Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CC901F8F-CBA5-41B2-8798-30E645F27ED3.jpeg

The bonus is wonderful, but how much are they making as an actual salary on top of it? Say they take 3-4 years to make it to the majors and you divide that into a yearly contract and it looks strikingly similar to what you'd expect from top level recruits. Plus you can't tell me aggy isn't going to want to prove their inferiority complex by trying to have the highest paid QB in the country.

When they're referencing a "positive move", what they mean is the kind of move that has 4 wheels, is made in England, is a hit in Africa and with trophy wives here. I still don't know if it matters, because the player isn't psyched about the ATM program. Assume Bama until he says otherwise at this point. 
Those things are pieces of shit that will live most of it's life in the dealership shop..

Especially when a teenager puts 24's with rubber band tires on it without doing a damn thing to the suspension.
  • Hook 'Em 2

There’s a difference between a silent commit at a position of massive need and a silent commit at a position you’ve almost filled up at. One, you can accept without stipulation, because they know you’ll continue to recruit additional players. The other is, hey, you can silently commit all you want but we’re going to continue recruiting until we’ve filled our desired quota of actual commitments.

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty sure he locked into aTm super early, and on top of that there’s quite a bit of speculation he’ll be a 1st round mlb pick. Well see if that doesn’t tempt the kid. 

Wasn't there a report at some point that he was enrolling early and pulling his name from draft consideration?

2022 Weekend Visitors

Official visits:
No. 55 Kristopher Ross (Houston North Shore) - #AllGasNoBrakes
No. 183 Lander Barton (Salt Lake City Brighton)
CB Ronald Lewis (New Orleans Warren Easton) - #AllGasNoBrakes

2022 unofficial:
EDGE J'Mond Tapp, Ascension Catholic (Donaldsonville, La) - #AllGasNoBrakes
EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - #AllGasNoBreaks

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

2022 Weekend Visitors

Official visits:
No. 55 Kristopher Ross (Houston North Shore) - #AllGasNoBrakes
No. 183 Lander Barton (Salt Lake City Brighton)
CB Ronald Lewis (New Orleans Warren Easton) - #AllGasNoBrakes

2022 unofficial:
EDGE J'Mond Tapp, Ascension Catholic (Donaldsonville, La) - #AllGasNoBrakes
EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - #AllGasNoBreaks

No more Skinner or Coleman? Sheeit

1 minute ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Oh for sure, 2 years ago definitely. My question was more in reply to your "there's speculation he'll be a first round pick" and maybe that'll tempt him.

I don't think that was confirmed, but I could be mistaken. But we'll see what the kid says and does with a 3 million dollar signing bonus staring him down. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Hornlover said:

There sure is a shit-ton of angst for a recruiting class currently ranked 3rd on 247.

That’s is probably because we have brains and realize that’s not where our ranking will be when we miss out on most of the available blue chip targets. And then we have that pesky offensive line problem we still have not addressed. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That’s is probably because we have brains and realize that’s not where our ranking will be when we miss out on most of the available blue chip targets. And then we have that pesky offensive line problem we still have not addressed. 

And other classes behind us begin to fill up on said blue chips and pass us in those team rankings. 

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I wish we were recruiting like Georgia and OSU, but a Penn State or Notre Dame class isn't the end of the world. It just puts a lot more pressure on our evaluations and development which is very TBD.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I wish we were recruiting like Georgia and OSU, but a Penn State or Notre Dame class isn't the end of the world. It just puts a lot more pressure on our evaluations and development which is very TBD.

Good point. Ultimately blue chips is how you win natty's but its ignorant to think its the end all be all when we have lost games to Iowa state, Maryland, Kansas, and k state in the past decade. Sark will be successful or unsuccessful based on how he coaches, our last two coaches were simply good recruiters. His biggest issue will be whether or not the fanbase will give him time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Good point. Ultimately blue chips is how you win natty's but its ignorant to think its the end all be all when we have lost games to Iowa state, Maryland, Kansas, and k state in the past decade. Sark will be successful or unsuccessful based on how he coaches, our last two coaches were simply good recruiters. His biggest issue will be whether or not the fanbase will give him time.

We can also start to load up on transfers when some of these recruits don't pan out or want to leave.  We picked up a lot of on defense through the portal.

14 hours ago, Teryor said:

The bonus is wonderful, but how much are they making as an actual salary on top of it? Say they take 3-4 years to make it to the majors and you divide that into a yearly contract and it looks strikingly similar to what you'd expect from top level recruits. Plus you can't tell me aggy isn't going to want to prove their inferiority complex by trying to have the highest paid QB in the country.

It isn't even close to the same money. You are telling me college football players are making 600K a year? What fantasy world is this place you speak of? If you are a 1st or second round pick in MLB draft, you take the money, every time. You are a fool not to.

Edited by Longhornlove

9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

It isn't even close to the same money. You are telling me college football players are making 600K a year? What fantasy world is this place you speak of? If you are a 1st or second round pick in MLB draft, you take the money, every time. You are a fool not to.

We’re pretty early in the process and Quinn Ewers has already signed 7 figured worth of deals in his first month in college. $600k per year for a highly ranked QB recruit that could very well start at aggy for 2-3 years is certainly not out of the question. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We’re pretty early in the process and Quinn Ewers has already signed 7 figured worth of deals in his first month in college. $600k per year for a highly ranked QB recruit that could very well start at aggy for 2-3 years is certainly not out of the question. 

It sure as shit isn't a signed on the dotted line 2+ million dollar check either. Let's face it, Weigman or whatever the fuck his name is, isn't Quinn Ewers either.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We might be near a point where a 3yr starter QB could make more in college than from a 1st round MLB bonus.  But that hypothetical football payout will still be there after they get that guaranteed lump sum bonus check from the MLB.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We might be near a point where a 3yr starter QB could make more in college than from a 1st round MLB bonus.  But that hypothetical football payout will still be there after they get that guaranteed lump sum bonus check from the MLB.

Are you taking that chance that you might be a 3 year starter? You might get big NIL money? Ewers currently is the exception, not the rule and most likely will be util Arch Manning and then he will be the exception not the rule. 

2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Wasn't there a report at some point that he was enrolling early and pulling his name from draft consideration?

If Weigman enrolls in Jan he would not be eligible for the MLB draft.   Also, the MLB draft is not as appealing with reduced rounds and bonuses (unless you are a top prospect).  Weigman may choose to play both and later make his career decision.   If you are not familiar with Brauninger,  he is an aggy recruiting analyst who provides baseball news.

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Got an article about it on TCU 247 board if anyone has it.

here ::

Spoiler

One of the state's best is closing in on a college decision. And I like where TCU stands at this point in the process.

Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial Top247 cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau has a final three of Texas, TCU and Texas A&M. A former Longhorns verbal, he reopened the process on July 21. The Horned Frogs have been in great shape since then. On Wednesday afternoon I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Gary Patterson and company. "TCU is just a school that shows love to me and I know they will develop me and put me in the NFL!" Guilbeau recently told 247Sports. "They're that type of school."

Guilbeau is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation's No. 13 cornerback and No. 88 prospect overall. He has been selected to play in the All-American Bowl following his senior season.

247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks is high on the 5-foot-11 1/2, 180-pound Guilbeau.

"Possesses good size and great length for a corner. Adequate height with a plus wingspan (6-2). Two-sport athlete who runs track (400 meters). Consistently stays low in backpedal. Willing to mix it up at the line of scrimmage. Disruptive at the catch point, thanks in part to length. Shows encouraging competitiveness when the ball is in the air. Shows an occasional hitch when redirecting. Willing tackler but needs more bulk to maximize arriving power. Testing and track context suggests there's more meat on the bone regarding top-end speed. Good-sized, instinctive corner with good tools. Projects to high-major level with long-term NFL Draft potential given proper development and increased explosiveness."

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Got an article about it on TCU 247 board if anyone has it.

Fong, on Guilbeau.

Spoiler

One of the state's best is closing in on a college decision. And I like where TCU stands at this point in the process.

Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial Top247 cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau has a final three of Texas, TCU and Texas A&M. A former Longhorns verbal, he reopened the process on July 21. The Horned Frogs have been in great shape since then.

On Wednesday afternoon I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Gary Patterson and company.

"TCU is just a school that shows love to me and I know they will develop me and put me in the NFL!" Guilbeau recently told 247Sports. "They're that type of school."

Guilbeau is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation's No. 13 cornerback and No. 88 prospect overall. He has been selected to play in the All-American Bowl following his senior season.

247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks is high on the 5-foot-11 1/2, 180-pound Guilbeau.

"Possesses good size and great length for a corner. Adequate height with a plus wingspan (6-2). Two-sport athlete who runs track (400 meters). Consistently stays low in backpedal. Willing to mix it up at the line of scrimmage. Disruptive at the catch point, thanks in part to length. Shows encouraging competitiveness when the ball is in the air. Shows an occasional hitch when redirecting. Willing tackler but needs more bulk to maximize arriving power. Testing and track context suggests there's more meat on the bone regarding top-end speed. Good-sized, instinctive corner with good tools. Projects to high-major level with long-term NFL Draft potential given proper development and increased explosiveness."

TCU has nine commits thus far in 2022 including two other in-state four-stars in receiver DJ Allen and receiver Matthew Golden.

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

here ::

Hide contents

Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial Top247 cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau has a final three of Texas, TCU and Texas A&M. A former Longhorns verbal, he reopened the process on July 21. The Horned Frogs have been in great shape since then. On Wednesday afternoon I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Gary Patterson and company. "TCU is just a school that shows love to me and I know they will develop me and put me in the NFL!" Guilbeau recently told 247Sports. "They're that type of school."

I don't think anyone would have been surprised with TCU when he first reopened the recruitment, but very interesting to act like nothing has changed since then given all the chatter from our 9.95ers. 

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

We have recruited better than Pedo State and Notre Dame and still don't have the necessary talent at several key positions to win consistently. Time to recruit like Bama, OSU and Georgia. The likelihood of the 4 and 5 stars being studs is much higher than the 3 stars we are staring at right now if we miss our remaining top targets. I say no to bread!

37 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Fong, on Guilbeau.

Reveal hidden contents

Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial Top247 cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau has a final three of Texas, TCU and Texas A&M. A former Longhorns verbal, he reopened the process on July 21. The Horned Frogs have been in great shape since then.

On Wednesday afternoon I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Gary Patterson and company.

"TCU is just a school that shows love to me and I know they will develop me and put me in the NFL!" Guilbeau recently told 247Sports. "They're that type of school."

TCU has nine commits thus far in 2022 including two other in-state four-stars in receiver DJ Allen and receiver Matthew Golden.

Not a hella hella confident pick and write-up, buuuutt...  We'll see. I can see it being TCU no doubt.

33 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We have recruited better than Pedo State and Notre Dame and still don't have the necessary talent at several key positions to win consistently. Time to recruit like Bama, OSU and Georgia. The likelihood of the 4 and 5 stars being studs is much higher than the 3 stars we are staring at right now if we miss our remaining top targets. I say no to bread!

If you're only evaluating recruiting success with class rankings, then you are doing it wrong. Both of those teams have had more successful recruiting than us. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

If your only metric of recruiting better is class rankings, then you are doing it wrong. Both of those teams have had more success recruiting than us. 

Am I? We outranked them between 2018 to 2020 by a wide margin and those are the recruits we have on the team now. I don't mind recruiting 3 stars if they are identified as priority targets from the onset but if we are consistently falling back on 3 stars after missing our first targets, then we will continue to have bread in key positions of need.

17 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Am I? We outranked them between 2018 to 2020 by a wide margin and those are the recruits we have on the team now. I don't mind recruiting 3 stars if they are identified as priority targets from the onset but if we are consistently falling back on 3 stars after missing our first targets, then we will continue to have bread in key positions of need.

If you re-calculated for attrition to account for what this coaching staff actually has to work with, I’d bet we’re behind all the teams you listed. And that doesn’t even account for bad scheme fits, personality clashes with coaches, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Their 2018 class has 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder to go with multiple starters.

Their 2019 has performed much better than ours thus far as well

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you re-calculated for attrition to account for what this coaching staff actually has to work with, I’d bet we’re behind all the teams you listed. And that doesn’t even account for bad scheme fits, personality clashes with coaches, etc. 

I agree with you in that our best classes during Tom Herman era had a lot of players who were not good scheme fits. We didn't recruit well at OL, LB, and WR, among others. We had hoped that our lower ranked recruits would develop but they didn't. It's mind bottling to think Texas can't land a 5* WR to save its life given how many talented WRs this state produces year in and year out. We missed out on all the top OLs last year, which many of us thought would be the year to load up at that position. At any rate, I am sure all of us can appreciate that we are lacking top talents at some key positions and it's not always about the team rankings.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

We have recruited better than Pedo State and Notre Dame and still don't have the necessary talent at several key positions to win consistently. 

No one is saying "sign 3-stars," but signing a shit load of 4-stars is fine if you have a good coaching staff. Gotta give the 5-stars proof of concept.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

So what.....Recruits, CTJ, and Golfclap are now like Texas High School coaches who get their feelings hurt when Texas goes out of state for better talent??

Seriously?  You two have cried for years for Texas to be more national in it's recruiting.  Sark is doing that and suddenly it's a negative?

Ya'll flip flop worse than NBA players...

Yeah, I don't follow all takes from golfclap, so I can't address anything for him, but your take on my posting is laughable bullshit. I want Texas to take the best guys, wherever they are. So ignoring out of state talent, as Mack did often, was stupid, as is taking comparable OOS talent when there's a willing in-state audience. Never have I had some sort of preference of one or the other. Texas should be taking the best guys irrespective of locality. 

19 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Out of curiosity, was reading through posts from February to see how this board reacted to the Murphy commitment and LOL:

Shoot, I thought you'd put me on ignore, BW?

In any event, that was 8 months ago. Things change, new shit comes to light, etc. We aren't probably getting those two other dudes from California. We also aren't likely to be getting anyone else from out that way because of Murphy. Meanwhile, the Texas guys aren't aligning with him either. So yeah, the $9.95ers were right and I've changed my POV on QB in this class. Beyond that, I still don't want Klubnick and haven't seen anything from him that would cause me to edit that part of the post. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting