Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Bring me Sweaty Gary’s head

After their loss to SMU and Texas up next, Fort Worth will be under a flash flood watch the entire week.

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

So Denver Harris slept in, showed up at halftime, and didn't spend the night in Austin? Doesn't sound like a guy who's too excited about UT..

Also what the heck is happening with IT saying Perkins is now a yes and Campbell is a maybe. No bueno on Campbell

Harris strikes me as being pretty mercenary. No real surprise from a five star, but having said that, he probably wasn't expecting too much from Texas based on recent performance. I imagine the cork Texas popped on Tech caught his attention at the very least although there were also some clear issues on defense and his position to counter that. There could be any number of reasons why he didn't stay overnight, so wouldn't read too much into that. I imagine it will take more solid wins to sway him, and if they don't happen, it's off to Saban's factory.

As for Campbell, gotta think the OL improvement at least caught his attention if he isn't already sold on OU.

Edited by sith_horn

1 hour ago, JohnnyTapia said:

Todd Orlando was steadily getting gashed by the beavers run game all night and he made no adjustments lol

Nobody is going to make a "gashed by the beavers"  joke? Seriously?  Where have I gone wrong?

OTOH, "gashed by beavers"  would make a pretty good recruiting thread title.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Todd Orlando is laughing all the way to the bank.  He’s made about 7M in the past 5 years by fielding some of the worst defenses in the history of his respective employers.  

It's crazy to think he coached a bowl, Texas fired its head coach.

Coached the 2nd game at his next stop, USC fired its head coach.

3 games, 2 head coaches fired at two of college football's most storied programs.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It's crazy to think he coached a bowl, Texas fired its head coach.

Coached the 2nd game at his next stop, USC fired its head coach.

3 games, 2 head coaches fired at two of college football's most storied programs.

Well...

He wasn't DC for the Texas game before TH got canned (or Texas' bowl game the season before that, for that matter)

And he also coached the 2020 season without anyone getting canned.

Don't mistake this as defending the guy. Just noting what actually happened

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Well...

He wasn't DC for the Texas game before TH got canned (or Texas' bowl game the season before that, for that matter)

And he also coached the 2020 season without anyone getting canned.

Don't mistake this as defending the guy. Just noting what actually happened

My bad.  I thought he was d-coordinator against Colorado, then went to USC this year.

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My bad.  I thought he was d-coordinator against Colorado, then went to USC this year.

How could you forget the hiring of Chris Ash, after the freak out it created on this board? Only for the board to reluctantly think it was a decent hire and wanted him to stay on under Sarkisian.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

How could you forget the hiring of Chris Ash, after the freak out it created on this board? Only for the board to reluctantly think it was a decent hire and wanted him to stay on under Sarkisian.

There's a lot I've suppressed over the past 11 years.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

IT Scoop %'s

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

We are in a wild recruiting climate: new Texas staff, NIL, Texas voted into the SEC, etc.

In recent weeks, the staff has given the impression the game in Fayetteville won’t be indicative of the season, and oh by the way, Arkansas is a pretty capable team who just beat a chief recruiting rival.

If the Texas we saw on Saturday best typifies the 2021 Texas Football program, the staff is going to recruit quite well. It still won’t be easy, because it never is when battling top schools for top kids.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spreaman (Spearman, TX)

Eric: 75%. I’m just leery of one final, wild swing before he shuts things down but UT is certainly the team to beat. The earlier he decides the better for Texas.

Gerry: 75%. Texas has the lead, along with the offense and opportunity to get this done.

Justin: 70%. His official to Austin was large and watching the Horns recently has him in a burnt orange mindset.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (Garland, TX) (SMU)

Eric: 45%. SMU continuing to win complicates matters but it’s still really hard to envision him actually following through. He does like Samples, however.

Gerry: 35%. If rumors start swirling about Ra’Shaad Samples leaving SMU, this goes to 65+%.

Justin: 40%. I maintain I’d be surprised if he actually signs with Southern Methodist. Texas has his attention.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX)

Eric: 30%. I‘d give the slight edge to Florida right now but Texas can win it, especially if Arch Manning somehow jumps in the boat before Stewart decides.

Gerry: 31%. Florida, Texas, and Alabama will be duking this one out.

Justin: 25%. He remains the cream of the crop among in-state receivers for 2022 and Texas loves him. His Alabama visit looms large and UF’s pushing the right buttons.

WR Shazz Preston, St James (St. James, LA)

Eric: 20%. There was noise around Preston and Texas a few weeks ago but that has died down. UT finds itself in tough competition for him.

Gerry: 25%. Preston will make OVs to Alabama, Georgia and LSU. The question remains if Preston will return to Austin this season.

Justin: 25%. This could increase if LSU doesn’t get it together and the others grab bigger bait.

WR Kevin Coleman, St Mary’s (St. Louis, MO)

Eric: 15%. I get the notion Texas should try and do better, but I’m not exactly sure who with if they miss on the obvious targets.

Gerry: 5%. Mainly because Texas can do better, and should do better.

Justin: 5%. He’s still taking an official to Texas and they still act like they want him. But agree with Gerry, UT can upgrade here.

TE Jaleel Skinner, IMG Academy via Greer (SC) (Bradenton, FL)

Eric: 40%. I expect Texas to finish runner-up to Bama.

Gerry: 45%. Texas or Alabama with Florida still trying. Clemson and Miami remain in the mix.

Justin: 35%. Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks have his full attention. This might be a situation where the last man standing wins, with Miami and Florida State floundering.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX)

Eric: 70%. Campbell and family continue to follow their plan of taking their time and collecting as much data as possible. If Saturday turns out to be indicative of what Texas will be this season, 70% is probably too low.

Gerry: 50%. Texas or Oklahoma at the end of the day barring Nick Saban disrupting the recruitment October 2. Texas is expected to get the final OV.

Justin: 60%. Texas has been the pacesetter throughout this recruitment. Campbell has connected with Kyle Flood and UT staff. He just returned from USC’s dumpster fire vs Oregon State and still has a trip to Tuscaloosa in October.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX) (OREGON)

Eric: 15%.

Gerry: 10%. Texas remains in contact. Unless Banks makes it back to campus or Mario Cristobal leaves the Ducks, this one is a real long shot.

Justin: 15%. Texas had its shot and threw a duck. Maybe he likes being closer to home as December approaches, would be UT’s best opportunity.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX)

Eric: 40%. I think he ends up at whichever school has the best season between UT, OU, and A&M. OU probably leads at this point on the strength of Bill Bedenbaugh’s track record for development.

Gerry: 35%. Will Oklahoma implode? A&M looks like they could. Texas working to get the final OV over Alabama. Ohio State and LSU remain under consideration.

Justin: 30%. This one feels like out-of-state. The recruiting shift in momentum heading into October could increase these numbers.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX)

Eric: 20%. I don’t think it will be Texas but I have no clue where he is currently leaning, if anywhere.

Gerry: 30%. Texas is working to get Umeozulu in on the big weekend of October 16. USC, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and LSU also in the mix.

Justin: 10%. I just don’t see Neto at Texas right now. That could change, but don’t hold your breath.

OL Earnest Greene, St John Bosco (Bellflower, CA)

Eric: 30%. Word is high school coaches he trusts are telling him Ohio State is his best option. It’s not too late for Texas to flip the script, though.

Gerry: 30%. Ohio State is the leader until we hear otherwise. We’ll be paying close attention to word out of his October 16 official visit.

Justin: 35%. Texas and Greene have a great relationship and seems only to be growing. Watching players in Columbus in disarray helps the Horns cause. He’ll be in town on October 16th, then we’ll get a better handle in this pursuit.

DE Quency Wiggins, Madison Prep Academy (Baton Rouge, LA)

Eric: 15%. Bama or LSU.

Gerry: 25%. Texas, Florida, Alabama and LSU will receive OVs. Visits will decide this one.

Justin: 25%. Wiggins loved his Texas visit in late July and is returning for an official trip next month. I still think he’ll be difficult to pluck from LSU, Alabama.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (Cypress, TX)

Eric: 33%. I have difficulty seeing Texas closing this one out, but there is some reason for growing optimism.

Gerry: 51%. Perkins and family have been to Austin two straight weekends. Perkins loves Austin, maybe more than Texas. But he likes Texas too. Texas A&M and LSU will be in this fight until the end.

Justin: 38%. When I spoke with Perkins in the spring, the one thing about Texas he was adamant about was the opportunity to play a hybrid linebacker/safety in PK’s defense. Banks and staff are working overtime in these sweepstakes.

LB Lander Barton, Brighton (Salt Lake City, UT)

Eric: 30%. This recruitment has been kind of quiet but Texas and Barton have stuck to a plan. PK and Jeff Choate seem like the types who can pull this recruitment off but there are two many unknowns for me.

Gerry: 40%. Barton is open to leaving home. The Utes visit October 16, and Oregon October 30 will be telling.

Justin: 25%.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Galena Park, TX)

Eric: 51%. Next week I could have it 49% but Texas is going to stay in this one until the very end. UT has some tiebreakers working in its favor (proximity, 40-year decision, etc.).

Gerry: 40%. The fact that Harris didn’t commit on his 18th birthday September 22 ups the odds for Texas.

Justin: 35%. Whatever Eric says.

CB Terrance Brooks, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX) (Ohio State)

Eric: 10%.

Gerry: 15%. If Kerry Coombs gets run, this one goes way up. Alabama is also still in contact.

Justin: 10%. Someone should ask what Ka’Vaughn Pope thinks.

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA)

Eric: 40%. The public swings have been kind of crazy, I can only imagine what they’ve been like privately...

Gerry: 40%. Terry Joseph has done very good work here. This is a wild card recruitment. It’s a little all over the place. Texas A&M and LSU in it too.

Justin: 40%. Texas is hanging around the rim with the four-star after being in a strong position as late as May. There’s Something About Mathews.

DB Larry Turner-Gooden, St. Bernard (Playa Del Rey, CA)

Eric: 55%. If Texas goes all in on this recruitment I like UT’s chances. Defensive back numbers aren’t the easiest to understand, especially with a couple of commits looking like future safeties.

Gerry: 55%. Sark loves California recruiting. LT-G will be back on campus October 16 for the massive recruiting weekend. Penn State in it. LSU and USC chilling outside looking in, currently. Arizona State will likely get an OV too.

Justin: 40%. This is a recruitment where Maalik Murphy is lending a helping hand. But Penn State really knocked LTG’s socks off in Happy Valley. Texas spanking Okie State on October 16th would go a long way.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX) (Texas A&M)

Eric: 35%. With some wins leading to renewed recruiting momentum Texas could flop a great hand down the stretch for the Aggie coaches to deal with.

Gerry: 35%. Communication continues with Texas. Let’s see if Anderson and family head to Austin in October to take in the game day atmosphere.

Justin: 25%. This recruitment.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting