Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Give me something clever and inspired, and I’m all about it. I’ve been thinking about one for a week and nothing right now has me excited. 

Happy for the game though. TCU tells us a whole lot. Forget SMU. This will be a fat patty jihad game. Which Texas is showing up? 

Texas Recruiting Notes 2022: Sloppy Seconds

SIAP, Gerry:

The Texas Longhorns have made the weekend of October 16 massive on the recruiting front. 

No. 1 in 2023 Arch Manning (New Orleans Isidore Newman) will be in town. SMU verbal and No. 29 Jordan Hudson(Garland High), No. 133 Earnest Greene (Bellflower,Calif./St. John Bosco) and No. 292 Larry Turner-Gooden (Mission Hills, Calif./Bishop Alemany) will be making official visits. 

And it’s time to add another big time name to the official visitor list. 

Quency Wiggins to officially visit Texas

On3 No. 22 Quency Wiggins (Baton Rouge, La./Madison Prep) will be making a return trip to Texas October 16. This time, the 6-foot-6, 270-pounder will be making an official visit. The weekend prior to the Texas visit, the Pelican State four-star will be making an official visit to Florida. LSU and Alabama are fighting over the last official visit currently. Both schools will receive an official visit, however. It’s just a battle for the last visit.

Jacoby Mathews likely to officially visit October 16

The No. 41 ranked prospect in the 2022 class is also likely to make official visit to Texas October 16. The one-time commitment to LSU has been trending to Texas A&M since decommitting from LSU July 30. Mathews lone official visit made to this point is Texas A&M June 18. He is expected back on campus in College Station this season (Alabama game likely). 

The Texas connection with Jacoby Mathews (Ponchatoula, La.) is Terry Joseph. The Longhorn defensive backs coach played for Ponchatoula head coach Hank Tierney in high school, and the two are very close. There has been some quiet growing confidence on the Texas side in regards to the chances in this recruitment. 

Optimism on Larry Turner-Gooden 

There is plenty of optimism in the recruitment of No. 292 Larry Turner-Gooden (Mission Hills, Calif./Bishop Alemany). The 5-foot-10.5 safety prospect with a 77-inch wingspan will return to Austin for an official visit October 16 weekend. He made an unofficial visit in June, and since that time has bonded with the Texas staff. There has been growing confidence on the Texas side prior to Turner-Gooden’s decommitment from Arizona State on Thursday. Turner-Gooden made an official visit to Penn State last weekend for the Nittany Lions win over Auburn, a game day atmosphere that will not be matched by any other school being considered. LSU, USC and Colorado are potential officials as well. The is a feeling of pressure at USC to lock down bmore prospects that are known among peers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Gerry - Yes, maybe, no

Texas Longhorns football recruiting couldn’t have enjoyed a better Saturday. 

Steve Sarkisian has the Longhorns looking esthetically pleasing on offense with the stars looking like stars. Couple that with Texas A&M hopes of a playoff season being lost like the Cowboys every season in Jerry World, and the Longhorns are gaining momentum on the trail. 

Inside Texas is back with our favorite recruiting game. Yes, maybe or not likely. 

Yes

Brenen Thompson, WR, Spearman (Texas)

On300 ranking: No.24

IT believes Texas leads for one of the nations fastest prospects. With the way Texas is looking on offense, and Xavier Worthy’s ascension quickly, it only helps Texas’ cause. Thompson can now see himself playing for and attending the University of Texas after his official visit last weekend.. 

Harold Perkins, LB, Cypress (Texas) Cy Park

On300 ranking: No. 8

There is no way around saying Texas is in a good position in Perkins recruitment. Showing up in Austin two weekends in a row, and IT knowing how much he likes Austin. He can see himself playing and going to school at Texas. With that said, there is a long ways to go in this recruitment. The plan has been to commit the first week of January at the Under Armour All-America Game. Texas now has the target on the back after the last two weekends. Texas A&M and LSU now view Texas as a serious threat. Alabama and Florida are also lurking. 

Larry Turner-Gooden, S, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany

On300 ranking: No. 292

The long-armed safety will be in Austin October 16 for an official visit. He was at Penn State for the massive win over Auburn. He will likely make an official to Arizona State in November. LSU and USC remain on the list. Texas is pretty confident here. 

Maybe 

Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco (Texas) Liberty

On300 ranking: No. 5

A lot of Florida chatter right now. He’s been on campus multiple times. He’s buddies with On300 QB and Gators commit Nick Evers. Let Nick Saban chip away at Florida on the November 6 official to Tuscaloosa. Keep scoring points, and hang around the rim. 

Denver Harris, CB, Houston (Texas) North Shore

On300 ranking: No. 12

The 5 star cover corner recently jokingly asked a Texas A&M commit why they committed to the Aggies over Texas, LSU or Alabama. This is a dog fight recruitment, but figured you guys would like that nugget. 

Jaleel Skinner, TE, Greer (S.C.) IMG Academy

On300 ranking: No. 17

Alabama already has two tight ends committed in the 2022 class. But the Crimson Tide are in it. Florida feels like they are in it, but we shall see. Texas has been top two for weeks now ahead of the announcement by the 5 star October 9. 

Devon Campbell, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

On300 ranking: No. 18

Another dog fight 5 star recruitment, as they should be. Oklahoma is very much in the mix. USC remains in the mix. Alabama will host the Campbell family October 2. LSU may get an official. Texas desires the last official visit. Keep winning, and scoring a lot of points. 

Bryce Anderson, S, Beaumont (Texas) West Brook

On300 ranking: No. 20

The Texas A&M verbal remains in contact with the Texas staff. The Longhorns are far from giving up here. And if the Aggies keep taking more L’s, this one will get interesting. 

Jordan Hudson, WR, Garland (Texas)

On300 ranking: No. 29

With the SMU verbal scheduling an official visit to Texas October 16, this recruitment moves to maybe. Will Ra’Shaad Samples be back at SMU next season after the Mustangs didn’t get an invite to the Big 12 powerhouse basketball conference? 

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (La.) 

On300 ranking: No. 41

Mathews is expected to make an official visit to Texas October 16. Terry Joseph has a very strong connection to the Ponchatoula head coach. This recruitment is a bit all over the place, however. Texas A&M has felt very good since the LSU decommit. Of course, Arkansas feels very good about life this morning after adding the Aggies to the W column Saturday. Things can change very quickly in recruiting. 

Neto Umeozulu, IOL, Allen (Texas) 

On300 ranking: No. 58

The Longhorns are working to get Umeozulu on campus for the massive October 16 recruiting weekend. Another hang around the rim recruitment. That is just what USC, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and possibly Alabama are doing. 

Kam Dewberry, IOL, Humble (Texas) Atascocita

On300 ranking: No. 68

Dewberry made an official visit to Oklahoma last weekend. He is still yet to schedule a final OV with Texas or Alabama the decision. He is expected to be back on campus in Austin this season at some point. Texas A&M and the Sooners have been in the best position. Ohio State and LSU are also in the mix. 

Shazz Preston, WR, Saint James (La.) 

On300 ranking: No. 87

Preston is expected to decide out of Alabama, Georgia, Texas and LSU. The Pelican State receiver already was intrigued with the Texas offense and ability to play early before 128 points scored the last two weeks. 

Earnest Greene, IOL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco 

On300 ranking: No. 133

Greene will be part of the huge October 16 recruiting weekend. Ohio State has been considered the leader for months. An official to Georgia was made this month. USC will work to hang around the rim. Make no mistake, Sark and Kyle Flood have Greene as a top target. 

Lander Barton, LB, Salt Lake City (Utah) Brighton

On300 ranking: No. 183

Difficult to imagine a better official visit weekend for the Longhorns and Barton. Barton made the visit this weekend with his parents. O the OV schedule next is Utah October 16 and Oregon October 30. A final official to either UCLA or USC remains a possibility. 

Jaylon Guilbeau, DB, Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial

On300 ranking: No. 184

The family is seemingly split in this recruitment. One favors TCU, the other Texas. Will Texas A&M panic a little after the loss to Arkansas and decide to go all in on the hard-hitting defensive back? Time will tell. A decision could come on his moms birthday in a few weeks. 

Not likely 

Terrance Brooks, CB, Little Elm (Texas)

On300 ranking: No. 15

The Ohio State verbal is expected on campus in Austin this season. The Buckeyes defensive struggles and Kerry Coombs chatter early this season have kept the door cracked. Terry Joseph is working hard on this one. 

Quency Wiggins, DL, Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep

On300 ranking: No. 22

A long time Pelican State source said this week, “Wiggins is feeling Texas”. So it comes without surprise IT broke the news Friday that the 6-foot-6, 270-pounder with an 85-inch wingspan will make an OV October 16. He will be at Florida four an official the prior weekend. With LSU and Alabama fighting for the final visit, it still remains not likely for now. 

Kelvin Banks, OT, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek

On300 ranking: No. 26

Texas continues to have communication with the Oregon commit. So does Texas A&M. 

Cameron Williams, OT, Duncanville (Texas)

The Longhorns continue to recruit the Oregon verbal. The 6-foot-5, 360-pounder plans to be in the Cotton Bowl October 9 to watch the Red River Showdown.

• Hook 'Em 2

So Harris asked Anderson.

The 5 star cover corner recently jokingly asked a Texas A&M commit why they committed to the Aggies over Texas, LSU or Alabama. This is a dog fight recruitment, but figured you guys would like that nugget. 

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So Harris asked Anderson.

The 5 star cover corner recently jokingly asked a Texas A&M commit why they committed to the Aggies over Texas, LSU or Alabama. This is a dog fight recruitment, but figured you guys would like that nugget. 

Obviously Bryce Anderson

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Give me something clever and inspired, and I’m all about it. I’ve been thinking about one for a week and nothing right now has me excited. 

Happy for the game though. TCU tells us a whole lot. Forget SMU. This will be a fat patty jihad game. Which Texas is showing up? 

Agreed. This is the week that we would take a step back under Tom Herman. Let’s see if we’ve really left all that behind.

Of course I don’t think we ever had a 35 point conference win under RGB, but still. 

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:44 AM, closetojumping said:

I'm sorry, but you think Sam Howell is a JAG? Okay then.

Yep, Jag.

Tens or hundreds of UNC football fans are about to start questioning whether or not FYPM is the answer at head coach. And in a year or two, the Texans fans are going to start thinking "Why did we draft Mitch Trubisky 2.0"?

Just watched the TCU/SMU game and this has to be the worst TCU defense since Patterson has joined the conference and possibly since he has been the head coach.  Only a Tom Hernan like game plan can prevent us from scoring at will on these guys. I think we can exercise a lot of demons on Saturday and I hope recruits are watching. 

• Hook 'Em 8

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Just watched the TCU/SMU game and this has to be the worst TCU defense since Patterson has joined the conference and possibly since he has been the head coach.  Only a Tom Hernan like game plan can prevent us from scoring at will on these guys. I think we can exercise a lot of demons on Saturday and I hope recruits are watching. 

I have PTSD from all the recent cockroach games. I will wait till we actually do it to feel good.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Bevo14 said:

I have PTSD from all the recent cockroach games. I will wait till we actually do it to feel good.

SMU ran the ball more effectively against TCU than we did against Rice. And SMU is not a run first offense. it would take coaching malpractice for us to have less than 300 yards rushing. I know we do not need any more help recruiting RB’s but maybe this can help with offensive line recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This kid has some of the most off-the-wall timing of any recruit I've ever seen.

Or maybe he’s easily mislead, as his name kinda almost suggests.

“Gunna hold off on my commitment coach.”

“What? We just beat SMU 70-35!”

“Coach that was Texas. Y’all lost to SMU..”

“Nah man they got the scores wrong on the ticker thing.”

“Oh ok lemme get my edit done.”
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So Denver Harris slept in, showed up at halftime, and didn't spend the night in Austin? Doesn't sound like a guy who's too excited about UT..

Also what the heck is happening with IT saying Perkins is now a yes and Campbell is a maybe. No bueno on Campbell

Allegedly Perkins committed. I don’t believe it but that was a rumor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

*Exorcise

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting