Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Good point. Ultimately blue chips is how you win natty's but its ignorant to think its the end all be all when we have lost games to Iowa state, Maryland, Kansas, and k state in the past decade. Sark will be successful or unsuccessful based on how he coaches, our last two coaches were simply good recruiters. His biggest issue will be whether or not the fanbase will give him time.

He will get three years at a minimum. 

19 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

So what.....Recruits, CTJ, and Golfclap are now like Texas High School coaches who get their feelings hurt when Texas goes out of state for better talent?? Seriously?  You two have cried for years for Texas to be more national in it's recruiting.  Sark is doing that and suddenly it's a negative?

Ya'll flip flop worse than NBA players...

WTF are you smoking? IDGAF where the players are from and certainly have never said we shouldn't be in California. Quite the opposite, I've said that we should treat Southern California like an extension of Texas and make it a constant home. We should have a constant presence in that region and should have for decades. There should be kids growing up and waiting to be offered by Texas like a greater Houston or golden triangle kid. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger advocate for recruiting that region in our fan base. 

Can you not understand that taking Murphy is a risk/reward proposition and that was the discussion? And that his singular recruitment doesn't throw the entire west coast philosophy into the ocean?  One of the impacts that we discussed at length when he committed was that the skill players in this state don't have an existing relationship with him, nor do they have a grasp on his mentality, his skillset, his personality, etc ... I said that it was going to create problems with momentum and retention - and it has. This staff has decided that his upside is worth the downside of the loss of momentum and retention of players (specifically WR/TE) in this class. That's the extent of the conversation. Boiled down it's simply that if we had taken an in-state QB there would be more momentum with the in-state kids that have played with or against them for 10+ years. 

24 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Wow, how did we miss so badly in the 2019 class? This is just comical!

Screenshot 2021-09-22 12.10.34.png

Everybody was pretty excited about everyone of those commits. They weren’t considered misses then. We’ve had a huge development problem for years that has stretched across staffs. I’m hoping we’ve come to the end of this trend. But at this point I find it hard to care about recruit rankings and where this class falls especially since we’ve been beat by enough teams we out recruit over the years.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Everybody was pretty excited about everyone of those commits. They weren’t considered misses then. We’ve had a huge development problem for years that has stretched across staffs. I’m hoping we’ve come to the end of this trend. But at this point I find it hard to care about recruit rankings and where this class falls especially since we’ve been beat by enough teams we out recruit over the years.

Wish I could like this post more than once. If the new staff can identify the right guys and coach the shit out of them, that's heads and shoulders above what has been going on at Texas for over a decade. Then the next level can open.

52 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Wow, how did we miss so badly in the 2019 class? This is just comical!

Screenshot 2021-09-22 12.10.34.png

Some terrible outside-of-football evals in that class. McCoy and Smith were looking to transfer from the moment they stepped on campus, Kenyatta Watson's dad was about as helicopter as they come, Javonne Shepherd was in that class, Caleb Johnson and Juwan Mitchell were our JUCO LB saviors.  

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Some terrible outside-of-football evals in that class. McCoy and Smith were looking to transfer from the moment they stepped on campus, Kenyatta Watson's dad was about as helicopter as they come, Javonne Shepherd was in that class, Caleb Johnson and Juwan Mitchell were our JUCO LB saviors.  

Let's not forget the effect of injuries and medical issues on attrition and/or lack of development. DeGabriel Floyd, Whittington, Liebrock, Smith, Tillman, Mpagi, Derrian Brown.

• Rage+1 2

54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

To be fair, Juwan Mitchell was also a terrible inside-of-football eval, and then Herman and Orlando had the wisdom to run off the JUCO LB that was actually good at football before he ever played a down to make sure we were left with absolutely nothing at the position since Orlando hadn’t bothered to offer anyone the previous 18 months. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Owens was a take purely on his numbers. I’ve gotten more skeptical about those types of picks. The fast wide receiver from a few years ago that blew up late because of his forty time picked Alabama and has since transferred. Can’t recall his name. 

Tyrell Shavers

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

What is the story behind this. Can’t find anything on it 

There was a rumor on IT from a few weeks ago that there were 2 offensive and 1 defensive guy looking to portal to Texas. I jokingly added that the two offensive could be related to a certain break out LB on the Texas defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Owens was a take purely on his numbers. I’ve gotten more skeptical about those types of picks. The fast wide receiver from a few years ago that blew up late because of his forty time picked Alabama and has since transferred. Can’t recall his name. 

That's the big difference between Bama and UT.  Bama will trap door those flyers that don't work out.  Somehow we keep them on campus for 4-6 years.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

That's the big difference between Bama and UT.  Bama will trap door those flyers that don't work out.  Somehow we keep them on campus for 4-6 years.

Judging from the 2018-2019 classes, this isn't true.

Also, I just checked and Kenyatta Watson is not on Georgia Tech's 2-deep. 

12 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Judging from the 2018-2019 classes, this isn't true.

Also, I just checked and Kenyatta Watson is not on Georgia Tech's 2-deep. 

I don’t think Watson is playing much, but Georgia Tech does not release a 2 deep. They instead just release an “Above the Line” roster, that lists all the players who are “ready to play” in no particular order and Watson is on that.

It’s stupid and the coach seems like a pain in the ass.

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

There’s movement behind the scenes with getting Harris to hold off. I don’t know what it is exactly, but perhaps Guilbeau got wind of it through Fat Pat. Just speculation since TCU negative recruits the shit out of us.

There’s movement behind the scenes with getting Denver Harris to hold off? And Guilbeau would know about this and it would change this desire to come to Texas?

I don't think anyone would have been surprised with TCU when he first reopened the recruitment, but very interesting to act like nothing has changed since then given all the chatter from our 9.95ers. 

But things have changed in multiple ways from a sales perspective. TCU has as good a chance as anyone to win the Big 12 for the foreseeable future if it stays intact. Unfortunately for them, most folks won’t consider it a legit enough conference so they’ll be the odd man out until playoff expansion

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It takes more than being really fast and really big in college to succeed.

Generally I agree with this but some coaches seem to figure it out with those kind of guys.

Matt Rhule quickly rebuilt Baylor and leveraged that success into an NFL job by grabbing lightly recruited guys that were fast as hell. Not surprisingly, he really wanted Owens. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting