Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Texas will definitely sign a good OL class. 

This is some Aggy-level wishcasting right here. It's always possible that we flip a few guys with a 9-10 win season. But things look pretty fucking grim right now. We have two decent interior prospects signed, lost out on the one blue-chip tackle who was supposed to be a Texas lean, lost out on our primary RT target to the same school, are likely third for Dewberry, and no one has any fucking clue what Neto is doing. On top of that, I'm not aware of any backup plans that we're currently pursuing that are realistic options. I guess we're going to play the portal game. 

Additionally we only took 2 OL last year, both of whom project to the interior. And finally, our OL has looked like shit, so we can't use "OL is getting better under our stud OL coach" to point to. 

Not great, Bob.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lots of stupid people with stupid takes on this fucking page.

As Irish said, we took two last year and one sucks balls and probably gets processed out before next season. We have 2 in the boat this year, both interior guys. 

In 2020 we signed 4, one being another process candidate, another struggling to do shit after injury, Jake Majors, and another who is playing and inexplicably not enough because Flood seems to be a myopic size queen. 

In 2019 we signed 5. One was a 1 year rental and is gone, the highest ranked guy hasn't done shit and might be processed before next season, Javonne Shepherd needs no introduction, I believe Wilie Tyler is already gone and we have Isiah Hookfin. 

If you're looking at that 3 years of OL recruiting and thinking a) We've got talent in the pipeline and b) We're going to sign a good OL class despite no recent or medium history of signing anything even close to an AVERAGE OL class...well, you've got your head planted so far Mack Brown's asshole you've been eating his sunshine for meals the last several years. Wake the fuck up. We're in serious trouble. And if the performance on the field hasn't shown it to you, then you don't know football and probably scream Gland Slam when someone crosses the goal line. 

giphy.gif

Your hope, and apparently the staff's plan, is to raid the portal this season like it's South Austin's mom, and you'd better hope it's even a modicum as rewarding as she is, because otherwise we're the OTHER kind of fucked. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This is some Aggy-level wishcasting right here. It's always possible that we flip a few guys with a 9-10 win season. But things look pretty fucking grim right now. We have two decent interior prospects signed, lost out on the one blue-chip tackle who was supposed to be a Texas lean, lost out on our primary RT target to the same school, are likely third for Dewberry, and no one has any fucking clue what Neto is doing. On top of that, I'm not aware of any backup plans that we're currently pursuing that are realistic options. I guess we're going to play the portal game. 

Additionally we only took 2 OL last year, both of whom project to the interior. And finally, our OL has looked like shit, so we can't use "OL is getting better under our stud OL coach" to point to. 

Not great, Bob.

Every Offensive linemen out of high schools are projects period, end of story. That is just a fact of life. Do some contribute as and start as Freshman? Yes, but none are ready when they arrive on campus. O-Line is just different. I think the last Freshman lineman I saw that was ready was that center for Oklahoma several years ago but that is the exception, not the rule.

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby essentially confirming the Brenen Thompson silent to Texas by writing his daily blurb about him and saying if he had a CB he'd put it on Texas.

Gerry also saying good things about Thompson - but also confirming that it looks like it is going to be TCU for Guilbeau.

A silent commitment to Texas right now is about the most meaningless thing I can think of. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your hope, and apparently the staff's plan, is to raid the portal this season like it's South Austin's mom, and you'd better hope it's even a modicum as rewarding as she is, because otherwise we're the OTHER kind of fucked. 

I like this plan for the OL more than other positions. Do we think kids may be more open to "free agency" this year since they've had a year to process the new transfer rules? I hope so. The "our players suck" pitch should actually work better on transfers than recruits.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I like this plan for the OL more than other positions. Do we think kids may be more open to "free agency" this year since they've had a year to process the new transfer rules? I hope so. The "our players suck" pitch should actually work better on transfers than recruits.

Don’t worry I have zero faith we can get transfers paid or pay roster guys to stay.

• Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Not great, Bob.

Sark will hammer that portal and get this puzzle put back together. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

It would be decent but not great.  The foot issue thing for Thompson is a concern, Coleman is very overrated by the recruiting services, and Hudson would be on his third commitment if he ends up with us which is always a red flag.

Hudson would be a big addition. If you actually look up a talus bone spur it reads as an ankle joint issue, not a foot issue. I agree Coleman is a little overrated, but he does have verified numbers from one of the Nike camps in 2019.

9 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Hudson would be a big addition. If you actually look up a talus bone spur it reads as an ankle joint issue, not a foot issue. I agree Coleman is a little overrated, but he does have verified numbers from one of the Nike camps in 2019.

We need a minimum of three and probably four guys with legit 4.4 or lower speed at WR to really make this offense scary. Worthy is one, if Thompson actually sticks, that would be two. My best bet for the third would be Hudson, Stewart feels like the rest of the elite prospects this cycle with their mysterious drift away late in the cycle and I have a hard time believing Hudson sticks to SMU.  

Edited by Vertigo

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We need a minimum of three and probably four guys with legit 4.4 or lower speed at WR to really make this offense scary. Worthy is one, if Thompson actually sticks, that would be two. My best bet for the third would be Hudson, Stewart feels like the rest of the elite prospects this cycle with their mysterious drift away late in the cycle. 

awkward-side-eye.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Hmmmm LTG decommits right as Guilbeau tried to say we will have to “match” what TCU is gonna do for him with the NIL. 

Enjoy the glorified AAC big guy. 

LTG was a take regardless of what Guilbeau was doing.

Also, Texas doesn't have to do any sort of matching with NIL when it comes to freaking TCU.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

We need a minimum of three and probably four guys with legit 4.4 or lower speed at WR to really make this offense scary. Worthy is one, if Thompson actually sticks, that would be two. My best bet for the third would be Hudson, Stewart feels like the rest of the elite prospects this cycle with their mysterious drift away late in the cycle and I have a hard time believing Hudson sticks to SMU.  

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

LTG was a take regardless of what Guilbeau was doing.

Also, Texas doesn't have to do any sort of matching with NIL when it comes to freaking TCU.

Staff isn’t convinced Guilbeau is a corner, like him better at safety. They like LTG a lot more there. 

And who knows if he even has an NIL deal at TCU. That’s why I put match in quotations. Point is, nice try kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Perhaps people who follow recruiting more closely can answer this question for me. Is it relatively easy to find good OLs in the portal? If they were good, wouldn't they be in the 2-deep and see plenty of playing time at their current school? It's not like the QB position where only one player gets playing time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Perhaps people who follow recruiting more closely can answer this question for me. Is it relatively easy to find good OLs in the portal? If they were good, wouldn't they be in the 2-deep and see plenty of playing time at their current school? It's not like the QB position where only one player gets playing time. 

Best bet is to poach good ones from G5 schools.  Like Calvin Anderson.  Or with a coaching change.

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Not easy at all. Grad transfer from a smaller program is easier (Calvin Anderson and Parker Braun), only one I can think of right now worth a shit is Wanya Morris and hes a giant pussy (and a sooner, not sure whats worse). Also LOVE the avatar, might be sexier than @BurntOrange&Whites

Edited by RGBIII
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Not easy at all. Grad transfer from a smaller program is easier (Calvin Anderson and Parker Braun), only one I can think of right now worth a shit is Wanya Morris and hes a giant pussy (and a sooner, not sure whats worse). Also LOVE the avatar, might be sexier than @BurntOrange&Whites

puke GIF

• Haha 2

Four-Star ATH Larry Turner-Gooden opens up his recruitment
GREG BIGGINS

Spoiler

Four-Star ATH Larry Turner-Gooden opens up his recruitment
GREG BIGGINS

It always seemed like more a matter of when, not if but Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany athlete Larry Turner-Gooden just de-committed from Arizona State and has re-opened his recruitment.

Turner-Gooden committed to ASU back in February in what was a huge early season coup for the Sun Devils. At the time, most felt like USC was the team to beat but the athlete had great relationships with several ASU coaches including Chris Hawkins, Antonio Pierce and Chris Claiborne, who coached him his freshman and sophomore years of high school at Calabasas.

In June, news broke that ASU was under investigation for potential recruiting violations and a few Sun Devil coaches were put on administrative leave, including Hawkins. For months, Turner-Gooden said he was still committed to ASU but also planned to take his official visits and was at Penn State over the weekend.

Earlier today, Turner-Gooden decided the time was right to open up his recruitment. 

"It was a tough decision but I think the coaches understood," Turner-Gooden said. "I've been keeping it 100 with them this whole time so I think they might have seen it coming. 

"I still have interest in ASU but with me taking the visits and talking with all the other coaches, it just seemed right to de-commit, open it back up and not feel like I'm sneaking around. I'm sure there will be a few more colleges talking with me now too since I'm de-committed and I just want to give myself every option I can."

Turner-Gooden raved about his recent visit to Penn State. 

“I can definitely see myself going here,” Turner-Gooden said. “The was incredible and they definitely moved up on my list. It was the craziest game atmosphere I’ve ever seen. The fans were wild and the game atmosphere is what stood out most for me about the visit.

“I also loved the family vibe that I felt. Everyone says they have a family atmosphere but it’s different out there, you can feel it and see it. I loved how close everyone was, players and coaches and then obviously the fan support just adds to that.”

Next up for Turner-Gooden is a visit to Texas.

"I'll be at Texas (Oct. 16) and I'm looking forward to that. I visited over the summer and really liked it there. It's family oriented and the coaches were great with me. I spent a lot of time with coach Gideon (DB coach) and talked with coach Sark as well.

“I did a workout with coach Gideon and got some great feedback from him. I've been talking with coach Gideon for awhile now and we have a good relationship and of course Maalik (Murphy) has been in my ear a lot about Texas as well so I'm excited about the official."

Turner-Gooden said he doesn't have any other trips set up but is talking with Colorado, LSU and USC. He's set to play in the All-American Bowl in Januaru and could make his announcement at that time.

"I'm open to everyone right now," Turner-Gooden said. "I've been to USC a number of times and have great relationships there. I know coach Meat (Demetrice Martin) at CU really well and he's almost like family.

"LSU is a great DB school and I've always had high interest in them Right now, I'm going to try and take all my visits and then my original plan all along was to commit at the All-American Bowl so we'll see if that happens now."

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I agree that grad transfers with real game experience are better bets but they are rare. Finding good underclassmen in the portal can't be easy at all, which makes recruiting good OLs with the right tools who can be developed all the more important.

If the NIL had been weaponized, poaching OL would be a lot easier, since we could offer them a package to come to Texas. Guys starting at other P5 schools who would normally be considered off-limits or not interested in shaking up their situation now all of a sudden might be interested in making a change. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting