Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

The issue with the old BMDs not wanting to play the bag game has been covered extensively over the years, but where the hell are our young(er) rich alums? I know @closetocarton alluded to some sort of beef with CDC, but I guess I missed the details on that…real nice of them to cut off our nose to spite our face though.

I wasn’t involved in the “ young money is angry with CDC and won’t participate in the bag game because of it “ narrative. 

Feldman/Athletic: Elite 11 takeaways: West Coast well-represented, but Texas quarterbacks shined the brightest

7. The guy everyone seemed to be most split on was Texas commit Maalik Murphy. He struggled Friday in seven-on-seven, and he knew it. I was around him when he discussed it with one of the Elite 11 coaches, and Murphy handled that exceptionally well. He came across as sincere and accountable, focused on trying to get better. Not making excuses or being obtuse.

Murphy, at 6-5 and 230 pounds, has a huge frame and big arm; if you told me he was 6-5, 245, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s engaging and fun to be around. The guys I spoke to think he’s very coachable. He was inconsistent this week, but keep in mind, he has started only six high school games, and as one of the other Elite 11 QBs told me the other night, Murphy just turned 17 recently and is one of the youngest quarterbacks at the event. It’ll be fascinating to watch his development.

Murphy plays with real confidence in his ability to make throws into tight windows, and he displayed that several times. That’s something a lot of young quarterbacks shy away from in settings like this one. His attitude indicates he’s going to embrace getting better in the detail work and the finer nuances of the position.

Full:

Spoiler

Elite 11 takeaways: West Coast well-represented, but Texas quarterbacks shined the brightest

AP21017759784727-scaled-e1614736010179-1024x686.jpg
By Bruce Feldman Jul 3, 2021 comment-icon.png 46 save-icon.png

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. — It was a fun four days of football in Southern California, a place that has produced more than its share of special quarterbacks. Mira Costa High was home to this year’s Elite 11 and The Opening, and the West Coast was well-represented, but the Texas kids shined the brightest here this week. Those are the guys I’ll most remember from this event. Here are 13 takeaways from the Elite 11.

Related: Elite 11 daily tracker

1. The most impressive quarterback was from Texas, but for at least this week, it wasn’t Quinn Ewers, the player who has the rare perfect ranking from 247Sports. Ewers was excellent overall, but the guy who I thought outshined him was Cade Klubnik, a Clemson commit from powerhouse Austin Westlake. The wiry 6-foot-2, 185-pounder, ranked as 247Sports’ No. 6 QB entering the event but likely is headed for a better ranking soon. He was the MVP selected by the Elite 11 coaches and led his team to the seven-on-seven tournament championship. His accuracy sparkled each day. He showed he could throw very well on the move, and he seemed dialed in throughout the event, which separated him from most of the other top guys who flashed at times but weren’t as consistently sharp.

Clemson, which is in the midst of quite a run of gifted quarterbacks, has another terrific one on the way. From talking to coaches about Klubnik and from observing him the past few days, it feels like the bust factor — the chance that he won’t come close to the hype — is going to be very low. I’ll be really, really surprised if he doesn’t have an excellent college career.

2. Conner Weigman, another Texan, is a thicker kid than Klubnik but also displayed good athleticism. Weigman sprayed the ball around early the first night a bit, but I liked how after that he responded by winning the night’s “Hole Shot” throwing competition. That kind of resilience bodes well. Weigman’s strong and should be a good fit for Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M. Like a bunch of the more highly ranked QBs in this group, the coaches I spoke with seemed all over the place on what they thought of his skill set.

3. Ewers has a lot of ‘wow’ to his game. He throws an incredibly tight ball and makes it look effortless. He can sling it around from all sorts of arm angles. His high school coach, Riley Dodge, a former A&M and UT graduate assistant, raved about his athleticism and said the Ohio State commit could play college basketball if he wanted to go in that direction. Ewers’ seven-on-seven team struggled Saturday and never looked in rhythm, which isn’t shocking considering the skill guys the quarterbacks get paired with can be a mixed bag, and there’s little time to get in rhythm. Ewers already has crafted an amazing prep career at Southlake Carroll. Dealing with the recruiting hype that has been heaped on him won’t be easy. In my conversation with Dodge, he sounded confident that his guy has the right makeup to handle it. I suspect playing for someone like Ryan Day, with his temperament, will help on that front.

4. Devin Brown entered the event ranked No. 22 among the QBs by 247Sports, but he generated a ton of buzz in the first two days of the camp. He’s about 6-3 and can really rip the ball. Here’s what I really liked about him. I thought his “pro day” workout in the Thursday night event was as impressive as any of the quarterbacks, and that included the counselors. He rose to the moment and looked in command with a hot hand, like he was clearing out the racks and draining jumpers in a 3-point contest. If I was a Trojans fan, I’d be excited about him, and Clay Helton’s staff deserves a lot of credit here. Just like with Sam Darnold and Kedon Slovis, the Trojans found and went all in on a (relatively) unheralded gem.

5. Walker Howard seemed a little shorter than I expected, but he has a lot of juice. He’s listed at 6-1 and 195 pounds, and like Brown, he displayed a lot of confidence and command. Howard also looked really athletic. He’s set to go the same place where his father, Jamie, was a standout QB, LSU, and he’ll make a deep quarterbacks room that much better, joining Garrett Nussmeier and Max Johnson in 2022. Walker and Nussmeier — both second-generation QBs — may not have ideal size, but they are very dynamic and fit well in this generation of football.

6. I know Tennessee fans have endured a lot with their program of late, but they have a keeper in QB commit Tayven Jackson, a 6-4, 190-pounder. He had a lot of good moments that I saw. Jackson has a quick release and excellent feet. He’s a terrific all-around athlete and has a lot of presence to him. He’s an outstanding basketball player and golfer, too. I liked how he talked to the coaches and former NFL guys at the event. He seemed to have a lot of natural leadership qualities and charisma. I’d bet on this kid being a really good one for Josh Heupel.

7. The guy everyone seemed to be most split on was Texas commit Maalik Murphy. He struggled Friday in seven-on-seven, and he knew it. I was around him when he discussed it with one of the Elite 11 coaches, and Murphy handled that exceptionally well. He came across as sincere and accountable, focused on trying to get better. Not making excuses or being obtuse.

Murphy, at 6-5 and 230 pounds, has a huge frame and big arm; if you told me he was 6-5, 245, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s engaging and fun to be around. The guys I spoke to think he’s very coachable. He was inconsistent this week, but keep in mind, he has started only six high school games, and as one of the other Elite 11 QBs told me the other night, Murphy just turned 17 recently and is one of the youngest quarterbacks at the event. It’ll be fascinating to watch his development.

Murphy plays with real confidence in his ability to make throws into tight windows, and he displayed that several times. That’s something a lot of young quarterbacks shy away from in settings like this one. His attitude indicates he’s going to embrace getting better in the detail work and the finer nuances of the position.

8. Coming in, Drew Allar, a Penn State commit, reminded some of the Elite 11 coaches of a young Josh Allen. That’s hefty praise. I’ll go with this: He’s the most physically gifted quarterback James Franklin has landed since he has been in Happy Valley. He was very impressive the first two days of the camp and then like many of the QBs at the event, tailed off some. The Penn State staff has a lot to work with in Allar.

9. Alabama commit Ty Simpson looked like one of the guys you would think has been groomed well to be a college QB. On Friday, there were a few shaky moments for his seven-on-seven team, and he bounced right back to throw touchdowns.

10. I never heard of Duce Robinson, a 2023 tight end from Arizona and son of former Florida State defensive back/wideout Dominic Robinson, a former five-star back in the 2001 class, until this week. But he turned my head a few times by making some amazing catches, including Moss-ing some talented cornerbacks in the tournament title game. It was the most impressive play I saw this week. Remember his name.

11. I ran into Clemson star wide receiver Justyn Ross on Friday night. He said his recovery is going great. Sounds like the Tigers will have their big wideout back and ready to make a lot of big plays this fall. Ross missed the 2020 season after having surgery because of a spinal issue he was born with.

12. Former Michigan QB Devin Gardner worked the event as an Elite 11 coach this week. It’s the first time I’ve been around Gardner since his playing days in Ann Arbor. He is now a colleague, having been signed as a broadcaster by FOX Sports and the Big Ten Network. Everyone around there this week got to see his energy and personality. He’s a private QB coach back in Michigan and was great with the kids. My hunch is he’s going to have a very bright future as a TV guy.

13. I wrote about Liberty quarterback Malik Willis a few months ago and the buzz building about his NFL Draft stock given his rocket arm and his wheels. The thing I didn’t quite grasp about the former Auburn QB was just how muscled he is, especially in his lower body. He’s built like an NFL linebacker. I’m guessing he’s about 6-2, maybe 235 pounds. Is he a little too thick right now as a quarterback? I don’t know. The ball jumped out of his hand like no other quarterback in the stadium this week.

(Photo of Cade Klubnik: Cal Sport Media via AP Images)

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh.png
MEH
rating-solid.png
SOLID
rating-awesome.png
AWESOME

Bruce Feldman is the National College Football Insider for The Athletic. One of the sport’s leading voices, he also is a sideline reporter for FOX College Football. Bruce has covered college football nationally for more than 20 years and is the author of numerous books on the topic, including "Swing Your Sword: Leading The Charge in Football and Life" with Mike Leach and most recently "The QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks". Follow Bruce on Twitter @BruceFeldmanCFB.

• Hook 'Em 3

There’s plenty of willing young money in our fan base. The issue is engagement and organization. Work will get done to put something together and then it all falls apart at the last minute. Seen it happen twice. There’s also concern that people could get exposed and alienated from the program. 

Most of the young O&G guys I’ve talked to that have donated seem to really like CDC. He does a good job of making them feel special. It’s the older crowd that was involved in the UM stuff that soured on him. From the guys I know in that crowd, CDC sounds like a fucking moron to me. Lots of complaints about his thoughts and suggestions during the UM saga/coaching change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://n.rivals.com/news/tuesdays-with-gorney-final-thoughts-on-elite-11-the-opening

There are two schools of thought on Murphy: Everyone knows the Texas commit looks like a million bucks and in camp and 7-on-7 settings he can deliver the goods as well as anybody in the country but in games he struggles. I’m changing any negative feelings about him now and I’m convinced when surrounded with a strong offensive line and playmakers at receiver, Murphy is going to be a star in Austin.

He was so good during long stretches at the Elite 11, he’s arguably the best looking QB from a physical standpoint in the country and when he has receivers who can get open and make plays, Murphy is going to be great for the Longhorns.

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, so are the defenses. It’s a fair point.

I think it's too early to say we don't have those things. Nobody on this offensive line has received adequate coaching in their college careers, yet many of them came in here with talent. Flood is supposed to be great and compound that with the fact that he's coaching within the same offensive system as before, the odds are good that the offensive line will perform better. If it doesn't, then I guess the point is valid. With regards to WR, it also could have playmakers but we're not going to know for a few months. It has no PROVEN playmakers, but Worthy, Whittington, and Omeire at minimum are purported to have ability and the physical traits.

But hell, I don't think even last year's OL going up against the defenses they faced were outclassed in the way that Maalik's high school one was. His team is terrible.

Edited by Bevo14

22 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

It's interesting too because we've made some surprising moves with recruits that likely require playing the game (Owens, Perkins, Stewart). Just not quite enough to close. I have no idea but it may just take time to get more boosters on board especially now that it can be in the form of NIL which is likely more palatable to some boosters.

Look at the example a Miami booster is setting. NIL should have made it so much more 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Look at the example a Miami booster is setting. NIL should have made it so much more 

Yeah. This is the kind of shit I expected Texas to be doing. I'm surprised and completely unsurprised at the same time to see us wet farting this shit right out of the gate. This is what I wanted Michael Dell to be doing. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, irishtexan said:

Does Michael Dell give a fuck about the football team? Serious question. I have no idea. 

Not to my knowledge in any particular manner, but he's an Alum with fortune 50 company. He's supported UT before. The guy could easily point a localized marketing department and shower UT players with money and it would barely show up as a rounding error in their budget. This is the kind of thing I expect our Athletic Director to not only get done, but to have had it lined up in advance. If a Miami Booster with some MMA gyms can think ahead and be pro-active, you'd think every Athletic Director in the country could maybe do the same, including ours. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait. Hayes Fawcett is joining On3. I realize I've been on vacation, but I can't believe  missed this...

https://www.on3.com/news/hayes-fawcett-is-the-on3-social-media-football-recruiting-expert/

@texifornia must have Satya'd in his pants. 

Eh, he knows all the recruits and is a great self-promoter. It's a solid idea for them. Just have to keep his trash cookie-cutter wax figure edits off their site.

Edited by texifornia

19 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

I speak from results. It’s the difference between Michigan’s roster and Ohio State’s roster. One doesn’t pay and the other does. Michigan wins 9-10 games a year and doesn’t sniff the playoffs. Ohio State wins 11+ games and is always in the hunt for the playoffs.

It is a fact that the teams who drop bags end up winning and being contenders in the CFP. If these bad character bag holders were so terrible then why do they experience so much success in winning as well as NFL draft picks?

You might have experience but it sounds outdated and stale.

Funny how you "know" stuff... that you honestly do not know.   Comparing Michigan and Ohio State to Texas is fucking stupid.  NEITHER has remotely the media scrutiny that Texas does.  And bagmen here simply will not work.  

But keep convincing yourself to the contrary.  And switch hands occassionally.... 😉

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 8

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Dell dropped out of UT after his first year right? As opposed to someone like Phil Knight who stayed at Oregon for all four years and graduated. Maybe that plays a role in disinterest for UT sports.

Maybe. But you get the guy on the phone and sell him, especially when it helps the whole university. Fundraising is supposed to be CDC's specialty, and Dell certainly didn't let dropping out of UT after his Freshman year stop him from being grateful and dedicated to UT in his life:

https://www.kut.org/education/2020-01-31/dell-foundation-announces-100-million-gift-to-ut-austin-for-low-income-students
https://www.statesman.com/article/20130131/news/301319689

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait. Hayes Fawcett is joining On3. I realize I've been on vacation, but I can't believe  missed this...

https://www.on3.com/news/hayes-fawcett-is-the-on3-social-media-football-recruiting-expert/

@texifornia must have Satya'd in his pants. 

Fawcett is the poster boy for overuse of HDR filters. Hopefully he never goes into photography.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

Funny how you "know" stuff... that you honestly do not know.   Comparing Michigan and Ohio State to Texas is fucking stupid.  NEITHER has remotely the media scrutiny that Texas does.  And bagmen here simply will not work.  

But keep convincing yourself to the contrary.  And switch hands occassionally.... 😉

The only fucking moron here is you. The Bag game can work anywhere with some forethought. It certainly hasn't been a problem for securing some basketball recruits. Oh, but we have so much scrutiny. You know who has more scrutiny than us, currently? Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson et al. Just shut the fuck up about what you don't understand you fucking rube. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Dell dropped out of UT after his first year right? As opposed to someone like Phil Knight who stayed at Oregon for all four years and graduated. Maybe that plays a role in disinterest for UT sports.

That doesn't matter. He still supports UT. A better question is whether he would drop bags. I know him well, and I would say no since he doesn't care about football. A better way with Dell is to have him contribute towards something community related and then move money around for football.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That doesn't matter. He still supports UT. A better question is whether he would drop bags. I know him well, and I would say no since he doesn't care about football. A better way with Dell is to have him contribute towards something community related and then move money around for football.

Yeah, if you look at Dell's history of giving it has been more focused on improving the community.  Whether it is the medical school or children's hospital, or the funding for scholarships for low income students.  He's not who I would chase for NIL sponsorships.  GSD&M could be a big play though.  A couple of those guys are big UT football fans. Plus they're already in Advertising/Marketing.

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
typo

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s probably right after his dumbass take on the bag game not working at UT.  It absolutely would if the right fans wanted it to.  

Agreed. Other one only wins out because it is currently extremely false and not predicting an (extremely obvious) future outcome.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That doesn't matter. He still supports UT. A better question is whether he would drop bags. I know him well, and I would say no since he doesn't care about football.

It seems like he used to care. Maybe that's changed.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How about mental health?

• Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting