck if it is going to hurt Todd Dodge's feelings, the aggie clan named Klubnik, or the Westlake honks that hover over the outskirts of UT fandom like fucking gargoyles. Klubnik is a long strider with mechanical issues of his own. Let him go be whiteboy awesome somewhere else and I'll take my chances. 

I have zero concern about taking Murphy, CJ Williams, and Hyphen from CA. Shit, are people fucking insane? Yes take those guys if you can get them. Williams is a big possession WR? Fucking great. He's a high character, charismatic guy as well. Get Thompson and Stewart to take the top off of defenses and he's fine as a possession take. Got plenty of DBs in Texas this go-round? Great. Sign 4 of them and take Hyphen. Suddenly we're real again in CA. Maybe we can find a couple of OLBs/DEs/ILBs to follow along from out there as well. Texas HS coaches might generally get mad? Fuck those room temp IQ assholes. They haven't done a fucking thing for Texas football on their own, ever.  If Texas wins, getting who we want in the state will not be a function of HS coaching support, but it will certainly happen. 

Give me all of that shit, plus the ability to mock Nahlin, Fatfuck Ketchum, and handwringers on this site along with it. Fucking A right.

I really hope Card stays even if he doesn't win the job. He's still a true Freshman so would still be in line to start after a couple years of Casey. With him in the boat, there's a lot less downside to taking Murphy. No doubt Thompson would portal.

Murphy's lack of athleticism is being overblown for sure. He isn't exactly quick but he moves well enough and Murphy's fucking huge which will enable him to break tackles and buy time in the pocket to make big plays down field. Once he does get moving he looks fast, just takes him a bit to get to top speed. I also agree that he's a better fit for what Sark wants to run so I'm not surprised if he's being prioritized.

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Williams is a big possession WR? Fucking great. He's a high character, charismatic guy as well.

It would also be a badass message to send, not only is he a Mater Dei kid (fuck you USC) but he's also a Bama legacy (his dad was a BB player at Bama). Anytime we can take a shit on either of those schools we should. Going 2-for-1 and getting a good football player out of the deal is $. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I do think that "Hyphen" (Turner-Gooden) is a stud. Do people like him better as a WR or DB?

https://247sports.com/Player/Larry-Turner-Gooden-46056208/

I'm no evaluator but have to think we take him as a safety due to a smaller WR class in 2022 and us trending positively for our top WR targets

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m stealing “whiteboy awesome”.

Klubnik is very, very good. But the people that think he’s better than Ewers or Murphy are probably the same people that thought LJH was a better pro prospect than CJ. 

Depends on what you mean by "better". If you had to pick a QB to go play a game tomorrow it is hands down Klubnik based on his actual performance against elite Texas HS competition. Maalik has the "better" skills for future success, but it's all potential until he shows it on the field.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Without going into a bunch of details yet, yes, there are connections and there is going to be a pretty fucking big one soon with UT as well.

I am taking this to mean Texas is hiring Peyton and Cooper Manning as the new Directors of Player Personnel until proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

This is a good point, Card had 82 passing attempts total when we took his commitment. Different staff and all but it's not all that weird to evaluate a HS qb using camps and coaches before they have a ton of game film. 

Aside from the passing, a big selling point for Card was positional versatility (WR). It's not quite apples to apples.

However, a lot of the QB evaluation that takes place isn't just in camps but in home and at the kids school. It's hard to know for us on the internet to know what a kid is like mentally and emotionally. The latter being talked up for Murphy (and Card early on) is a good indicator. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting